shape
carat
color
clarity

Confession time - Have you played Pokemon Go?

Have you played Pokemon Go, confession time...

• Yes, I have played it.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, I have never played it.

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • No, but I really want to play it.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No, I have never heard of it.

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trainer Level 15
Pokemon: Seen and caught 63 different Pokemon
Gym: Team Valor, holding 2 gyms

The stories of injury and etc are because people don't pay attention to what they are doing. I always look up and walk as normal and the phone will vibrate if there is a Pokemon within range. The tracking radar no longer works so there's no point in using it. PokeVision is supposedly very accurate but it is down more often than up. I also turn the AR off because it is more distracting when I'm trying to toss the Pokeball. At a higher level, it is better to master the "curveball throw" to increase your chances of catching the Pokemon.

P

PierreBear

I haven't seen the appeal as an adult but that's because chores or other things are calling my name.... I have to say that my sister in law and her boyfriend are outside more often because of this game. They are both trying to exercise more and this gives them an excuse to make a "walk" more appealing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1469624582|4059778 said:
Trainer Level 15
Pokemon: Seen and caught 63 different Pokemon
Gym: Team Valor, holding 2 gyms

The stories of injury and etc are because people don't pay attention to what they are doing. I always look up and walk as normal and the phone will vibrate if there is a Pokemon within range. The tracking radar no longer works so there's no point in using it. PokeVision is supposedly very accurate but it is down more often than up. I also turn the AR off because it is more distracting when I'm trying to toss the Pokeball. At a higher level, it is better to master the "curveball throw" to increase your chances of catching the Pokemon.

Go Chrono!!!! :lol: My son is almost on level 14.... Do your gyms have a high turn over? We have one right near out house but it seems to change teams anywhere from 5 to 6 times on an average day to 12 or more times on a busy a day. There is obviously lots of people battling near where I live.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Arkieb1!

The Poke-gym near my workplace is always changing teams, usually several times a day, because it's next to a college where there are many GO players. The one near my house is quiet because I live in a tiny remote town. :lol: It also helps when your Pokemon is at least 1000 CP.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I played a LOT of pokemon in my 20's. My oldest son loved to play. It was a way for us to bond. I know it wasn't really a multiplayer game, but he would play red, I would play blue and it was fun. Then we would play the other versions too. THEN they came out with Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap and it was all over! We played together all.of.the.time!

But then again, we played The Legend Of Zelda all of the time too.

I really WANT to play Pokemon Go! I just haven't had the time. My oldest son IS playing and comes over, grabs my dogs, and takes them for frequent walks just so that he can find Pokemon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I guess what I am saying is...My dogs LOVE Pokemon Go!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that not paying attention to your surroundings is unavoidable (to some extent) while playing the game. The whole concept of the game requires you to focus on your phone for various amounts of time. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. The same could be said of texting and taking selfies (people have gotten hurt and/or died doing those things too). I'm not criticizing the game and I agree that getting people active is a good thing. However, I just don't feel the game safe and I think people are already overly-distracted by their cell phones (in general), so for me, the disadvantages (the safety risks) outweigh the advantages (being active).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1469633437|4059830 said:
I think that not paying attention to your surroundings is unavoidable (to some extent) while playing the game. The whole concept of the game requires you to focus on your phone for various amounts of time. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. The same could be said of texting and taking selfies (people have gotten hurt and/or died doing those things too). I'm not criticizing the game and I agree that getting people active is a good thing. However, I just don't feel the game safe and I think people are already overly-distracted by their cell phones (in general), so for me, the disadvantages (the safety risks) outweigh the advantages (being active).
Whilst one needs to focus on the phone to aim the Pokeball for the catch, why not stand still in a safe spot? I don't understand why this is difficult to do. When my phone vibrates, I look around to make sure I am in a safe position / place. If I'm not, I make sure I am on the grass / sidewalk, then I click on the Pokemon.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I understand that, but not everyone does that. I've seen people play it and I've witnessed some pretty unsafe behaviors. There is a spot in my neighborhood where there is a Pokemon and unfortunately, it is on a blind curve in the road. I have seen young kids on bikes stop there and cars can't see them until they are right up on them. The game doesn't know that it potentially puts people in an unsafe environment and then add that to the fact that not everyone uses common sense while playing the game. I really think that it's only a matter of time before some dies and/or is killed while playing the game (just like people die while texting & taking selfies). Again, if others play it and enjoy it, then I don't have a problem with that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1469636658|4059847 said:
^I understand that, but not everyone does that. I've seen people play it and I've witnessed some pretty unsafe behaviors. There is a spot in my neighborhood where there is a Pokemon and unfortunately, it is on a blind curve in the road. I have seen young kids on bikes stop there and cars can't see them until they are right up on them. The game doesn't know that it potentially puts people in an unsafe environment and then add that to the fact that not everyone uses common sense while playing the game. I really think that it's only a matter of time before some dies and/or is killed while playing the game (just like people die while texting & taking selfies). Again, if others play it and enjoy it, then I don't have a problem with that.

