shape
carat
color
clarity

George F. Will Leaves The Republican Party Over Trump

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
George F. Will, a stalwart of the G.O.P., has left the Republican Party over the candidacy of Donald Trump.

Mr. Will, "a conservative columnist and prominent Republican pundit for the past 40 years, said he has left the Republican Party because Donald J. Trump is the party’s presumptive presidential nominee.

Mr. Will revealed his decision on Friday in an interview with PJ Media. He said he had switched his party registration to unaffiliated this month, adding that Republicans should 'grit their teeth' during a Hillary Clinton presidency and then hope to beat her in 2020."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/us/politics/george-will-leaves-the-gop-over-donald-trump.html?hpw&rref=politics&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

AGBF

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That's pretty epic for those of us who follow such things. But I'd venture to say that most of the Republicans supporting Trump, have zero idea who he is.

Unfortunately for Will and other fading lights of what once could have been called "Republican intellectuals", he and the others are victims of the steady attacks by the extreme wing of the Republican party, on anyone with a brain and who isn't as extreme as themselves. Now the Republican hoi polloi couldn't care less what they think, and distrust them precisely because that ARE intellectuals.

Interesting that he's remaining unaffiliated.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump couldn't beat anyone else on earth except maybe HC.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1466894140|4048348 said:
Wow. That's pretty epic for those of us who follow such things. But I'd venture to say that most of the Republicans supporting Trump, have zero idea who he is.

Unfortunately for Will and other fading lights of what once could have been called "Republican intellectuals", he and the others are victims of the steady attacks by the extreme wing of the Republican party, on anyone with a brain and who isn't as extreme as themselves. Now the Republican hoi polloi couldn't care less what they think, and distrust them precisely because that ARE intellectuals.

Given his background, and you pointed out that his departure was "pretty epic", I really couldn't see him becoming a Democrat. Did you have some other affiliation in mind?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. A Republican with courage - about time someone said no, as one of our Scottish friends said, to that "cheeto-faced, ferret wearing sh-tgibbon." I agree that's epic.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1466908529|4048401 said:
ksinger|1466894140|4048348 said:

Given his background, and you pointed out that his departure was "pretty epic", I really couldn't see him becoming a Democrat. Did you have some other affiliation in mind?

Oh, I suppose not. I thought briefly about Libertarian, since most of them ally with the Republicans on things, but I'm sure they're much too extreme and fringe-y for Will.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results