My Upsetting Brilliantly Engaged Experience

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1466466961|4046113 said:
WillyDiamond|1466463783|4046082 said:
soxfan|1466451249|4045999 said:
WillyDiamond|1466449299|4045993 said:
I think this thread is dead, we are all talking among ourselves, OP has no intention of posting.......onto the next.

People have lives outside of PS. And it's a shit ton of work piecing together screenshots for people like you who will just pick everything apart anyway because they have some rabid dog loyalty for a particular vendor.

Woa! Soxfan, sorry for your anger problem. Sounds like you had a bad day. Hope tomorrow is better.

Just pouring oil on an already flammable situation, Willy. Try to get back to the topic.

I did in earlier post, you might want to re-read.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a mess. I just don't get what happened. It's like they just didn't want to put in any effort with your ring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin, it is too bad this was your experience; I know how dispiriting and crushing it can be when a vendor you have faith in fails to deliver and then fails to adequately set right the situation.

The truth is, no vendor delivers 100% satisfaction in product/customer service, and this includes Brilliantly Engaged.

Personally I've had terrible experiences with Brian Gavin Diamonds, CvB, and David Klass; yet multitudes of others have all had satisfying-to-spectacular results with those vendors. Still, I'd never do business with those three myself, and I don't recommend them to others (except BGD with rare exception).

I wish you great luck in getting the dream ring built by your local designer.

[In the interests of full disclosure, Brilliantly Engaged has built two solitaire rings and one three-stone ring for me and I couldn't be more happy with their work and their customer service.]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, just wow :o ...sorry you had to go through that. I can't belive how much they are in denial. They act like it's your fault the phone lines were down, and your fault that Mark was out, and because THEY had all these problems you are just supose to accept a setting that THEY screwed up on??? You seemed more then kind in your emails. I would have lost it way before then. And on top of all that, you have to do all the work to get your money back! I can't even type what I'm really thinking or I'll be banned!

I wish you all the best and hope your next setting is truly your dream ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am always prepared to look at a situation from both sides. From the side of BE, it sounds like Mark being out was a factor in Chris being so busy that he could not focus his attention adequately on the emails (it would have been nice if they could admit that they dropped the ball). If a plastic model was promised, it should NOT have been done until the final CADS were approved. But not only were the CADs not approved, they skipped the model and went straight to casting the ring. That is where the major problem was, and I do not see why Mark does not see this. There were two chances for this error to have been avoided. The OP needed the CADs revised before a model was made. That is when the impossibility of the petal basket needed to come up. But even if they mistakenly went on to the plastic model without the CAD revision, the model would have again given BE a chance to go back, get the design straightened out with the OP, and then remake the model BEFORE casting the ring. The fact that they went straight to cast and still didn't show the OP until the ring was almost finished is extremely clear. So even with understanding phone problems and being short staffed, this clearly is a major communication problem on BE's part. The OP went above and beyond in the patience department and deserves a medal. I find them not having records on the initial deposit to be totally unacceptable and that refund should have gone out immediately. You are VERY lucky you had everything in writing instead of phone calls only, Malin!

Mailin, because I don't want you to have another disaster, have you seen a lot of the work of your current ringmaker? Do you have references? Do they do the level of pave work you are expecting? I'd like to see you end up with a smooth process and very fine ring this time. Just making sure they have the skill to do what you want!

sskim3

Rough_Rock
Wow. I was looking into BE since they are in NYC however due to initial conversations and estimates I went with David Klass instead. I am hoping my experience goes well.

Good luck with the ring! I am sure after all of this you will appreciate it at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1466474862|4046159 said:
I am always prepared to look at a situation from both sides. From the side of BE, it sounds like Mark being out was a factor in Chris being so busy that he could not focus his attention adequately on the emails (it would have been nice if they could admit that they dropped the ball). If a plastic model was promised, it should NOT have been done until the final CADS were approved. But not only were the CADs not approved, they skipped the model and went straight to casting the ring. That is where the major problem was, and I do not see why Mark does not see this. There were two chances for this error to have been avoided. The OP needed the CADs revised before a model was made. That is when the impossibility of the petal basket needed to come up. But even if they mistakenly went on to the plastic model without the CAD revision, the model would have again given BE a chance to go back, get the design straightened out with the OP, and then remake the model BEFORE casting the ring. The fact that they went straight to cast and still didn't show the OP until the ring was almost finished is extremely clear. So even with understanding phone problems and being short staffed, this clearly is a major communication problem on BE's part. The OP went above and beyond in the patience department and deserves a medal. I find them not having records on the initial deposit to be totally unacceptable and that refund should have gone out immediately. You are VERY lucky you had everything in writing instead of phone calls only, Malin!

