Super_Ideal_Rock
Ovals are your best bet.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/O150-748218784 This is a really nice oval. If eyeclean you can order it and see what she thinks of it in person. They have a great return policy.

A 1.5 carat oval faces up the same as a 2 carat cushion. You have the perfect budget for a 1.5 oval. It is an amazing elongated look that she wanted.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/O150-748218784

Here are some setting inspirations. See what she thinks of these:

I'm seriously loving that oval!! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]
And it would look massive in a halo! [emoji1360]

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all the suggestions.
I had started a new thread bc I was going to go with a pear but tonight she said she really wants a cushion bc all of the settings she loves have the cushion.

Now I am starting my search over. I have a couple months and up to 9k to find the biggest cushion (dimension wise not carat) that still performs and will sparkle in a halo setting. Can we get over 7x7 in that budget? Bonus points for elongated cushions!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Can that oval be set into the more rectangle setting like an elongated cushion would go in? I know people put rounds in them so I wasn't sure. I just now know that is the type of setting she wants.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
icehitter|1469846083|4060747 said:
Can that oval be set into the more rectangle setting like an elongated cushion would go in? I know people put rounds in them so I wasn't sure. I just now know that is the type of setting she wants.

Yes. It can.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of these ( the bottom 2) are poorly executed and have weird gaps but they give you the idea. The second is the outline I recommend for a halo. Rectangular but with convex sides. A competent bench can do a very nice version of this look.

_5036.jpeg

_5037.jpeg

_5038.jpeg

_5039.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am kind of late to this party, but honestly, I think you should save for another year for the diamond. I would hate having a diamond for a year before it could be put in the right setting. I'd surprise her with the diamond about 2-3 months before the anniversary so you could have it set by the time the anniversary rolls around. My biggest advice is to buy where there is an upgrade policy, because you very well might want to upgrade it one more time at 15 or 20 years since I think this one will be smaller than she is thinking. A 1.3 ct round has a 7mm diameter, just for reference.

Halos are great for making a diamond look larger, but I will tell you, with three babies, a pave ring is not going to be practical at all. I guess she just may not wear it unless she goes out, though, which could work.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your post said you have little kids. I'd get some opinions from people who have large settings and diamonds in halos about the practical wear of these. Lots of my friends put their blingy rings on a shelf after the 5th time they scratched their kid with the ring or the 10th time they had to dig play doh out of the little stones. There are halos with the stone in a channel, but they are not to everyone's taste. So, I guess the question is was she hoping for a special occasion or daily use ring? If for daily use, you might set your diamond in a simple, low-set bezel to start with. After wearing it, she can decide if she really wants a big setting. Check out the "Show me the Bling!" for Bezel. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/..[/URL]. Chrono posted a lovely bezel with decorative sides by Quest.

adrian_view_3.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you have an honest discussion with her and ask her what would she prefer a smaller cushion now or that you save for a longer period of time and buy a stone closer to the size she wants.

Alternatives might be considering something like this with a yellow diamond centre or unusual shapes as the others have suggested that give more finger coverage than a cushion will;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/2-18ct-radiant-cut-diamond-and-pink-sapphire-3-stone-ring-by-dbl-gia-w-x-vs2#.V5ySTCgVq5Q

Manor15

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.25 round brilliant in a cushion cut halo setting. So it appears that its cushion cut, but you get the beauty of the round brilliant which in my mind is the most beautiful diamond cut. It really looks much bigger than 1.25 . Also, when choosing our stone the jeweler explained that if we went with a stone that had the weight on the top of the stone, meaning the diamond was not long but the table or top was where the weight was ,it appears bigger. So the cut of the stone can really make a big difference .

Manor15

Rough_Rock
_5043.jpg

Here's the 1.25 round brilliant in a cushion cut halo

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy -Do you know who made the second photo of the setting with the blue stone? Could that be a SK design?

Thank you

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1469855266|4060765 said:
Some of these ( the bottom 2) are poorly executed and have weird gaps but they give you the idea. The second is the outline I recommend for a halo. Rectangular but with convex sides. A competent bench can do a very nice version of this look.
I really like those and think she will end up wanting a setting like at the bottom except it seems like a lot of her ideas on pinterest are of split shank. I like the idea of an oval to give her more coverage. I really don't want to ruin the surprise bc she will not be expecting a stone for our 9th anniversary but I'm going to have to have a discussion. I should be able to frame it as a way to budget/plan for next year since we're finalizing our adoption in the next 2 months.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1469877062|4060805 said:
Why don't you have an honest discussion with her and ask her what would she prefer a smaller cushion now or that you save for a longer period of time and buy a stone closer to the size she wants.

