kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHAT? :o :knockout:

To drunk to be held responsible? :nono: :nono: :nono:
COOL! Let's all get drunk and rob a bank today! :appl:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36570055

Partial snip:

A former US college football player has been convicted after a jury found that he encouraged teammates to rape an unconscious woman he had been dating.
Brandon Vandenburg was found guilty on five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.
Vandenburg, 23, was a student at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee.

He was first convicted last year alongside teammate Corey Batey, but the original verdict was thrown out when a juror was found to be a rape victim.
In a retrial, the jury took four hours to find Vandenberg guilty.
He was also convicted on one count of unlawful photography.
Four former players were charged in the case but only two were accused of raping and sexually assaulting the woman.
Batey was convicted again in April.
The two men now face a minimum of 15 years in prison.

The verdict comes amid controversy over a six-month sentence given to another college athlete, Brock Turner, for the sexual assault of an unconscious woman at Stanford University.
Vandenburg's lawyers argued that he was too drunk to be responsible for his actions.
But CCTV footage showed the defendant carrying the victim into a hotel room along with several teammates.

The trial also featured graphic videos and photos that were taken by the players with their phones.
Vandenburg's lawyers admitted in court that the images were "disturbing".
Will Stanford case silence future assault victims?
The victim, then a 21-year-old neuroscience student, testified that she had no memory of the event.
She said Vandenburg told her when she woke up that she had got drunk and sick and he had taken care of her.
Prosecutors suggested in court that she was under the influence of a date-rape drug.

screen_shot_2016-06-19_at_2.png

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Lawyer: My client was 2 drunk to be held responsible 4 r

Disgusting on so many levels.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like it or not, some version of this defense has been used in traffic fatalities for a long time - it's why many DUIs that result in a fatality are prosecuted as "vehicular manslaughter" rather than murder, particularly for first-time DUI offenders. Whether it's appropriate is another question... but this is not a novel defense.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

By way of explanation, and not excuse, in many jurisdictions, intoxication is a defense to certain crimes. Ones that require a specific mens rea (specific intent).

Unfathomable crime. Who does this?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I'm revving my blender to make the margaritas (120 in Phoenix today :angryfire: ) and after we've each had oh, say, 5, we're going to Cartier and Bulgari in Scottsdale and we just take what we want ! Wheeeeeee!!!! Who's with me??

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1466382949|4045807 said:
Okay, I'm revving my blender to make the margaritas (120 in Phoenix today :angryfire: ) and after we've each had oh, say, 5, we're going to Cartier and Bulgari in Scottsdale and we just take what we want ! Wheeeeeee!!!! Who's with me??

I don't drink so I will be the designated driver. I can pretend to be Uber. :roll:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

sigh His parents must be SO proud :angryfire:

When I read the first trial had been thrown out, I thought surely those two would plea bargain to lesser charges. But that would have meant they would have to plead guilty. They will have an .......interesting, shall we say, time in prison.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amber St. Clare|1466460628|4046057 said:
... They will have an .......interesting, shall we say, time in prison.

I think they'll learn more about ... rape.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This guy is the LOWEST form of life.

The victim was his girlfriend... I can't even imagine how violated she felt when she learned of this act...

WTF is wrong with people these days that they think that gangbanging unconscious girls is ok? Why is that a "thing?" I can't wrap my mind around this act at all. How does a group of guys share in something like this?

They say that rape is about power, but I don't see this as dominating. I don't know.. Maybe I shouldn't think too deeply on this...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results