shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Asscher

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock
Re: Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Assche

And a BGD three stone bezel (I would choose step cut sides)...
image_927.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here is an option for you. It's a halo. Would have to be modified for the octavia. But it is both modern and sleek and give you the size boost you want:
This actually was one of my top contenders for a halo for my asscher.

ba029585cfda7c9c44f70ab688c8a63e.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I just posted a picture in a similar style to Gypsy's post in another thread. Here it is, in case it helps to see the effect in a picture of a ring rather than a design format. This one doesn't keep the octagonal profile of the asscher nearly as well as Gypsy's design, and I think you said that's something you want to really emphasize, but at least gives an idea of what it could look like.

baguettes_and_rounds_0.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1467950095|4052876 said:
Niel|1467939030|4052815 said:
I'm still inclined to say do a halo.

This is a beautiful,but not overly large stone.

I'd do a yellow gold bright set halo.

I actually don't know what a "bright set" halo is, but I'll look at some images.

The style of halo I already shared, the pone with the pear. Notice how it has the metal "ribbon" on the outside if the pave. This is different than other types of pave as it eventuates the shape of the center stone

Like this example
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/signed-pieces/1-38ct-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-k-vvs1-halo-by-steven-kirsch#.V3-TA8spBnE

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1467969931|4052951 said:
Here is an option for you. It's a halo. Would have to be modified for the octavia. But it is both modern and sleek and give you the size boost you want:
This actually was one of my top contenders for a halo for my asscher.
Thank you, Gypsy! I really like that! The halo format of mixing rounds and baguettes is really intriguing.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

lissyflo|1467973687|4052964 said:
I just posted a picture in a similar style to Gypsy's post in another thread. Here it is, in case it helps to see the effect in a picture of a ring rather than a design format. This one doesn't keep the octagonal profile of the asscher nearly as well as Gypsy's design, and I think you said that's something you want to really emphasize, but at least gives an idea of what it could look like.

Another really cool halo with both rounds and baguettes. I'm fascinated by that. Thank you!

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

Currently I'm very smitten with this design, which shows a very octagonal Leon Megé asscher and bullets. For some reason I have a deep attraction to bullets. I'm not sure why as I don't think I've ever seen any in real life. I like a pointy shield, too. Anything that draws the eye down the narrow band.

image_941.jpg

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

The above prototype was a little out of my price range...those darned gorgeous bullets are expensive. Then Elaine did a little photoshop magic on a setting DBL has produced before, with baguette "step" sides bezel set to look both vintage and modern. This setting is more affordable and would still give the Octavia a little more finger coverage. The center stone would be set with fine, wire, pointy prongs.

What do you guys think?
image_944.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1468345214|4054785 said:
The above prototype was a little out of my price range...those darned gorgeous bullets are expensive. Then Elaine did a little photoshop magic on a setting DBL has produced before, with baguette "step" sides bezel set to look both vintage and modern. This setting is more affordable and would still give the Octavia a little more finger coverage. The center stone would be set with fine, wire, pointy prongs.

What do you guys think?
image_944.jpg

Personally?
I don't like combining those step cuts with the more lively faceting of the center stone

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just so you can visualize, Victor did that setting with an EC recently. I am not so sure that is going to work very well with a small asscher. though, especially since your corners are probably wider than the mockup you posted. That means the side bezels would be smaller.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/emerald-and-baguette-stepped-five-stone-ring

Here are a couple more ideas.

2016-03-28_12.jpg

2016-03-28_2.jpg

_37776.jpg

_37777.jpg

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

DS, I like that last one you posted, of the different shaped, step cut side stones.

I do get that baguettes are not very "active" in nature and maybe a little dry.

Just as an FYI, the mock-up above is my actual stone.

