shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have an OEC engagement/wedding ring - do you regret?

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
This message board seems generally fond of OECs.

For the ladies who chose OECs as their main ring/engagement ring - do you have any regrets in choosing an OEC over a round brilliant?

I like the look. I am fairly confident I can get one that is "white" enough. Etc. I think I'd be happy, overall.

I think my only concern is - what if the final product sticks up too high? (Like, up too high from the setting.)

I'll google - but maybe PS has a thread where there people show their OECs/settings from the side?

I suspect I am borrowing trouble once again. I have looked at a bajillion pictures and I think I like OECs plenty.

I am planning to have the setting made, so none of this is something I can really try on for a quick comparison, etc.

Wondering if people who wear OECs daily have any regrets or desire to switch back to a RB?

Do you feel they sparkle enough, in general?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: If you have an OEC engagement/wedding ring - do you regr

I sometimes have regrets about NOT getting an OEC.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tourmaline|1470176812|4061832 said:
I sometimes have regrets about NOT getting an OEC.

Ditto, but 18 years ago I didnt even know what an OEC was. I love looking at the big facets and also knowing that the stone is old and has some hidden history that I'll never know.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just got one for my rhr. It's a 3 stone. And it is an amazing ball of fire and sparkle! So if you get the right one, no issues with sparkle!
Eta: I just saw your last question. My MRB is a 2.20 and my oec is a 1.08? If my oec was a 2.20, I would gladly swap it out for my MRB and I don't think I would miss it!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer round brilliant but OEC as a dress ring or antique look ring. There again I was on pricescope and the previous board where old cut diamonds were look down upon and when people asked about them they were told they did not have the sparkle as they were cut for old lighting type and so only looked good in low light settings and we would not be happy most of the time with them. Also told the cut on them were horrible and they had a see through hole in the bottom. How times have changed.

I just prefer what I have know in my lifetime so round brilliant for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most of the people here who have OECs had another kind of diamond ring before they changed to or added an OEC ring!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had two RBs and a cushion before my OEC and I wouldn't go back for any reason that I can imagine. I love it so much more than the others.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had the same question.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tique-cut.219320/page-2#post-4035621#p4035621

The OEC is the only e-ring I have now. I don't regret it but I do miss the white of an F. However, would I trade back? I would consider it only if I consider a super ideal cut in a colorless diamond at least 3 carats. And then I would think about it. The floral sparkle pattern from my OEC is hard to beat. I love looking at it a lot more than I did my MRB. Mentally, I still have issues with myself for liking a K color diamond as much as I do. Seriously a lot of it is in my head. My eyes love it.

My OEC sparkles more than my MRB. I had an F VS1, 2.59, GIA 3x. Changed to K VS1 3.04 OEC.

And don't worry about the height of the setting. Just pick a setting that is low. My MRB was set higher than my OEC. No problems at all with daily wear.

faboo21

Rough_Rock
Trade

Absolutely NOT! My e-ring is a 2 ct. OEC that I absolutely love (it's over 60 yrs old). My husband had it sourced through a local jeweler, and then had the setting designed after an art deco JE Caldwell ring that I fell head over heels over (see pics of the inspiration). I've been in love with old cuts ever since I first saw my friend's old miner e-ring many yrs ago, which blinded me with it's romantic sparkle. You just can't beat an old cut, whether it's OEC, transitional, cushion, old miner, pear, asscher, moval, oval, marquise--those facets and culets are amazing!

Make sure you get one with good symmetry and decent color (up to L is pretty nice but each is be unique). The lower the color (i.e. F color), the much higher the price as they are hard to find these days, but some face up surprisingly "white" in K and L ranges (some higher colors are pretty awesome too). A true antique ring willl require a much closer inspection of the setting and stone, and the style. My ring is super light and sits very slow on my hand.

Check out some beauties at:

www.jewelsbygrace.com (stone and rings) - www.singlestone.com - www.oldworlddiamonds.com (stones and rings) -- www.erstwhilejewelry.com

Go for an old cut. They're so beautiful!
Good luck! - Fab
:clap:

erstwhile_jewelry_vintage_engagement_ring_1784_b_1024x1024.jpg

erstwhile_jewelry_vintage_engagement_ring_1784_a_large.jpg

je_caldwell_ring__side_profile.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely not! I had an icy white princess ring before and ended up hating the icecube look. When I discovered old cuts I was completely mesmerized. And when I first saw my OEC at a local jeweller I immediately knew this had to be the one. It's a beautiful creamy OEC (U-V color and 5.3 carats). I love the old world charm.

