carat
color
clarity

Matata's Backyard Makeover

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread!

What a beautiful rose you picked out, Matata!

Things are rolling right along.

I really enjoyed the pic of Bob & Son, the height differential and I love me some red hair!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Work continues today after the holiday break. There's a huge truck in front of the house blowing tons of dirt into the greenhouse base and planting beds. Bob & crew are starting to assemble the greenhouse -- a kit with a gazillion pieces and confusing instructions. Fuzzy pic is torn from a magazine Bob was reading and is the idea for the 2nd water feature. This one will gently cascade over rocks as opposed to the waterfall which will drop over 3 levels.

7-6-2014_truck_full_of_dirt.jpg

7-6-2016_bob_s_2nd_water_idea.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ermagherd - this is SOooo cool!!! I might not consistently reply, but always remember, I PUFFY HEART :love: :love: :love: this project and get so excited with every new update!!!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this project more and more whenever you post more details!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They got part of the greenhouse frame up today. Geez, there's a gazillion pieces to this thing, most of it is still in boxes. I took a look at the directions and headed for the vodka bottle. No way would I be able to figure it out.

frame_2.jpg

_37723.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so exciting!! :appl:

But, but, how can you spend money on something that is non-jewelry? Be honest...have you daydreamed about the piece of bling you could buy with your makeover money? :Up_to_something:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1467860045|4052372 said:
Be honest...have you daydreamed about the piece of bling you could buy with your makeover money? :Up_to_something:
Oh heck yeah. I could have my holy grail diamond or colored stone for the cost of this makeover. But, the garden will bring a different kind of enjoyment in a different way and I'm ready for that at this stage of my life. I keep thinking of all the jewel toned flowers I'll be able to enjoy, all the scents, all the texture, the soothing water and hum and buzz of insects, delightful notes from birdsong and it appeals to me in a homey, huggable, oasis-from-the-world way that a diamond or gemstone can't.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1467866226|4052426 said:
Be honest...have you daydreamed about the piece of bling you could buy with your makeover money? :Up_to_something:
Oh heck yeah. I could have my holy grail diamond or colored stone for the cost of this makeover. But, the garden will bring a different kind of enjoyment in a different way and I'm ready for that at this stage of my life. I keep thinking of all the jewel toned flowers I'll be able to enjoy, all the scents, all the texture, the soothing water and hum and buzz of insects, delightful notes from birdsong and it appeals to me in a homey, huggable, oasis-from-the-world way that a diamond or gemstone can't.

How exciting Matata!!!!! I can hardly wait to see the finished yard. I completely understand how this is going to make your feel when it is finished and the years of joy this will bring you.

Every year I think about what jewelry I could buy with the money we put into landscaping but it never ever stops me from landscaping. Looking over my backyard when everything is blooming is my favorite place to be. So peaceful.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Exactly, Matata!

The sights and sounds of the wildlife, water and flowers will bring such an incredible feeling! Every time I check back here for updates, I imagine the tranquility you'll feel when you're out in your yard. Unless, of course, your kids (Atticus, et al) decide to add some excitement to your life. :lol:

So looking forward to the final product!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1467944373|4052842 said:
Every time I check back here for updates, I imagine the tranquility you'll feel when you're out in your yard. Unless, of course, your kids (Atticus, et al) decide to add some excitement to your life. :lol:
The fur brigade is staying in the catio and won't be munching their way through my garden. I'll grow them some catmint to take the sting out of their imprisonment.

Since you mentioned Atticus, while the humans were still asleep this morning, he decided to turn the catio into a water theme park by dragging his tube into the pool and gleefully running through it. We woke up to a million wet feetie prints all through the house. We are beyond grateful that he didn't decide to drag the sopping wet tunnel into bed with us.

7-7-2016_waterslide.jpg

7-7-2016_waterslide_2.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my God, Matata! That's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those tubes are great, and I love the colours on the one Atticus has! He's a pampered guy!

I got a tube for my daughter's cats, and they think its the greatest. It has an opening, so its perfect for a cat to sit up straight with her head out to survey her empire. It also crinkles and has lights. I recently got a tube for someone else's new kitten. I couldn't find another long tube, and had to buy a shorter version (roughly three feet or so). The kitten loves it! She can hit it with her paw and send it rolling across the floor.

