shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this stone worth? Did I get a good deal?

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hear you about pricing the parti aka bicolour gems. I think it comes down to the aesthetic appeal of each particular stone with them. Thank you for replying and I am definitely going to look into your suggestions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all this information. Would the royal blue stones to the right of this chart be more or less costly in general than the $12,000 per carat stated for the two stones in the selection you made? Also would the price go down as you go down the chart and up as you go towards the top of the extreme ends of the rows?

PrecisionGem|1468844216|4056636 said:
Here is a table of Blue Sapphire, showing the difference between Tone and Saturation. Every stone in a given ROW have the same Tone, and every stone in a column have the same Saturation.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can see some of the stones are marked GEM. These would be the most expensive, followed by those marked AAA....
Anything marked GEM would be priced basically the same. In real life you will not find many stones that are GEM quality. This represents maybe the top 2%. The somewhat subtle difference between GEM and AAA can translate into thousands of dollars for the stone. Looking at a photograph of a stone, these variations in color, tone and saturation would be impossible to discern.

Great lesson!

(The final prices seem high compared to what I have seen in Bangkok or see online,... forgive me for already having an opinion here.)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The prices may seem high, but you have to remember, where you really looking at GEM quality stones, over 3 carats? By GEM quality we mean in color, tone, saturation, clarity and cut. This represents the top 2% of stones seen. The difference in price with a typical cut can be thousands per carat less, or a slight change in saturation can reduce the price dramatically.
It is difficult for someone who is not very experienced working with sapphires to grade them, especially when you don't have other stones or a color set to compare them against. Of course the dealer showing you the stone will tell you it top gem quality, the best of the best.

Yes, probably you are right. Ignore my remark. I will need to spend some serious $$$ before I get to judge the top 2%

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results