I did had a hard time setting it as the modern settings did not do it justice and the orginal became to weak. When I found PS I fell in love with tapered french cut sides and it's a great match for my stone. I enjoy my ring every single day.

_5079.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not for a moment. I switched from a 2.93 carat GIA G VS2 MRB to a 4.56 carat GIA L VS1 OEC for my ER 3 and a half years ago and I just LOVE my OEC so much more. The chunky facets, the soft colors emanating from the OEC, the glow and yes the brightness. I wouldn't trade it for a modern cut ever. I love love love my OEC ER in its genuine antique setting and it is set low. I just love having a real antique diamond with an antique setting. The perfect marriage that stands the test of time.

Try to see as many OECs and old cuts as possible to see what look you prefer and if an old cut is the way for you to go. Good luck with your search.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. As a matter of fact, I am listing my MRB today so I can get an old cut in the same setting. :shock: :shock: :shock:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Setting height has nothing to do with the stone type, so I'm a bit confused about the question--you can have a diamond set low, and you may not be used to wearing a ring at all, but you'll likely get used to it quickly (especially if you love it).

My original engagement ring is around a half carat radiant. My upgrade is a near 1.5 carat OEC. No regrets. :love:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock

Not at all. My engagement ring is a 2.75 F coloured Tiffany Legacy that I never wear since I got an OEC. I'm keeping the Legacy in case one of my sons wants it, but I'm not a right hand ring person, and I honestly can't imagine the circumstances where I'd reach for the Legacy over my OEC.

I also was slightly concerned about the depth, but had it set by Victor Canera and asked him to set it as low as possible -- haven't had any issues with height.

One thing that was funny for me, was that I ended up being more drawn to the lower colour OECs. I looked at some H's and I's, which were stunning, but didn't speak to me the same way. I ended up with a white-facing 2.26 M, which is set in a VC Emilya with higher colour single cut melee and I love the slight creaminess of the centre stone. I think it's the most mesmerising ring ever.

So, no. No regrets. :angel:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaaron|1470233551|4062051 said:
One thing that was funny for me, was that I ended up being more drawn to the lower colour OECs. I looked at some H's and I's, which were stunning, but didn't speak to me the same way. I ended up with a white-facing 2.26 M, which is set in a VC Emilya with higher colour single cut melee and I love the slight creaminess of the centre stone. I think it's the most mesmerising ring ever.

So, no. No regrets. :angel:

YES! Me too. Love my L stone! :love:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have an OEC, around .85ct, I VS1, with strong blue fluor that makes it look incredibly white most of the time. It's not an engagement ring, and I'm not married anymore. I bought this OEC set in an old platinum ring, in a local pawn shop. I had it reset into a 6 prong Tiffany-style ring, which I wore as a right hand ring.

Here's my ONLY regret: The girdle chipped. This OEC diamond, as many do, has an extremely thin girdle. It didn't massively chip, but it did get several little flea bite chips in the girdle because that setting didn't offer enough protection for that extremely thin girdle. Aside from the durability issue, I would be as perfectly content with an OEC as I would be with a modern superideal H&A (which I also own). Both have their charms, but completely different personalities.

