carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Mayk|1466621911|4046769 said:
I'm sure Vatche is more then hacked at all the replica's, they should really be mad the U-113 has been knocked off more then any other design.

Vatche can't get mad, the U113 is a knock-off of the Tiffany solitaire! :bigsmile: I still remember when I first joined another forum (DT) in 2003, everyone was getting a Vatche because it was the closest Tiffany knockoff out there.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes because when you become guilty by association where does it stop? Are you supposed to vet a person's religious beliefs and their stance on animal testing to make sure they are in line with your own before you can do business with them?

Sounds ridiculous right. So why would Elle vet what else DK does for money when she is going to him with 1 purpose, (ie here's my design please build it).

I have my morals, I cannot guarantee you the people I do business with share my morals; how is that on me?!

Saying "keep things in perspective" what exactly does that mean? All Elle said was she was upset someone had stolen her design. What's out of perspective in that? It's only gone on the way it has because we all have jumped in and continued it/asked Elle questions so she's had to come back and re repeat her message.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel|1466633811|4046876 said:
Yes because when you become guilty by association where does it stop? Are you supposed to vet a person's religious beliefs and their stance on animal testing to make sure they are in line with your own before you can do business with them?

Sounds ridiculous right. So why would Elle vet what else DK does for money when she is going to him with 1 purpose, (ie here's my design please build it).

I have my morals, I cannot guarantee you the people I do business with share my morals; how is that on me?!

Saying "keep things in perspective" what exactly does that mean? All Elle said was she was upset someone had stolen her design. What's out of perspective in that? It's only gone on the way it has because we all have jumped in and continued it/asked Elle questions so she's had to come back and re repeat her message.

I'm just pointing out the irony. Shes more than welcome to be upset by this. I'm not saying she shouldn't be. I'm just saying it's not lost on some readers of this forum.

Let's leave this thread for gems. If you want to talk about intellectual theft, let's move to hangout

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MayK, last time I checked a round stone in a cushion bezel wasn't a new and innovative concept, lol. If nemory serves, EW owns a SingleStone solitaire that basically faces up just like her Jin, no? Neither is a brooch conversion - you see them by the hundreds at antique shows - Grace and I had the idea years ago based on examples we saw at the shows. You went to the Miami show awhile back, right? I'm sure you saw lots of brooch conversions, and not one of them got their idea from your favorite vendor. Don't take it so personally.

As for inspiration in jewelry design, it just goes with the territory. Caysie and I see our ideas copied regularly, and we obtain some of our inspiration from vintage pieces we admire. It used to upset us but now we're just flattered and hope that our unique details and exceptional quality set our settings apart from the knock offs. Knock off's of our designs aren't hurting our business - we're busier than ever, so I guess we're doing something right!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad|1466634361|4046882 said:
MayK, last time I checked a round stone in a cushion bezel wasn't a new and innovative concept, lol. If nemory serves, EW owns a SingleStone solitaire that basically faces up just like her Jin, no? Neither is a brooch conversion - you see them by the hundreds at antique shows - Grace and I had the idea years ago based on examples we saw at the shows. You went to the Miami show awhile back, right? I'm sure you saw lots of brooch conversions, and not one of them got their idea from your favorite vendor. Don't take it so personally.

As for inspiration in jewelry design, it just goes with the territory. Caysie and I see our ideas copied regularly, and we obtain some of our inspiration from vintage pieces we admire. It used to upset us but now we're just flattered and hope that our unique details and exceptional quality set our settings apart from the knock offs. Knock off's of our designs aren't hurting our business - we're busier than ever, so I guess we're doing something right!

:clap:

Thanks for another vendor perspective.
I remember sending some copy's to caysie to show her. I think I said "you know you've made it when DK copies your stuff"

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Erica I beg to differ. But let's show the side by side. I've been to several jewelry shows and seen a few things. But I know when I've seen elements directly borrowed/taken too. Timing has something to do with it too. I see your ideas coupled and also see you doing your own coupling. Your customers ask. It's just like DK's coupling if that's the word you want to use! I see some coupling. Often :-o

Which came first the chicken or the egg. Be first and you're copied if you're good.

