shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me find Ultra High Qualtiy Princess 1.2-1.5 Ct

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
Hey guys/gals. I'm coming here as first timer for some guidience in finding a stone. I've been looking and doing research for a while but and unsure about the few stones I've seen. As the title says I'm looking for a VERY high sparkle/fire/Briliance stone in 1.20-1.55 size range. I would like to stay in the D-E and IF-VVS1 range. Proposal is in August so I'm starting to feel the pressure of finding a stone in time.

I've seen a few like :
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.50-carat-e-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1136232

I almost pulled the trigger on this one but the Internal Graining on the report scared me (was it a mistake on my part to pass up?) it sold but I wanna know if another one comes up like this am I good2go? The table and depth were ideal as well. I also like that it had a thick table (does this make it less prone to chipping in the setting and falling out?)

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.46-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-995522

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the A Cut Above princess cuts on Whiteflash - great pics, ASETs included as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search.aspx

EDIT: Is the reason you're shooting for D/E IF/VVS1 for cultural reasons?

Because as I'm sure others will come along to say shortly, anything upwards from VS1 will 99.999% be eye clean from all angles and all distances, and unless the recipient is exceptionally colour sensitive (or you need the 'kudos' that a colourless stone brings ;-) ) an F or a G will be extremely white when cut well.

Many will even advocate H and VS2 if confirmed eye-clean!

For example, this is a little over budget (going from your links posted) but it is H VS2 Super-Ideal cut and over 2ct...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3587345.htm :naughty:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
What's your budget? For maximum sparkle, you want to focus on getting the best possible cut. Also you may not need such expensive color and clarity. A VS or eye clean SI1 will look exactly the same to the naked eye as an IF. And be sure to see some well cut D-G princesses in person. It's extremely difficult to tell the difference. If you would consider, say, up to G/VS2, that would open up many more options and allow you to get a bigger stone or just save the money. Good Old Gold has some great videos on comparing color in both round and princess cuts, so I would look at those too. Then decide if the premium for D-E and IF-VVS is worth it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Not just going for eye clean but also "mind clean". Lol is more personal reasons I would like to stay in that color cut and clarity range and I know cut comes first. Ide also like to stay around 1.25-1.5 and not get to much bigger. Budget is around 15k for the stone but there's some wiggle if it's warranted. Also any comment on the two stones I posted if those would have fit the bill? Also the 3 sites I check regularly are James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds and White flash. Lmk if I'm missing any (I know blue Nile and rittani but I like being able to see more then a generic photo)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect youll have some difficulty finding a nice stone due to the color and clarity requirements. Just dropping to an F/VS1 would help in your search. Have you seen in person the differences in a D/E/F GIA or AGS graded stone? Sometimes people feel they need a D/E stone until they've actually compared in person. Just my .02 and i hope i don't sound too pushy! Whitflash has a couple of nice ACA's in inventory but in F/VS1. Maybe a phone call to WF /BGD / BE to look for stones would be more helpful to you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendors that carry top cut quality princess cuts just aren't going to carry a lot with your desired specs, but CUT is the number one thing you need to be concerned with. Sparkle come from cut, not color and clarity. Color is visible, but I would look at D-F and add VS1-VS2 clarity which is still high quality.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3668917.htm

I did not see any 1.5 ct+ in D-E color at Good Old Gold, High Performance Diamonds, or Brian Gavin in stock. I think the demand is down for princess cuts in general and those colors are even more limiting. I take it that is what the recipient has asked for? I think the WF stone above is a great choice. The first stone (E VVS) from James Allen looks good, but you need to ask for an ASET image. No to the second one (D), not because of the internal graining but because it faces up very small in diameter compared to the other one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also enquire with WF/GOG/BGD (and any others I've missed? Does Wink/HPD/CBI cut Princesses?) about getting a custom cut done for you, due to the limited number of stones available on the market in your desired specifications :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was a mistake to pass on a vvs stone that fits your tight specs and budget because it had international graining

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
Niel|1465482160|4042171 said:
Yes it was a mistake to pass on a vvs stone that fits your tight specs and budget because it had international graining
Thanks now I know for next time. :) I just had no idea

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask IDJ to help you find the perfect stone. They are "closed" now, but I see that their online chat is manned and "on" after hours lately.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelry - ask for Yekutiel, tell them you are a Pricescoper looking for... and give them your parameters.

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
looks like the James Allen stone has been relisted (maybe its meant to be lol). how do these specs look?
Shape: Princess
carat weight: 1.46
color: D
clarity: VVS1
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
l/w/d (mm): 6.15*6.15*4.44
l/w ratio: 1.00
depth %: 72.30
table %: 66.00
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 39.23
crown %: 11.58
girdle: Thick
pavilion ∠: 62.98
pavilion %: 57.04
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.46-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-995522

or Is the one Below a better stone?

Shape: Princess
carat weight: 1.50
color: E
clarity: VVS1
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
l/w/d (mm): 6.32*6.28*4.56
l/w ratio: 1.01
depth %: 72.60
girdle: Thin - Thick
table %: 69.00
culet: None
certificate: GIA
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.50-carat-e-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1136232

Please let me know asap so it doesn't get away again =) thanks in advance

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DeadAim,
A couple of differences between the two to consider: The 1.50 has a 3 chevron facet arrangement whereas the 1.46 has 4. (notice the difference between the stone plots on the pavilion side) This will result in the two stones having slightly different visual "flavors". The more chevrons the small the mains become. You will therefore trade some broad flash for more and smaller sparkles. This is a taste factor rather than a quality factor.

The 1.50 is also, well, a 1.50, as opposed to a 1.46. So it hits a magic mark. Of course carat is just a measure of weight, so again, not a quality factor. But it does have some market significance. (outer dimensions of the 1.50 are also larger)

Both are colorless, so you are not giving up much by going from D to E. Of course, there is a market difference. But you are benefitting from that market difference with the lower overall price and preferable size.

Good luck!

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! So if it was up to you which would you personally choose and why? Thanks

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DeadAim155|1465843497|4043599 said:
Thanks for the info! So if it was up to you which would you personally choose and why? Thanks
Sorry, as a trademember forum rules prohibit me from recommending or criticizing another vendor's offerings. You can probably understand why that rule is in place! But, I think if you read between the lines of my commentary you can get a sense of where logic would take me. However, there are significant unknowables because GIA does not grade overall cut quality on princess (or any other fancy shape). Light performance images would be helpful.

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
i would love to see a website that offers AGS graded princess stones but cant find any that do =/

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
james allen is going try to get aset images so ill update

DeadAim155

Rough_Rock
Heres the ASET of the two james allen stones. Im thinking the 1.46 is better but want to be sure. Let me know

995522.jpg

1136232.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are nice and what I would consider above average. You did a nice job picking stones. The 1.46 does look like it has ever
so slightly better light return.

Do you like lots and mostly little flashes? Mixture of some small flashes with some slightly bigger flashes? They have different
personalities that might help you decide since they both have very nice ASETs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results