shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good Radiant Cut Diamond ??? PLEASE HELPPPPP

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you mention your girlfriend is Asian? In some Asian cultures they do value very high color diamonds. In that regard, you may want to stick to what she wants. To tell the truth, and I always say this, you two should design this ring together. She has to wear it, so she should get a say in how it looks.

I'm also going to be the dissenter on the round cut shape. She says they're too common and I feel just the same way. It seems like most women have a round cut diamond. For my engagement ring I wanted something different. I still don't care for rounds. I don't like repeated concentric patterns, they hurt my eyes, so I vastly prefer the disorganized glitter that some shapes have. It's all personal taste, which brings me back to my first point, ask her what she wants.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JustinVu said:
diamondseeker2006|1466900154|4048372 said:
Justin, the best cut rounds will beat out 99.9% of radiants ANY day! If you want to get her a very fine cut diamond, go with an ideal cut round. You get what you pay for. If she has not expressed a preference, I think you are making a HUGE mistake considering a radiant! You cannot even approach the light performance of a well cut round as you could see in Tiffany. And we can direct you to better cut stones than they carry, in fact.

What shape is her mother's diamond, by the way?

Thanks for your comment.

She never wore or had any diamond jewellery. She did say she likes round although it can be anything. I just thought round is way too common so I wanted princess or square radiant for a modern look. Though recently a friend of mine got engaged with a princess so I decided to go on with the square radiant. The only one thing that she wants is D colour, that's all she knows about diamond. Other than that, everything else is fine.

Since I have paid the deposit to the jeweller, I need a good reason to back off from the stone to justify the $500 - $1,000 AUD lost (not sure exactly how much, should really be the amount to cover delivery and insurance costs for them).

I was like WOW when I saw the brilliance and huge fires from Tiffany's round diamond and quite disappointed to see my diamond has such tiny random sparkles :(...

What can you recommend for me for an under $10k USD diamond, D colour eye clean (preferably VS2 VS1) for a round, princess, radiant or even cushion?

Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm mis-reading, but it seems like she actually likes round and that the OP is the one who wants something different, ie a radiant or princess.

Try and get her what you feel she will love. If it's any shape, but she loves the sparkle, then a round will be great. But I wouldn't worry about a round diamond being "too common." An e-ring is a timeless piece, not something she'll likely change with trends. I'm really impressed with how much work you're putting into this!

E B

Ideal_Rock
JustinVu|1467013050|4048703 said:
Took her out pretending I'm doing some window shopping and she seemed to like round, although admitted it's too popular. The shop didnt have any radiant for me to show her but she likes the princess as well.

I don't know that I'd go down the round path knowing this. Did she seem to favor princess over round? It's a lot easier to find a well-cut princess than a well-cut radiant.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.347-f-vs1-princess-diamond-ags-104084474001

Edit: I see now that you're worried about durability, but you can always discuss extra protection when making the setting. I might also bring up a cushion, since it seems to be a happy medium between round and princess and is less common than round.

Example (get ASET): https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C151-R9L1XG

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JustinVu|1467013050|4048703 said:
diamondseeker2006|1466902647|4048382 said:

Thanks Ds2006 for looking up some very nice diamonds for me.

Took her out pretending I'm doing some window shopping and she seemed to like round, although admitted it's too popular. The shop didnt have any radiant for me to show her but she likes the princess as well.

Perhaps you could have a look another video I recorded on that day, without the flash.

https://vimeo.com/172377542
https://vimeo.com/172377541

Let me know what you guys think. I'm having final thoughts on it jst to ensure I wont have ring regret after the purchase.

Thank y'all again.
This is where I thought she said it was too popular.

Bottom line, I still think you should ask her. A proposal can still be romantic if she helps design the ring. Mine certainly was, and my husband isn't the most romantic guy around. That's not a shot, in general I'm not into that sort of thing either. But he really pulled out all the stops for the proposal, even though we designed the ring together.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then why don't you simply ask her which she'd like the most, a princess, radiant or a round?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1467058169|4048915 said:
Then why don't you simply ask her which she'd like the most, a princess, radiant or a round?
+1
I gotta tell you Justin- I've spoken to countless women who wish their hubbie would have asked them before buying a ring......

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounds are popular for a very good reason.

Get her friend to ask what her favorite diamond rings are if you don't want to ask. Then you find out diamonds and setting styles.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
I'm so so impressed for the amount of input in this forum. Your objectiveness and contribution effort made me feel very touched.

