shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond??

ThomasAlexander

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post on this website but I've been doing a lot of reading here the past couple of weeks. Some great information! I wanted to get some of your thoughts on this diamond that I just purchased from JA for my girlfriends e-ring. It's a princess ideal cut. I guess the only things bothering me after reading more is:

1. i color - do you think i color is sufficient? I'd like for it to look near colorless.

2. Girdle - thick.. Will this make the stone look smaller than .9? The dimensions of the stone seem good and I forget what website it was but you could input the specs and it gave a score based on table, depth, etc. it rated it a perfect 100%.

Also, I went with the thin French cut pave band since I know my girlfriend is obsessed with extremely thin bands. This should make the stone look larger too I'm sure. She has hinted she wants a 1 carat ring, but I know quality beats size in the diamond industry and I want a beautiful diamond on her finger.

Oh btw.. The stone was $3300.. Does that seem like a good deal???

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.90-carat-i-color-if-clarity-sku-927440

SHAPE: Princess
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.90
COLOR: I
CLARITY: IF
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Very Good
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 5.34*5.26*3.75
L/W RATIO: 1.02

DEPTH %: 71.30
GIRDLE: Thick
TABLE %: 70.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 0.00
CROWN %: 0.00
PAVILION ∠: 0.00
PAVILION %: 0.00

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! :wavey: I just have to say that it is always a better idea to post here before you order rather than after. I think the diamond looks fine. I don't see a big difference in diameter from the other .90's, so that looks okay. IF clarity is overkill, but it doesn't seem to add too much to the price. So I think you are okay with the stone. I like this one a little better and it costs a little less:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.90-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1006885

You may not be okay with the setting, though. Can you link the one you are speaking about?

ThomasAlexander

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! Here is a link to the band. You can't go by the main pic of it though because it doesn't really look like that. Check the second virtual pic and the pics of it actually on the hand. I know I should've posted first but My time was running short, and needed delivery before our trip to Italy! We could always change the band if she isn't happy with it..

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7092

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I will look. I just posted a diamond that I like a little better in my last post.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that will be a no on the setting. First of all, you need any setting with diamonds on the shank to be at least 1.8mm. A flimsy shank may go out of round and you can lose the little stones. The other issue is that princess cuts NEED a head with V prongs to protect the corners of the stone. I would not use standard prongs for a round on a princess cut (even though they obviously sell them). We do see people come here with chipped corners, and the best way to prevent it is to use a head meant for a princess cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what a V prong head is:

princess_cut_v-prong_head.jpg

ThomasAlexander

Rough_Rock
Interesting! Ok I will check out other bands and look into V-prongs. This one will have to do for the proposal but if we have to send it back for another setting than so be it. Thanks for the info! Btw, what is it that you like about the other stone you shared more than the other one? Just curious..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ThomasAlexander|1466884345|4048299 said:
Interesting! Ok I will check out other bands and look into V-prongs. This one will have to do for the proposal but if we have to send it back for another setting than so be it. Thanks for the info! Btw, what is it that you like about the other stone you shared more than the other one? Just curious..

It has a slightly smaller table which I prefer and it costs a couple hundred less. A tiny bit more square. VS1 is totally clean, so I don't see any advantages in the other stone. However, if it is too late to switch, it's fine. Just get that setting changed as soon as you can, because even a bump at the right place can cause a chipped corner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results