It's a shallow and spready OEC (6.3mm for only .85ct), and it has a window, and due to those 2 features, it looks best set in a prong setting that allows light into the back. I bought a halo setting for it in 2004 from Shenoa. It provides better protection since it puts more metal around the diamond. I also have bought other diamonds since then, and this ring doesn't get worn daily anymore. Bad photo, but this is the OEC in its halo.
file.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a 1.50 OEC E/F color, I had to eventually return it to my ex's family. My wonderful husband now gifted me with a 1.61 carat I VVS2 AGS2 stone, I MISS the 1.50 OEC it sparked, it looked like rainbows on the car dash, it was beautiful.. I was young and it was set in a tiffany style engagement ring.. I love my current stone because my wonderful husband bought it for me.. but I wish I had my first stone more.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a genuine antique OEC that belonged to my great grandmother, as well as an AVR and an ideal cut mrb. I had the mrb before I inherited the OEC, but once I had it my mrb didn't interest me as much - I like the bigger flashes in the oec and avr, and the splintery look of the mrb just doesn't appeal to me as much as it once did, even though it's ideal cut - so I put it up for sale in hopes someone else will love her!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love mine and I had two MRB both AGS 000 (1.30 G VS2) (2.0 I VS2 BGB) and I'm in love with my OEC J VS1 2.67 ct. So white...so many beautiful flashes. No regrets.

Even after I set my BGB in a beautiful Victor Canera setting I still had the itch for an OEC

_5087.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We can't add most of our videos here but that is the best way to view these old cuts. Static pics don't tell the story. Many of our OECs look better in video than static pics. Check out OWD & GOG websites for videos and try seeing as many old cuts in person as you can. It's the only way to make the best decision for you.

First and second pic are when I was at work under fluorescent lighting.

Next to last pic is outside near the water. It is picking up the sky and sun in a way only these old cuts seem to be able to do.

Last pic is when I was visiting the botanical gardens. See how my OEC picks up the green and yellow of the environment. It's pretty amazing irl how it picks up all the colors around and just glows.

See the old cuts in as many environments as yo can to see what you love about the and what you might not love. Observe the many moods of these old cuts and then you can decide if it will be your dream ER. Have fun with it and good luck.

_5101.jpeg

_5102.jpeg

_5103.jpeg

_5104.jpeg

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

Wow Missy, that ring is a stunner!

The other rings posted here are just GORGEOUS, too.

Okay, you all have calmed my nerves. Not that it should matter what other people think, but I was like - am I possibly making a mistake here? Am I getting some version of a diamond that the rest of the world thinks is subpar?

Because it depends on so many factors - I am not even sure if OECs are significantly less expensive than RBs? (Someone chime in if you know!) I like them because they are different, and I like that maybe there's a story there (even if I'll never know).

I talked to BF last night and explained OECs and that I think that is definitely the direction I am headed. I explained that I think we will need to have some mailed to us to see in person - and I am happy that he is good with that plan. (Because he wants the proposal to be a surprise.)

We are in the middle of deciding on a home reno, so he wants to wait until that is settled before spending a chunk of cash.
Which is understandable, but I am ready to see some stones NOW. Haha.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

LLJsmom|1470191830|4061931 said:
I had the same question.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tique-cut.219320/page-2#post-4035621#p4035621

The OEC is the only e-ring I have now. I don't regret it but I do miss the white of an F. However, would I trade back? I would consider it only if I consider a super ideal cut in a colorless diamond at least 3 carats. And then I would think about it. The floral sparkle pattern from my OEC is hard to beat. I love looking at it a lot more than I did my MRB. Mentally, I still have issues with myself for liking a K color diamond as much as I do. Seriously a lot of it is in my head. My eyes love it.

My OEC sparkles more than my MRB. I had an F VS1, 2.59, GIA 3x. Changed to K VS1 3.04 OEC.

And don't worry about the height of the setting. Just pick a setting that is low. My MRB was set higher than my OEC. No problems at all with daily wear.

So helpful! SO so helpful. I feel like it's because of posts like these that I get closer to my goal. Thanks!

Your backstory:

"Here is the back story if anyone is interested.