Mailin, because I don't want you to have another disaster, have you seen a lot of the work of your current ringmaker? Do you have references? Do they do the level of pave work you are expecting? I'd like to see you end up with a smooth process and very fine ring this time. Just making sure they have the skill to do what you want!

I think this is what bothers me the most. I (think) that I am fair in assuming that no vendor is perfect, and that everyone will drop the ball from time to time. I totally accept that, and am willing to overlook these things and still trust a vendor--but only if they can admit to dropping said ball and then do everything in their power to rectify the situation. The facts are very clear here, and if BE had just said "we are really sorry, you are right that we should have done the wax model, etc" and provided a refund immediately, I wouldn't have a problem chalking this up to bad timing and miscommunication (although obviously if I were the OP I'd still be very annoyed and displeased with the experience). But the denial of all wrongdoing PLUS not giving a refund and telling OP to go through his credit card company because they "dont have records" is 100% unacceptable IMHO.

mermi2015

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear such a terrible experience. Thank you so much for sharing. Certainly will be cautious of BE when shopping.

Falco

Rough_Rock
Wow Mailin, I have to congratulate you on staying so professional in your communications with the vendor. The communications from the vendor almost began to feel like a gaslighting experience - to preserve your own sanity I am glad you have it all in writing. I began feeling anxious just reading them!

Trying to be charitable to the vendor, I can sympathize with being overwhelmed and making mistakes - what I can't excuse is the vendor not accepting responsibility and making it right - particularly when presented with the evidence of their oversights by such an organized, patient and accommodating customer.

I hope you ultimately get the ring of you and your partners dreams, hassle free from now on!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes this is very upsetting on many different levels and I am sorry you were treated like this by Brilliantly Engaged. So unprofessional of them and also upsetting to see that you were intentionally lied to. :nono:

We all make mistakes but to refuse to acknowledge them and then refuse to give you a refund on a timely basis and to continue insisting they did nothing wrong wow.

Mailin you behaved so well throughout this whole ordeal. Kudos to you because I don't know how you kept your patience with them.

I hope your next experience is a much better one and that your FI finally gets the ring of her dreams. I agree with DS's advice. Please make sure you have seen the work of your current bench person and that they can make the ring you want. Sending you lots of good PS blingy vibes for a beautiful ring just the way you and your partner envision it. :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree with everyone saying that their service was particularly concerning.

It's one thing to make a mistake. Take too long, produce something not to their quality standards, design something you don't like. These things can happen.

What bothers me as I'm sure what bothers most readers besides maybe the fervent fan, is that they consistently provide poor service, execute a ring the op expressly did not want, and refuse to take any responsibility for it. That goes from an honest mistake to truly looking like they planned all along to screw the op. Or at least after realizing he was actually going to require a bit more work than normal. Compounded by the fact the owner makes excuses and basically pretends he can't understand what you're saying, says to me they where never going to make what you want and hoped blindsiding you was going to result in the op backing down and paying for a ring he didn't even like.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1466508963|4046239 said:
Yes I agree with everyone saying that their service was particularly concerning.

It's one thing to make a mistake. Take too long, produce something not to their quality standards, design something you don't like. These things can happen.

What bothers me as I'm sure what bothers most readers besides maybe the fervent fan, is that they consistently provide poor service, execute a ring the op expressly did not want, and refuse to take any responsibility for it. That goes from an honest mistake to truly looking like they planned all along to screw the op. Or at least after realizing he was actually going to require a bit more work than normal. Compounded by the fact the owner makes excuses and basically pretends he can't understand what you're saying, says to me they where never going to make what you want and hoped blindsiding you was going to result in the op backing down and paying for a ring he didn't even like.

