clarity

Part of Melania Trump's Speech Lifted From Michelle Obama's

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Part of Melania Trump's Speech Lifted From Michelle Obam

House Cat|1468944979|4057152 said:
Maria D|1468939344|4057103 said:
Mrs. Trump also (on her official website http://www.melaniatrump.com/my-world/biography/) claims to have earned a degree in architecture and design at "University in Slovenia" even though she dropped out after freshman year. Oh, little nit-picky details. Are they really important when you are as HOOOTTTT as Melania? :lol:

sox fan, hahaha - poor Milli Vanilli. They were of a time when faking it while looking pretty was considered shameful!
Girl you know it's true!!!

Now I have the song stuck in my head.....

Girl you know it's.......Girl you know it's.........Girl you know it's...........Girl you know it's................*runs off stage*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soxfan|1468948526|4057194 said:
Mrs. Trump also (on her official website http://www.melaniatrump.com/my-world/biography/) claims to have earned a degree in architecture and design at "University in Slovenia" even though she dropped out after freshman year. Oh, little nit-picky details. Are they really important when you are as HOOOTTTT as Melania? :lol:

sox fan, hahaha - poor Milli Vanilli. They were of a time when faking it while looking pretty was considered shameful!

Girl you know it's.......Girl you know it's.........Girl you know it's...........Girl you know it's................*runs off stage*

:::::spontaneously busts into the running man::::

Sorry... I couldn't help myself..

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1468948666|4057196 said:
soxfan|1468948526|4057194 said:

:::::spontaneously busts into the running man::::

Sorry... I couldn't help myself..

*dead* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

The great irony here is that it's a speech by Michelle Obama. If she's copied Laura Bush it would barely be news, but since it's the First Lady, whom they despise, it's very ironic and funny as heck. The fall out on Twitter is hilarious. #famousmelaniatrumpquotes

And apparently she Rickrolled everyone during her speech? Who wrote this thing? It's almost like a Never Trumper infiltrated the Trump campaign and did everything in his power to make Melania look like a fool - which is not cool.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't handle this.
It's amazing.

She had to have been trolled. Someone must have paid off the writer as they managed to get a Rick Roll in there.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1468948338|4057192 said:
It's a storm in a teapot, an excuse by many to ignore other speakers.
Plagiarism is a common charge. Biden, both Obamas, and Hillary have all been accused.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/19/melania-trump-plagiarism-hillary-biden-barack-michelle/

I didn't watch any of it. What did I miss? Did Sarah Palin speak? Now that's entertainment!

Thanks for the video link HouseCat. Boy were they great eye candy - who cares if they sang or not?

Thanks to this thread I now have way too many songs stuck in my head...never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like maybe the context is lost on some of the more conservative among us here.

Plagiarism in general is bad. Plagiarism of the speech from the same context (convention) by the same person (noms wife) is an embarrassment. Leaving alone the fact if from the Obama's, the family that ruined this country - according to the trump family

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not sure why its just conservatives here based on the posts above about many politicians and others plagiarizing. It just happens to be the news du jour and maybe as AnnaH suggested that they run this rather than the speeches laying out HRCs glaring problems. People are angry and rightly so because I, for one, do not feel this government has my back.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1468938707|4057096 said:
Let me surprise any of you who give a darn what I say: I haven't read any of the articles about this issue. I agree that it is petty. I do not care upon whose speech Melania's speech was modeled. The poor woman couldn't very well write her own speech, after all. English isn't even her first language. So someone else gave her a bum speech. (Not that Michelle Obama's speech was bad; I don't recall it. "Bum" because it was, apparently, copied.)

What I care about is electing a sociopath. I don't want to do it. So I don't want to elect Melania's husband.

AGBF

This is exactly how I feel, AGBF! I agree that she wasn't going to write her own, and whoever gave her the speech did a poor job. That is FAR less of an issue than the fact that a racist, sexist, homophobic, sociopath is trying to get elected for president!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I - for one - am kinda thankful that THIS is what is dominating the news today, and NOT another police shooting.

Perspective, not pettiness.

I did actually watch her entire speech last night just out of curiousity to see what she was all about. Party affiliation and spouse aside, I thought - for a woman who does not speak English as her first language and is not usually this "in the limelight", she spoke eloquently and appeared to demonstrate a sincere appreciation for what this country stands for and a genuine sense of pride to call herself a citizen. But that seems to be entirely lost on everyone, which is a shame considering all the discussion and focus around immigration in this campaign cycle.