I have been yearning for an OEC, which started when I visited Singlestone two years ago, when I saw a gorgeous 3.5ish J. Then it got real when I visited Adam at Old World Diamonds in New York last fall and had a chance to play with a bunch of OECs in real life. So, as a 20th is coming up, I started my search early. I contacted Adam. He had a K OEC that he assured me was an exceptional stone. As some of you know, I’ve got major color issues. My previous stone was a GIA F, VS1, MRB, and I was very concerned about the K color. However, I had seen this particular stone when I visited him with Missy last fall and I had really liked it. Lo and behold, the K was still available. He sent it to me, unset, and I loved it at first sight. It would not stop sparkling. I was completely ready to commit, and then I tried glue-dotting the stone to my finger. :roll: Big mistake. It got all dark and yellow. :( I sent it back. Adam had a 3.29 I, VS2, which he thought would be white enough to address my color concerns. He set it and sent it to me. It was totally white enough, and it was big, but then the sparkle pattern was not pretty as the K. I tried it for a weekend, and I had to admit that it just didn’t excite me enough. The K sparkled from edge to edge, and the petals and diamonds lit up constantly. I didn’t get that from this OEC. I sent it back again, and asked Adam to set the K, which he did, and sent it to me. By this time, I was ready to nominate him for sainthood for dealing with my fickleness. I had to admit I really loved this stone. There are times when I do see the body color, but even then it is completely alive and sparkling. After wearing it for another weekend, I took the plunge.

Having a couple of days to spend with each stone helped me learn about the characteristics of OECs, and what mattered to me. In the end I went with the K because of the beautiful faceting, which made all the difference in the liveliness of the stone. Finding an OEC with such beautiful faceting is a lot harder than finding an OK I. MRBs are just a completely different animal, and I had to completely redefine color in a diamond when I went with on OECs. For me, I learned that color performs a different function in an OEC. It seemed that I was able to see the faceting of the K much more clearly than the I. Because the I was so white to my eyes, the facets ran together more. With the K, I could see them more clearly delineated when light hit them, making the sparkles sharper. I have issues with giving myself permission to fall in love with this K, but I finally had to admit that I loved it."

I am simultaneously excited and panicked! I feel like this is my struggle, too. (And maybe it's not uncommon, really.)

A K sounds so warm to me. But in seeing your pictures - it looks like a traditional "white" stone to me.

Beyond color, I also wonder - will I really feel strongly one way or another to the performance? I tend to think they are all so pretty - but maybe when it is actually "go time" to pick one I will find that I am really drawn to one over another. Maybe you just know?

All that said, I have never laid eyes on a OEC in person. Which is possibly part of the problem here (in thinking I would just love them all).

Anyways, I found your post insightful and it has opened my eyes to the idea that maybe I should broaden my search to warmer stones - because they may look just as I want.

Does anyone know - can you get a bigger K versus I for the same price (generally)? Or does it depend on performance? Like, a more magical/dazzling/white showing K will cost as much as an I? (Hope that question makes sense.)

I hope to get something in the 1.5 carat range - for around $7k-$9k. Not sure how realistic my budget is at this point.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

rubybeth|1470232908|4062041 said:
Setting height has nothing to do with the stone type, so I'm a bit confused about the question--you can have a diamond set low, and you may not be used to wearing a ring at all, but you'll likely get used to it quickly (especially if you love it).

My original engagement ring is around a half carat radiant. My upgrade is a near 1.5 carat OEC. No regrets. :love:

Sorry! I am such a newb when it comes to this stuff that I probably don't explain it clearly.

I guess I was worried that a taller crown and smaller table would make it seem like it sits up too tall?
But when I see OECs online - they do seem fine.

And - I am talking about a stone that is way under 2 carats - so not some giant rock. So, this is probably just silly worrying about nothing on my part. :)

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

AdaBeta27|1470240154|4062080 said:
I have an OEC, around .85ct, I VS1, with strong blue fluor that makes it look incredibly white most of the time. It's not an engagement ring, and I'm not married anymore. I bought this OEC set in an old platinum ring, in a local pawn shop. I had it reset into a 6 prong Tiffany-style ring, which I wore as a right hand ring.

Here's my ONLY regret: The girdle chipped. This OEC diamond, as many do, has an extremely thin girdle. It didn't massively chip, but it did get several little flea bite chips in the girdle because that setting didn't offer enough protection for that extremely thin girdle. Aside from the durability issue, I would be as perfectly content with an OEC as I would be with a modern superideal H&A (which I also own). Both have their charms, but completely different personalities.

