shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog sitting is harder than I thought!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My brother and his family are on vacation for a week and we're sitting for their 5 year old Basset Hound. Geesh! So much harder than I thought! Not all dogs are the same...obviously. I just didn't realize how in tune I was to my own dog's habits, wants and needs. Walter, my brother's dog, peed on the floor twice - but that was in the first day and hasn't since (it's day 3) so I think he was just nervous. He barks like clock work at 6:30 am and we don't know why. We let him out, we fed him, we demanded he go back on his bed and nothing worked. DH took both dogs for a walk for about 20 minutes. It was 90 degrees so my dog takes it easy. Not Walter! He was moving and shaking the entire walk. Then panted so fast, I thought he was going to explode. He also follows me everywhere...so closely that he's stepping on my heels/back of my flip flops. And he eats bathroom trash. And tries to escape every time you open the door. He doesn't respond to any of the same commands as Hollis so I'm trying to get him on his bed, or to back away from the door or out of the kitchen while we eat and I don't know what to say. Every command I try is met with a blank stare. :lol:

The good news is he's really sweet and the dogs get along really well. DH and I joke that we'll totally have this down...right before my brother picks Walter up and takes him home. :bigsmile:

To any of you that foster or rescue...kudos to you!!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hollis even shared *his* couch.

_4931.jpeg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AW. I don't foster or dog sit in my home, so credit to you for taking it on. Both dogs are beautiful.

It sounds like your "guest" is anxious about being in a new place and away from his own humans. I'm not sure what you can do fix that. Maybe next time, have your brother leave a shirt or blanket for his dog to cuddle and sleep with. In fact, I'd suggest, if you didn't do this already, have your brother bring his bed, his bowls, etc. Anything reasonably portable to bring a little of his home to your house.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Kae Kae! We have his bed, blanket, a toy, crate, food and bowls. It's strange, he is relaxed as long as we are...but if we're up and about so is he. It's just a total reality check that I don't know dogs well. I know MY dog well.

He has to be crated at home or he tears up their house. With Hollis' company, he doesn't need the crate which is a relief to me because I don't love the crate. It serves a purpose and we have used a crate but avoid when we can.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom, you rock for taking care of your doggy nephew :appl: :wavey: :appl:

I hope they give you a great gift!!!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom, you are pawsome for watching your fur nephew Walter! :clap: Bassets like being in a pack so they will sometimes follow you around endlessly. They have powerful noses so any scents from the great outdoors beckon them right out your door! Bassets will also get you up earlier & earlier in the morning if left to their own devices, I'm convinced it's just their way of getting breakfast asap. They love food so usually a stuffed Kong will help to keep them occupied. I make peanut butter yogurt frozen pops for mine. They will spend a long time licking the frozen treat so it generally keeps them from getting very frantic when you first leave. The only thing I would watch is a lot of activity around mealtimes. Bassets are prone to bloat so don't feed him when he's super hot & panting. We restrict exercise before and after meals. You are fantastic to petsit for your brother. It's so hard to find someone to trust. Hollis look pretty content sharing the couch too! Cute pic! :dance:

Btw, I'll be babysitting a 6 month old Basset next weekend and some Belgians the weekend after that. I only help my friends out here and there for free. Just a forewarning that when you do a good job then you will definitely get asked again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom, Aww what a sweetie! Both dogs are beautiful. :love: You are a great Auntie and taking amazing care of your nephew. I am sure he is missing his parents but he is lucky to have you guys to take care of him while they are on vacation and I hope his anxiety goes away very soon once he realizes he is safe and loved. It sounds like he needs a playmate full time when your brother gets back since he is getting along with Hollis so well. Love the photo of Hollis and Walter chilling on the couch. :love:

Rockinruby, those peanut butter pops sound delicious. :lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other half dog sat for his sister last week. (he could NOT do it here as we just moved and my patience is way too thin) Her dog is sweet but yes, no real doggie manners. I'm sure your brother is happy to know his pup was in good hands!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: We had a pretty bad thunderstorm last night at around 4am. Walter barked for a few minutes which somehow only woke me up. :rolleyes: Then Hollis broke through the baby gate intended to keep him downstairs and got into bed with us and was shaking like a leaf for an hour. So, we're pretty tired today!

My brother and I usually use the same dog sitter - she's seriously amazing - but she was unavailable for either of our vacations this year so he and I are trading. He's going to watch Hollis in a few weeks. I hope Hollis behaves! Even if he does, as Walter pretty much has, I realize now that it's a lot. I'm only telling him the good stuff while he's on vacation so hopefully he does the same! In fact, Walter's two accidents are between me and Walter. My lips are sealed!