+1

I'm fine with others enjoying something that I don't enjoy ... people vary and all that.
I'm even fine with them killing themselves and each other while enjoying it ... Darwin cleaning up some shitty DNA. ;-)

I'm not fine with them killing me or other innocents.
Eventually there will be deaths.
How many deaths till Pokemon Go is taken off the market?
Hmm.
That will be interesting to watch considering those sacred thingies like free speech and life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Wouldn't it be great if Pokemon arguments end up in the US Supreme Court?

As with many things it's the morons, not the responsible users, who will ruin it for everyone else.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I wish! It sounds fun!

I have teens on the autism spectrum, and my H and I have been reading them stuff about the game and watching occasional vids to try to pique their interest, but to no avail...they think it is pretty well the DUMBEST thing they've ever heard of. Sigh. It' too bad, because I think it could be a great impetus for them in getting out and engaging with the community a bit, and being social. Also, without the excuse of supporting and supervising them I can't justify the time for me to give it a go....so yeah, probably an ulterior motive in trying to pique their interest there too. ;))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1469629655|4059804 said:
I saw this and it reminded me of this picture!

thats-the-sixth-walk-today-wtfisa-pokemon-dogs-everywhere-hate-3056033.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1469651576|4059966 said:

Hahahaha!
Poor doggie! :blackeye:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1469637441|4059853 said:

+1

I'm fine with others enjoying something that I don't enjoy ... people vary and all that.
I'm even fine with them killing themselves and each other while enjoying it ... Darwin cleaning up some shitty DNA. ;-)

Hmm.
That will be interesting to watch considering those sacred thingies like free speech and life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

As with many things it's the morons, not the responsible users, who will ruin it for everyone else.

Seriously?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I have not played but like the dog above I took my son for a bike ride so he could catch some more. He said there is some kind
of something maybe portal or something at the front of our neighborhood. We rode down to a lake where there was some other kind
of place where he could get some eggs. I thought it was kind of fun how it got us out of the house.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1469657183|4060000 said:

+1

Hmm.

Seriously?

Seriously?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1469651576|4059966 said:
I think of my babies whenever I see this meme!!!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1

Hmm.

Technically, if you are unable to avoid the morons playing Pokemon Go! then that is Darwinism at work too.....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1469579636|4059671 said:
yennyfire|1469575700|4059645 said:
At the risk of sounding like a flaming idiot (I have not downloaded the app).... :oops: How does one actually "see" these Pokemon? I see photos on FB of people with one hovering in front of them and I don't get it. And once you see it, how do you catch it? And what the hell is a "Pokestop"?? How do you find it and what do you do once you're there?? I want to know, but don't really want to download the app. Thanks (in advance) for helping an old gal out (I might even manage to impress my tween with my newfound knowledge!! He, by the way, seems to have zero interest in this, as he's not asked to download the app himself)...

What the hell is wrong with you?
You're supposed to JUST KNOW!

:lol:
I.Am.Way.Behind.The.Times. :rolleyes:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PintoBean|1469577357|4059659 said:
yennyfire said:
At the risk of sounding like a flaming idiot (I have not downloaded the app).... :oops: How does one actually "see" these Pokemon? I see photos on FB of people with one hovering in front of them and I don't get it. And once you see it, how do you catch it? And what the hell is a "Pokestop"?? How do you find it and what do you do once you're there?? I want to know, but don't really want to download the app. Thanks (in advance) for helping an old gal out (I might even manage to impress my tween with my newfound knowledge!! He, by the way, seems to have zero interest in this, as he's not asked to download the app himself)...
From what the gentleman explained to me, the pokes tops are the blue floaty cube things and when you are in the vicinity of one, you see a circle and you swipe left to right and you get to collect stuff like poke balls that are used to catch Pokemon.

When you see a Pokemon, you flick from down up to fling the ball at the Pokemon.

That's all I know :lol:
Thanks Pinto Bean! That's way more than I knew!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not only don't I know what it is I didn't even know it was something one played. I have a vague memory of hearing the word Pokemon somewhere but no clue what it or Pokemon Go is nor do I have any interest in exploring it further besides reading this thread. I bet my nieces know though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results