_1232.png

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MayK, what exactly brought you over to this thread to begin with? You're not usually a colored stone girl, are you?

There are no really original ideas anymore. We're all inspired from pieces of the past.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mayk|1466634902|4046888 said:

Erica I beg to differ. But let's show the side by side. I've been to several jewelry shows and seen a few things. But I know when I've seen elements directly borrowed/taken too. Timing has something to do with it too. I see your ideas coupled and also see you doing your own coupling. Your customers ask. It's just like DK's coupling if that's the word you want to use! I see some coupling. Often :-o

Which came first the chicken or the egg. Be first and you're copied if you're good.

Ok MayK, Jin was the first ever round set in a cushion, before Singlestone did it even (which would be a feat of time travel). You seem to be personally vested in this, how odd. Hmmmm wait a sec. I designed a round in a cushion bezel pendant years ago...before Jin came out. That's so weird...how did I do that if Jin was the first ever??? Oh wait, you said it - you're copied if you're good! Or maybe I copied myself? Now I'm wondering if I should send myself a C&D letter...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

athenaworth|1466635360|4046890 said:
MayK, what exactly brought you over to this thread to begin with? You're not usually a colored stone girl, are you?

There are no really original ideas anymore. We're all inspired from pieces of the past.

I'm not a colored stone girl because I've been spending all my bling cash finishing my diamond collection. Recently adding 2 ct diamond hoops and a 3 ct tennis bracelet. Next on my list a Zircon for this December girl or an Emerald. I also have a platinum sapphire DBTY ERD made for me and two Sapphire eternity bands also made by ERD. I'm here I just don't have knowledge or goods to post. So that's why I'm here and said so in my post.

I liked the Zircon on your site and watched it awhile but I was working on a larger ering and a number of other things. Including a French cut band. Which may come before I cross over into spending my bling money on colored stones. I have a list.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

I saw a pretty Valentino dress on runway and go back home cutting & sewing a few pieces to make a dress of my own. Am I allowed to wear it in public? Does Valentino forbid everyone from wearing similar dresses they bought from Zara, Michael Kors? Design business is tricky, everyone somewhat "steals".

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad|1466635657|4046893 said:
Mayk|1466634902|4046888 said:

Ok MayK, Jin was the first ever round set in a cushion, before Singlestone did it even (which would be a feat of time travel). You seem to be personally vested in this, how odd. Hmmmm wait a sec. I designed a round in a cushion bezel pendant years ago...before Jin came out. That's so weird...how did I do that if Jin was the first ever??? Oh wait, you said it - you're copied if you're good!

Didn't say it was the first ever. Said it was "heavily influenced". You can call it anyway you like.

Let's see. Bezel with mill grain... Check... Slight dip at the bottom of the bezel (not as crisp) check... Overall shape and look yes check again . Gold color and finish. Nope not there. so as you said. "Some coupling". Not all.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluenights|1466635943|4046895 said:
I saw a pretty Valentino dress on runway and go back home cutting & sewing a few pieces to make a dress of my own. Am I allowed to wear it in public? Does Valentino forbid everyone from wearing similar dresses they bought from Zara, Michael Kors? Design business is tricky, everyone somewhat "steals".

Can you make me one. 5'11" 148 lbs. somewhere between a 6 and 8 depending on gym trips. I will pay you for it. :naughty: :Up_to_something:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Now I'm going to be the 1 to say "lets not lose our perspective" :D

Elle wasn't upset about someone copying design aspects of her design, someone had tried to replicate it exactly!

I know this thread is evolving into talking about generally what copying means but that's a shame; the original point is getting lost. Her ring was copied; not cool.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Mayk|1466636415|4046901 said:

Can you make me one. 5'11" 148 lbs. somewhere between a 6 and 8 depending on gym trips. I will pay you for it. :naughty: :Up_to_something:
I'll try to make as close to the V dress as possible:)
Hope that's cool with you and Mr Valentino :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As for "vested" I will just say I'm one of the posters here that spreads the wealth. I've used many vendors. I have my favs just like others. My tastes have been influenced by the designers I've been exposed to. I've purchased from WF, VC, DBL, JbEG, JBG, ERD and I've used the services of Dave Atlas. I've asked for quotes from Maytal, SK and LM. My latest pieces one from a local jeweler and one from eBay. So vested not sure what you mean. And as for asking someone to copy a design for me. Nope. Went straight to the source when I wanted my bezel setting. I didn't post and ask who can make this setting cheaper? Nor have I purchased from vendors I feel do that. I did consider DK for a FC band because he's so cheap. But I love VC's and one day I will have one. Not from someone I've asked to replicate a design but from a designer who has actually created a design that spoke to me.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

theredspinel|1466636713|4046905 said:

Elle wasn't upset about someone copying design aspects of her design, someone had tried to replicate it exactly!

I know this thread is evolving into talking about generally what copying means but that's a shame; the original point is getting lost. Her ring was copied; not cool.

I have to address the fact that this ring won't exist anymore and feel sorry for Ella. I did not make it for commercial use and have promised to destroy the ring. What more can I do? More public humiliation coming because of what? How useless it is to accuse everyone who copy ring designs, since most are doing it! Even trade people. Take all the moral high ground if you have never own or tried to copy things in your life

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL, while your ring seems heavily inspired by Elle's, your ring has much less visible metal particularly in the areas around the marquise diamonds, and your ring has the round diamonds in a milgrained metal marquise surround which is a design feature not present in the Elle setting. At a quick glance, Elle's ring clearly looks like 4 marquise and 4 rounds in a halo around a center stone, and your ring looks more like 8 marquise diamonds in a halo around a center stone.

If you are choosing of your own will to destroy a brand new ring because you think it is the right thing to do, more power to you. If you like the ring however and would have enjoyed wearing it and having it in your collection but for Elle's claim, well, most often the value range of 20%-to- 30% is thrown around as the amount a copy should be different from an original in order not to be a direct copy, and IMHO your ring is sufficiently different not to be a direct copy of Elle's design.

And, in my view, no reason to feel sorry for Elle; she is a business person who is familiar with the jewelry industry and who chooses to works on a regular basis with a vendor who makes direct copies of other designers' work product. Your ring at least has several design differences so as not to be a direct copy.

My two cents.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1466645850|4046936 said:
OTL, while your ring seems heavily inspired by Elle's, your ring has much less visible metal particularly in the areas around the marquise diamonds, and your ring has the round diamonds in a milgrained metal marquise surround which is a design feature not present in the Elle setting. At a quick glance, Elle's ring clearly looks like 4 marquise and 4 rounds in a halo around a center stone, and your ring looks more like 8 marquise diamonds in a halo around a center stone.

If you are choosing of your own will to destroy a brand new ring because you think it is the right thing to do, more power to you. If you like the ring however and would have enjoyed wearing it and having it in your collection but for Elle's claim, well, most often the value range of 20%-to- 30% is thrown around as the amount a copy should be different from an original in order not to be a direct copy, and IMHO your ring is sufficiently different not to be a direct copy of Elle's design.

And, in my view, no reason to feel sorry for Elle; she is a business person who is familiar with the jewelry industry and who chooses to works on a regular basis with a vendor who makes direct copies of other designers' work product. Your ring at least has several design differences so as not to be a direct copy.

My two cents.

I avoided getting into this argument/discussion, but now that someone said essentially what I was thinking I'll chime in. Please don't destroy it if you weren't otherwise planning to. I honestly do think yours looks different "enough" that it doesn't constitute an exact copy. People take inspiration from others' designs all the time, particularly in art (which, IMHO, jewelry is). I am sorry that Elle is upset, but looking closely at these two rings it seems clear to me that OTL's was certainly "inspired by" Elle's, but different.

ETA: I think multiple vendors coming here to question Mayk's intentions is really unfortunate. She's just stating her opinions, and her being accused of not coming here "enough" or having some ulterior motive is a little ridiculous, IMHO. OTL, seriously don't feel bad, you don't deserve to whatsoever.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL|1466644348|4046931 said:
theredspinel|1466636713|4046905 said:

I have to address the fact that this ring won't exist anymore and feel sorry for Ella. I did not make it for commercial use and have promised to destroy the ring. What more can I do? More public humiliation coming because of what? How useless it is to accuse everyone who copy ring designs, since most are doing it! Even trade people. Take all the moral high ground if you have never own or tried to copy things in your life

I'm sorry you where called out and particularly sorry you feel embarrassed. You shouldn't. Youve done nothing to be embarrassed about. You asked what was different about your ring from all the other copied rings? Nothing. Nothing other than the designer came on PS to confront you about it.

