shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was this http://www.revisionskincare.com/intellishade-original I used the matte version b/c they told me if you're prone to breaking out it was better than the original and would also help keep my skin less greasy. I liked that it had tint to it so it made my skin not so crazy red.

We'll be fishing in the boat, so not super active or anything, but I'm not sure how the weather will be, temp wise..for all I know it will be 100 and humid and sucky all week. Or it could be 80 and breezy-who knows ha! I will have a hat on.

I had one that was..Coppertone Faces or something. That seemed to be ok but after a while I'm not sure how long I've had the sunscreens so I just toss them and start over. We ended up using mom's No-Ad sunscreen last year. I don't remember what other kinds I had w/us. They all were on the "shit list" tho so we don't have any now!

I will look those other kinds up and see if I can get them here before we leave. I'd need to have them here by Friday b/c we leave at the crack of dawn Saturday.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want the Elta MD, but there's no place near me that sells it. Their website states Amazon isn't an authorized retailer so I'm not sure I want to chance buying from there. I can maybe swing to the Sephora an hour away and get the Algenist.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I hope it works for you! While you're at Sephora, you may want to pick up a sunscreen that is physical-only as well, just in case. Ask for "mineral" or "physical". I use the MD SolarSciences Mineral Creme SPF 50. I do get it from Sephora, but just to note for some reason one of my local stores carries it, and the other doesn't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1467068699|4048995 said:
packrat|1467060538|4048949 said:
Ohhh random quick question. We're going on vacation Saturday for a week and will be outside on water most of the day. I have a GAWD awful hat and will do what I can w/long sleeves and pants, but still, when I need to not be completely covered and sweltering, we need sunscreen. I need something that hopefully will be gentle on my face-I'd gotten some lotion that was tinted w/a 50 spf, but it makes my face break out like crazy so I got rid of it. And I got it from the skin place where I went to get those peels-Revision it's called. I've looked at this kind called Sun Bum or something, when we're at Scheel's. I looked at a list of the worst sunscreens last year after we got back from vacation, and all the ones I had were on that dang list and I tossed them.

Elta MD is one of my all-time favorite sunscreens. The UV Clear version is made specifically for skin types that are prone to acne. They make a tinted version, which I wear almost daily (it's SPF 46). Two of my other favorites are Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 and SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 (tinted). I wear them daily, to the pool, at the beach, doing sweaty yard work, etc. so just because a sunscreen might be tinted, doesn't necessarily mean that it's not an actual SPF product (as opposed to a beauty product/moisturizer with SPF)

I use COTZ for my face and have no adverse reactions and it is easy to get. You can get in 1-3 days from drugstore.com or dermstore.com

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Face+For+Lighter+Skin+Tones+SPF+40_46376.htm

http://www.drugstore.com/cotz-face-sunscreen-for-lighter-skin-tones-spf-40/qxp252262?catid=360844

I use the one that is translucent since my skin is so pale but they also have one with a slight tint for slightly darker complexions.

Hope you find a sunscreen that is works well for you packrat.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat,
I second everything Yanaazul wrote. Give the physical sunscreen a shot; it was the only sunscreen that seems to work for me, plus I had to search high and low for an alcohol free version too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers|1467041308|4048789 said:
Chrono, do you like the drunk elephant?
I'm not sure whether it is doing much, so I am awaiting the arrival of my Melano CC intensive anti-spot essence to see whether I get better PIH reduction results with it. At least my skin doesn't have a bad reaction to the DE C serum.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1467085836|4049074 said:
I want the Elta MD, but there's no place near me that sells it. Their website states Amazon isn't an authorized retailer so I'm not sure I want to chance buying from there. I can maybe swing to the Sephora an hour away and get the Algenist.

I just wanted to mention that I don't have acne-prone skin, so my recommendations were just based on personal preferences. I use the Elta MD UV Clear not because of acne, but because it also helps with brown spots (and because it just feels really good on my skin).
Neutrogena makes a Sport Face Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF70 that's sweat resistant and is not supposed to clog pores (water resistant for 80 min). It is a chemical sunscreen. I've got a couple of family members with sensitive and/or break-out prone skin that have used it with no issues. Finding the right sunscreen can be difficult because what might work for one, may not for another. I mentioned the Neutrogena because it might be an easy one for you to find. Good luck!