Are you referring to me? I just post my experience with BE. Have also bought from WF and BGD equally with good experience and recommend them on posts also. You have also recommended vendors with your experience. I don't seem to recall flaming you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not about making mistakes. Mistakes happen. Everyone makes mistakes. It's how the vendor handles those mistakes that matters. In this case BE handled it horribly and that is on Mark the owner. Sad to say but there is no acceptable excuse for BE handling it the way they did. So sorry for Mailin and his FI and hoping they get a beautiful ring with a more professional vendor who can make them the ring of their dreams.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1466511912|4046251 said:

Are you referring to me? I just post my experience with BE. Have also bought from WF and BGD equally with good experience and recommend them on posts also. You have also recommended vendors with your experience. I don't seem to recall flaming you.

Actually no. I would assume you have enough sense to see this is terrible. I was saying the only people who would defend this action would be a fan with something to gain.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry that this has been such an awful experience for you, OP.
While I had a great experience with BE in 2011, that's 5 years ago and a lot can change in 5 years. I hope this is a low for BE and that they take a step back to look at how things are operating as a whole, and use this as a learning experience to improve whatever processes they have in place.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel terrible for the OP. That is something that just shouldn't have happened. Full disclosure is I too am a happy BE customer but even with that, anyone with 2 eyes can see this particular customers' experience wasn't what it should have been.

I'd be upset too, I don't blame you there, and you were very professional and generous in your dealings with them. I'm not gonna lie, I would NOT have been so kind.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have never had any contact with Brilliantly Engaged, so I don't have any preconceptions at all. I agree that sometimes there are just screw ups and everyone deserves he benefit of the doubt, but to be deserving of that, you do have to take ownership of the screw ups and do your very best to make good on the situation, which they have clearly not done.

I also have to say that it's absolutely inconceivable me that a business that deals with a product that people are both very emotionally, and financially invested in, would allow themselves to go 16 days without, at the very least, having a cell phone that could be used for business purposes (and putting a banner on the website with that number and an explanation).

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, OP, and I hope you end up with a beautiful ring!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1466515514|4046267 said:
WillyDiamond|1466511912|4046251 said:

Actually no. I would assume you have enough sense to see this is terrible. I was saying the only people who would defend this action would be a fan with something to gain.

Thanks for the clarification

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only thing I would like to say is that before we tar and feather BE and put them out to sea with no paddles, I hope they will weigh in with their side of the story. I have been on these boards for a few years, all PS vendors take a shot eventually, but this is a hard blow to the body. I have had good experience with BE, as well as BGD and WF, who are also on the PS vendor list.
Perhaps they will see this thread and we will get their take on things.

Chris_BE

Rough_Rock
Trade
Good morning Mailin and fellow PS community, I am not here to defend my actions or criticize my interaction with Mailin or anyone else for that matter but merely offer my discontent on how this simple project ended in such a horrible fashion, listed below is where I believe it happened;

1- in the original email request by Mailin the inquiry was for the "Meghan" design which was 1st designed and fabricated for a client approximately 3-4 years ago in rose gold with petals completely hand forged etc.... In which I provided Mailin with a quote based on a design we have indeed fabricated many times after that

2- after the deposit and receiving the sapphire center..... Mailin's follow up email and ring design change from a single shank to a split shank along with various examples he provided with micro pave style images and claw prongs etc. this is where I believe I may have become confused, the Meghan design is a single shank, hence the detailed email form Mailin displaying images of split shank along with the thin split and thin shank and close micro pave and daintiness and delicateness arrived and I figured that the "Meghan" he was referring to may not be the correct design style but merely an example just as the other images he had attached. This was my error 100% which I should have expressed from the very beginning was unattainable as petals in such a compact area would not add to any of the design elements that I believed we're now changed. When I followed up with Mailin I expressed that a split shank adds to the price but I would gladly stick to the original quote because I was happy to fabricate a beautiful piece for him and his sapphire.