I could entirely see this happening ... A speech writer listening to her ideas on what she would like to say; providing her snippets of similar statements and former speeches to review as reference as a basis to craft her speech, and a misunderstanding (language barrier?) of those being written by a speech writer vs verbatim from other speeches. Yea, it should have been checked, but damn, if this is the WORST she does, I'd give her a pass. We have WAY bigger problems facing this country than lifting 40 or so words from an 8 year old speech.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1468937366|4057090 said:
I didn't watch the speech, but I saw bits and pieces from it. In regards to the speech, I think that both parties will nit-pick at pretty much everything, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I guess that I'm just at the point where I'm tuning it all out in an effort to protect my sanity :D

without a doubt, both parties are chomping at the bit to nit-pick. A big part of the game today, unfortunately.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1468957309|4057274 said:
I - for one - am kinda thankful that THIS is what is dominating the news today, and NOT another police shooting.

I did actually watch her entire speech last night just out of curiousity to see what she was all about. Party affiliation and spouse aside, I thought - for a woman who does not speak English as her first language and is not usually this "in the limelight", she spoke eloquently and appeared to demonstrate a sincere appreciation for what this country stands for and a genuine sense of pride to call herself a citizen. But that seems to be entirely lost on everyone, which is a shame considering all the discussion and focus around immigration in this campaign cycle.

I could entirely see this happening ... A speech writer listening to her ideas on what she would like to say; providing her snippets of similar statements and former speeches to review as reference as a basis to craft her speech, and a misunderstanding (language barrier?) of those being written by a speech writer vs verbatim from other speeches. Yea, it should have been checked, but damn, if this is the WORST she does, I'd give her a pass. We have WAY bigger problems facing this country than lifting 40 or so words from an 8 year old speech.

None of this matters to the 24hr news cycle and its pettiness - especially MSM. I have been watching the convention on C-span because I do not want pundits and cutaways because they think a speaker is not interesting or newsworthy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amen to that.

I agree - and I feel terrible for Meliana that she got caught up in this. Setting aside for a moment the Donald's assertion that his wife urged him to run for president - she was sort of force into the limelight in this campaign. Most presidential candidates are long-time politicians, and their spouses have had the opportunity to learn and adjust to the candidate-spouse role. Meliana has not had that preparation.

Personally I think the bigger issue is how the Trump camp and their spokesmen and surrogates have dealt with this issue. Denial and even trying to somehow ( :confused: :confused: :confused: ) blame the other candidate are not the mature responses one would expect of someone who could be our next president.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"An error like the one Melania Trump committed last night tells us that the Trump campaign lacks seriousness and structure, which is also demonstrated by its divisive style, weak ground game and poor fundraising numbers."

A perfect quote from G.W. Bush's speech writer.

I wonder what the reaction would be if the tables were turned... How Trump would be reacting if it were Bill Clinton who had plagiarized a speech.

I wonder how the conservatives on this forum would behave...

I wonder how much grace would be extended to the Clintons.....?

We'll never know....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/19/what-george-w-bushs-chief-speechwriter-thinks-of-the-melania-trump-mess/?tid=sm_fb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I would care just as little if Bill Clinton took general personal ideals from Barbara or Laura Bush. Actually come to think of it, that might be a good thing. :lol: :D :lol: :D

ETA - Or Laura Bush.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66|1468968210|4057340 said:
I think I would care just as little if Bill Clinton took general personal ideals from Barbara Bush. Actually come to think of it, that might be a good thing. :lol: :D :lol: :D
:lol:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66|1468940757|4057112 said:
Tekate|1468940217|4057107 said:
Clinton never lied on national security

We'll agree to disagree on this for sure.

Did anyone watch the whole speech or just bits shown by the media?

I watched the speech live. Later as the crawler was moving at the bottom of the screen, I saw the accusation. I went online and checked it out. The sad part was, as I watched early Tue morning , the campaign chairman appeared on tv and said there was no issue with the "cribbed" portions. He even blamed Clinton! Why can't Trump admit, ever, that a mistake was made?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1468970152|4057346 said:

I watched the speech live. Later as the crawler was moving at the bottom of the screen, I saw the accusation. I went online and checked it out. The sad part was, as I watched early Tue morning , the campaign chairman appeared on tv and said there was no issue with the "cribbed" portions. He even blamed Clinton! Why can't Trump admit, ever, that a mistake was made?

Narcissism would be my guess. They were also probably floored that someone let this happen. I feel sorry for Melania the most because it was genuine on her part. I am no Trump fan but a bigger no Hillary no way.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66|1468970286|4057347 said:

Narcissism would be my guess. They were also probably floored that someone let this happen. I feel sorry for Melania the most because it was genuine on her part. I am no Trump fan but a bigger no Hillary no way.

