shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you voting for Trump?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irrespective of the countries we live in frequently when there are no admirable candidates running voting is a matter of casting our nominations against someone and their ideals rather than for a clear alternative. For all those who are voting for others, perhaps you should ask yourselves what would your country look like with Trump as president at the end of a term in office and then make a decision based on the person that is going to do the least amount of harm.

People see Trump as someone who is going to solve the problems of your country, I see him as someone who is going to create division and leave a country with far more problems than he will ever fix.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465436799|4041974 said:
Gypsy|1465432874|4041931 said:
smitcompton|1465320813|4041229 said:
Hi,

Unfortunately, I think we are in "the perfect storm". Political thinking has diverged into two opposite extremes where no compromises seem to be possible. Each side digs in and the holes are so big we may bury ourselves. Trump has captured the antagonism felt by a good number of Americans over political correctness. He shows his supporters he's with them on that. He allows them to express some of what they want to say by his words.
Annette

I really agreed with your whole post. But this part in particular spoke to me.

You are very right. And as Andy Borowitz pointed out. While we MAY succeed in defeating Trumps run to the white house, all those people who voted for him will still be there and so will the now obvious wounds we have in our country. And (this part is me), I don't think HRC is the right president to heal those wounds. I don't really know who would be. But I am sorry to say, I don't think it's her. Or ANY politician I can think of.

I *so* much agree. I'm so sick of politics and politicians and lobbyists and feeling like the ones w/the most money are the ones who dictate how the country runs and the sides playing off each other--just the whole lot of it. I wish just a regular *person*, not a *politician* was in charge. In the end, I don't think it would matter tho...the normal-est of normal people end up corrupted when it comes to politics. They all do.
I think....

They have designed it so that there is the greatest flaw in all of our thinking that "one person," the president, is in charge. He/She is not. The president has very little power. They are a figurehead, a puppet. Sure, they have executive order, but that can be shot down by Congress.

Congress has all of the power, period. But they don't want you to know that. So everyone gets all riled up about the presidential election. Everyone votes for president and the rest of the people on the ballot are given little thought. The midterm elections have poor turnout at best. Then everyone blames the president when nothing changes. They never give thought to the fact that they didn't vote during the midterms. They didn't give thought to the fact that they didn't change the gerrymandering laws that keep their corrupt, do-nothing congressperson in office for 100 years with no one to contest them. Because the system is designed to make people THINK that the president is responsible for everything.

Obama had plans. He had big mother-f-ing plans and Mitch McConnell said on TV that their number one mission was to stop everything that Obama wanted to do. That's it. And you know what? That is what they did. They spent all of their time stopping Obama's plans. And we let them!! We didn't get sick of our do-nothing congress and vote those jerks out of office. Or we had no choice because so many of them ran unopposed, thanks to gerrymandering.

Our congresspeople should have two, two year terms, period. Instead, they can stay in office indefinitely. This is ridiculous. They also campaign non-stop. If they are constantly campaigning, that means they are constantly meeting with lobbyists and fundraising. This means they do NOT care about us. The ONLY time they care about the people is when it comes to their actual constituents because they can vote them out of office. They will rush to their hometown or vote in their interest if it means keeping their seat.

One might say a "good president" will lead congress, but congress hasn't REALLY gotten anything done in so many years (50?) The party lines are drawn so hard and remember, the members of congress are constantly campaigning, if any of them were to cross those party lines, it might mean they would lose their seat. Things need to change in the system. If their terms were to be shortened and the people were actually allowed to vote for congress people, Congresspeople might actually DO something with their time in office.

So, yeah, I am all for debating our president, who, has power when it comes to foreign relations and appointing judges and other political offices, but let's be real, he doesn't have the kind of power that everyone thinks he has. It is Congress that has created most of this mess. Until people start taking their voting power seriously, I don't see anything changing.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't vote for either of them. It is amazing to me that we are in this place as a country. I understand why people want a candidate who is not a politician but can't imagine that Trump is the best we can come up with. I would love to be able to vote against Hillary but I just can't support Trump. Can we just please have a decent human being who wants to do what is best for all of the people, maybe a candidate with some old fashioned integrity, one that we might actually be able to trust?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465436799|4041974 said:
Gypsy|1465432874|4041931 said:
smitcompton|1465320813|4041229 said:
Hi,

Unfortunately, I think we are in "the perfect storm". Political thinking has diverged into two opposite extremes where no compromises seem to be possible. Each side digs in and the holes are so big we may bury ourselves. Trump has captured the antagonism felt by a good number of Americans over political correctness. He shows his supporters he's with them on that. He allows them to express some of what they want to say by his words.
Annette

I really agreed with your whole post. But this part in particular spoke to me.