3- I believed I understood exactly what Mailin wanted and I proceeded as such......regardless of many other factors that occurred and are still ongoing I apologized to Mailin as soon as i received his email stating so and apologized 100% that this was my error and as such offered to immediately refund the deposit and send back his sapphire no questions asked and my intent was not to throw away a beautiful halo or cut our losses short as this is ridiculous, I merely thought that during my brief conversation with him that Saturday that the simple fact of a split from a single shank could and should have been avoided and I should have expressed so but I did not as I truly believed that my interpretation is what Mailin wanted .... Images are attached as well.

mfh2.jpg mfph.jpg

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
Although it was not my experience with Brilliantly Engaged, my blood was boiling after reading all the conversations between Mailin and Mark Turnowski, the owner of Brilliantly Engaged :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: . I am on your side, Mailin, and thank you so much for posting this so we can stay FAR AWAY from the troubles.

You've been extremely professional from the beginning till the end (I admire you for that, I could've completely lost it), but all the people you dealt with at BE were anything but professional. The fact that Mark Turnowski was raving about how "to date the company as a whole has not received any negative comments from the consumer community" shows how arrogant and self-absorbed they are. I agree with other people here their way of handling their own mistake was unacceptable. I agree nothing is 100% perfect (obviously Brilliantly Engaged would strongly disagree with me, because, again, they only get positive comments), and mistakes do happen, but at least they should have the decency to admit their own mistake instead of trying to pass the ball on to you.

So, kudos to you for taking your time and posting your experience here, I was actually very interested in their "Annette" setting the other day when I looked at their website, and was thinking about ordering it. No way it is happening now thanks to you! I'll make sure I tell everybody I know who has intention of searching/buying for a ring stay away from these "we can do no wrong" Brilliantly Engaged folks!

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1466467235|4046118 said:
Wendylynne|1466465032|4046096 said:
Well.... I can tell you Mark's a liar- I contacted him in regards to my horrible experience with Chris... We also had a back and forth on the situation. He also said how amazing Chris was and had never had any complaints...

Thank you for posting. I hope your new ring is everything you and your partner want and more!!

Yeah I can't even believe he wrote that. What company that's been around more than a year hasn't had a negative experience .
I tried to work with them once. The first email I got back was "why don't you just use a stock setting"

Lol. My interpretation for this is it's their way of saying "What's the matter with you that you can't see everything we have in stock is a perfection already?". :idea: :idea: :idea: :pray:

Chris_BE

Rough_Rock
Trade
In over 6 years of working @ Brilliantly Engaged with various customer's and 1000's of satisfied clients I consider 3 negative posts/reviews an overwhelming success rate.....this merely shows that we are all too human and we will surely endure and fabricate even more brilliant pieces from our existing and new clients.

Thank you again,
--Chris

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never mind not worth it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris_BE|1466526293|4046312 said:
In over 6 years of working @ Brilliantly Engaged with various customer's and 1000's of satisfied clients I consider 3 negative posts/reviews an overwhelming success rate.....this merely shows that we are all too human and we will surely endure and fabricate even more brilliant pieces from our existing and new clients.

Thank you again,
--Chris

Chris, is this how you respond to issues? Pat yourself on the back and say "Well it's a good thing it wasn't more." Is that your way of admitting to your mistakes? I don't get how you think this is a good way of doing business and retaining customers. I too am in the customer service industry. When I mess up I admit it and do everything I can to correct and compensate. EACH separate customer is crucial. Never do I think, well, you're only #5 disgruntled out of 3,000 so...whatever! Even if you're not saying that, it comes across clear as day to me that you are. It's really the attitude that you've taken that has me most bothered. You need to check yourself.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
msop04|1466356862|4045682 said:
Ella|1466355056|4045664 said:
You can post it on multiple posts, or we would also suggest not posting screenshots and posting your story. Use the report post button to contact us directly, but that is what we can offer. This is why we recommend everyone read the policies.

What's the problem with posting screen shots? PS members do it all the time. It's the easiest way to attach things as an image on apps ...and more importantly, I hope you meant for him to post his story, rather than "not post"...