I am on the other side. I'm not a big fan of Hillary but find Trump and his childish bullying behavior unacceptable. I've always thought he was a blowhard and his biggest fan. I am shocked by the awful things that he has said. He has pandered to the racism that is the underbelly of our country. In my opinion, he has ripped our country apart and I do not know how long it will take us to recover. It makes me sad to see all the finger pointing, it is "their" fault, insert Black, Hispanic, Muslim.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1468971506|4057354 said:

I am on the other side. I'm not a big fan of Hillary but find Trump and his childish bullying behavior unacceptable. I've always thought he was a blowhard and his biggest fan. I am shocked by the awful things that he has said. He has pandered to the racism that is the underbelly of our country. In my opinion, he has ripped our country apart and I do not know how long it will take us to recover. It makes me sad to see all the finger pointing, it is "their" fault, insert Black, Hispanic, Muslim.

I totally understand those views of him. I just cannot allow Hillary to be able to place SCOTUS justices that are completely against my core beliefs. But since I live in one of the most Republican states in the union it won't matter if I stay home.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel polar opposite, we cannot let Trump decide the supreme court, this is absolutely scary to me. I like Merrick Garland very much, I feel he's a jurist, abides by the law and would have been thoughtful. I think that the congress in not vetting him is vindictive and unAmerican.

I live in a state that is purple and turning blue so whatever happens, I feel pretty confident my values will continue.

We have a while to go and time will tell which candidate will screw up enough to not get elected.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66|1468971863|4057359 said:
NonieMarie|1468971506|4057354 said:

I totally understand those views of him. I just cannot allow Hillary to be able to place SCOTUS justices that are completely against my core beliefs. But since I live in one of the most Republican states in the union it won't matter if I stay home.

Unless you are super right wing conservative, I don't think you need to worry. I believe Clinton is more moderate than she is portrayed. Anyone that she would nominate would have to be approved by Congress. I am somewhat liberal and it frightens me that my values would not be represented, too. I've always thought that the perfect SCOTUS make up would be 2 far right, 2 far left and 5 moderates. I think that would be a better representation of the country.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

Tekate|1468972480|4057366 said:
I feel polar opposite, we cannot let Trump decide the supreme court, this is absolutely scary to me. I like Merrick Garland very much, I feel he's a jurist, abides by the law and would have been thoughtful. I think that the congress in not vetting him is vindictive and unAmerican.

I live in a state that is purple and turning blue so whatever happens, I feel pretty confident my values will continue.

We have a while to go and time will tell which candidate will screw up enough to not get elected.

So true

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie|1468972728|4057372 said:
Unless you are super right wing conservative, I don't think you need to worry. I believe Clinton is more moderate than she is portrayed. Anyone that she would nominate would have to be approved by Congress. I am somewhat liberal and it frightens me that my values would not be represented, too. I've always thought that the perfect SCOTUS make up would be 2 far right, 2 far left and 5 moderates. I think that would be a better representation of the country.

I thought that she was more moderate also until this latest election cycle. I actually was hoping she would win the nomination in 2008 because if Romney lost it would not be so bad. Things have gotten bad and I am not sure any of them speak for me any longer. Its all too wrapped up in cronyism on both sides. Most of them, I feel, are people who could not hold down real jobs in the real world like the rest of us.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate|1468972480|4057366 said:

I have looked at Garland's record and we could do much worse. It is Congress acting like babies and "we'll show you." Its all crap and there is not one thing I can do about it but make my voice heard and vote. I do communicate with my Rep. on issues though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1468973029|4057377 said:
Most of them, I feel, are people who could not hold down real jobs in the real world like the rest of us.

Well, Donald Trump certainly could not hold a job. Holding a job requires taking some guff. And Donald Trump wouldn't recognize his boss even if his boss were wearing a T-shirt with a huge letter "B" on it. He thinks he knows everything and has a right to everything.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thing that I find so sad about this plagiarism thing is that it's so utterly pointless. Sure, some people are going to draw comparisons between her prior first ladies. They might question her intellect (apparently she also lied about having a college degree) and there will be memes using some of the racier photos from her modelling days. But - SO WHAT? She's not running for President or anything else for that matter. I'm sure she'll be a fantastic hostess if she gets to be FL, and she might even adopt a worthwhile first lady project. There's nothing to gain and everything to lose by plagiarizing and lying.

The thing about being FL is that she gets to define she'll get to define that role in pretty much any way that she wants to define it. Add the fact that it's so easy to check the truth in something like this... the whole thing baffling. Personally I think it's just more evidence that the Trump campaign is more about his ego than anything else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results