shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about Naperville/Chicago, IL areas....

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1399442917|3667717 said:
You will get one heck of a house in naperville for $700,000!!!!

Why is everyone saying the commute to Chicago is bad??? I can get to midway by car in 35 min, ohare in half hour, downtown in less than an hour, by train 35 mins. My husband commuted to Schaumburg for three years. During peak rush, yes it's hard but go right before or after and it's 35-40 min up 355.

I also recommend Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. High rated schools and lovely homes.

School districts: New Trier, Naperville 203 (not 204), Wheaton, Hinsdale, Glenbard North.

Because what might be considered a "bad" commute varies by personal opinion. Personally, I would consider an hour commute each way to be a bad commute, especially if that was dealing with traffic (too much stress). Again, some folks might not mind being in a car two hours each day, but others would.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The commute, among other things, is one of the reasons I suggest that relocators rent for a year and see what they can and can't live with. An hour on a Chicago highway can turn into 1-1/2 to 2 hours on many occassions, especially during "construction season," which seems to last the entire six month period that it's above freezing.

Several people on the forum have mentioned train commutes; that's certainly an option for some people, but other people HATE the train. I had a guy move his family out of Hinsdale (a really lovely suburb) and back into Lakeview becuase he hated riding the train in and after abandoning Metra and spending a couple of weeks on the highway in bumper-to-bumper he sold the house he had just bought and came back. (I'm not saying downtown is the right answer either, just giving an example of how one of my clients felt about the commute situation.)

Also, in terms of stuff to *do*, some people prefer to be more away from a downtown area (even a "little" downtown like some of the 'burbs have with a main street with restaurants and shops) and some people like to be in walking distance to things like that, so that will impact your choice of 'burb.

There are so many factors that go into a major move...

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you thank you! This thread is giving me much to consider. And just to add confusion to the mix, DH is flying to CA next week to interview at a company that would require a relocation to San Fran, CA, if he gets an offer. So we're back in limbo. And just to add to it- I don't want to move at all. :blackeye: But these two opportunities are huge for DH's career. The IL offer came in so we'll see what happens next week.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohh, San Fran would be so much fun! I used to live in the city of Chicago (Wrigleyville--Lakeview), and we later moved to Bartlett for a couple of years. Bartlett was a nice distance from both Naperville and Schaumburg (Woodfield mall!), but it was a real pain to get to the city. And we loved going back to the city. Wheaton seemed to be a nice area with a quaint downtown and easy access back to downtown.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what happened????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results