shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for cat peeps

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Monarch and Sharon. :praise:

Monarch, that's actually why he named him that, he said he looked like a Henry. lol

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, good info on food and water bowls, thanks. I will take a pic or two as he progresses.

And I wanted to let you know, the cat tunnel and box scratcher came yesterday. Henry LOVED the tunnel. Played with it as soon as his "dad" put it down for about 20 minutes straight. Then hopped up on his couch perch and looked out the window. ::) And, he loves the box. Didn't take to it immediately, but once the interest was finally peaked, he thoroughly enjoyed it. Son thinks because he can actually get in it. Thanks again for those suggestions!

Speaking of food, curious as to what kinds you all approve of. Son has been stressing some over cost vs. quality. He absolutely wants to feed him decent food, but not pay more than he needs to . Would love your thoughts.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also meant to ask, for anyone who had cats chewing on power cords (because Mr. Henry is!) what did you spray them with to deter this potentially dangerous behavior?

P

PierreBear

Hey Ellen - In terms of food, I'm just sharing what I've learned as I just wasn't educated. I always bought Purina cat foot, the indoor formula for my cat for about the first 6 years of his life. It was a brand I recognized and I could pick it up at the grocery store without making a special trip to Pets Mart. Recently my cat had issues throwing up... vomit every other day essentially. We did tons of tests etc etc but couldn't figure out what's wrong. I think it's safe to assume it's just "irritable bowel syndrome" for a cat but it required fancier food. Specifically more quality food that I could only get at the vet. I'm not putting down Purina but I think it was wrong of me to assume that a brand I recognize from tv commercials would always be a good option without doing research. I'm too scared to switch brands now as cat's have sensitive stomachs but this newer food is pricey!

In terms of cats chewing on power cords... well they look like mouse tails! Mr. Henry probably can't help it! My cat as a kitten was more naughty and did things like chew cords and attack toilet paper rolls. However, he grew out of it. Now it's the occasional chomp chomp chomp on things but it's no big deal. Don't really have a fix for you other than try to show him away/spray with water when you catch him in the act. However, cats will be cats and can't be really trained like dogs. Good luck and enjoy the fun kitten phase!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Power cords can easily kill. Wrap them with fabric or hide them.

Regarding food. We free feed grain free dry and do 1.5 oz of wet at night.

I am using Wellness Indoor Grain Free.

I believe in grain free dye free non-supermarket food. But plenty of cats are healthy on other stuff.

Great feedback on tunnel and scratch lounge. :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was feeding mine..I forget, some store brand, and then went to Halo grain free/sensitive stomach b/c the girls had stinky breath-worse than just cat breath it was like something died. :knockout: Halo was better for their breath, but there was a lot of vomiting and hairballs. So I had to switch and I went to Iams Hairball formula. Better, doesn't eliminate them completely but close enough.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since Henry is a boy the most important thing is to prevent urinary problems. Dental problems are another thing to avoid. Wet food is best for urinary, dry is best for dental health. So...

In general the best way to do that is to have LOTS of fresh water around (and a pet water fountain-- stainless not ceramic or plastic-- might be a good investment down the road) and do make sure that whatever food you are feeding him takes urinary health and PH levels into account. And to feed a good mix of grain free dry and wet food.

So in general:

1. Feed a cat food high in animal protein.

Flesh foods maintain an acidic pH in the urinary tract, keeping the minerals dissolved in the urine so they can be excreted out. Most dry foods are high in grain proteins, which are alkalizing. Meat-based foods are better than grain-based foods! Raw meat diets are best at preventing FLUTD, followed by canned foods, which contain more meat and fewer grains than dry food. Canned food only diets can lead to some dental issues though. And a variety of grain free dry foods are commercially available now as well.

2. Feed a cat food low in ash and magnesium.

“Ash” refers to the total mineral content of a food. It gets its name from the laboratory procedure used to measure mineral content—burning a sample at high heat until nothing is left but the mineral ash. The major minerals calcium, phosphorus and magnesium are all necessary for life, so “ashless” cat food is not desirable. The right amount and balance of minerals are necessary. Excessive minerals, and especially excessive magnesium (a major component of the struvite crystals) are thought to be underlying factors in FLUTD. In dry foods look for less than 7% ash and 1% magnesium. In wet foods (containing 78% water) look for less than 1.5% ash and 0.02% magnesium.

