shape
carat
color
clarity

thought I share my lightning ridge crystal opal

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
It's great to see more opals showing up in the CS forum! I thought I share my LR crystal opal, esp for those who are looking and wondering what's out there. I know I usually start at PS when I begin any gemstone or jewelry research. I certainly had no idea where to look when I first started the search two years... as you all know, opals aren't the easiest gemstone to judge on screen... Shopping in person isn't that easy either even if you're in Australia. Making the search difficult is the huge presence of these dull, lacklustre opals that are meant to be sold as souvenirs, which also meant any nice sizable solid ones were priced quite high.

I only really started to appreciate opals a few years ago when I made the semi-permanent move to Australia. Being more exposed to this gem in all its amazing variations, esp the crystal kind, I began to understand how beautiful this stone can be so I started my search for my own unique momento of Australia. Although I am a bit biased, I think this opal is quite special (and frankly, darn hard to find within budget)... It's from black opal direct - 2.66 ct crystal opal, body tone is ~N8, brightness is about 4.5/5, and the colors encompass the rainbow (flashes of red, turquoise, yellow, orange and lots of green and blue). Its body is transparent and the depth and layers of color are unbelievable. I was going to wait on buying it but the DH beat me to it and purchased it as a surprise. Justin at black opal direct is very very knowledgeable and helpful. I also spent plenty of time perusing opalauctions and its forums and found some very knowledgeable folks & threads... even took myself to an opal museum...

Now onto photos - they are a bit blurry as I took them with an iPhone. My fancy camera lacks a macro lens so the photos weren't great :) No immediate plans for it yet but needless to say, I'm very happy with it!

The predominant colors (greens & blues) in natural light:
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_1.jpg

Just noticed that it kind of looks like a pastel camouflage patterned easter egg... Under halogen indoor lights:
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_4.jpg

Natural light:
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_5.jpg
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_10.jpg
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_3.jpg

As a comparison, these are the vendor photos:
from youtube:
2_8.png
in daylight:
2_100.jpg

And just for kicks, an "inspiration" opal (albeit one of many) I stumbled upon at a local antique shop - "the Neptune Opal"...
neptuneopal.jpg

Thanks for reading! ::)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty & you're smart to take advantage of being in Australia to get 1. an opal, 2. an education, & 3. lots of fun ogling them! That should make a wonderful pendant -- you could pick other stones to go with it from the entire rainbow. I'm impressed with the vendor photo compared to your RL ones -- very accurate. Thanks for a morning (here) look at pretties!

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! :love: I am partial to opals because they are so lovely. The colors are beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular opal; the colour just either jumps out at you or glows. Thanks for sharing such a not often seen stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
fantastic dispersion in that opal!! I love the idea of a pendant w multiple coloured stones to play out all the colours of the rainbow!

And the Neptune -- WOW!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you stick around and help those others of us who don't know where to start on our opal journeys, because it looks like you have a beautiful crystal opal. I also love how similar the vendors pics are to some of your own as I hate it when vendors take photos in lower light situations or amp up saturation so as to overstate the colors. Congrats!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your lovely comments and the helpful suggestions on what to do with it! Great minds seem to think alike - I casually contacted my brother's jeweler, and he suggested a rainbow halo of sapphires :D

JewelFreak & minousbijoux, in my search, the vendors (including blackopaldirect) I've come across all seemed to use bright lights and low lit backgrounds to highlight the colours. I know opals are difficult to photograph so the opals that had videos were my best leads. If it was a serious candidate, I emailed the vendor for a simple photo in daylight and always on someone's hand. For some reason, I found it was the next best thing to my being there and holding it. And of course, triple checked the return policy! The process wasn't all that different from my sapphire hunting days (minus the videos).

Here's the youtube video of my opal: http://youtu.be/MhgpXNxbeGk
The video can be misleading if one doesn't know what to expect with crystal opals (hence the need for the outdoor photos). This opal is transparent with a tinge of grey - it isn't the dark crystal variety or a black opal as the lighting in the video may suggest, but the video is accurate on the colors that disperse IRL. I'm surprised the iPhone was able to capture so many colors. By no means is this a top top opal, but it is quite special and ideal for me in terms of colors, size, shape and budget. It's not something I saw often during my search.

And just because I thought it looked pretty, a glamour shot with the tsav I have yet to set and my new beautiful Catherine Cardellini natural grey pearl rope:
aprilzephyr_lrcrystalopal_8.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh it is so pretty!!! Love all the different rainbow flashes. Great find!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That isjust gorgeous and HUGE!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been advised by jewellers that in order to evaluate opals more accurately, have them photographed on the hand. A dark background will amp up the colour too much and just holding the gem in tweezers washes out the PoC.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is indeed why I was so impressed with the POC in her hand shots and the fact that they were very similar to the vendors pics. :))

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1367929043|3441866 said:
I've been advised by jewellers that in order to evaluate opals more accurately, have them photographed on the hand. A dark background will amp up the colour too much and just holding the gem in tweezers washes out the PoC.
Ahh, glad my method has real logic behind it!

Fi.Z said:
That isjust gorgeous and HUGE!!
:naughty: Thank you, Fi.Z! I know it's quite large, but I think I will reserve this opal for a future ring - I'd have more opportunities to look at it when it's on my hand, rather around my neck!

