shape
carat
color
clarity

Article on Racked.com abt Lab-Grown stones being the future

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I didn't finish reading this, but I am not really sure that I'd call Lab-Grown stones synthetics. If they're identical in composition to naturals, do they qualify as synthetics simply because they're not mined?

I found the article to be interesting, though a little maybe inaccurate at times. Just thought I'd share it.

http://www.racked.com/2016/6/14/11872830/lab-grown-diamonds-synthetic

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Article on Racked.com abt Lab-Grown stones being the fut

No time to read the article right now, but the description of a synthetic is a stone that has the same chemical, physical and optical properties as a natural gem that is made by man.

Thus yes, Lab grown are synthetics. The growers do not like to call them synthetics as that is somehow deemed derogatory by many as in "Less than" and they prefer to use terms like Lab Grown which sound nicer.

There is a big to do in the trade right now as the growers want to call them one thing and the natural diamond trade wants them to go away, I er mean to be called something else. Diamond Foundry wants to call them Foundry grown since they are not a lab.

Reminds me of the old song "The beat goes on" by Sonny and Cher.

Wink

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always liked the term cultured.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oops, I violated the new ISO regulations as were written about in HPDIamonds blog last August 2nd.

And I quote: With the publication of International Standard 18323 the ISO explicitly defines the term “diamond” as one created by nature. If referencing anything man-made it is only permissible to use “synthetic diamond”, “laboratory-grown diamond” or “laboratory-created diamond” with no abbreviations.

In my post above I referenced Lab grown, which is against those rules as Lab is an abbreviation of the word Laboratory.

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nice article.

I'm a little baffled by the objection by the growers to the use of the word 'synthetic' because people might misunderstand it. It's technically correct. A synthetic is a manmade substance that is chemically identical to a natural one and it applies to everything from vitamins to rubber. Diamonds are no exception. Using it for fakes, meaning alternative products that look similar, would be the part that's inaccurate. It seems a shame to surrender a perfectly good word to the charlatans. In any case, the growers like the term 'laboratory-grown''. They don't like to be called growers either by the way; they call themselves manufacturers, and their factories are called labs not, well, factories.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, valid. I stand corrected. I am glad that I brought this up, I hope I didn't break the rules. I know this is kind of a taboo subject, but in light of the situation with those reports being given to stones by GIA, I felt like it's something that needs to come up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results