shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the history behind wearing the E-ring on..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your fourth finger? who came up with that idea? why not the other 4 fingers? ... :bigsmile:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think this was the reason behind it:

Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein ran directly from the fourth finger on the left hand to the heart. Because of the hand–heart connection, they chose the descriptive name vena amoris, Latin for the vein of love, for this particular vein.
Ring finger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1

So why do Asian countries wear theirs on the opposite hand?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Polished|1468139556|4053908 said:
I think this was the reason behind it:

Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein ran directly from the fourth finger on the left hand to the heart. Because of the hand–heart connection, they chose the descriptive name vena amoris, Latin for the vein of love, for this particular vein.
Ring finger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was always my belief, too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1468183746|4054074 said:
+1

Good Q...I did asked a few Chinese women but they never gave me an answer... :confused:

P

PierreBear

AprilBaby|1468183746|4054074 said:
+1

Not sure but as an Asian American growing up in the states, I found that the older generation tended not to wear any rings at all. Curious to hear the response though from others!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Germans also wear their rings on the right hand? I also read that somewhere in Europe, the woman wears an engagement ring on her left hand but when they get married she switches it to her right hand and wears the wedding ring on the left, so different rings for each finger. I can't remember if this is Germany or somewhere else in Europe. But anyway, I'm pretty sure the Germans do it differently from our way, ie wedding and engagement ring on third finger of left hand. I also had an idea that eastern European countries do it somewhat differently from us, too.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Interestingly, I went to a Reform Jewish wedding last night, and the rabbi had them put rings on the right index finger for the vows, saying that it was the old belief that that blood vessel was the one that went straight to the heart!
Meawhile, my Gourmet magazine Viennese cookbook says the wedding ring itself is worn on the left hand during the engagement, then switched to the right hand once the couple marries.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results