Yes y'all right. She likes round the most, followed by princess and cushion. She hates all of the 'too' fancy shapes such as emerald, asscher (too old), pear (she got long fingers already), heart (eww), oval & marquise (nah). I was the one that wants her ring to be different because I see many celebrities not wearing round. Despite that, I'm not ready to compromise fire performance just to be different.

Then I realised, after viewing my radiant in person, that although I have no problem with the crash ice look, it is just so hard to assess one particular radiant without proper parameters and having a saleperson who, obviously, would like to sell, and close the sale. Moreover, for a radiant to look good, probably a 6.15mm square is probably not adequate since the fires are too tiny.

The reason why I don't ask her is that, like many other men, I want to keep a secret from her and am planning a sick proposal for her But it isnt easy to do all the guess work. Since I've started to ask question, took her out pretend we 'are just doing window shopping' to get an idea of what she likes and her ring size, she's now under the impression that I'd eventually buy her something, though not exactly when and never would imagine I'd spend that much. and we both agreed Tiffany round looks phenomenal, and I'm sure I could do better at their price range, any day.

She loves D colour, and of course, wouldnt have a clue even between D and G. I don't think F is a problem with colour, it's just a mind thing. But yes, it is a very Asian thing, not compromise quality for quantity. That is why I picked the 1.188 with a dimension full of of 1, 6 and 8 haha (6.80x6.81x4.18), which preserves somewhat an Asian culture, and fits my budget (a bit over but it's ok). http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3689778.htm

With this stone I think it's narrowed down to a very specific combination of all parameters that guarantee to perform well, it's just really the matter of paying the premium (although I think you really pay the expert to pick the best for you, beside it's better anyway). The problem with this stone is I'm not sure if my jeweller can help me order this because if I was to do it myself, I'd have to pay import and GST tax and can never claim back (which is a huge amount, nearly 15%) whereas I could do that via an Australian dealer. Is that A cut above@ exclusive to Whiteflash? Have you guys known of any purchase from Whiteflash via a local dealer?

If they can't help me buy it, I have 2 options:
1. Choose a stone that is not exclusive to whiteflash, or a stone from elsewhere that can be globally accessed -> the jeweller can do that, just like how they sourced my radiant.
2. Forget about the deposit, elect to lose the cost of delivery + insurances (may be $500) and keep the other $500 towards a setting. They are one of the most popular jeweller here in Sydney with many ring design and can custom anything I want, so I think I can get them to do that work at least. I do feel bad to walk away from them completely after all the time we've spent.

Please let me know what you guys think. and as always, I appreciate your kind words :)

E B

Ideal_Rock
If she likes round the most, go with round. It sounds like you want to stick with this jeweler, so here's a "cheat sheet" (I didn't come up with this, btw, but it's routinely shared here) you can ask them to use when sourcing you a diamond:

Depth: 60-62.3

Table: 54-58

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

GIA or AGS certificate.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if you really want to make sure it's a stunner, buy an ASET or at least an Idealscope. Garry Holloway's website sells them and he's in Australia. It takes like 2 minutes to figure out how to use it and you can bring it with you to look at stones. The image will tell you whether or not the diamond has great light performance.

And no I don't think they would buy an ACA for you as it's an in-house branded stone by Whiteflash. Just like they wouldn't likely buy a Tiffany diamond for you. Does that make sense? Stones they can get for you are accessible to many vendors and those stones are the ones you'll probably be choosing from. Stick to the parameters EB posted for you. And remember that GIA triple excellent is not enough as that is too broad of a range to definitely get a stellar performing diamond.

Let us know what happens and how else we can help you! Did you mention what kind of setting you're thinking about for your GF?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am glad we came back around to the fact that SHE likes rounds the most! I'll tell you right now, a radiant is not in my top five diamond choices, and I would be very upset if my husband bought me something that he just liked without considering what I like, since the gift is for me. I hope you will remember this in the future. :))

All I can tell you is that we have many members here in Australia who buy diamonds in the US, likely because diamond prices are high in Australia. You probably will not be able to access the cut quality of an ACA there, but you can get a good GIA ex cut diamond by using the parameters given above. Stay within those numbers and do not budge outside of them. But do NOT buy without running the numbers by us, and let us check pricing for you. I think the 1.18 ACA is a great choice should you decide to buy from the US. They carry nice settings and you can have it all done in one place if you do decide to buy from the US. Good luck and show us what your jeweler can access. They should not charge you a lot for returning the radiant in any event. I would take the loss on that shipping and move on if they can't access a great round,

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1467085838|4049075 said:
Okay, I am glad we came back around to the fact that SHE likes rounds the most! I'll tell you right now, a radiant is not in my top five diamond choices, and I would be very upset if my husband bought me something that he just liked without considering what I like, since the gift is for me. I hope you will remember this in the future. :))

Totally agree. I change my mind not for the sake of it, but for the fact that I should respect her choice not mine.

