Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36913915

SNIP
"A copy of Michelangelo's David recently put on show in central St Petersburg may be dressed up because a resident objected to its nakedness.

Organisers of a sculpture exhibition in the city say they'll ask residents to decide whether to cover up the 5m (16ft) plastic statue, after a local woman complained to the children's rights ombudsman that it was an eyesore and a bad influence on pupils at a nearby school, the Lenta website reports.
"How could you put this bloke without any trousers on in the centre of St Petersburg, next to a school and a church?" the ombudsman's website quotes the letter as saying.
"This giant spoils the city's historic appearance and warps children's souls."

Its officials apparently tried to convince the woman that Russia's former imperial capital contained many such statues and residents are accustomed to their state of undress, but to no avail.
"Children are around, looking at this giant nude man.
Is that normal?" she responded, and warned she'd take the matter further.
She was even unfazed by school director Maksim Pratusevich's assurance that his students were "sufficiently cultured and educated" not to be shocked by the Renaissance masterpiece.

Her determination may yet win out, it seems.
An official of the Michelangelo - Creation of the World exhibition told the RIA-Novosti news agency it "couldn't ignore the criticism".
Under the "Dress David" initiative, city residents will first be asked to suggest clothes for the statue, and will then vote in a 16-23 August poll on what to put him in, with one option being to just "keep him as he is"."

screen_shot_2016-07-28_at_4.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
St Petersburg is home to a massive amount of artistic treasures, classical and otherwise- you'd think it's residents might be a bit more enlightened!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last summer I saw the David, we were in Florence for a few day, I had seen pix of it all my life, but both my husband and I were shocked at how tall this statue is..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sound like a braggart but I was in St Petersburg a few years ago, if anyone can get there go to Peterhof! go to the Hermitage these museums and sites are the most amazing things I've seen in all my travels as a retired old lady... second is Florence.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David is art, history, and well kind of hot really too. :naughty: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in with the crowd that is in awe of David and was fortunate enough to see the statue in person in Florence on 3 different trips. A work of art and a true masterpiece. It's a shame some people are so narrow minded and ignorant. If it isn't your cup of tea fine but why ruin it for the people who do appreciate it?

I'm with you arkieb. He *is* hot. :naughty: :love:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh.

Just sigh.

That kind of oppression breeds a certain kind of curiosity that then breeds bad behavior. It reminds me of the nuns in my Catholic school. Believe me, our curiosity bred very, very bad behavior.

They should leave the statue as is. Even if the kids stare at the penis the entire time, they will witness the adults having an open and honest attitude about the whole thing and the kids will have an open and honest attitude about it too. Cover up the statue and the kids will then see that it is the "forbidden fruit." Make something a forbidden fruit and it will most certainly be craved by many.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Penis Shmenis, it's art!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, my eyes are burning and my soul has been warped! Actually, I think I'm in lust :cheeky: !

I know kids will probably snicker but can't they use this as a teaching moment? A quick
study of Michelangelo and some of his work should hopefully put it in perspective.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1469774348|4060459 said:
St Petersburg is home to a massive amount of artistic treasures, classical and otherwise- you'd think it's residents might be a bit more enlightened!

I wanna go to Hermitage museum.

Why don't they fly in a straight line?
Or perhaps they do, and the curve is just representing a sphere on a flat map.
Does anyone here have one of those old globes?

screen_shot_2016-07-29_at_3.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1469831511|4060686 said:
Snowdrop13|1469774348|4060459 said:

I wanna go to Hermitage museum.

Why don't they fly in a straight line?
Or perhaps they do, and the curve is just representing a sphere on a flat map.
Does anyone here have one of those old globes?

You must, it is amazing, the building AND the contents. So many beautiful paintings just crammed onto the walls. Those Russians knew good art........

PS no idea about the fly path, have often wondered that myself :think:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was amazed at the size of his hands. ( no really!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results