ETA - I wish I had thought of the Peanut Butter Kong! Walter doesn't get any peanut snacks at home because my nephew is allergic but I bet he would love it!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwwww... they are both so beautiful!! :love: :love: :love: You are doing a good job though! He is probably really scared that he will "loose" you too - poor thing - sometimes they understand nothing - maybe he thinks he has lost his owner :halo:

P

PierreBear

What a good sister! I'm sure your brother will return the favor when you need some dog sitting help? : )

Q

Queenie60

Hi pupmon - beautiful pups! Guessing that Hollis is healthy after the scare of a month ago or so? You're a great doggy aunt!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw they are both so sweet! :love: it's basically like taking care of someone else's child for a week lol! It's really nice of you to dog- sit puppmom, and you're certainly doing everything you can to make him feel comfortable and at home. And it helps to know your brother is going to return the favor!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
missy|1469446553|4059041 said:
Puppmom, Aww what a sweetie! Both dogs are beautiful. :love: You are a great Auntie and taking amazing care of your nephew. I am sure he is missing his parents but he is lucky to have you guys to take care of him while they are on vacation and I hope his anxiety goes away very soon once he realizes he is safe and loved. It sounds like he needs a playmate full time when your brother gets back since he is getting along with Hollis so well. Love the photo of Hollis and Walter chilling on the couch. :love:

Rockinruby, those peanut butter pops sound delicious. :lickout:

Missy, the dogs absolutely love them! :appl: I save the larger yogurt containers and sometimes use those for the molds if I'm making large pup pops. For smaller ones I have a silicone mold, but honestly I use my cookie scoop most of the time. I just scoop small amounts onto a wax sheet and freeze them for 15-30 mins. Once they don't stick to each other then I just thrown them in a freezer bag. I sometimes make them with items that help boost the immune system or other. Just depends if any of the dogs are having a particular issue. (Goji berries, blueberries, local raw honey, etc.). My friend makes little tiny ones for her cats, but I'm not sure what the ingredients are. She says the cats enjoy the too. :wavey:

puppmom said:
:wavey: We had a pretty bad thunderstorm last night at around 4am. Walter barked for a few minutes which somehow only woke me up. :rolleyes: Then Hollis broke through the baby gate intended to keep him downstairs and got into bed with us and was shaking like a leaf for an hour. So, we're pretty tired today!

My brother and I usually use the same dog sitter - she's seriously amazing - but she was unavailable for either of our vacations this year so he and I are trading. He's going to watch Hollis in a few weeks. I hope Hollis behaves! Even if he does, as Walter pretty much has, I realize now that it's a lot. I'm only telling him the good stuff while he's on vacation so hopefully he does the same! In fact, Walter's two accidents are between me and Walter. My lips are sealed!

ETA - I wish I had thought of the Peanut Butter Kong! Walter doesn't get any peanut snacks at home because my nephew is allergic but I bet he would love it!

Puppmom, you are both so wonderful for watching the dogs for each other. :appl: It is so hard to find someone trustworthy and available! I'm a bit worried about the basset I will be watching this wknd. It sounds like he barks a lot. Not that they've told me that, but I can hear him in the background at times, lol. Hope I can manage as gracefully as you have!

For future reference you can make stuffing without the peanut butter. I don't give my dogs peanut butter or anything like peanut butter treats before going on therapy visits. There are no policies about this for our group, but I wouldn't my dog to have peanut butter then go around any kids with allergies. I know lots of people do it, but it scares me to think we could inadvertently cause a reaction.

I believe Kong even sells stuffing made for their products. :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding peanut butter, when I worked with the CDC I asked one of their food scientists what he did not eat. He immediately responded "Peanut butter" even though he loves it because of the aflatoxin (mold that grows on peanuts, it is a quick killer of the liver). So if you extrapolate to a dog sized body, peanut butter would not be your first choice for a Kong treat. I switched to whey/Easy Cheez, which is sticky like peanut butter and all protein, ask the body builders :lol: :lol:

Puppmom, was it you that had a convo here on PS Hangout with me about 2 years ago regarding canine allergies and itch? If so, I have some good news for you.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Azstonie, Hollis does have allergies and skin issues so maybe that was me? Share away! I need some good news.

Adventures in dog sitting continue...Hollis ended up with two staples to his hind leg last night. We noticed blood on the floor and promptly examined both dogs (not the children :lol: ). Hollis had a clean puncture/gash (almost like something hooked him). We don't know how it happened but the vet was confident it was not a bite which was a relief - the dogs have been getting along fine so I would have been shocked if Walter bit Hollis. We examined our fence this morning to see if we could find a nail or something else sticking out and nothing.

Hollis has definitely been stressed out by the company. He's thrown up bile 6 times this week (could have been Walter but he never throws up at home). Now, he's a puker but 6 times in 6 months would be a lot let alone 6 times in 5 days. Walter also peed on the rug again. I've cleaned up enough puke and pee for a lifetime! The running joke now in our house is Hollis is trying to frame Walter so we'll send him home. I think he's ready to have the house to himself. He has a bell on the back door that he rings to go out. This week, he's been ringing the bell so that Walter runs to the door too. I open it and Walter runs out and Hollis walks back into the kitchen! :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh puppmom, you didn't need an injury on top of everything else! So sorry to hear about Hollis, I can't imagine how he managed to that and I'm glad he's ok.

Too funny about Hollis ringing the bell just to get rid of Walter, wow, he's pretty smart! :D They really do sound like two kids!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results