I've done some search on pricescope.com with strict parameters as follows: 1.15-1.40 carat, $9000-$10600, D-F color, VS1-VS2 clarity, Excellent HCA, labs: GIA, AGS; Advanced: depth 61.0-62.5, table 54.0-57.0, symmetry Ideal-Excellent, polish Ideal-Excellent, fluorescence Faint-n/a and there are 21 stones as below - sorted by carat weight:
search_0.png
You can see the Whiteflash's stone sits right in the middle, so I think it's kinda fair, albeit their $$ per carat is the highest. I will try to get the jeweler to help me arrange the purchase from Whiteflash. I'm happy to pay for their service ($500 for example) which I can get back 10% of the GST (~$1500)

If they can't, I need to come up with 1-2 stones as a backup option to give them, hopefully they can organise the delivery. It's kinda hard because not many dealers provide ASET image, ideal-scope image as a default option.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh thank goodness.

I was worried about you spending so much money on a radiant for her without any knowledge or input.

I am SO HAPPY you talked to her. It's a gift, and should ABSOLUTELY be about her.

Get her a beautiful round. In a fantastic HIGH QUALITY pave setting.

Can you just ask them to convert the deposit into a store credit THAT DOESN'T EXPIRE, and then go there for wedding bands? Seriously that might be the best way to go.

Let us know what vendor you are going to work with and we'll help you narrow down setting and diamond choices.

I would stick to VS2 and better clarity and at least F, like you are considering given the cultural preferences.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1467091636|4049091 said:
Oh thank goodness.

I was worried about you spending so much money on a radiant for her without any knowledge or input.

I am SO HAPPY you talked to her. It's a gift, and should ABSOLUTELY be about her.

Get her a beautiful round. In a fantastic HIGH QUALITY pave setting.

Can you just ask them to convert the deposit into a store credit THAT DOESN'T EXPIRE, and then go there for wedding bands? Seriously that might be the best way to go.

Let us know what vendor you are going to work with and we'll help you narrow down setting and diamond choices.

I would stick to VS2 and better clarity and at least F, like you are considering given the cultural preferences.

Haha, looks like everyone is happy for me to get out of the radiant game :)).

I don't think I have any preference with any vendor really, just the question of whether my dealer can arrange the delivery / purchase or not. At the moment, I'm looking at the ACA Whiteflash http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3689778.htm?source=pricescope... Beautiful diamond and I totally loved it, although my dealer may not be able to purchase from. I'm happy to give them money for their service or otherwise ordering directly from WF means I gotta pay some hefty taxes.

Oh, and I sure can ask them about the deposit, I think I'll lose some delivery + insurances both ways for the radiant stone, which is fine. Part of the learning process :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful stone.

I think it would be a nice choice.

Have WF take a picture for you of that stone next to this: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3143291.htm

I think these are the best settings from WF.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1011.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1011.htm

And I do think getting a credit toward a future purchase from your current jeweler may be your best bet. They aren't going to get this quality for you.

BUT-- you know who might be able to??? Gary. You said his store was close by. Give him a call.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1467093351|4049098 said:
It is a beautiful stone.

I think it would be a nice choice.

Have WF take a picture for you of that stone next to this: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3143291.htm

I think these are the best settings from WF.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

And I do think getting a credit toward a future purchase from your current jeweler may be your best bet. They aren't going to get this quality for you.

BUT-- you know who might be able to??? Gary. You said his store was close by. Give him a call.

The Legato Sleek line is exactly the same as what I have designed with the jeweler, except a little tiny 1.35mm 2PP Argyle round pink diamond underneath the main center stone. I just thought being in Australia, I'd give her a little special touch and I chose 18k rose pink to complement that pink diamond.

I had another check again with Gary. He's located in a different state which I thought it was my state because the suburbs have the same name haha, stupid me.

I really hope my jeweler can help me getting the ACA Whiteflash. Such a beautiful stone with fair price, beautiful everything :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't want to pop your bubble. But I am a realist.

