shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a 5ct+ ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
P3 problem. Pass. On a big stone like that a P3 issue is a no go.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is budget?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, in an emerald cut stone that large, I would recommend a lower ratio of length to width. That one is more elongated than I'd want. Stick to the 1.30-1.39 range. The thing is, maybe one out of 20 ECs are great cut, and you won't have a huge selection from which to choose. Same with every fancy shape diamond. You were incredibly lucky on the asscher as those are also very hard to find in a great cut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond ratios are very personal. I love the ratio of that EC.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that one too. I so wish I could wear yellow (and had a house to sell). A stone like this has the perfect ratio, color and looks like a stunner. For someone with compatible coloring, I think it would look amazing in a setting like LittleSparkle's ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation.161471/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation.161471/[/URL]) or this setting http://www.costerfinejewelry.com/Engagement_Rings/Engagement_Rings_9.html with a bit more refinement in the band.

bpc

Rough_Rock
Like the last one, just trying to find something that is great and great value. No particular budget I have to hit.

What do people think of the august vintage cushion?

bpc

Rough_Rock
Another one from Yekutiel (who reads this forum and had a new suggestion immediately after seeing the P3 comment!)

H/VVS2 6.21 carat

gia_5171365246-idealscope-01.jpg

gia_5171365246-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_5171365246-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_5171365246-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's got one "iffy" step. Can Yekutiel do a video of it? I am inclined to like it a lot though, despite that step, and if that step lights up right, then I think you'd be good.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeek, my mind dropped one of those decimal places. But, he did say no budget...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bpc said:
Like the last one, just trying to find something that is great and great value. No particular budget I have to hit.

What do people think of the august vintage cushion?

I would take the avc in a heartbeat if I had the budget for it. :sun:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bpc, how about this one from Adam at Old World Diamonds?

5 carat K OEC, VS2. $84K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAffsnCTsRU&feature=youtu.be

GIA REPORT. 2171571694

Not sure what you color requirements are. I went from F MRB TO K OEC. I'm surprised I don't regret it. I can honestly say I love my K. The multicolor bold flashes are amazing.

The video has these weird yellow stripes going through it. It's not tint to the stone. I'll look for the GIA for you. Contact Adam.m he can take more videos for you indifferent lighting environments.

This Gia is really fuzzy. Sorry. Contact Adam and tell him you're the Pricescoper that is interested in the 5 carat K OEC. He give you info directly. He is really low pressure and super easy to chat with. He works with people on pricing too. Can't hurt.

I personally trust his taste when he tells me that an OEC is a good one. I bought my baby sister to this one, 3 carat K OEC from him. And he has a great upgrade policy, but I can't imagine that being important to you since you're starting at 5. ;-)

If you get any over videos share those with us! I would love to see more of this one. (I didn't see this in person.).

_1300.png

bpc

Rough_Rock
The iffy step being on top, the white bar in the first picture?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bpc - were you able to see any videos of the EC's? I find videos are a big help with fancies. Then you can gauge how you feel about the steps as they turn on and off in movement.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1469559042|4059517 said:
Here's the video on the second EC
https://youtu.be/yC4G0UQhz4k

Hi bpc, I don't love this EC. I wonder if it's just the lighting but it doesn't grab me in any way. Of course it is you it needs to impress... :). Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AVC would be fabulous and FAR more rare and unique than an emerald cut, although I like both. m2b is a member here and she has a 5 ct AVC set by Steven Kirsch (on the right in the picture).

_37887.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc! I hope you're still reading :) I was at IDJ and asked to see some stunners and the potential 6 carat EC came out! And my oh my....WOWWWWZERRRRR!!! She was large and in charge and really took my breath away :lol: - had lots of fire, super bright and I found her facets to be very pretty. I thought it might be helpful to you to see some IRL pictures of her so you could judge for yourself. Yekutiel told me he intentionally took the video in the poorest lighting so you could see the 'worst' - I have a video of her really showing her stuff but don't know how to get it on here!! I would totally want to steal her from you if I had those kind of funds :Up_to_something:

_37899.jpg

_37900.jpg

_37901.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun, ac117! It looks beautiful. I can see the area that is dark. You didn't notice it much in real life? Very hard to find perfect ones, so the aim has to be to find a very good one, and this might be.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loads of fun, as always! I can now debut my upgrade once I gave some time to take some proper pics :angel:

I must honestly say I did not! I do see the facet in some of the pictures since it's a still photo but when are you ever that still in real life?! :lol: the facet right below lights on and off and distracts from the one in question. I don't think there's a step cut out there that is completely perfect (I've read here on PS that they would be nearly impossible to even cut!). That being said, I do feel this one is up there and would be a phenomenal value, which bpc said he's looking for.

bpc

Rough_Rock
you have to upload to YouTube I think, forum doesn't take videos

I'm debating the EV vs the AVC

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is is important that the 2nd room look similar or different from the first? Unless you set the Emerald very differently from the Asscher, it will have a similar feel as the Asscher. This could be good or bad depending on the norms and your preferences.

Here is another Asscher to consider, which is already set. I'm not a stone-pro, so hopefully others will chime in.
http://www.langantiques.com/vintage-engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-rings/3-65-carat-asscher-cut-fancy-deep-orangy-yellow-diamond-ring.html

I personally prefer the AVC, but that I'm an old-cut lover. If you lean to the Emerald, but want it to have a different feel, then here are a few setting ideas.

AssherGirl's 2.52 Emerald Cut
asscher-girl-emerald-cut-diamond-ring.jpg
(http://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-stunning-25-carat-emerald-cut-diamond-ring).

Harry Winston (or Winston inspired) for either.
winstonhalo_0.jpg

Or this stripped down and wider band (Bonhams London sale, April 2014)
bonhams187diamondring.jpg

orangeasscher.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the AVC. Why? First, it is an outstanding cut diamond. It is a specialty cut and no one else in her world will likely ever have anything like it. She and m2b might be the only two people in the world with over 5 ct AVCs. You have already used Steven for the asscher and he set m2b's ring and you can see how magnificent it is.

Yes, I like the EC, too, but it does not approach the rarity and outstanding cut of the AVC.

I guess I should ask a question, however. Does the recipient already have any large diamonds, and if so, what shape are they?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results