clarity

First female presidential nominee for major political party

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: First female presidential nominee for major political pa

Tekate|1469706860|4060151 said:
Madam Bijoux|1469655421|4059993 said:
It has been so uplifting to hear sensible speeches from people of genuine substance at this convention.

Obama's speech made me tear up.. GREAT speech, good man, good husband, gooood Dad, fair. Let's hope Cllinton can keep us going in the left direction ;-)

peace

President Obama's speech will probably go down in history as one of the great speeches in US history. I really loved hearing it. It was a wonderful contrast with Donald Trump's negative, uninformed, speeches made with baseless assumptions that "America" is broken and needs fixing. The President pointed out that The United States is not broken and does not need fixing; that we will never need one person alone will to fix it The United States, that we all work together; and that demagogues are among the problems that plague us, along with communists, fascists, and jihadists.

AGBF

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I view political speeches much like I do all of the other political fluff (like tv ads, etc.), so a speech doesn't woo me one way or another. I wasn't impressed with the the republican speeches and I wasn't impressed by any of the democratic speeches either. I'm more about whether or not someone actually has the ability to get anything done as opposed to what they say they can get done... I admit that I had to roll my eyes this morning when scrolling through my FB wall because it seems we've come back to all that hopey-changey stuff in one, single speech, but, I had plenty of eyerolls over some of the republican speeches too, so my disgust is pretty equal across the board :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well Hillary ought not let Pelosi try to help her. This is one way to alienate the very people you are trying to reach. Those stupid white males.

A portion of a PBS interview this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvIoeQhrZM

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1469713857|4060173 said:
I view political speeches much like I do all of the other political fluff (like tv ads, etc.), so a speech doesn't woo me one way or another. I wasn't impressed with the the republican speeches and I wasn't impressed by any of the democratic speeches either. I'm more about whether or not someone actually has the ability to get anything done as opposed to what they say they can get done... I admit that I had to roll my eyes this morning when scrolling through my FB wall because it seems we've come back to all that hopey-changey stuff in one, single speech, but, I had plenty of eyerolls over some of the republican speeches too, so my disgust is pretty equal across the board :lol:

+1
I won't even watch political ads, speeches, or even news coverage including a video clip of a politician speaking.
... and there's little worse, or frightening, to me than a crowd roaring their leader! :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:
I will read transcripts though.

Last week I was stuck somewhere for 3 hours that had the R convention blaring from a TV set!
I was livid.

This week I waited while my car serviced and the D convention was blaring from a TV set!
I was equally livid.
They refused to change the channel so I waited outside.

It's all BS ... power and corruption!
I just vote Dem because a pile of shit stinks less than a pile of diarrhea.

Now, you kids get off my lawn.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I view political speeches much like I do all of the other political fluff (like tv ads, etc.), so a speech doesn't woo me one way or another.

Do you also feel that way about The Gettysburg Address?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1469727261|4060253 said:
I view political speeches much like I do all of the other political fluff (like tv ads, etc.), so a speech doesn't woo me one way or another.

No, because that's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
The Gettysburg Address was a 2 min. speech at the dedication of the Soldier's National Cemetery about 4 months after the Battle of Gettysburg. I was referring to the political speeches where the main goal is to get votes. I'm not impressed by those kinds of speeches any more than I am a tv ad, or a robo-call, or a yard sign, or a bumper sticker, etc.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

And this is what I meant when I said AGBF that you need to come out from the past.

Did you have to go back that far into history to find one?

I agree with momhappy. You can throw all the feel good speeches with their buzzwords at me. But they are only words unless you can demonstrate to me that you can actually make some real changes.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

Did you watch President Clinton's whole speech? He laid out everything she has accomplished from the time she was a student up to the present. I had always heard "she has worked for women and children her whole life". I never knew the extent of the difference she has made.
If you (I mean the collective you) just watch the sound bites, if you just listen to words taken out of context and repeated over and over, I can understand the negative view. If voters go to her website, they will see what she wants to accomplish and how she will pay for it.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66|1469657641|4060007 said:
momhappy|1469643490|4059910 said:
^and I agree that probably all politicians are corrupt, but that doesn't make me feel any better about her. I suppose it's possible that she might get extra criticism simply because she's a woman, but it's also possible that she gets extra votes for that very same reason (simply because she's a woman). Either way, I won't be voting for her (I won't be voting for Trump either).