And just to make us all ;( , here's a picture of the Octavia with bullets. It would've been glorious, but in truth, such a costly setting for such a modest center stone didn't make sense to do, especially knowing that five years from now, I'll be back here whining over my Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome, looking for an upgrade!

image_945.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those bullets are huge

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

If I could add......
The mock up pic with vertical baguette side diamonds is all about concept, and not at all about light performance.
Since the pictures are taken under different ;lighting environments, they vertical bags tend to look less sparkly than Octavia.
They likely will be- but not in a drastic way.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

Niel|1468353681|4054843 said:
Those bullets are huge

Hi Niel, those bullets are 0.30ct each, though I don't know the exact dimensions. The flat end does meet up exactly with the Octavia sides (it's just hard to tell because they're all laying flat together).

Another option is a step cut trilliant after all, which would have longer sides to match up to the O but still be shorter in total length than a bullet. I doubt it would be much of a savings, though, in terms of cost.

The purpose of the side baggies would be to reinforce that geometric look I like (kind of Art Deco-y), as well as give a bit more spread.

David, if you and Elaine have other sides much more modest than the bullets, more consistent with the pedestrian baguettes (smile), I'm totally open. As it stands, it looks like the step baguettes add an additional...4-5mm...of extra width?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Niel said:
Those bullets are huge
I totally appreciate this discussion!
My instinct is to pick a pair that's "full"- taking up the full length of the facet to which they are adjacent. They measure 4.9 x 3.3
This pair does match the length of Octavia's side facet, but I wasn't thinking it might look better with a smaller pair.
It's actually possible to start with a "normal" pair of tapered baguettes in a smaller size, and have a cutter cut them into bullets.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The example from Leon merge has bullets shorter than the strait edge of the asscher.
I know you COULD have then the full length of the Octavia sides but I'm just not so sure you should not swallows that stone up.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

+1 Neil- you're correct. Looking at the picture, the proportions are as you say- where the sides take up about 60% of the side of the center diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1468346944|4054797 said:
Just so you can visualize, Victor did that setting with an EC recently. I am not so sure that is going to work very well with a small asscher. though, especially since your corners are probably wider than the mockup you posted. That means the side bezels would be smaller.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/emerald-and-baguette-stepped-five-stone-ring

There is a Beverly K setting that is VERY similar to this. For probably 1/5 of the cost of the Victor version:
2016-03-28_12.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1468369885|4054930 said:
diamondseeker2006|1468346944|4054797 said:

There is a Beverly K setting that is VERY similar to this. For probably 1/5 of the cost of the Victor version:
2016-03-28_12.jpg

That's not by Victor. The one by Victor was in the link. I believe that setting pictured was from Lang. It would have to be custom made by someone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amelie, I also like the proportions of these stones with the center. I feel like the bezel baguettes and the bullets in the photos above are too big for your stone.

You said you liked this one below. I think it has great proportions and very small sides in comparison to the ones above.

_37778.jpg

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

if the bullets are too big, they look like "wings" imo... personally i don't like that look...

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

For bullets I strongly prefer the adjacent edge to be ~35-45% of the center stone full length. That LM ring is the absolute largest I'd go with bullets, ratio-wise. And I like a small, subtle bullet sidestone even better. For a 1ct center I'd be looking in the 15ish point range.

You may need to have bullets custom cut from baguettes- I did, to get a close enough color match with my J center stone - apparently they can be hard to find in lower colors - but at least you are only paying for 2 custom cut stones, rather than 8-12 like in the baguette halos. Hopefully they have gotten easier to source in the last 6 years!

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1468370926|4054943 said:
Amelie, I also like the proportions of these stones with the center. I feel like the bezel baguettes and the bullets in the photos above are too big for your stone.

You said you liked this one below. I think it has great proportions and very small sides in comparison to the ones above.

I DO like this, and the milgrain, MUCHO!

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

FightGravity|1468372729|4054964 said:
For bullets I strongly prefer the adjacent edge to be ~35-45% of the center stone full length. That LM ring is the absolute largest I'd go with bullets, ratio-wise. And I like a small, subtle bullet sidestone even better. For a 1ct center I'd be looking in the 15ish point range.

