shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Donald Trump Actually Ill?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Brooks, a Republican, wrote an Op-ed piece for "The New York Times" that has readers speculating on whether Donald Trump is suffering from a number of ailments. Among them are Alzheimer's Disease and ADHD. At least one person believes he has an organic brain malfunction. (There seems to be a consensus that he is narcissistic.) Although there were certainly some jokes made amongst the many comments, the majority of the postings about possible illnesses from which he might be suffering were erudite and serious. (The comments section of "The New York Times" page is heavily monitored and only comments that are deemed intelligent are allowed on the page.)

Here are some excerpts from Mr. Brooks' column.

"Does anybody else have the sense that Donald Trump is slipping off the rails? His speeches have always had a rambling, free association quality, but a couple of the recent ones have, as the Republican political consultant Mike Murphy put it, passed from the category of rant to the category of full on 'drunk wedding toast.'

Trump’s verbal style has always been distinct. He doesn’t really speak in sentences or paragraphs. His speeches are punctuated by five- or six-word jabs that are sort of strung together by connections that can only be understood through chaos theory: 'They want the wall … I dominated with the evangelicals … I won in a landslide … We can’t be the stupid people anymore.'

Occasionally Trump will attempt a sentence longer than eight words, but no matter what subject he starts the sentence with, by the end he has been pulled over to the subject of himself. Here’s an example from the Mike Pence announcement speech: 'So one of the primary reasons I chose Mike was I looked at Indiana, and I won Indiana big.' There’s sort of a gravitational narcissistic pull that takes command whenever he attempts to utter a compound thought.

Trump has also always been a little engine fueled by wounded pride. For example, writing in BuzzFeed, McKay Coppins recalls the fusillade of abuse he received from Trump after writing an unflattering profile (he called Mar-a-Lago a 'nice, if slightly dated, hotel').

Trump was so inflamed he tweeted retaliation at Coppins several times a day and at odd hours, calling him a 'dishonest slob' and 'true garbage with no credibility.' The attacks went on impressively for over two years, which must rank Coppins in the top 100,000 on the list of people Donald Trump resents.

Over the past few weeks these longstanding Trump patterns have gone into hyperdrive. This is a unique moment in American political history in which the mental stability of one of the major party nominees is the dominating subject of conversation.

Everybody is telling Trump to ratchet it down and be more sober, but at a rally near Cincinnati this month and in his Pence announcement speech on Saturday, Trump launched his verbal rocket ship straight through the stratosphere, and it landed somewhere on the dark side of Planet Debbie.

The Pence announcement was truly the strangest vice-presidential unveiling in recent political history. Ricocheting around the verbal wilds for more than twice as long as the man he was introducing, Trump even refused to remain onstage and gaze on admiringly as Pence flattered him. It was like watching a guy lose interest in a wedding when the bride appears.

The structure of his mental perambulations also seems to have changed. Formerly, as I said, his speeches had a random, free-form quality. But on Saturday his remarks had a distinct through line, anchored by the talking points his campaign had written down on pieces of paper. But Trump could not keep his attention focused on this through line — since the subject was someone else — so every 30 seconds or so he would shoot off on a resentment-filled bragging loop.

If you had to do a rough diagram of the Trump remarks it would be something like this: Pence … I was right about Iraq … Pence … Hillary Clinton is a crooked liar … I was right about 'Brexit' … Pence … Hillary Clintons ads are filled with lies … We’re going to bring back the coal industry … Christians love me … Pence … I talk to statisticians … Pence is good looking … My hotel in Washington is really coming along fantastically … Pence.

(snip)​

Suddenly the global climate favors a Trump candidacy. Some forms of disorder — like a financial crisis — send voters for the calm supple thinker. But other forms of disorder — blood in the streets — send them scurrying for the brutal strongman.

If the string of horrific events continues, Trump could win the presidency. And he could win it even though he has less and less control over himself."

AGBF

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I actually do think he probably has some component of mental illness. He is definitely narcissistic, but I'm unsure whether it's a trait or true narcissistic personality disorder. His disinhibition and ridiculous speech actually make me wonder about early dementia.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm a fan of David Brooks and I agree that something is not right with the Donald. Dementia would explain his lies and his ability to sluff all criticism off(denials). I think he is delusional.

Annette

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a kid growing up in NYC I thought he was crazy in the 70s.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Dementia would explain his lies and his ability to sluff all criticism off

Anyone live or take care of someone with dementia.

If so, the characteristics in the quoted post do not apply.

People with dementia do not lie or" sluff off criticism."

It is a devastating disease that does not need to joked about.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1468947196|4057183 said:
Dementia would explain his lies and his ability to sluff all criticism off

Anyone live or take care of someone with dementia.

If so, the characteristics in the quoted post do not apply.

People with dementia do not lie or" sluff off criticism."

It is a devastating disease that does not need to joked about.