You are very right. And as Andy Borowitz pointed out. While we MAY succeed in defeating Trumps run to the white house, all those people who voted for him will still be there and so will the now obvious wounds we have in our country. And (this part is me), I don't think HRC is the right president to heal those wounds. I don't really know who would be. But I am sorry to say, I don't think it's her. Or ANY politician I can think of.

I *so* much agree. I'm so sick of politics and politicians and lobbyists and feeling like the ones w/the most money are the ones who dictate how the country runs and the sides playing off each other--just the whole lot of it. I wish just a regular *person*, not a *politician* was in charge. In the end, I don't think it would matter tho...the normal-est of normal people end up corrupted when it comes to politics. They all do.

I agree 100% with all of this, esp the bolded. ::)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it's not technically one person. They're all corrupt. But the President is the one we see in public, and that also has a huuuuuge effect on people and their mindset. When you see someone who is supposed to be the leader of the country saying one thing and then the next day saying something else, saying things w/out actually *saying* things...the President has a lot of power in his hands as far as the general feeling of the country as a whole. And part of the reason we have a country that is coming apart at the seams is b/c we don't have a leader who can inspire respect in us, inspire us to be better, to do better, to want better. We haven't for a long time. If the President were to pull the curtain back and say yanno, I think we need to change some shit up in here, this has gotten out of hand--I'd listen. But no one would ever be elected who would do that. There is *nothing* we can do. Nothing. We can vote who we want in to different seats, whatever, but they all turn out to be the same, in their core. So that doesn't change anything for us. Vote until we're blue in the face, but the fact will always be, the ones w/the money will run the country, and they will continue to do so--who the hell is going to change it? Congress? Feck no. People who are in cushy positions that don't give a shit about anyone else? Nope. I'm sick to death of it, period.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465498002|4042298 said:
I know it's not technically one person. They're all corrupt. But the President is the one we see in public, and that also has a huuuuuge effect on people and their mindset. When you see someone who is supposed to be the leader of the country saying one thing and then the next day saying something else, saying things w/out actually *saying* things...the President has a lot of power in his hands as far as the general feeling of the country as a whole. And part of the reason we have a country that is coming apart at the seams is b/c we don't have a leader who can inspire respect in us, inspire us to be better, to do better, to want better. We haven't for a long time. If the President were to pull the curtain back and say yanno, I think we need to change some shit up in here, this has gotten out of hand--I'd listen. But no one would ever be elected who would do that. There is *nothing* we can do. Nothing. We can vote who we want in to different seats, whatever, but they all turn out to be the same, in their core. So that doesn't change anything for us. Vote until we're blue in the face, but the fact will always be, the ones w/the money will run the country, and they will continue to do so--who the hell is going to change it? Congress? Feck no. People who are in cushy positions that don't give a shit about anyone else? Nope. I'm sick to death of it, period.

So basically what you're saying is you've totally given up on our form of government and thus will not make the slightest effort to help change it. Because any effort you make won't make any difference.

Dang.

I'm not that defeated and I'm a liberal with MS, married to a public school teacher in Oklahoma.

I can guarantee you one thing, if you've internalized the idea that resistance is futile, and that you don't matter and then ACT like you don't matter, then you really don't matter. And you don't get to blame your mindset on other people, like Obama. You chose it. You are responsible for it.

Me? I'm screaming at the top of my lungs every chance I get. If enough other people scream at the same time, we'll change stuff.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote. And I use my voice. Because I'm sick to death of it doesn't mean I'm just going to sit here and twiddle my thumbs.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The only way we can raise our voices is by voting, which from what I have seen from the responses to this topic is something we all do. Its what we do with that vote/voice that matters. I will not vote for HRC or Trump. Instead I will use my voice and vote for the way I believe people should vote- For who they want to see in office rather then voting against the lesser of two evils. I don't trust Hillary with the presidency, and I want Trump as far away from the white house as possible (someone mentioned outer space, I'd totally be down with that!).

My views may not be popular, but I won't be force-fed this garbage anymore.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1465508847|4042380 said:
The only way we can raise our voices is by voting, which from what I have seen from the responses to this topic is something we all do. Its what we do with that vote/voice that matters. I will not vote for HRC or Trump. Instead I will use my voice and vote for the way I believe people should vote- For who they want to see in office rather then voting against the lesser of two evils. I don't trust Hillary with the presidency, and I want Trump as far away from the white house as possible (someone mentioned outer space, I'd totally be down with that!).

