shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for cat peeps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Politics is politics. It brings out my 'strident' side. But I do consider you a friend Ellen, and I will always help you when I can.

Especially when it comes to fur kids. :wink2:

Yeah, I've had a lot of bad luck with the teaser/ wand toys. I've gotten really picky. I have a couple now I love, but I don't see them listed anywhere online. I bought them several years ago, and they are still going strong.

We have a local chain called Pet Food Express. I really like their toy selections. They tend to me more durable.

I'll look next time I'm in, if they have the toy I have then I'll pick up a couple then mail them to you. ;))

marym

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, the tree I have (the one I linked) is not the same as the one you linked in your first post. It is taller, with three tiers at the top. I think it is a good value for the money, and not top heavy. My two really scramble around when they play on it and it doesn't move. The carpet is nice quality as well. Very soft. =)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm...that deal w/the lid on it is pretty slick. I might have to try that. The ones we have now are about 3ft long x 1ft wide and around 12" tall I think.

We have a ton of catnip growing. One little bit started wild here and we've been letting it go, now we've got it in three different places. You'd think we'd have every stray cat in the area zoning out on it but we don't haha.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Packrat,

My Hally (AV kitty) used to launch the litter in trying to cover things up. We ended up with stuff splattered all over the walls. We tried other covered boxes but she would just turn around and launch it all through the opening. The only thing that worked was the top entry.

And yeah, that $18 is a really nice deal and has great reviews. So IMO, it's totally worth trying.

:wavey:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see some of you have recommended the top entry letterbox. I was going to get one a couple of years back, mainly to prevent my dog from helping himself to snacks. Some googling led to information about covered boxes, including these top entries which I thought were great from MY perspective (less odor, don't have to look at waste, neat and clean looking, etc.). But after doing some reading, I decided against it.

The main reasons that turned me off were 1) It traps odors and a cats nose is much more sensitive than ours. While these boxes are great for my nose and comfort, they are not great for the cat's nose and comfort. 2) Same with dust - traps more dust and can cause more respiratory problems for kitty. And 3) As the cats get older and potentially start having issues with their joints, jumping in and out of a top entry can be difficult and even painful for them.

http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox This site is what changed my mind. It's long winded and she's kind of a litter box extremist, IMO, but I adopted some of her ideas and have a happier, healthier cat to show for it.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/covered-litter-boxes-the-real-scoop/ Quicker read, similar point of view.

A couple of excerpts, on for stand-up pee'ers:
If you have a cat that stands up to urinate or have one that really likes to dig to China and fling litter around, I urge you to consider a deep storage container that is at least 17" wide and 22" long and 17" - 19" deep. The height will be determined by you and your cat - depending on how high his or her rear end goes when they urinate. I want my boxes to be 19" high but you may get away with using one that is 17" high.

The depth of the litter is maintained at 3.5" - 4". ~68 pounds of litter ends up giving a 3.5" depth. ~80 pounds of litter gives a 4" depth. Obviously you will not be dumping this litter on a regular basis so you must be careful how you clean the box.

The bottom of the door is 8" from the floor. The door is 9" x 9" and I used a utility knife (aka "box cutter") to cut the door. It was very easy to do. I just drew my lines and then scored the lines with the utility knife several times and it cut right through it. If you get a clear plastic box, however, the material is brittle and may crack so be careful.

Definitely cut a door in the box and don't ask your cats to jump in and out of it. Jumping into it is easy for young cats but pushing off of sand that gives way is not going to be a good thing for the joints in their hind legs or their back - no matter the age of the cat. An older, arthritic cat would probably end up refusing to use the box if forced to jump in and out of it.

And one about top entry boxes:
Some people have actually commented that they like covered litter boxes because there is "less odor"! This is very dangerous thinking, not to mention inconsiderate for the cat's comfort. Covered boxes will trap odors which can lead to the cat’s refusal to use it. If you are using a covered litter box to minimize odor for yourself, you must re-evaluate your thinking and consider the fact that your cat's sense of smell is MUCH more sensitive than yours. Stick your head inside the box and take a deep breath. If you are unwilling to do this, why would your cat want to use the box? And even if it smells ok to you, that does not mean that it smells clean to your cat.

Dust is also trapped in covered boxes instead of being dissipated a bit more as it will be in an uncovered box. This can be very hard on your cat's lungs. Of course, cats do breathe in dust in any type of box since their noses are very close to the litter as they are digging but the problem is accentuated in a hooded box.