P

PierreBear

I just wanted to echo the other comments on here. I do a lot of outdoor activities and have used Neutrogena Sports 70 for at least 5 years now. Works great and doesn't "drip off" and give that white appearance. You can still feel the sunscreen just a bit but I don't mind it if I know I'm going outdoors to sweat.

However, on a daily morning basis, I also use an Algenist suncreen. It's a wet application but feels dry after it is absorbed in the skin. I do not feel like I'm wearing anything and started to apply it before putting on makeup. Wish I started doing this earlier as I probably could have saved myself from more wrinkles down the line.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
what does physical sunscreen mean? I don't know if I'm going to make it to Sephora or not. I'm going to try tomorrow or Thursday. I wish I'd thought of sunscreen earlier, I could've gotten it already argh.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Physical sunscreens contain active mineral ingredients, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, which work by sitting on top of the skin to deflect and scatter damaging UV rays away from the skin. They are often referred to as physical blockers. I prefer a waterproof version so that it doesn't rub off or drip when I sweat.

Pros of physical sunscreens:

Offers protection against both UVA and UVB rays and is naturally broad spectrum
Protects from the sun as soon as it’s applied, no wait time needed
Lasts longer when in direct UV light (but NOT when doing physical activities that cause the skin to get wet or sweat)
Less likely to cause a stinging irritation on the skin, making it better for sensitive skin
Better for those with heat-activated skin (like those with rosacea and redness) since it deflects the heat and energy given off by the sun away from the skin
Less likely to be pore-clogging, making it ideal for blemish-prone skin types
Longer shelf life

Cons of physical sunscreens:

Can rub off, sweat off and rinse off easily, meaning more frequent reapplication when outdoors is needed
May leave a white-ish cast on the skin, making some formulas incompatible for medium to dark skin tones
May be too chalky and opaque for daily use under makeup
Can create an occlusive film, which results in increased perspiration during physical activities and, therefore, causes it to wear off more quickly
Can be thicker, which will require more effort to rub in
Can cause white drips to show on the skin when sweating
Can be less protective if not applied generously and accurately since UV light can get between the sunscreen molecules and get into the skin

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chemical sunscreens contain organic (carbon-based) compounds, such as oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone, which create a chemical reaction and work by changing UV rays into heat, then releasing that heat from the skin. They are often referred to as chemical or organic absorbers.

Pros of chemical sunscreens:

Tends to be thinner and, therefore, spreads more easily on the skin, making it more wearable for daily use
Less is needed to protect the skin because there is no risk of no spaces between the sunscreen molecules after application
Formula is easier to add additional treatment ingredients, such as peptides and enzymes, which offer other skin benefits

Cons of chemical sunscreens:

Can possibly cause an increase in existing brown spots and discoloration due to a higher internal skin temperature.
Requires about 20 to 30 minutes after application before it begins to work
Increased chance of irritation and stinging (especially for those who have dry skin with a damaged moisture barrier) due to the multiple ingredients combined in order to achieve broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
The higher the SPF (such as formulas of SPF 50 or greater), the higher the risk of irritation for sensitive skin types
The protection it offers gets used up more quickly when in direct UV light, so reapplication must be more frequent
Increased chance of redness for rosacea-prone skin types because it changes UV rays into heat which can exacerbate flushing
May clog the pores for oily skin types
Can cause stinging if it drips into the eyes from sweat

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting, thank you! Is there a list of physical sunscreens I can look at and write some down? Or do you just look for ones that say mineral?

I'll write down the ones listed already and see if I can find the time to run up to Sephora tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to see what I can find in town.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat,
I don't know; I usually scan the ingredient list, which tells me which is physical and which is chemical based on those key ingredients. Note that some are a combination of physical and chemical too.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1467114798|4049141 said:
Yimmers|1467041308|4048789 said:
Chrono, do you like the drunk elephant?
I'm not sure whether it is doing much, so I am awaiting the arrival of my Melano CC intensive anti-spot essence to see whether I get better PIH reduction results with it. At least my skin doesn't have a bad reaction to the DE C serum.

Chrono, are you using the Drunk Elephant C serum at the same time that you use Shark Sauce or other products that contain niacinamide? L-Ascorbic Acid and niacinamides essentially cancel one another out, so you may not be seeing improvement in discoloration as a result. Niacinamide hadn't faded discoloration for me (except for one beauty spot on my cheek where I don't apply Vitamin C), so I've started letting my Vitamin C product sit for 15-20 minutes before putting shark sauce on in the morning.

packrat|1467134043|4049239 said:
Interesting, thank you! Is there a list of physical sunscreens I can look at and write some down? Or do you just look for ones that say mineral?