It is highly unlikely that your jeweler will be able to get that stone. Just prepare yourself for plan B. Okay?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The ACA stones are Whiteflash's branded cut, exclusive to them. I highly doubt that your jeweler can "source" an ACA from Whiteflash to help you avoid taxes in your country. That would be highly unusual. I know there are others in Australia, the UK, and elsewhere who have purchased directly from Whiteflash and paid the import fees, etc. It might not be fun or cheap, but it's legal. :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has she asked for rose gold? Please do not do that, either, if she has not specifically requested it. Rose gold doesn't look that great on everyone, and a ring I plan to wear for many years I do not want in rose gold. Go with platinum if she has not requested rose gold specifically. I gotta tell you that a hidden pink diamond is not really worth the money. It it is set under the stone, she can't see it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops! Just read through the thread to catch up. I see that you asked her for her preference....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1467152880|4049405 said:
Rockdiamond|1467058508|4048918 said:
JDDN|1467058169|4048915 said:
+1
I gotta tell you Justin- I've spoken to countless women who wish their hubbie would have asked them before buying a ring......

+1000 PLEASE just ask

He did. He came back and said she wants a ROUND (he was the one who liked radiants). But now we are talking about settings.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am okay with the rose gold, given that he said she likes it and he really wants to get her something more unique than the classic round in a white solitiare. I TOTALLY would nix the pink diamond of it all, you can get her a nice little present on her wedding day with a small pink diamond in it or something down the line. But since she does like rose gold and he does want something more unique I think the rose gold is a good place to go a little less conservative. And he's already said he's fine with her resetting it down the line if she doesn't love it and she can put a colored stone in it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1467157126|4049430 said:
I am okay with the rose gold, given that he said she likes it and he really wants to get her something more unique than the classic round in a white solitiare. I TOTALLY would nix the pink diamond of it all, you can get her a nice little present on her wedding day with a small pink diamond in it or something down the line. But since she does like rose gold and he does want something more unique I think the rose gold is a good place to go a little less conservative. And he's already said he's fine with her resetting it down the line if she doesn't love it and she can put a colored stone in it.

The other option that you could consider is shopping with her for a wedding band that includes a pink diamond (or alternates pink and white, depending on budget). I think that might be better in this case :)

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1467152594|4049403 said:
Has she asked for rose gold? Please do not do that, either, if she has not specifically requested it. Rose gold doesn't look that great on everyone, and a ring I plan to wear for many years I do not want in rose gold. Go with platinum if she has not requested rose gold specifically. I gotta tell you that a hidden pink diamond is not really worth the money. It it is set under the stone, she can't see it.

She in fact wanted platinum, DS2006. The design was all my idea, from rose gold to pink diamond. But if I gotta spend a bit extra for the centre stone now, might as well forget that pink diamond. I just thought it was a thing to brag about for her at some girls' nights because of its rareness and the australian factor :D

She doesn't know anything about platinum or white gold or rose gold except that platinum is more expensive that others. So again, it's just the mind thing. I'm ok with any metal, doesn't really bother me. I just thought rose gold gives a bit of contrast to the pave diamonds. But i'm sure I can get platinum/white gold with colorless round diamond for the e-ring and rose gold with pink diamonds combo for the wedder.

Also, is that true that platinum is a bit dull in terms of brightness compare to white gold with palladium plated, and it's softer and more prone to scratches, and cheaper too. My gf's skin is not white, typical south east asian skin actually, a bit yellowish, I'd say medium-white.

That's her: img_0272.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JustinVu|1467158650|4049448 said:
She in fact wanted platinum, DS2006. The design was all my idea, from rose gold to pink diamond. But if I gotta spend a bit extra for the centre stone now, might as well forget that pink diamond. I just thought it was a thing to brag about for her at some girls' nights because of its rareness and the australian factor :D

She doesn't know anything about platinum or white gold or rose gold except that platinum is more expensive that others. So again, it's just the mind thing. I'm ok with any metal, doesn't really bother me. I just thought rose gold gives a bit of contrast to the pave diamonds. But i'm sure I can get platinum/white gold with colorless round diamond for the e-ring and rose gold with pink diamonds combo for the wedder.

Also, is that true that platinum is a bit dull in terms of brightness compare to white gold with palladium plated, and it's softer and more prone to scratches, and cheaper too. My gf's skin is not white, typical south east asian skin actually, a bit yellowish, I'd say medium-white.

Platinum is the "whitest" of the metals and also the strongest. The reason some people think it's more "prone" to scratches is because on the surface sometimes tiny marks or scratches can be seen, but the cool part about platinum is that these can be polished out WITHOUT losing any metal. With other metals, every time you polish them you kind of loose a layer. Also, palladium isn't usually what plates white gold, it's rhodium. The annoying part about white gold is that you need to re-plate it about once a year, otherwise it starts to look "yellowish". Platinum will never need re-plating (neither will un-plated white gold). But overall most people recommend platinum for e-rings because of the strength and durability of them over time.