This is the Irene Neuwirth crystal opal ring that sparked my interest in crystal opals:
ireneneuwirthmarquisecrystalopal10k.jpg

I'm loving what contemporary jewelers Irene Neuwirth, Cathy Waterman, Andrea Fohrman & others are doing with boulder and cyrstal opals lately! Although I love the opal jewelry of the art deco era, I find the contemporary interpretations much more approachable and wearable... because after all, I doubt I'll be getting invitations to fancy black tie dinner parties anytime soon :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reading a lot of hesitation lately, feeling comfortable wearing blingy jewellery only for fancy dinners. Come on, PSers, where's the spirit? :nono: :bigsmile: Wear what you like regardless of occasion. Show it off. Strut your stuff. Feel like a queen (or king) anytime anywhere. :devil:

SirensandAngels

Rough_Rock
Very, very pretty Opal! I would set it in a simple ring setting so that the setting doesn't detract from the Opal... plus if its in a ring then you will get to look at it as you wear it!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1368015435|3442608 said:
I am reading a lot of hesitation lately, feeling comfortable wearing blingy jewellery only for fancy dinners. Come on, PSers, where's the spirit? :nono: :bigsmile: Wear what you like regardless of occasion. Show it off. Strut your stuff. Feel like a queen (or king) anytime anywhere. :devil:

:appl: This really made me laugh, Chrono :lol: Thanks for the boost in confidence!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see that you set your amazing opal. I'd like to formally request more photos here!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
My apologies, Athena - I didn't see this post until now!! The last 17 months have been a whirlwind that is my 17 month old daughter, and I haven't been able to spend much time perusing PS (though mindless Instagram jewel stalking is another matter) :lol:

Indeed, the opal has been set and so has my Tsavorite, both done by a wonderful jeweler in Sydney (he gets me!). I realize the designs aren't everyone's cup of tea (which I was reminded of when responding to a post here on PS awhile back), but I love them - they really suit me and my style and the designs appear much more subtle IRL. I wear the opal pretty much every day as a RHR and the Tsavorite as an alternate eRing to my original sapphire eRing.

The opal ring is 18k rose gold with crystal opals, emeralds, and the halo of champagne diamond melee is set in platinum.

The Tsavorite is set in 22k yellow gold (because it has yellow secondary color) with a precision cut diamond baguette and rose cut diamond melee.

I have more photos somewhere but it was difficult enough to dig the above two out from amongst the thousands of photos I have of the baby :D

Also, one more thing, I want to thank Chrono! I took your advice, Chrono. I went for the bold and blingy (and off-the-beaten-path), and am so happy that I did! I'm convinced that they go with everything from ripped denim and Vans to cocktail dresses and gowns.

aprilzephyr_opal_set.jpg

aprilzephyr_tsavorite_set.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kove how your rings turned out April! They look amazing on you. :appl:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aprilzephyr|1468554066|4055650 said:
My apologies, Athena - I didn't see this post until now!! The last 17 months have been a whirlwind that is my 17 month old daughter, and I haven't been able to spend much time perusing PS (though mindless Instagram jewel stalking is another matter) :lol:

Indeed, the opal has been set and so has my Tsavorite, both done by a wonderful jeweler in Sydney (he gets me!). I realize the designs aren't everyone's cup of tea (which I was reminded of when responding to a post here on PS awhile back), but I love them - they really suit me and my style and the designs appear much more subtle IRL. I wear the opal pretty much every day as a RHR and the Tsavorite as an alternate eRing to my original sapphire eRing.

The opal ring is 18k rose gold with crystal opals, emeralds, and the halo of champagne diamond melee is set in platinum.

The Tsavorite is set in 22k yellow gold (because it has yellow secondary color) with a precision cut diamond baguette and rose cut diamond melee.

I have more photos somewhere but it was difficult enough to dig the above two out from amongst the thousands of photos I have of the baby :D

Also, one more thing, I want to thank Chrono! I took your advice, Chrono. I went for the bold and blingy (and off-the-beaten-path), and am so happy that I did! I'm convinced that they go with everything from ripped denim and Vans to cocktail dresses and gowns.

God those are amazing!! They're totally my cup of tea.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That opal is ridiculous. I would snatch that off your hand in a heartbeat. :love:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY THAT OPAL!!!! One day I want to buy a rough piece that will make something as beautiful as that. But man, that stone is just jaw-dropping...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an Australian and an opal lover, that is indeed a very impressive gem. Opals are the most fascinating of all gems in my opinion, a real gift from nature. Stunning beautiful in their "as found state" and merely shaped and polished. Your ring design is perfect, I love the Art Deco style and it is a very grand and striking ring. Be careful not to injure yourself, I'd be walking around gazing lovingly at that ring and not looking at all where I was going!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
You guys flatter me!

I love this one, but it has also fueled a full blown obsession of finding an even grander one to add to my teeny tiny collection :D

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Here is my opal and tsavorite ring. The opal is from jason brim on FB, 14k yellow gold

_5387.jpeg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aprilzephyr|1471526048|4067290 said:
You guys flatter me!

I love this one, but it has also fueled a full blown obsession of finding an even grander one to add to my teeny tiny collection :D

Opals are sooooo addictive right?! I got myself a faceting machine a little over a week ago but haven't used it yet as I have been hooked on cutting Lightning Ridge opals :lol:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphirecats gorgeous ring!!! Please start a whole thread on it :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results