3. Make sure your cat drinks enough water.

Dilution of the urine is a frequently overlooked factor in FLUTD. Cats who only eat dry food may be chronically dehydrated, without sufficient fluids in their systems to flush the kidneys. In nature, cats get most of their fluids from their juicy prey, and don’t have an instinct for water drinking. The simplest route to correcting dehydration is to add wet food to the diet, or provide a cascading water fountain that encourages cats to drink. Place water away from food, because cats are more likely to use a water source away from their “kill.”

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
PierreBear, my son came to the same conclusion also, that just because a brand is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's good. And he is paying a lot more now for less than he was. But he feels better about it and the cat likes the food a lot more. In the end before the switch, he was just licking the juice/gravy and not wanting to eat the wet food. It was Purina I believe. We both think his coat has a bit more sheen to it now.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Packrat, nothing worse than stinky animal breath! :sick:

Gypsy, thanks for the food thoughts, interesting. He has also switched the dry to a grain free and offers both wet and dry. Will pass on about keeping water separate, would not have ever thought of that. And will also pass on to consider if foods are addressing urinary and teeth problems. The fountain sounds cool, I will investigate those.

Thanks again all! :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1466166928|4045108 said:
Also meant to ask, for anyone who had cats chewing on power cords (because Mr. Henry is!) what did you spray them with to deter this potentially dangerous behavior?

You can buy bitter tasting spray at the pet store (bitter Apple spray, or top paw no chew spray). Water spritzing only taught my cat to chew when I wasn't around, so we had more success with the bad tasting stuff.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My SO says that supermarket food is the equivalent of feeding the cat McDonalds.

We buy Orijen dry food and Applaws and Almo Nature wet food usually. I think they are also cruelty free :) The applaws and almo definitely are.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rabbit my roommate had fried itself chewing wires.

2 of my cats just ignored the bitter apple after the initial shock of it. Depends on how determined or dumb your kid is.

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1466706919|4047191 said:
Rabbit my roommate had fried itself chewing wires.

2 of my cats just ignored the bitter apple after the initial shock of it. Depends on how determined or dumb your kid is.

:wavey:

Haha my kids have the double whammy. They are determined to be as dumb as possible. But I still love them so much. Maybe I'm the dumb one. LOL. :doh:

Ellen, glad Henry is doing well and looking forward to updates. (((HUGS))) to Henry and your son and to you for being a supportive mom!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all for weighing in on food and cords, I really appreciate it.

gypsy, what a shame about rabbit! :/

Thank you missy. :))

I really am beginning to think Henry is part dog. Beside fetching, he follows son all over the house, and sniffs, a lot! Every time I come over, he comes up and sniffs so intently, my shoes, my fingers... Is this normal for a cat? Seems funny to me, but cute.

He is also showing an interest in water, I thought (maybe erroneously) cats hated water.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha Ellen, all the best cats are part dog IMO. :lol:

Sniffing/smelling is very common as they use their sense of smell for so much and cats have a much more acute sense of smell than humans do. Cats use their sense of smell for survival, to find food, mates, mark their territory and protect themselves from predators.

Many cats (but not all) love playing in water. My cats love to put their paws in the faucet as I am running it and play with the stream of water splashing everyone around. But try giving them a bath and OMG you will get hurt. :lol: So water on their own terms at least for my cats. :bigsmile:

Isn't it amazing watching cats play and enjoy? They are amazing beings.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1466854148|4048128 said:
Haha Ellen, all the best cats are part dog IMO. :lol:

Sniffing/smelling is very common as they use their sense of smell for so much and cats have a much more acute sense of smell than humans do. Cats use their sense of smell for survival, to find food, mates, mark their territory and protect themselves from predators.

Many cats (but not all) love playing in water. My cats love to put their paws in the faucet as I am running it and play with the stream of water splashing everyone around. But try giving them a bath and OMG you will get hurt. :lol: So water on their own terms at least for my cats. :bigsmile:

Isn't it amazing watching cats play and enjoy? They are amazing beings.
:lol:

I just don't ever recall seeing a cat sniff like this one! But yeah, they are definitely neat to watch. And listen to too, he 'chirps" a lot also. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha cats are so funny and all different. And a bit weird. That's what I love about them. Here's a quick pic I was able to find with them and water. Not the best pic but they don't always cooperate when I am taking photos imagine that lol. Here they are right before they start putting their little paws in the water stream. 8)

And here is Bobby just hanging out in the sink. Weird place to be if you don't like to be bathed (which he definitely does not like!) and I h have the scratches to prove it. :knockout: :lol:

bobby_frankie_tommy_water_0.jpg

_37633.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results