I'll write down the ones listed already and see if I can find the time to run up to Sephora tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to see what I can find in town.

I second Missy's recommendation for the CoTz Sensitive SPF 40 sunscreen as a great physical sunscreen - both my mom and I have been really happy with it. You should be able to order it one-day on Amazon so that you don't have to run all over the place to find sunscreen before your vacation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tsavvy,
I let the DE C serum sit for approximately 15 minutes before applying my toner, then essence, followed by Shark Sauce, letting each one "dry" before moving on to the next step. I guess my original post about the total routine time being 5 minutes long inadvertently excluded the C serum time because I usually dress and get my coffee during the wait time. :oops:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Good afternoon, nice to see this thread resurrect again! I have been working away at my skincare, like it is a proper hobby. ;-)

In response to Pierrebear's question about whether products make any actual difference- I guess this is easier to see when you have super sensitive skin. When I use the wrong products my skin freaks out, and "actives" tend to be very active on my skin. When I use products that my skin likes I also see fast results as far as healing, calming, fading of pigmentation etc., so I have no doubt that products can make a big difference in skin quality for better or for worse. I guess it is nice that your derm at least didn't try to ram an expensive product line down your throat...still that wasn't super helpful or even medically/scientifically accurate (I think there is some decent science behind certain topicals like retin a and vit c).

So my routine is coming along, my skin is calm, and I've seen good improvement. I have a testing calendar written up, and keep notes on what I try so I can figure out ingredients to avoid. I feel like I am getting to know my new drier climate, post allergy/rosacea development skin.

Timeless 20% vitamin c + e ferulic acid serum has been a big hit for me. I had to introduce this slowly, but OMG my skin loves this stuff! I am also loving Hylamide Anti Age Sub Q with Sensitivity Fix booster. I feel like this product is what really turned my hydration levels around. I also finally found a sunscreen that doesn't make my skin dry/angry/clogged- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Pure Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer- yay!

Still have many products on the testing roster, but since I have my crucial baseline products safely in place, it now feels enjoyable and interesting, instead of overwhelming and stressful. :))

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Chrono have you liked the Innisfree eco sunscreen? I have really been enjoying it

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have an experience with the Sunday Riley oils, I have wanted to try out the Luna Sleeping Night Oil

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1467142627|4049307 said:
Anyone have an experience with the Sunday Riley oils, I have wanted to try out the Luna Sleeping Night Oil

I would LOVE to be able to try these, but they are $130-$150 in Canada. I've sampled Luna at Sephora and it felt great. I substituted Caudalie oil instead. I think it works well, but is not as subtle or smooth feeling as Luna. For my mature skin, I think I'd like to try Flora. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas. I've done that with other beauty products in the past. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1467142546|4049305 said:
Chrono have you liked the Innisfree eco sunscreen? I have really been enjoying it
Yes! It works great and is affordable to boot.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1467145177|4049337 said:

I would LOVE to be able to try these, but they are $130-$150 in Canada. I've sampled Luna at Sephora and it felt great. I substituted Caudalie oil instead. I think it works well, but is not as subtle or smooth feeling as Luna. For my mature skin, I think I'd like to try Flora. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas. I've done that with other beauty products in the past. ;))

thats what I do, or ask for Gift cards to spear or other places I get my beauty items.
I may take th plunge on this. I really want to try it and have heard good things!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Went to the store in town today in case I don't make it to the city and got this http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+natural+protection+lotion+sunscreen+with+broad+spectrum+spf+50.do it's the only physical one I could find here.