IMO a vote for someone with no chance of winnings a vote wasted.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Because out of the likely two options, I align with him more than the other choice.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1465509148|4042386 said:
ckrickett|1465508847|4042380 said:

IMO a vote for someone with no chance of winnings a vote wasted

yeah, pretty much this.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
but at least we're trying to do what we feel is right. And I think it's pretty shitty for it to be an all or nothing thing. If you don't like these two that you've been handed, you either vote for one of them or don't vote and then we'll be along right shortly to tell you that we think you suck for not voting, even tho we think you suck if you do vote but don't vote for one of the two presented. and you suck the tremendous one if you don't vote for who we like.

uh-yeah, hello? can't win for effin losin much? We can't have it both ways guys. I will do what I feel is right w/my vote. B/c it's my vote. I've heard from plenty of people who are torn on which way to vote and have said they're going to vote Trump if they are forced to choose b/c of the big issues that they side w/him on and not wanting someone in office who will be another Obama. They feel strongly that they don't want that, so where's their voice? Where's mine then?..which they're NOT being forced to choose, except in situations like this where people tell them they're wasting their vote. I'm not choosing between the two. I won't. And I won't be pushed into thinking I have to.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
are we or are we not given the option for a write in vote? that leads me to believe that we are, in fact, entitled to vote for someone other than the candidates presented us. If more people wrote in votes for say, Bernie, or Elizabeth Warren, or I don't know, whoever, than voted for either of the two actual candidates, would that person not win? Or is that not how it works? Regardless, I will choose to use my voice how I see fit, never mind how others deem my voice should be used.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465511082|4042402 said:
are we or are we not given the option for a write in vote? that leads me to believe that we are, in fact, entitled to vote for someone other than the candidates presented us. If more people wrote in votes for say, Bernie, or Elizabeth Warren, or I don't know, whoever, than voted for either of the two actual candidates, would that person not win? Or is that not how it works? Regardless, I will choose to use my voice how I see fit, never mind how others deem my voice should be used.

Some states have "Sore Loser" laws and Bernie would not be eligible for write-in votes in them. Other states do things differently:

http://sourceplanet.net/politics/bernie-sanders-write-in-states-what-you-need-to-know/

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No. Never.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1465512025|4042410 said:

Some states have "Sore Loser" laws and Bernie would not be eligible for write-in votes in them. Other states do things differently:

http://sourceplanet.net/politics/bernie-sanders-write-in-states-what-you-need-to-know/

Interesting. Iowa's good to go. However..why do we insist on making this so fricking difficult? This state does this, but then this one over here does that, and this one has something else entirely. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Good lord.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ca. have already been decided.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465525168|4042490 said:
monarch64|1465512025|4042410 said:

Interesting. Iowa's good to go. However..why do we insist on making this so fricking difficult? This state does this, but then this one over here does that, and this one has something else entirely. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Good lord.

** wife of US history teacher, banging head over and over and over **

READ THE CONSTITUTION.

It's only been out there for over 200 years.
It's not difficult to find, it's not long, nor is it difficult to understand.
In this case, focus on the 10th amendment, then read Article 2.

Willfull ignorance of our form of government and our history will be the actual thing that destroys this country. And there is ZERO excuse for any of it, not in the era of instant access to an entire world of information. I can only assume that too many people are just addicted to being pissed off rather than informed. One is fun, and gets the blood flowing, the other requires actual effort.

However, you just gave everyone here a perfect example of the type of voter that the founders had in mind when they created the electoral college, and why we still need it today. Thank heavens the founders also made it so bloody hard to change anything. That way, frothing and angry masses can't shred things just because they refuse to see more than the top micron of a very deep issue.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, Ksinger, I can't imagine why anyone would choose to remain ignorant or maybe forget things they learned 30 years ago in OMGUSHISTORYCLASS, or speak candidly in an online discussion when there is always someone like you to swoop in and remind us all how stupid we are. I'm sure Packie has heard of States' rights. There is really no need for you to be so outraged and scream "read the constitution" at anyone. That's what Facebook is for. ;))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for making me out to be a complete and utter ****ing moron, thanks ever so much for that. As a matter of fact, I DON'T know everything about everything, so maybe you in your massive brilliance and knowledge of all the things can find it in your heart to forgive me for being ****ing ignorant and stupid. Cuz *that* really makes me want to drop everything and voraciously read up on all the shit I didn't learn in school or don't remember or decide to learn on my own.