Alternatives might be considering something like this with a yellow diamond centre or unusual shapes as the others have suggested that give more finger coverage than a cushion will;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/2-18ct-radiant-cut-diamond-and-pink-sapphire-3-stone-ring-by-dbl-gia-w-x-vs2#.V5ySTCgVq5Q

I'm definitely going to ask her. I could probably get her to start looking at stone specifics and not think I would get it this early bc 9f the baby.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Manor15|1469881870|4060819 said:
_5043.jpg

Here's the 1.25 round brilliant in a cushion cut halo
Very pretty! I had considered a round early on but she likes elongated cuts. Once I sit down with her she may decide differentl.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469856418|4060770 said:
I am kind of late to this party, but honestly, I think you should save for another year for the diamond. I would hate having a diamond for a year before it could be put in the right setting. I'd surprise her with the diamond about 2-3 months before the anniversary so you could have it set by the time the anniversary rolls around. My biggest advice is to buy where there is an upgrade policy, because you very well might want to upgrade it one more time at 15 or 20 years since I think this one will be smaller than she is thinking. A 1.3 ct round has a 7mm diameter, just for reference.

Halos are great for making a diamond look larger, but I will tell you, with three babies, a pave ring is not going to be practical at all. I guess she just may not wear it unless she goes out, though, which could work.

Thanks for the input. We could put it in the setting earlier if she wanted but I want er to be able to take as much time as she wants deciding. Regardless of when ut is actually completed, it will be used to celebrate our 10yr anniversary. I was just hoping to surprise her this year.

I definitely don't know anything about which settings yet but she also does a lot of baking and crafts as well so I have a feeling it will be worn mostly when we are out with a band being for everyday use. She doesn't even wear her band a lot of the time at home.

I'm definitely going to talk to her without spoiling the surprise.
I could spend more on the diamond but I'm just not comfortable doing so if I can get her something that looks great and looks big. She will be happy and appreciate it regardless.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure she will be thrilled! It is really nice to see a husband so interested in giving a wonderful surprise to his wife!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octo2005|1469902116|4060890 said:
Gypsy -Do you know who made the second photo of the setting with the blue stone? Could that be a SK design?

Thank you
I'm sorry. I do not know who the designer is. But it is not SK. It's a commercial setting not a custom one.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call Adam at Old World Diamonds. Tell him your budget and see if he can help. I have seen some stunning antique cushions at right around 2 carats that could be close to your budget. Check out Ksmom's new cushion. I know that was close to your budget and it was one of the most stunning cushions I have ever seen. Missy and I loved it in real life. But know that with a cushion, you will likely need a halo to punch up that size.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I will definitely put a call in.
I have been playing phone tag with Victor Canera about a 2 carat Antique cut someone else suggested. I'm hoping to get a video of it. I also emailed GOG with specs so I will call Adam tomorrow.
Thanks!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find this one on JbG's website but I think this style and size is everything you're looking for:
9aa494ffb5f1d77f2dec0d003eb5def0.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Except for Price. That's a 5-7k setting!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the OP is now set on a cushion, correct? Wife recently made this clear.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops! I'm behind in the times. Sorry folks! Thanks for the update :)

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Setting price isn't a factor as that will be a whole different budget next year (probably between 4-7k) I'm trying to stay below 9K for the diamond. Only thing I need to worry about now is a simple solitaire setting so I'm not including that.

Yep...I am onto a cushion now. I'm contacting Adam today, Grace is looking and I'm playing phone tag with Victor about the
2 carat M CAC someone else posted.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think kmom's cushion was closer to $25k. Does your wife have a specific setting in mind? Just wondering if you need to budget so much for the setting (4-7k)? Could you put some of that money towards the diamond to get something larger?

I also thought you mentioned she liked in the H-J range (or maybe that's changed!). An M antique cushion will be nice a warm. Much warmer than an H-J. Has your wife seen an M colored cushion?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Icehitter, i know in one of your threads you said that a sales person was pushing a henri Daussi on your wife. Did she like that look? I ask because they are cut with a huge face up size. Some people love them (I find some of them to be really enchanting) but some people hate them. Because of how shallow they are a majority of them lack "sparkle" but there are some that are truly beautiful, to me at least. And they have that elongated look she likes.

I ask because ID Jewelry in NY can get them and for a much better price. They can call in stones for you directly from Daussi or see if they have something that fits with what they have in their inventory, and you can tell them what you are looking at in terms of measurements (for example, as close to 8x7 as possible) and they can dig around.

They have a few on their website: http://idjewelry.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=price&q=daussi

Grace of Jewels by Grace JUST had one that may have been perfect but i think it is sold...

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-51ct-daussi-cushion-cut-diamond-halo-ring-gia-j-si2#.V5-hpDaMDBI

icehitter

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1470074894|4061347 said:
I think kmom's cushion was closer to $25k. Does your wife have a specific setting in mind? Just wondering if you need to budget so much for the setting (4-7k)? Could you put some of that money towards the diamond to get something larger?

I also thought you mentioned she liked in the H-J range (or maybe that's changed!). An M antique cushion will be nice a warm. Much warmer than an H-J. Has your wife seen an M colored cushion?

She hasn't seen one yet. The K she saw was the Henri Dassi but it looked yellow in the store and she didn't love it.

Victor going to take a video of the stone for us to see. I've filled her in and she is excited to see it. She loves the idea of a warm, antique cushion. She doesn't know anyone that has anything like it.
I will try to post the video when I get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results