shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher + pear sidestone bezel reset from David Klass

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to share some pictures of my asscher with pear side stones both before and after the bezel reset. I figured this would be a good comparison for those thinking about prongs vs. bezel in terms of look and coverage.

My reset story is somewhat unique in that I did not want to reset at all. My DH and I picked out my stone and setting together back in 2006. I’ve always been very sentimental about my ring, but after a couple of years of wearing it I realized that the setting was probably a bit too dainty for daily wear. I took the ring in for regular inspections, but a couple of months ago the inevitable happened: a side stone fell out. Miraculously, I found the side stone in our house, but I knew at that point I would need a new setting.

My DH told me I should just re-set the ring however I wanted, then we could keep the original setting and replace the center stone down the road. I seriously considered it—especially because I knew that the reset was never going to be the same as the original, but ultimately I decided I wanted to keep it as close to the original as I could. So I sent the original setting to David Klass and asked for a bezeled version of the same thing.

David was great to work with. Even though I thought the process would be simple, I think I went through 6 versions of CADs because I kept making small tweaks. He was patient throughout the entire process. He was also incredibly accommodating to the fact that I wanted to stick to the original design using the original stones, which didn’t exactly lend itself to letting him use his creative chops.
For the record, the center stone is a 1.55 carat asscher, F, VS2. The pears are only about 20 points each, G, VS. Ring size is a big, honkin’ 8.

BEFORE AND AFTER (After pic is taken with iPhone, will need to update with DSLR pics later)

nelbeforering.jpg

nelafterring.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Also, here are a few pics from David Klass. I need to get some hand shots with my DSLR--the iPhone doesn't pick up the milgrain detail very well.

Overall, I love the ring. I really love how the bezel accentuates the shape of the asscher. Even though I am very sentimental about the original setting, I think this setting does more to showcase the asscher itself. If I were to start from scratch, I would probably design the ring a little differently (for instance the rounds are so teeny tiny at a third of a point that they don't really do much), but I'm still happy I incorporated all of the original stones.

dknel1.jpg

dknel2.jpg

dknel3.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! I saw it on David's Fbook page & hoped it would pop up here with more pictures! :appl:

Do you have profile shots? Enjoy - it really is a beauty & is completely true to your original setting :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the reset very much, the bezel really accentuates the Asscher. Beautiful!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE this. Looks great! Timeless.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh! I love it! The bezels add so much, I love how it flows now!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Agreed: the bezel accentuates the asscher by mirroring its angles. LOVE the reset, especially because it's so true to your original ring.

Wear in good health always! :appl: :appl: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love: I love everything about it, and I think the small rounds are a great design feature - very happy for you NEL, it turned out beautifully! :dance: :clap:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it turned out so well! I really like the bezels! Enjoy your beautiful ring! :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how this turned out!!!!!

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
Your new setting is so pretty! It still looks delicate while being more secure.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Love the look with the bezels! :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Alex, I tried taking my own gallery shots last night with my DSLR, but it really wasn't any better than my iPhone, so I'm attaching the photos that David sent me. One is the gallery and one is a side view.

When I was reviewing CADs, Gypsy noticed the gallery under the asscher was fairly boxy. I hemmed and hawed about tapering it in a bit, but because of my large fingers, I actually don't like my bands sitting close to the setting. So I kept the gallery as is and I'm glad I did. I was surprised at how it doesn't really look boxy in person.

nelgallery.jpg

nelsideview.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL, your ring is beautiful. So graceful and elegant. Just beautiful. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results