I agree that the description of dementia above is not the best one possible, but I do not believe that anyone was joking about it. Why would you assume that because someone was not a great wordsmith that the person was joking? And, yes, I am living with someone with dementia right now.

AGBF

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

No, I wasn't making any joke. He doesn't seem to have the need to explain his different opinions from one time to the next. He seems to go from one thought to the next without recognizing that he said something different a day, week or month earlier. These have been called lies in the media because there are times he denies saying them or people fact check and find his un- truthiness.

I roomed with a woman who had dementia, and she just denied that she said something else the previous day. Of course she just didn't remember. That's what I was alluding to. Sorry if I was so unclear.

Annette

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I roomed with a woman who had dementia, and she just denied that she said something else the previous day. Of course she just didn't remember. That's what I was alluding to. Sorry if I was so unclear.

And yes that is the difference. A person with dementia cannot remember what they said from day to day or moment to moment as the disease progresses. And then they get combative because I have found that a little part of them knows something is wrong and it is upsetting for them.

Donald Trump says whatever he can at a certain place and time to get the most votes depending on what he thinks that particular crowd wants to hear. And if it does not work well in the media or social networks, he changes it. In other words he is a manipulative liar.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His speech reminds me of a modified word salad.

He's getting there...

Maybe he's just doing meth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had family members who have had dementia (a grandfather and a very dear aunt) and neither were similar to this. Having said that I have also lived with a narcissist that was a pathological liar, and I agree this could be a similar form of behaviour. I also have known two guys (one a very successful businessman) with ADHD who have similar behaviour as well, their minds go a million miles and hour and their though processes unlike yours and mine seem to jump irrationally between concepts frequently in what could be seen as both a rambling and at times delusional manner.

So I don't know, without meeting the guy I can't really judge other than to say that I think he seriously has a chance of becoming the next elected leader of the free world and reflect on what a sorry state your country and the mind space of the average citizen must be to put him there.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these same comments and allegations were made about Hillary, the author would be crucified & labeled a mysoginist.

Q

Queenie60

JoCoJenn|1468981688|4057435 said:
If these same comments and allegations were made about Hillary, the author would be crucified & labeled a mysoginist.

+1

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The author of the column is an ardent Repuplican. He has no reason to turn on Trump. The reason these "allegations" were made was (if you are referring to the descriptions of Trump's speech patterns) that they are accurate.

If you are referring to speculation about mental illness, all I can say is that Secretary Clinton is clearly stable and has given no one any reason to speculate about it. But people have speculated that she has done everything from murder to high treason and no one has yet been crucified for his comments. In fact, people can't wait to find more charges to hurl at her. You are even attempting to turn this thread-which had nothing to do with Secretary Clinton- into an attack on Secretary Clinton.

AGBF

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Queenie60|1468987041|4057457 said:

+1

No doubt

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not say Trump is mentally ill. But that is because I have serious issues with the whole DSM labeling and diagnostic paradigm (a whole other topic). That said however, the DSM does get some descriptions of certain personality types, mostly correct, if not their insistence that those types are "illnesses". My mother had a sister who met every one of the 9 critiera for narcissist - an wreaked total havoc in my mother's family - and Trump is even narcissist-y-er than my aunt was.

The narcissist ...

Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates accomplishments, talents, skills, contacts, and personality traits to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequaled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion

Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)

Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation – or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (Narcissistic Supply)

Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favorable priority treatment

Is "interpersonally exploitative," i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends
Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or accept the feelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others

Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly

Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law," and omnipresent (magical thinking). Rages when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted by people he or she considers inferior to him or her and unworthy

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

But they have been, by Christie last night, by TownHall site, by Briebart site, by Trump himself. Also she's a 'dyke'... she's a killer,

here's a nice site: http://hillaryugly.com/

a demeaning article: http://www.truthnation.com/hillary-clinton-hates-men/

David Brooks has written several articles very critical of Hillary Clinton and he is a republican.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably.

But then again, she isn't behaving as erratically as Trump. She isn't calling Mexicans rapists. She isn't threatening to round up Muslims in camps or send them out of the country. She isn't insulting women. She has never said that she could shoot someone in the middle of Time's Square and no one would do anything about it. She hasn't openly made fun of a DISABLED PERSON!

The guy is disgusting. I have my opinion about it. I will share it.

I can see you getting indignant if your nominee had carried himself with GRACE and DIGNITY and had a strange style of speech, but that isn't the case. Donald Trump is a pig and his speech style is erratic, probably due to his personality disorder.

And I am not going to pander to anyone's warm and gushy love feelings toward a presidential candidate who says "So Saddam used a little gas. Really? Really?

Or how about the time he said we should murder the terrorist's families?

The guy IS REALLY SICK. And we should be discussing that fact.