You can destroy it, you can sell it, you can keep it, you can tell people you're destroying it and not. It's up to you.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Frankly OTL, I don't want you to destroy the ring. I hope that despite the hoopla, you can get past it and enjoy it, even if it takes a while. So I hope that you don't destroy it, though I understand why you might anyway.

Also, I don't think that runway Valentino and homemade is a good comparison point - my pricing is nowhere close to haute couture.

In closing, because I think that this topic has more than run it's course, copyright law is incredibly complicated, but when it comes to designs, it often becomes about intent. Which existed first and did the alleged copier have access to images of or the actual original before the copy was produced. It has nothing to do with 20% or 30% worth of differences. If a reasonable person could look at it and see that there is a distinct resemblance, it becomes about timeline and intent. But the law is very murky, and the only company that pursues a legal course of action regularly is Tacori.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL, as a long admirer of your stones and pieces (and wishing my fingers were small enough to buy when they show up preloved), thank you for sharing your gorgeous beauties. Destroying the ring seems extreme and I hope this thread would not prevent you from enjoying it...it's an internet board with its varying opinions that we all need to take with a grain of salt. It's a beautiful ring and as I result of this thread, I went to Elle's site to see more of her beautiful designs which I might consider in the future.

The topic is interesting and does make one think. I am a huge believer in supporting vendors who's products/service you love, even if it costs a bit more...especially small independents...because otherwise they will go out of business. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, most of us get inspired by designs we see....and how many of us have bought knockoffs of some product? I guess my point is that we all have different ethical compasses, have supported copying to some degree without the intention of doing harm and while it's good to be aware, it's not fair to point fingers or expect everyone to live according to our own personal guidelines. OTL has already offered to do more than I would have personally. While I understand how Elle feels (and would feel the same), I think the awareness this topic has created will do more for Elle and other designers than destroying a beautiful ring that has already been made imo.

Now that I've rambled, I agree that these posts probably belong on a different thread in another forum.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

blingbunny -
Bummer the garnets didn't work out. They do look like they have interesting color, but I can also see if you were going for plum they might not totally delight. And with the cutting to boot :(

But your Dana stone! How about a honkin pearl clasp (maybe something with a hint of yellow?). Have you considered carrying a scepter? ;-)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry - after I submitted, I saw Elle put a very nice closure to the topic.

The topaz is beautiful and very appropriate for a blingbunny!! Love all the facets and size :love:

Vickygigi recently sold some pieces on LT and I love her pieces (own quite a few). I contacted her too late on the black diamond ring after realizing I had a stone to fit the setting. So she offered me this one at a great price as it had no offers. My original plan was to take it apart (recut the tsav, etc) but in person decided it was perfect as is. We both take crappy pictures, lol. The color on the tsav is much nicer IRL (does not go dark at all and is very sparkly...as is the pave setting).

amytsav_ring.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1466649297|4046957 said:

The topaz is beautiful and very appropriate for a blingbunny!! Love all the facets and size :love:

Vickygigi recently sold some pieces on LT and I love her pieces (own quite a few). I contacted her too late on the black diamond ring after realizing I had a stone to fit the setting. So she offered me this one at a great price as it had no offers. My original plan was to take it apart (recut the tsav, etc) but in person decided it was perfect as is. We both take crappy pictures, lol. The color on the tsav is much nicer IRL (does not go dark at all and is very sparkly...as is the pave setting).

amytsav_ring.jpg

Beautiful! I agree I would not change a thing on this ring. :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1466646401|4046940 said:
ETA: I think multiple vendors coming here to question Mayk's intentions is really unfortunate. She's just stating her opinions, and her being accused of not coming here "enough" or having some ulterior motive is a little ridiculous, IMHO..

I agree with you lovedogs, and I'm glad you raised this point as you said what I was thinking!

