shape
carat
color
clarity

Gator tragedy, parents not suing Disney

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have grieved many things in my life, most of them didn't even involve death. I believe the main point of grief is to ask "Why?" Once you answer that question in a way that gives your heart peace, you can move on.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad they didn't sue, and I'm also glad that they (99% likely) got a large payout from Disney. Although I may have been on the opposite side of the 'argument' it doesn't really matter. It happened, and I couldn't imagine trying to go back to work for a long time after that. They need time to grieve, and without proper income they could end up going into bankruptcy or losing their home.

I think suing isn't always about the money, it is about anger. They want that person to be punished, they want some sort of vindication, teach them a lesson. The money is just the way western society punishes people - fines, tickets, etc. I would highly doubt a family who lost a child goes into a lawsuit thinking "YES! We're gonna hit the jackpot off Disney now! CA CHING".

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1469114940|4057950 said:
I am glad they didn't sue, and I'm also glad that they (99% likely) got a large payout from Disney. Although I may have been on the opposite side of the 'argument' it doesn't really matter. It happened, and I couldn't imagine trying to go back to work for a long time after that. They need time to grieve, and without proper income they could end up going into bankruptcy or losing their home.

I think suing isn't always about the money, it is about anger. They want that person to be punished, they want some sort of vindication, teach them a lesson. The money is just the way western society punishes people - fines, tickets, etc. I would highly doubt a family who lost a child goes into a lawsuit thinking "YES! We're gonna hit the jackpot off Disney now! CA CHING".

I agree with this 100%... I think about this family almost daily, and I can't even begin to comprehend the pain they are going through and will be forever.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a person close to me and her daughter were murdered I asked "Why?" countless times. Had anyone balked at my doing so or acted as if I shouldn't have been shocked, I would have wanted that person far away from me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1469065153|4057793 said:
kenny|1469059922|4057752 said:
Wow.
I'm not able to delete that intemperate response of mine, kenny, so I've asked the moderators to remove it. I hope you will accept my apologies for getting so hot-headed and going off on you.

Thank you Molly.
I appreciate that. :))

Over the years I too have posted a few hot headed things I've regretted.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1469118289|4057983 said:
Thank you Molly.
I appreciate that. :))

Over the years I too have posted a few hot headed things I've regretted.
kenny, I deeply appreciate your graciousness -- thanks ever so much!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend :wavey:
~ Molly

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Repeatedly (and sometimes even obsessively) asking "why?" and "what if...?" is a completely natural reaction to trauma. And losing a child suddenly do to a tragic accident is basically the worse kind of trauma anybody can suffer. It's amazing how all-consuming it can be to question why something so awful can happen to you after suffering a life-changing trauma. I have been thinking about this couple often over the past weeks.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1469045660|4057665 said:
kenny|1469040961|4057638 said:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...-20160720-story.html

Quote from article, "Matt Graves said in the statement that "Melissa and I are broken.
We will forever struggle to comprehend why this happened to our sweet baby, Lane."

Why?
Because unfortunately your son was where the gator could do what gators just do.
That's why this happened.
It's just nature, like being struck by lightning.

What am I missing? :think:
Why ask why when the reason is so simple and obvious?

I'm glad they are not suing.

What are you missing? Maybe a little sensitivity?
They are not really asking why....as Tekate said, they are just asking a theoretical why. Why them? Why in that particular moment? Why their son? I would be asking why and I'd be questioning that moment every day for the rest of my life had I experienced what they did. Absolutely nothing about watching your child being killed by an alligator right in front of you is simple or obvious. It's complicated, and tragic, and unfair, and horribly painful.
In terms of a law suit, I suppose that by not suing, they are demonstrating that they claim some responsibility for the incident, which makes me sort of happy to see in a world that is so quick to place blame.

HUGE co-sign to this. This should NOT be an opportunity to blame; I'm sure there were people on that same beach daily, likely wading too, who didn't face peril, so the question why is a valid one for GRIEVING parents. Sheesh!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results