EDIT: platinum is also heavier than white gold, and it gives pieces a "weight/heft" to them that lots of people like because it feels luxurious and substantial. After re-plating my white gold wedding set 3-5 times, and the fact that right now it's yellowish again but I dont want to give it up for days to be re-plated, I can personally recommend going with platinum :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
White gold is harder. Platinum is stronger.

I think your lady sounds like she likes the 'best things' because she's been told they are the best and that she should expect them.

Get her platinum if she asked for it. It will make her feel valued, since she puts such a value on having the best. In this case I think you should go for that D VS2 at WF too. That will tell her you value her opinions.

You can get jiggy with things later on the wedding band or other items.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is beautiful! Yep, she wants platinum, again, for good reason. It is denser than gold and does not wear away like gold does. It never has to be replated. If you buy from the US, we can tell you the hardest platinum alloys to ask for. Every few years you can have platinum polished if you like it to look shiny as new all the time. My new rings are 3+ years old and they don't need polishing yet.

I am glad you are starting to really listen to her wishes and get her what she really wants. That is going to make her FAR happier than if you get her something you think is creative but she is disappointed in. I suggest for the rest of your life, you always ask her for suggestions of things she likes, make notes, and then get those exact things for her. Let her choose the wedding band.

Other basics that many women here want eventually are round diamond stud earrings, a diamond tennis bracelet, and perhaps a diamond pendant. A good watch like Cartier or Rolex is another. We'd be happy to help you with any of those items and more. But just always get her input so that you know what will please her the most. You'll both be happier when you give her something she loves!

I will tell you that the first jewelry gift my husband gave me before we were married was something that I didn't like. The stone in the pendant and earrings was a color that I never wear, so I never really wore them. I told him later (prior to some other occasion) to please never buy me jewelry (or anything else) unless I had specifically shown him items that I wanted. There is about zero possibility that he could choose something that I would want without my help. We've been married for many years, so this plan has kept both of us happy. :bigsmile:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I must commend you for being flexible, open, unselfish, and caring enough to create the ring she wants. Many other posters could learn from your example.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband has picked out (all by himself) lovely jewelry for me. But he was raised by four sisters. He's been broken in exceptionally well, and knows to stick to neutral items. He knows I prefer white metal, good quality diamonds and he knows what good quality looks like. Since I've been on PS he also knows my friends (who know my tastes to a T) and knows what vendors I favor. So he reaches out to them if he wants a surprise and is unsure. He makes more conservative selections than I do, but that's because he's buying for another person whereas I am buying for me and I can get giggy with it, whereas he can't.

I think your lady looks and sounds very young. And that she seems very influenced by her mother and culture, at least for now. For I would stick to high quality pieces. She would probably appreciate Cartier and Van Cleef's pieces. Platinum, diamonds, 18kt white gold and nice quality white and (if she likes them) black tahitian pearls. I would stick to platinum for earrings and rings and white gold for pendants.

Classic pieces (yes, they may seem boring but diamonds are forever -hhehehe-- so classic is best for gifts) like nice diamond solitaire earrings and a pendant. As Diamondseeker said, avoid colored stones unless she has actually picked the piece (not the stone, the piece itself), stick to nice brands and conservative and classic choices.

And ALWAYS keep in mind that when you giving a gift your preferences are second to hers. And gift within the return policy, just in case.

And just in case you are wondering. I afford him the same consideration. When I buy him presents I always focus on what he would like best, regardless of my own tastes. My husband is a geek. I own a HUGE batman light, a milenium falcon replica in my bookshelf in my living room, and more gaming consoles than seems right. Do I like or would I have picked out ANY of those? Heck no. Someday, if dreams come true, I would love to walk into a Harley store and buy a nice gift certificate and give it to him so he can pick out his own bike ( I wouldn't presume to pick out something that personal). I HATE motorcycles. But it's not about me.

That's really what marriage is: putting the other person first and communicating with them openly and being considerate of their feelings even when they run contrary to yours.

You are well on your way, in your journey here. I know she is going to end up with a ring she will adore. And when you see the thousand watt smile on her face every time she looks at it you won't care that it's a round, or platinum, or anything other than the fact that it fills her with joy.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1467169857|4049516 said:
OP, I must commend you for being flexible, open, unselfish, and caring enough to create the ring she wants. Many other posters could learn from your example.

Thank you for your kind words.

I guess the old saying still remains valid : "Happy Wife, Happy Life" right :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results