Apparently it would behoove me to take my neanderthal brainless self back to my cave of ignorance and allow those with all the knowledge and all the brains to go ahead and run everything..tell me when you're ready for me to shuffle out and vote for whomever you deem worthy, and I'll try not to drool all over the ballot.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1465572375|4042668 said:
Thanks for making me out to be a complete and utter ****ing moron, thanks ever so much for that. As a matter of fact, I DON'T know everything about everything, so maybe you in your massive brilliance and knowledge of all the things can find it in your heart to forgive me for being ****ing ignorant and stupid. Cuz *that* really makes me want to drop everything and voraciously read up on all the shit I didn't learn in school or don't remember or decide to learn on my own.

Apparently it would behoove me to take my neanderthal brainless self back to my cave of ignorance and allow those with all the knowledge and all the brains to go ahead and run everything..tell me when you're ready for me to shuffle out and vote for whomever you deem worthy, and I'll try not to drool all over the ballot.

Maybe you should have married a U.S. History Teacher. Just sayin'. :bigsmile: We wimmin don't get the smarts on our own!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1465564938|4042619 said:
There is really no need for you to be so outraged and scream "read the constitution" at anyone. That's what Facebook is for. ;))

I wish you would take it easy on Karen. She can't help being smart. However, this did make me laugh out loud. I knew there was a reason I never created a Facebook account! ;))

Deb :read:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1465572375|4042668 said:

And this is why I love you, Packie! :lol: :lol:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1465594196|4042784 said:
There is really no need for you to be so outraged and scream "read the constitution" at anyone. That's what Facebook is for. ;))

I wish you would take it easy on Karen. She can't help being smart. However, this did make me laugh out loud. I knew there was a reason I never created a Facebook account! ;))

She can't help being smart? Wow. So you're basically saying that Packie is "not smart" with that statement. I shudder to think what your or Karen would think about my intelligence or political views (that I'm too *smart* to discuss on a public forum).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1465597095|4042798 said:

She can't help being smart? Wow. So you're basically saying that Packie is "not smart" with that statement. I shudder to think what your or Karen would think about my intelligence or political views (that I'm too *smart* to discuss on a public forum).

I think she was defending Karen i saw no slight against Jackie in that.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, so ksinger isn't being very kind, but she's right.

Sorry packrat, while I think you are amazingly and intelligently insightful on top of having one of the most entertaining writing styles I've come across on internet forums - I really look forward to reading your posts - the action you speak of (a write-in candidate) is, well, lame. We can be all butt hurt about ksinger pointing this out testily, but she's right. I'm sure you don't care what I think, I'd be surprised if I'm even on your radar. I felt compelled to post this in order to state something positive about you *and* Karen.

One thing I'm sick to death of (in real life, I just gloss over it here) is the constant whining that there are no good choices in this election, it's pick your poison, lesser of two evils...oh poor us. When did we become so entitled that we believe the universe owes us our version of the perfect candidate? Have we gotten involved in the political process at all? Do we pay much attention to our local representatives or even vote in the non-presidential election years? Democrats are notorious for staying home in the off years and then can't figure out how we lost the House. No, instead we complain our choices, retreat to our respective camps, and do nothing to actually find common ground.

And on top of that, we are willfully ignorant about how our own government works. The excuse is that we learned it a long time ago in high school?? Seriously?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No matter which party is in office after 8 yrs (2 terms) of the same party Americans are sick and tired of them. That's the reason why during the past 40 something yrs there had only been once were the same party served 3 consecutive terms. Reagan,Reagan and Bush.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sick of Bernie bros deciding not to vote, as if that's what Bernie would even want. And yes I think equally as bad is to vote for a write in or 3rd party. Primaries are the time to be idealistic. If the country agrees with your ideals? Awesome. If they don't,a and you get two noms, it's time to be pragmatic. You're not going to make social change this year. I'm sorry. Until it's the two party system is gone, a 3rd party does nothing but syphon votes.

You don't like Hillary? Suck it up. You know why this electronic is important? SCOTUS! frig! You sit on the side lines or sacrifice your vote to "prove" the system is flawed. Watch no one care how much of a revolutionary you are.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1465597095|4042798 said:

Do you really want to fight with me?

Since when does my saying that Person A is smart cause me to have said that Person B with whom that person has conversed is the opposite of what the first person is? No, wait. let me guess! In your own universe, where you make the laws of logic!

If I were to tell you that I think you missed Logic 101, I would be at fault, I suppose. Although you were the one who attacked me for no good reason. I adore packrat and know she is smart. She, also, knows that I think she is smart. You, however, appear to be spoiling for an argument.

AGBF
:read:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the only PSer w/o a college degree... :oops: That's the reason why I can never win any arguments against the well educated PSers... ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results