momhappy please read this before you decide to sit out or vote 3rd party. The decision has been very hard for me.

https://patriotpost.us/alexander/43991

redwood, I watched every night last week and am watching now. The anger and hatred that I saw last week saddened me to the core. The idea that one person, Trump, is our savior is unamerican. Yesterday when Trump looked into the camera and asked Russia to hack us, again, I was disgusted. This week got off to a rocky start but soon turned to the positive. The issues were addressed, social and economic, law enforcement was praised, the military was told it was great and not a mess. redwood, I appreciate your concerns and your values but like Barbara Bush said about her son George W, "just hold your nose and vote". I guess you will be holding your nose, lol. I am very afraid if Trump get in. Our soldiers will die by the thousands. Right now, I'm more worried about that than the Supreme Court.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

....and redwood, I think that we have shown, through our back and forth in other threads, people can disagree and not resort to rude remarks. :wavey: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1469752228|4060363 said:
redwood, I watched every night last week and am watching now. The anger and hatred that I saw last week saddened me to the core. The idea that one person, Trump, is our savior is unamerican. Yesterday when Trump looked into the camera and asked Russia to hack us, again, I was disgusted. This week got off to a rocky start but soon turned to the positive. The issues were addressed, social and economic, law enforcement was praised, the military was told it was great and not a mess. redwood, I appreciate your concerns and your values but like Barbara Bush said about her son George W, "just hold your nose and vote". I guess you will be holding your nose, lol. I am very afraid if Trump get in. Our soldiers will die by the thousands. Right now, I'm more worried about that than the Supreme Court.
Really? Did I miss parents of the slain cops making speeches on the stage? .. :confused:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1469752382|4060365 said:
....and redwood, I think that we have shown, through our back and forth in other threads, people can disagree and not resort to rude remarks. :wavey: :appl:

I totally agree. Sometimes it is hard not to react to bashing but I try. This is a very different election cycle than any other time in recent history. :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1469750637|4060353 said:
Did you watch President Clinton's whole speech? He laid out everything she has accomplished from the time she was a student up to the present. I had always heard "she has worked for women and children her whole life". I never knew the extent of the difference she has made.
If you (I mean the collective you) just watch the sound bites, if you just listen to words taken out of context and repeated over and over, I can understand the negative view. If voters go to her website, they will see what she wants to accomplish and how she will pay for it.
So what Bill said about her accomplishments as The Secretary of State? Her Benghazi cover up? .. :whistle:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you look at her body of work the woman has dedicated her life to public service. She has actual plans for the future.

When listening to Trump I truly believe he's making statements so people will NOT vote for him. I thought after his comments about how he could shoot someone in Times Square and people would still vote for him that the Republicans would wake up. Trump basically called the people voting for him stupid and this jackass gets away with it. His comments regarding Russian hackers yesterday are another example and yet Fox News was defending him last night. Hannity was laughing about it. Can you imagine their reaction had Hillary made those comments. Trump does not have a presidential bone in his body.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1469753861|4060373 said:
So what Bill said about her accomplishments as The Secretary of State? Her Benghazi cover up? .. :whistle:

DF, you were scheduled to give a speech on that, but you were a no-show. ;(

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Trump does not have a presidential bone in his body.

I agree.

And that is why I wish all of the people could get together and insist on disqualifying both of them. Appoint someone in the interim or even keep Obama in office. Undo this whole mess and start over again.

Neither candidate imo is fit to hold office.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Yes, I saw the speech. I was not impressed. I am aware of her accomplishments. However, I am also aware of her failures. Like I said before, its a speech to get votes, so they will say whatever it takes to get elected. The Republican speeches were not different. I'm not impressed with any of it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

ruby59|1469755751|4060384 said:

I agree.

And that is why I wish all of the people could get together and insist on disqualifying both of them. Appoint someone in the interim or even keep Obama in office. Undo this whole mess and start over again.