Mayk: please come around whenever you like! Look forward to hearing more about your zircon project. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL|1466564531|4046534 said:
[ I actually don't like the outcome of my ring and am thinking of redoing it, you made my decision really easy.

I wouldn't worry about OTL - she seems perfectly capable of taking care of herself. As expressed in her quote a few pages back, she apparently did not like the ring anyway, so no harm no foul!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1466649297|4046957 said:

amytsav_ring.jpg

lms: two things:

1) it occurs to me that I had no idea that Elle had a website - can you post a link? You have me curious since you mentioned that her designs have you thinking about working with her in the future; and

2) Noooo! Don't do anything to that ring. I can only imagine how beautiful that tsav must be in hand if its that pretty and saturated in a "bad" pic. :))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1466647952|4046950 said:
OTL, as a long admirer of your stones and pieces (and wishing my fingers were small enough to buy when they show up preloved), thank you for sharing your gorgeous beauties. Destroying the ring seems extreme and I hope this thread would not prevent you from enjoying it...it's an internet board with its varying opinions that we all need to take with a grain of salt. It's a beautiful ring and as I result of this thread, I went to Elle's site to see more of her beautiful designs which I might consider in the future.

The topic is interesting and does make one think. I am a huge believer in supporting vendors who's products/service you love, even if it costs a bit more...especially small independents...because otherwise they will go out of business. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, most of us get inspired by designs we see....and how many of us have bought knockoffs of some product? I guess my point is that we all have different ethical compasses, have supported copying to some degree without the intention of doing harm and while it's good to be aware, it's not fair to point fingers or expect everyone to live according to our own personal guidelines. OTL has already offered to do more than I would have personally. While I understand how Elle feels (and would feel the same), I think the awareness this topic has created will do more for Elle and other designers than destroying a beautiful ring that has already been made imo.

Now that I've rambled, I agree that these posts probably belong on a different thread in another forum.

The perfect post; sums up what I was trying to say! OTL you don't need to destroy the ring unless you want to and as minou pointed out you were thinking about that anyway so will be interesting to see what you do purely from a being a pser perspective.

I've felt elle's pain I think because that, black opal/hayuinte/pallasite peridot pendant I posted? I would literally be devestated if someone copied that exactly ;(

You can take the idea, use the same colours, same shape even, take inspiration from the border, even take inspiration from each stone but to purposefully look at it and replicate it exactly down to having a pallasite peridot too... ohh I'd feel this :angryfire: purely because it was such a personal and deep process for me (which I couldn't have done without Sally). For someone to come along, and replicate it in 5 mins taking all the emotion we put into it.... I just can't imagine it. I'd be so upset.

It's not just about copying something that's mine, if I had just thought of a rough design in 5 mins and had it made - if the emotion behind it wasn't there - then copy away I'd be flattered.

Anyway just wanted to explain myself because I feel some people OTL included really are missing the point. It's not about making you feel bad please just try to understand what can have no or little meaning/thought for you has major meaning for someone else.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1466668683|4047025 said:
lovedogs|1466646401|4046940 said:
ETA: I think multiple vendors coming here to question Mayk's intentions is really unfortunate. She's just stating her opinions, and her being accused of not coming here "enough" or having some ulterior motive is a little ridiculous, IMHO..

I agree with you lovedogs, and I'm glad you raised this point as you said what I was thinking!

Mayk: please come around whenever you like! Look forward to hearing more about your zircon project. :))

Thank you. I am lurking on all the Zircon threads. To me colored stones are so much more difficult. Question about saturation, what's preferred, Windows, etc. are intimidating. Some of the larger ones I've looked at are quite deep have no idea if that is good or bad. I have a lot to learn before buying.

Here's one I've had bookmarked a long time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185066456/vintage-blue-zircon-and-diamond-ring-in?ref=cat_gallery_11

And I watched this one sell

https://www.etsy.com/listing/193198115/payment-1-of-3-515-reserved-for-c-old?ref=cat_gallery_2

And this is on my watch list.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/250675833/vintage-14k-white-gold-blue-zircon-and?ref=cat_gallery_5

Actually about 10 more but these were my favorites of the favorites.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results