Now that I'm home and have time to look at stuff tho..the Cotz kind looks like it has less ingredients, which I like. I looked it up on Amazon..what would be the difference between these two, do you guys think? One has tint so that would make the skin look a little nicer, theoretically?

https://www.amazon.com/Cotz-Face-Natural-Skin-Ounce/dp/B0073P01RC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467162545&sr=8-1&keywords=cotz+sunscreen

https://www.amazon.com/Cotz-Sunscreen-Sensitive-Skin-Ounce/dp/B008U2Y5ME/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467162545&sr=8-2&keywords=cotz+sunscreen

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, sunscreen for the face can be a very individual thing. Have you tried the Aveeno? If it works for you, great. It's something I would try because I've had great luck with Aveeno products, and I rarely wear make up anyway. So if it works, go with that. I have ultra sensitive skin, so everything is pass/fail pretty much immediately. I can use more brands of sunscreen on my body than my face also. Best advice though, is to wear a HAT! Seriously, a physical barrier + sunscreen is your best bet. Rock it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have used the Luna off and on for about 9 months. I DESPISE the packaging. I alternate it with my Retin A. So like Ill use this twice a week and that maybe once or twice, or Ill use this once and that twice. I like it a lot but I probably won't rebuy it since I have Retin A and have enough things I layer. What I liked about it is that it's a gentler form of retinol and in general less irritating but it can still make you peel. It just doesn't seem to layer as well with my other stuff and it's an oil and I don't need more oils. It's been effective, but just like any other retinoids, my face gets the stupid little bumps for a few days before it levels off.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I've not tried it yet. We made it to the city today and didn't have time to get to Sephora so I didn't get a different kind. Bah. I did order a boonie hat from Zappos, so I'll have that if I find that purple thing dad bought me to be completely unbearable. Dad has a stick like what the lifeguards use, the white stuff-zinc oxide? And we'll have a couple stops along the way I can look for another kind just in case.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1467164069|4049481 said:
Went to the store in town today in case I don't make it to the city and got this http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+natural+protection+lotion+sunscreen+with+broad+spectrum+spf+50.do it's the only physical one I could find here.

Now that I'm home and have time to look at stuff tho..the Cotz kind looks like it has less ingredients, which I like. I looked it up on Amazon..what would be the difference between these two, do you guys think? One has tint so that would make the skin look a little nicer, theoretically?

https://www.amazon.com/Cotz-Face-Natural-Skin-Ounce/dp/B0073P01RC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467162545&sr=8-1&keywords=cotz+sunscreen

https://www.amazon.com/Cotz-Sunscreen-Sensitive-Skin-Ounce/dp/B008U2Y5ME/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467162545&sr=8-2&keywords=cotz+sunscreen

Hi Packie! I have trouble with sunscreens on my face. Physical sunscreens clog my pores, and mineral sunscreens make me itch. I have found the ONLY sunscreen to never break me out. It actually dries down matte. I love it (even though it is a chemical sunscreen). Maybe you should give it a try - it is under $10 at most retailers. http://www.walmart.com/ip/19423423?...2661952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78656305232&veh=sem

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1467263085|4049968 said:
packrat|1467164069|4049481 said:

Hi Packie! I have trouble with sunscreens on my face. Physical sunscreens clog my pores, and mineral sunscreens make me itch. I have found the ONLY sunscreen to never break me out. It actually dries down matte. I love it (even though it is a chemical sunscreen). Maybe you should give it a try - it is under $10 at most retailers. http://www.walmart.com/ip/19423423?...2661952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78656305232&veh=sem
It is funny how personal sunscreens can be. All aveeno face products break me out. So did that Neutrogena sunscreen that is suggested.

Right now I am using a product by innisfree. It is their "no sebum" sunblock. It does cause a bit of a white cast at first, but that fades and my powder foundation covers anything that is left.

https://www.amazon.com/Innisfree-Safety-Sebum-Sunblock-SPF35/dp/B0083WYUU8

I also bought their blotting powder, olive oil cleanser, and volcanic face cleanser (that I find way too drying but my husband loves it.) I actually bought it all on their website because they were having a buy one get one free sale.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1467085836|4049074 said:
Dermstore.com is a great place to buy high end products online and they are an authorized dealer.

Edit to add, they offer free shipping.

And I loved Elta MD's UV Clear sunscreen for oily skin.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will look for that, thank you!
ETA Oops just saw there were others listed, I didn't scroll down far enough. I will probably just go ahead and order some of these even tho I won't have them in time. I'll get what I can to take up there.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I just ran across an article about the top 10 sunscreens recommended by dermatologists. This one was listed: https://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Ultra-Sunscreen-Resistant/dp/B002CML1XE
The dermatologists commented that it was especially good for acne-prone skin. I actually have this (I purchased it at Target) and I've seen it in many of my local drug stores. It's lightweight and feels pretty good on my skin. I forgot to mention it because it ended up in my husband's golf bag and I hadn't seen it/used it in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results