It's a shallow and spready OEC (6.3mm for only .85ct), and it has a window, and due to those 2 features, it looks best set in a prong setting that allows light into the back. I bought a halo setting for it in 2004 from Shenoa. It provides better protection since it puts more metal around the diamond. I also have bought other diamonds since then, and this ring doesn't get worn daily anymore. Bad photo, but this is the OEC in its halo.
file.jpg

Beautiful! Now you've got me worried about my setting choice, haha. As I am going to ask DK to make a halo - I will ask him what he thinks about safety/my setting. Thanks.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

soxfan|1470230476|4062023 said:
Nope. As a matter of fact, I am listing my MRB today so I can get an old cut in the same setting. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

faboo21|1470193552|4061937 said:
Absolutely NOT! My e-ring is a 2 ct. OEC that I absolutely love (it's over 60 yrs old). My husband had it sourced through a local jeweler, and then had the setting designed after an art deco JE Caldwell ring that I fell head over heels over (see pics of the inspiration). I've been in love with old cuts ever since I first saw my friend's old miner e-ring many yrs ago, which blinded me with it's romantic sparkle. You just can't beat an old cut, whether it's OEC, transitional, cushion, old miner, pear, asscher, moval, oval, marquise--those facets and culets are amazing!

Make sure you get one with good symmetry and decent color (up to L is pretty nice but each is be unique). The lower the color (i.e. F color), the much higher the price as they are hard to find these days, but some face up surprisingly "white" in K and L ranges (some higher colors are pretty awesome too). A true antique ring willl require a much closer inspection of the setting and stone, and the style. My ring is super light and sits very slow on my hand.

Check out some beauties at:

www.jewelsbygrace.com (stone and rings) - www.singlestone.com - www.oldworlddiamonds.com (stones and rings) -- www.erstwhilejewelry.com

Go for an old cut. They're so beautiful!
Good luck! - Fab
:clap:

Ah. I keep admiring this ring!

(And it shows me that they can't sit up too high if the setting isn't designed that way.)

Thanks for the feedback!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

iwantsparkle|1470409793|4062781 said:
rubybeth|1470232908|4062041 said:

Sorry! I am such a newb when it comes to this stuff that I probably don't explain it clearly.

I guess I was worried that a taller crown and smaller table would make it seem like it sits up too tall?
But when I see OECs online - they do seem fine.

And - I am talking about a stone that is way under 2 carats - so not some giant rock. So, this is probably just silly worrying about nothing on my part. :)

Okay, that makes more sense. You can compare sizes of a traditional round brilliant from the crown to the culet to the size of an OEC pretty easily. They do have higher crowns, generally, but I don't think it would be a very large difference that you'd notice. Diamonds are pretty small, in real life--keep in mind you are looking at them many times their actual size. A one carat diamond is about the size of an eraser on a pencil, around 6mm.

I also want to address your comment that other people in your life may think you are getting a diamond that's subpar--people can be weird about things they find to be "different." Only you can decide if you're able to handle any comments you may get about having a unique ring. You also get to decide how much information you share (color, actual carat weight, price, etc.). If you share details like this, people may offer comparisons, which can be annoying/hurtful/rude. It's honestly something I've had to work on about myself--I don't want to care what people think, but of course, I want people to like me on some level, and praise my choices. But not everyone will, and you may get an odd comment about your ring once it's on your finger, but you'll probably deal with it just fine. If someone says it looks weird, you can say something like, "Well, I love that it's an antique--I think it's so romantic!" so it's not a judgement on anyone else's choice. Preparing for weird comments about your life choices is part of getting married (or not get married), honestly. Weddings and your reproductive future and choices you make as a parent all seem to be very interesting to other people and will garner a wide range of commentary. So if someone says something about your ring? You'll deal with it, and it will be good practice for the future. :))

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium

You mentioned above your budget is about $7-9k for ~1.5ct...
JBEG currently has a couple good options!
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-43ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-si1#.V6TKebSrvVo
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-48ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-j-vs2#.V6TK17SrvVo

The second is a transitional cut, which could be great for you b/c it's kind of b/w an OEC and a modern round brilliant. It also has a great spread at a little over 7.3mm!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not commit to any stone without looking at a bunch IRL. especially if you have never seen one IRL. Before I visited Adam at Old World Diamonds, and Singlestone, I was not at all impressed with the other OECs I saw IRL at local jewelry stores. I did not see what the fuss was about. I think it is VERY important to look at well cut OECs. And even among well cut OECs different ones may appeal to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results