I highly suggest that you remove any filter from the top of a commercially made covered litter box for better ventilation of odors and dust. Filters are useless gimmicks that the manufacturers claim "trap odors". Odors should be removed - not "trapped".

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll measure the ones we have-they're pretty dang big but she still manages to stream it like she means it. i've watched her "bow" down in the front and tilt her be-hind up farther. ARGH. The urine smell really seeps into the plastic too-it's horrible. :wall:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, packie, she sounds like a treat! There is nothing quite like the lovely scent of cat urine. I have to say, I'd be trying everything and anything if my cat did what yours does.... I just wanted to throw that info out there because I think it's worth noting!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah she is a treat. Dang cat doesn't even love me. :rolleyes: eh, she does, I'm lying. She rolls to her back and gives me her tummy w/her front paws bent like she's begging. She brings me things..or did, when we let her outside..but she's London's cat by far. You can about see the stars in her eyes when she looks at London!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rainy, Great post! I did some research on it, but decided to give it a try because Hally's flying poop bombs on the textured walls in a rental were just deal breakers. And she didn't just fling her own poop. She was the poop monitor. After ANY of the cats went poop she would go and enthusiastically 'cover' (read fling poop) everyone else's poop.

This is what we use now: https://www.chewy.com/tidy-cats-breeze-cat-litter-box/dp/47104?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Tidy%20Cats&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpuizaj4LJj1LYa4mcjoI13glw3yBz0Eg8gD2NyxsyreAwaArYd8P8HAQ

We hated the litter dust, and with both DH and I having joint and back issues changing out 5 boxes of sand was too much work.

It has its pluses and minuses. The cats like it a lot. Never had an issue with them disliking it and my Duncan is picky (he refused to use Worlds Best Liter Litter and several other brands).

It is the EASIEST box to clean from our perspective.

But the odor control sucks. And the pellets are SO painful to step on with bare feet.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I lived at home and we had outside cats that we'd randomly bring in for snuggles and sleep time, or when the mom's would have babies and we'd bring them into the house for a couple months, we tried using these "new fangled" litters that was little round pearl like things. They absorbed the urine and smell..and also rolled all over the floor like fricken marbles and that was of course, great fun for the cats.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
cmd, thank you for that wand link. Neat!

marym, so it is different. But the one I had been looking at most recently actually was the one you posted lol, but thank you!

Gypsy, just saw your wand link. Wow, those are cheap! May have to try just for price sake. Thanks!

From what I can tell, Henry is not flipping much litter on the floor. But if things change I will let son know about that top entry deal.

I took more pics, and will try to post. It has been so long since I posted pics on here, not sure if it's the same procedure/I know how. Hope it works, but if nothing appears, you know there's a glitch.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ellen, so glad you and your son are getting great advice from PSers on what to do and buy for your son's kitty. I am happy he is doing well and thrilled to have his sweet cat. YAY! Animals are healing and they give unconditional love that is priceless. Looking forward to hearing more good news about your son and his cat and looking forward to seeing pics when you figure it out. No pressure though. I am terrible with photos too and awful with technology so I get it. Don't worry. So happy for your son and his cat. :appl:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here is Henry. Sorry the quality of these is so bad. Not sure why, may need new camera.

I think his tail may be as long as he is!

img_11912.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1465986188|4044230 said:
Ok, here is Henry. Sorry the quality of these is so bad. Not sure why, may need new camera.

I think his tail may be as long as he is!

OMG what a sweet sweet baby!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thank you for posting his pic Ellen!!! He is so beautiful!!!

img_11913.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was just a few days after he got him, so about 3 weeks ago, compared to my first pic, which was 2 days ago.

cam00158.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, just a couple more. I feel like a proud gramma. :lol:

img_11914.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
::)

img_11915.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1465986141|4044228 said:
Hi Ellen, so glad you and your son are getting great advice from PSers on what to do and buy for your son's kitty. I am happy he is doing well and thrilled to have his sweet cat. YAY! Animals are healing and they give unconditional love that is priceless. Looking forward to hearing more good news about your son and his cat and looking forward to seeing pics when you figure it out. No pressure though. I am terrible with photos too and awful with technology so I get it. Don't worry. So happy for your son and his cat. :appl:
Thanks Missy. It has been nothing short of amazing what Henry (and the supplements) have done for my son. While he still has anxiety on a lower level during the day, what would happen at night when it got so bad, simply disappeared as soon as Henry walked through the door. Not kidding. Animals really are special, you're right. I am waiting on some testing we are doing with son, but plan on updating the other thread soon. Thank you so much for your well wishes. ;))

And thanks for thinking my grandkitty is beautiful! ::)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone who has offered me advice/products, I really do appreciate it, as does my son! :appl:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainy, great information on the litter boxes.