I agree with this except for that part about keeping Obama in office. The sooner he's out, the better, IMO :lol: ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1469755718|4060383 said:
Dancing Fire|1469753861|4060373 said:

DF, you were scheduled to give a speech on that, but you were a no-show. ;(
Would have been fun... :naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1469756303|4060389 said:
ruby59|1469755751|4060384 said:

I agree.

I agree with this except for that part about keeping Obama in office. The sooner he's out, the better, IMO :lol: ;-)
:shhh:... Now you just piss off 85% of the members here... :Up_to_something:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1469753292|4060370 said:
Really? Did I miss parents of the slain cops making speeches on the stage? .. :confused:

DF, three spouses and families just spoke tonight about their loved ones, police officers, who were slain. I hope you were watching.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1469756236|4060388 said:

Yes, I saw the speech. I was not impressed. I am aware of her accomplishments. However, I am also aware of her failures. Like I said before, its a speech to get votes, so they will say whatever it takes to get elected. The Republican speeches were not different. I'm not impressed with any of it.

Again +1 ... which is why I won't watch any of their election BS. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000|1469757202|4060396 said:

DF, three spouses and families just spoke tonight about their loved ones, police officers, who were slain. I hope you were watching.
I haven't watch yet...waiting for HC to come on stage.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Is this accurate? I didn't watch, so I am genuinely curious because I had not heard that this was the case.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1469757879|4060403 said:

Is this accurate? I didn't watch, so I am genuinely curious because I had not heard that this was the case.

Um, yes. It's accurate. I saw it with my own eyes, on the PBS coverage.
Do you think I am lying, momhappy? Gosh, what an insult.
https://gma.yahoo.com/video/family-members-fallen-law-enforcement-010313652.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1469735779|4060299 said:

And this is what I meant when I said AGBF that you need to come out from the past.

Did you have to go back that far into history to find one?

I agree with momhappy. You can throw all the feel good speeches with their buzzwords at me. But they are only words unless you can demonstrate to me that you can actually make some real changes.

I am feeling especially virtuous today since I spent all day at a psychiatric hospital having my daughter hospitalized then came home and gave my father dinner only to have him fall, have to call the paramedics and an ambulance, then spend my entire evening-up until midnight-at the ER having him patched up and given a CT Scan. I don't feel as if I don't live in the real world. I wasn't on-line to defend myself (or even near a TV to watch the convention) because I was being a good mother and daughter. So forgive me if I feel a little annoyed at coming and finding this drivel from the two of you, ruby and momhappy.

I didn't need to go back in time to find The Gettysburg Address. I heard someone on television compare President Obama's speech writing with President Lincoln's because no other president could rise to Lincoln's level. I felt that the comparison was apt. I memorized The Gettysburg Address as a school child (didn't you?), so I always carry it with me. I don't have to go back in the past to find it.

And it is rude to tell me I "throw feel good speeches" and "buzz words" at you. (Rude and untruthful.) That is why I called what you wrote "drivel". My vocabulary is actually more than adequate. I am rarely driven to the point where I am forced to use "buzz words" to communicate. I can usually find a fair approximation of the word for which I am searching among the standard English words.

AGBF

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

AGBF I am sorry that you are going through a hard time.

And I do not want to add to it.

But I do not appreciate your referring to my opinions as drivel. I find them just as hurtful.

Also, I was referring to the buzzwords that politicians use in their speeches, not to anything you have posted.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1469768451|4060439 said:
AGBF I am sorry that you are going through a hard time.

And I do not want to add to it.

But I do not appreciate your referring to my opinions as drivel. I find them just as hurtful.

I asked you before, ruby, what you meant when you said I lived in the past. You didn't answer me. Your "opinions" are criticisms of me. Nothing else.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

My exact statement from above.

This was obviously referring to the candidates.

As far as you living in the past, it is all your quotes and references. Referring to what women had to wear 70+ years ago. Referring to a 300+ year speech.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1469768927|4060442 said:
As far as you living in the past, it is all your quotes and references. Referring to what women had to wear 70+ years ago. Referring to a 300+ year speech.

You are serious? You think that if someone refers to a period of time prior to the present that that person is "living in the past"? That would mean that every educated person on the planet lived in the past! I had no notion that what you took exception to was my audacity in making reference to historical events!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results