Yes, we said posting his story, the "not" was only about screenshots. Generally we don't recommend screenshots because when someone takes an actual screenshot they usually have emails and personal information attached, which we then have to edit out again per our policies and to keep privacy intact. Users then again still often have to post a third time, which of course frustrates everyone involved.

Elepig

Rough_Rock
3- I believed I understood exactly what Mailin wanted and I proceeded as such...

And therein lay the problem. I thought, during a custom project, you get the customer's approval before proceeding to the next step. Working out the kinks, approval, proceed. Rinse/repeat. That is where he would have found out what couldn't be done and why....and where you would have paid attention to what his priorities were and not proceed until you had the green light of approval.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1466465344|4046099 said:
Yeah.
They didn't just drop the ball they dribbled it all over the place. Yikes.

I am sorry for your frustration.

The only thing I can think that you could have done is to have called them, repeatedly and talked things out during the process. But in this day and age email is standard and I can totally understand wanting to keep everything in writing.

That said, they clearly had their ear plugs in and didn't listen to you AT ALL.

You are right 100%.

Did you try Steven or Maytal?
--- I do not know who Steven or Maytal are. I will check into those names when I am off of work later today.

soxfan|1466466766|4046109 said:
WOW. THANK YOU for posting your experience. What a nightmare. I remember you posting about the sapphire getting chipped. :( I hope you have better luck this time!
--- The chip in the culet and scratch in the pavilion :( Hopefully some happiness comes soon!

diamondseeker2006|1466474862|4046159 said:
I am always prepared to look at a situation from both sides. ... ...You are VERY lucky you had everything in writing instead of phone calls only, Malin!

--- They have sent me images of the work they do. I am waiting on the CAD rendering to be completed. I was recommended by them from a few of my significant others friends who have done business with them in the past. I have seen some of their work that they forwarded me. My significant other saw some of their work in person (she works in Boston a couple days a week) and she liked the work too. I am a bit more picky than she is though and if the design is never as expected... I am not scared to say no. I am trying to take all precautions I can to prevent anything being produced that I dislike.

Chris_BE|1466522319|4046300 said:
... listed below is where I believe it happened;

1- ...

2- after the deposit and receiving the sapphire center..... Mailin's follow up email and ring design change from a single shank to a split shank along with various examples he provided with micro pave style images and claw prongs etc. ...

3- ...
--- 1. Not responding to.
2. To the best of my knowledge, the design has never changed. From the day I went onto your website and filled out the request email, to the day I (copy and pasted) the same design request via our email conversations following. I do not want to go down this road again though, because it didn't work the first time.
3. Not responding to, because I do not want to be fired from work. (typing this while at work)

This is to NOT imply that even if the design changed BEFORE any of the CAD renderings, plastic molds were created... That it would have been the cause of my actions of why the ring was not created not as requested.

Disregarding everything else you said, to avoid me "defending" myself and or getting upset... I will say, nice photos. Glad to see them for the first time.

tracylt|1466523111|4046301 said:
Although it was not my experience with Brilliantly Engaged, my blood was boiling after reading all the conversations between Mailin and Mark Turnowski, ...
... I'll make sure I tell everybody I know who has intention of searching/buying for a ring stay away from these "we can do no wrong" Brilliantly Engaged folks!
--- I want to thank you for your post. I know you feel for my situation, but my end goal was not to enrage pricescopers and to drive away business. My goal was to simply share this word for word experience. I sometimes wish I had a weak will and would say screw my principles, because seeing the ring for the first time above... makes me envious.

Niel|1466526622|4046314 said:
Never mind not worth it.
--- I read this before the edit. I agreed :D

--- I have read through every comment to this point. I thank you for all your kind words and best of wishes.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Ella|1466530009|4046334 said:
msop04|1466356862|4045682 said:
Ella|1466355056|4045664 said:
Yes, we said posting his story, the "not" was only about screenshots. Generally we don't recommend screenshots because when someone takes an actual screenshot they usually have emails and personal information attached, which we then have to edit out again per our policies and to keep privacy intact. Users then again still often have to post a third time, which of course frustrates everyone involved.
--- On that note, can you please address my post directly following my review post on the 2nd page? Asking about updating the 1st page. I am unable to edit and update myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results