And honestly, you should have an open mind to the fact that he is sick too, rather than allowing politics to flood your judgement.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO - the fact is she doesn't do anything. And she hasn't done anything. Other than lie and collect checks. You have to understand that as vehemently as you oppose Trump, I and maybe others, just as vehemently despise Hillary. We are concerned about the rights that she would swiftly remove given the opportunity. The Second Amendment being one of them, because you cannot tell me that given the opportunity, she or any other left wing liberal wouldn't do it if they could.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HouseCat- I've said it before many times and say it again, Chump is NOT my candidate, and I don't condone what comes out of his cake hole.

But I also don't condone hypocrisy from a party who claims (and campaigns) to want an end to double standards & false allegations against women & their candidate, yet they have no problem applying it against those they accuse of levying it. Kind of sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

That is all.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1469026026|4057552 said:
HouseCat- I've said it before many times and say it again, Chump is NOT my candidate, and I don't condone what comes out of his cake hole.

But I also don't condone hypocrisy from a party who claims (and campaigns) to want an end to double standards & false allegations against women & their candidate, yet they have no problem applying it against those they accuse of levying it. Kind of sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

That is all.
Hey, hey, I thought I just said why this isn't hypocrisy.

The guy is acting in a manner that is sick. He is saying things that are twisted and sick and we are discussing whether or not this is a sign of illness.

That is very different than what you are saying. The tables can't be turned in that manner on Hillary.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1469026026|4057551 said:
IMHO - the fact is she doesn't do anything. And she hasn't done anything. Other than lie and collect checks. You have to understand that as vehemently as you oppose Trump, I and maybe others, just as vehemently despise Hillary. We are concerned about the rights that she would swiftly remove given the opportunity. The Second Amendment being one of them, because you cannot tell me that given the opportunity, she or any other left wing liberal wouldn't do it if they could.

I can think of no other person other than myself who hated Hillary with a passion, bordering on psychosis. However, your candidate is, imo, a clear and present danger to this country and will set us back years here and abroad. And I cannot just not vote for him, I want my vote to cancel out someone else's. And I'm really PO'd that I have to vote for her. But I will.

I wonder if the Republican party will ever recover from this.

I'm curious as to what rights, other than a sensible gun program you think she will erode? No snark, I would like to know since I have to vote for her.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1469026984|4057559 said:
The tables can't be turned in that manner on Hillary.

Really? She panders to those who call for dead cops. She lies (list of examples is far too long to cite). She claims to want better for women while turning a blind eye to how women are treated by the very groups she defends. I don't have all day to lay out her flip-flopping on issues, but needless to say, I wouldn't trust her to clean a toilet in the white house much less occupy it as a resident.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have said he is not my candidate but now he is the nominee. I am completely against the increased government she will bring, on top of what we have gotten the past 8 years. Our country cannot afford her. Government does not know how to keep from spending and the agencies I have had the "pleasure" to work with are so wasteful and power hungry, the EPA being the worst. Government cannot be efficient and maybe a business person can help with that. Because if the government were a business they would have gone under long ago.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66 said:
I have said he is not my candidate but now he is the nominee. I am completely against the increased government she will bring, on top of what we have gotten the past 8 years. Our country cannot afford her. Government does not know how to keep from spending and the agencies I have had the "pleasure" to work with are so wasteful and power hungry, the EPA being the worst. Government cannot be efficient and maybe a business person can help with that. Because if the government were a business they would have gone under long ago.
Well, Trump has certainly had businesses go belly up. There was a goodly span of time when my uncle's partner's design firm refused to extend him (more accurately, his companies) any further credit & literally ran his checks to the bank as soon as they were delivered. Consequently, they escaped being truly screwed over by him in one of his bankruptcy proceedings. Many other business did not fare as well in his bankruptcy proceedings and/or their lawsuits to get paid.

Trump has never had to be accountable to shareholders and a corporate board of directors. He's never even had to report to anyone but his father -- and that was decades ago. There are no corporate SEC filings and annual reports to be had; he's refused to release any tax returns, a refusal that really sticks in my craw.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the insight but that does not convince me that another career bureaucrat who lies incessantly can fix any of the problems that I laid out. I totally agree on the tax return issue.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1469027910|4057568 said:
Yup, enough is enough!. 4 more yrs of Obama?..then our country will be $25 trillion in debt... :knockout:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I have read some articles on the Web hypothesizing that some of Trump's erratic behavior can be attributed to his lack of sleep - often only 4 hours per night.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1469033456|4057600 said:
I have read some articles on the Web hypothesizing that some of Trump's erratic behavior can be attributed to his lack of sleep - often only 4 hours per night.

Why did people let this thread get diverted from this very point: Trump's erratic behavior (or, as the author of the article was reporting, erratic speech)? This thread is about Trump and how absolutely wild his speech is. No one else in public life speaks the way he does.

AGBF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because that is what we do. It is almost inevitable. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results