By the way, I think I've told you think before, but your lads are incredibly handsome.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The simple to clip in panels on the greenhouse weren't all that simple and work was slowed due to a couple days of rain. All greenhouse panels are in except for the doors.

grnh_1.jpg

grh_2.jpg

grnh_3.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree! Bling is lovely, but a backyard makeover is just another form of enjoyment. I spend quite a bit of time in my yard (gardening, weeding, etc.) and I find it very relaxing =)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The small water feature is partially finished and partially planted with trailing jasmine, nandina, and rhododendron. It still sits on a hillock which will be leveled out a bit and planted with sedums and other stuff. Right now I'm enjoying the soothing sound of water caressing rocks. Woooohaaaaa!

wf_5.jpg

wf_7.jpg

wf_8.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow powwow!!!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at that greenhouse going up!!!! :appl: :dance: :appl:

Thank you for the pics and Atticus update. I love seeing him and hearing of all your boys' goings on!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided against using a boxwood hedge for the parterre border to cut down on maintenance. I know I'll suck at precision trimming. Decided to go with steel instead. They started constructing the parterre planting beds today, in 95+ degree heat, bending hot metal.

_37792.jpg

p_2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great progress photos Matata, this is more exciting than the bling threads.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got some rocks to show ya'll. Faceted by mother nature. This morning they brought a sample of the lava rock that will line the garden paths. It's formed when the molten lava is thrown into the air and cools as it falls. They're called lava bombs here in the Pacific Northwest. I love the texture and am delighted to have these home grown elements in the garden.

r_1.jpg

r_2_texture.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parterre has been planted with the evergreen boxwoods and zelkova tree. It's starting to look like a garden! The little variegated boxwoods at each end of the boxes will be trained into little balls and the tall forms in the center will have a poodle cut.

7-15-2016_parterre_plants.jpg

7-15-2016_parterre_plants_2.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata,

I love watching the progress of your garden!

I really like the shape of the steel in the parterre. Personally, I find the addition of metal in a garden adds interest.

Thanks for continuing to update us.

Your garden is coming along beautifully! :dance:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW!!!! I love everything!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's really coming together beautifully! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be so beautiful!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
It's looking great. So you're in the middle of the state? Love your green house! You could buy big geodes and put them in the backyard with floodlights on them. that's my plan. The big ones that stand 4 or 5 feet tall. What breed is Atticus? He's gorgeous. There is a new website Called houzz.com. Like Pinterest, but for housing stuff

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen|1468804758|4056543 said:
It's looking great. So you're in the middle of the state? Love your green house! You could buy big geodes and put them in the backyard with floodlights on them. that's my plan. The big ones that stand 4 or 5 feet tall. What breed is Atticus? He's gorgeous. There is a new website Called houzz.com. Like Pinterest, but for housing stuff

I'm in the southern part of the state. Atticus is a Savannah cat.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the last pictures until we get back from vacay in 3 wks. The lava rock defining the planting beds and paths is laid and most of the dirt was blown in today although there are still 2 large areas needing dirt. I'm going to miss all the fun of the waterfall being built and plants planted. The garden will be nearly finished by the time we get home. The house sitter gets all the fun.

beds_1.jpg

beds_2.jpg

beds_3_shade.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pic better shows the plant beds by the patio which will contain shade plants and the location of the waterfall by the white pipe and between the trees.

beds_4.jpg

beds_5.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata,

Thanks for the update! Your yard looks great!

Boy, I'd find it hard to leave for three weeks and not watch the daily progress. However, it will be very exciting to return home and see all the changes.

Perhaps your house sitter could take a few progress shots for you.

Have a wonderful vacation!

:wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1468980303|4057427 said:
Perhaps your house sitter could take a few progress shots for you.
Have a wonderful vacation!

Thanks december-fire. I've asked the house sitter to take pics while I'm gone. I wish we could wait till I get back to do the planting but we want to be sure that all the new plants have plenty of time to grow strong roots before fall. I can start planting some fall/winter crops in the greenhouse when I get back and I'm looking forward to that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results