When I first got my first cat and I was very inexperienced, decades ago, a friend of mine had visited and when she saw the small litter box she made a pouting face and said something to the effect that it was probably a little too small for him to be comfortable in.

I didn't realize it at the time but I am so incredibly thankful she made me realize that.

It also prompted to research the litter box and came to all the same conclusions you did.

We have one super large and deep litter pan - like a carousel and is higher on one end. It's HUGE.

Then we do have a smaller one for their second litter box - and we do have a cover for it because it's in a "living area" somewhat. I picked a cover that is fairly breathable - it's like wicker - and we took off the door so it's even more so.

http://www.wayfair.com/Mr.-Herzhers-Decorative-Litter-Box-Enclosure-14-X-L1175-K~MRH1005.html?refid=GX99081638122-MRH1005&device=c&ptid=156770583134&gclid=CKmIoZaKqs0CFdgRgQodmLABjg

ellen :appl: :appl: thank you for posting pictures! He is soooooooooooo cute. OMG I can't get over the cuteness. ::)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainy, not sure how I missed your detailed post on boxes, but thank you. Good to know!

CJ, thank you. ::)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ELLEN! How precious is HE!!! Yup, I just want to reach through my screen and snuggle him right up! I hope he and your son have a wonderful, lasting bond!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks rainy!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465957687|4044144 said:
Rainy, Great post! I did some research on it, but decided to give it a try because Hally's flying poop bombs on the textured walls in a rental were just deal breakers. And she didn't just fling her own poop. She was the poop monitor. After ANY of the cats went poop she would go and enthusiastically 'cover' (read fling poop) everyone else's poop.

This is what we use now: https://www.chewy.com/tidy-cats-breeze-cat-litter-box/dp/47104?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Tidy%20Cats&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpuizaj4LJj1LYa4mcjoI13glw3yBz0Eg8gD2NyxsyreAwaArYd8P8HAQ

We hated the litter dust, and with both DH and I having joint and back issues changing out 5 boxes of sand was too much work.

It has its pluses and minuses. The cats like it a lot. Never had an issue with them disliking it and my Duncan is picky (he refused to use Worlds Best Liter Litter and several other brands).

It is the EASIEST box to clean from our perspective.

But the odor control sucks. And the pellets are SO painful to step on with bare feet.

Ever since reading this I can't help chuckling at the image it gave me! I mean, I feel for you - that is a royal PITA. And gross! But yeah, since it wasn't/isn't my problem it's pretty darn... yup, there I go, laughing at the image again! Oh god, now I can't stop! I am realizing that I have been so lucky with my cats, after reading yours & packie's stories. Growing up our cats were indoor/outdoor so if they had potty issues I guess I wouldn't have known, and I've only had three on my own, all of which have had lovely litter manners.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, what an adorable kitten! He looks like a Henry! :clap:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous ball-o-fur! :love: Total sweeeeeties :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. What a mischievous little angel. That TAIL!!!! Now THAT is a long tailed kitten. Wonder if he'll grow into it, or if it will just get longer as he gets bigger.

Ellen, there are things about cats that cost money. Namely good food and medical/dental care.

But toys and things like that, no. Most of my kids toys cost less than 7 bucks. Those leather ones are nice cause they are really durable.

I buy my cat dishes at Pier One and CB2. Human dishes are much cheaper and more durable. I buy porcelain dishes because they are much stronger and last longer. Most cat bowls are earthenware: cheap quailty and chip prone. I also buy stainless water bowls that are human mixing bowls (large water bowls are a must with 5 cats). And I have a stainless pet water fountain set up on the bathroom counter.

Rainy, yeah, it's pretty funny. We had never really ever WATCHED her go to the bathroom, ya know, in detail. Then our apartment was robbed and I refused to stay there so we grabbed the cats, our air mattress and sheets, a suitcase and basic pet supplies and moved to a new apartment with our stuff to follow later. We set up two open litterboxes, side by side, at the foot of the air mattress on a mat, in the bedroom temporarily. Because it was a new place and we wanted to keep them with us for the first couple days.

We woke up at 1:00am, 4:00am and 6:00 by the sound of Hally digging to china. Every time one of the cats when poo she would completely dig out that box, INTO the other box, Then go back to the other box and KICK (fling poo) half the litter back into the original box. 10 minutes of straight digging each time.

it explained so much. She was such a unique soul. There will never be another like her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results