You may need to have bullets custom cut from baguettes- I did, to get a close enough color match with my J center stone - apparently they can be hard to find in lower colors - but at least you are only paying for 2 custom cut stones, rather than 8-12 like in the baguette halos. Hopefully they have gotten easier to source in the last 6 years!

This is all really good to know! Bullets half the size may be a lot less expensive...unless they have to be cut.

FG, are you referring to the bullets as side stones in your avatar picture? I really like your baguette eternity band. One if my clients wire one and I was really surprised at how sparkly it was.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

acebruin|1468371141|4054947 said:
if the bullets are too big, they look like "wings" imo... personally i don't like that look...

Acebruin, you have an amazing pink diamond halo around your asscher. I love it.

I'm fascinated by the difference in opinions between people who like to mix brilliant cuts and step cuts, and those who don't.

Here's a thought about the Octavia: it's more brilliant than a traditional step, but more steppy than an RBC. That makes me think it could swing both ways with respect to other stones in the same setting.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I recently received a bezel set halo ring from DBL and the halo is thin and very well executed. The diamond is very sparkly and bright as well. I wouldn't throw out a vendor based on one bad bezel that was made years ago.

I like the trillion side stones with the octavia, but I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my ring with trillion side stones. The shape is very pretty, but the trillions don't have much sparkle and look a bit dead next to the center stone. I tried to figure out if this was just because mine are junky or if it is just the way trillions are but I didn't get an answer to that question. So, I'm not sure, but it is something you might want to keep in mind.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for this stone! I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure you'll design something stunning.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BeekeeperBetty|1468424229|4055112 said:
I recently received a bezel set halo ring from DBL and the halo is thin and very well executed. The diamond is very sparkly and bright as well. I wouldn't throw out a vendor based on one bad bezel that was made years ago.

I like the trillion side stones with the octavia, but I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my ring with trillion side stones. The shape is very pretty, but the trillions don't have much sparkle and look a bit dead next to the center stone. I tried to figure out if this was just because mine are junky or if it is just the way trillions are but I didn't get an answer to that question. So, I'm not sure, but it is something you might want to keep in mind.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for this stone! I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure you'll design something stunning.

Are you talking about your oval ring? Did you ever do an overhall? I just looked at it (the old version, not sure if there is a new
version) and I'm wondering if the trillions are at too much of a slant to show them off? They are also set way below your oval
and I dont think that helps either. I think if the trillions were just a little below that it would be easier to have them all
look their best at one time...this is all just speculation but it makes me curious.

Sorry for the threadjack amelie!

BTW, I really love the Leon ring. I think yours would look perfect with smaller bullets!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BeekeeperBetty|1468424229|4055112 said:

Did you post a thread? I'd love to see it! We need new threads with pictures of the good ones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1468422629|4055097 said:
acebruin|1468371141|4054947 said:

Acebruin, you have an amazing pink diamond halo around your asscher. I love it.

I'm fascinated by the difference in opinions between people who like to mix brilliant cuts and step cuts, and those who don't.

Here's a thought about the Octavia: it's more brilliant than a traditional step, but more steppy than an RBC. That makes me think it could swing both ways with respect to other stones in the same setting.

He isn't arguing that step cuts and brilliant cuts shouldn't be mixed, I think he's just saying those bullets are entirely too large

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I plan on posting to the SMTB section when I have some free time. We've had a steady stream of visitors this summer since we live in a popular tourist destination, so I have been too busy lately. On the positive side, it it one of the most comfortable rings I have ever put on. I have worn the stuffings out of it at various theme parks, zoos, museums and so forth since I got it, and it's held up great, too.

I haven't done anything with my engagement ring as of yet. I can't decide if I want to or not. On the one hand, the setting kind of blows. On the other, I've had it for 18 years and feel very attached. I'm going to waffle for a while.

Back to the octavia, I've been thinking more about it, and I think I like the setting with the baguettes and bullets the best. It's very elegant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results