shape
carat
color
clarity

Ways to find out what ring to buy Help!

the-chef

Rough_Rock
It's been that time for a couple of months now. Time to buy the ring! Though I'm excited for this next step and all the nerve-wrackingness it will come along with before I ask her, I'm really having for some reason, a hard time trying to find out what ring would be a good choice for her. I've looked at her jewelry and know her style is simple and classic. She never really wears anything too big or flashy. She has made a non-verbal mention(by pointing and saying this is nice) that a halo setting looked nice.

Asking her friends is a real hit and miss because I am pretty sure that she would pick up on it right away as she is a very smart girl and will put a friend asking her preference in rings and our upcoming trip to Europe together and figure it out. I want it to be a complete surprise.

SO!! I'd like to know if any of you had and tricky ways aside from the normal friends, family, casually walking by a diamond store and playing pretends, of finding out her style in ring without her finding out.

Thanks to any help or input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she have a pintrest account?

What is your budget like? VC and LM make beautiful halos that are less 'flashy' and more seamless with the stone but they are $$$. I prefer this type of halo because it doesn't take away from the center stone as much. This would be very simple and classy.
Post over on rocky talky with your budget and I bet they can find you something perfect.

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
1.) Check to see if you can find her pinterest account, if she has one. You can create your own account and just google to see if she has one, and check her jewelry board if she has one. OR, I don't know if you can get INTO her account - I know my "ring" board is secret - meaning only I can see it. You would have to be in her account in that case.

2.) Definitely ask her closest friends, if you think they can be trusted to keep the secret. Oftentimes, girls will tell their gf's what they want in a ring JUST IN CASE the bf thinks to ask them. That way, the friend doesn't have to go asking questions and tip her off. For instance, my best friend, half way across the country, knows exactly what kind of ring I would want because she has access to my secret ring board on pinterest, and we talk about diamonds/jewelry a lot.

3.) If you can get into her computer, check to see if she has anything bookmarked. She may have hidden the links in innocuous-looking folders, so check all the folders for ring links.

4.) ALTERNATIVELY, if you think she's the kind of girl who may want to be involved in the actual ring selection process, consider getting her a pretty promise ring that she can turn into a right hand ring once you guys pick out the real deal. This is the option I would actually prefer, because I have very particular tastes and know exactly what I would want in an engagement ring. (But if she loves social media, she might prefer to have the real deal for the actual proposal so that she can post photos of it when she makes her announcement posts!)

This rose gold ring with hidden diamond is a good pricier option, at $1,100: http://www.eastsidebride.com/2013/01/anna-sheffield-digs-east-side-bride.html

This message ring (could possibly fit "will you marry me" onto it) is a good cheap option if you want to save all your budget for the real deal $66: http://scoutmob.com/p/Custom-Message-Plate-Ring-Kober?referrer=smnatpin&utm_source=SmartPin&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=Pinterest&utm_content=jewelry&utm_campaign=PlateRing-GiftsHerCamp&pp=1

the-chef

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replys! To answer telephone89, my budget ideally would be 7-9k but depending on if something blows me away, I could go up to around 10k and stretch it. Thanks for the info on the halo setting!

April may, she has a Pinterest account and I am going to find it later today.

I had decided to ask her closest friend yesterday in hopes that she may know what style she would like and I was in luck. She says she is going to send some pictures of ideas for rings to me today or tomorrow.

I also decided to have a wedding jewelry catalogue sent to the house from Kay. My theory is this....claim they sent it to me after I had made a watch purchase there last month and they sent the wrong catalogue. I'll play it off like "just toss it in the trash" and hopefully catch her looking at a style ring she would like. Then, hopefully, if I can catch her viewing a style and get the info from her friend, I can put it all together and come up with what the ring will be.

She hasn't really mentioned ever that she had a specific type of ring she wants for her engagement ring so I'm not going to include her in the process....because then she will know it's coming. [emoji4]

Thanks for your help and responses!

Howl fully in the next week or two I will be picking out my ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
Excellent plan with the catalog!

One more thing, PLEASE feel free to ask for help in the RockyTalk forum once you decide what sort of diamond and what sort of setting she likes. Your budget is VERY nice, and the people on this site can help you get MUCH more for it than you would get buying something through a brick and mortar like Kay or Shane Co. If nothing else, I'm more than happy to help through this thread.

For instance, here is a Kay solitaire with a 1 ct center stone. $7,500

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-rings-101488--1/leo-diamond-artisan-ring-1-carat-diamond-14k-white-gold-151088806--1/101488/101488.101495

You don't get to pick your actual stone, so you don't know what sort of performance you're getting. They also say the diamond could vary anywhere from .95 - 1.11 carats. That's a LOT of variance.

And here is a ring held by a popular and trusted pricescope vender that is to DIE for, for much cheaper. $4,775

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/95ct-old-european-cut-diamond-solitaire-egl-h-vs1#.V1CQ-vkrK70

Of course, with this ring, you'd need to know if she likes the look of warmer stones - though EGL H isn't very tinted at all. It's the same size stone, a beautiful cut, AND bonus pave on the band (if she liked that.)

And here is a colorless (F) 1 ct solitaire: $6,895

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-01ct-round-brilliant-diamond-solitaire-gia-f-vs2#.V1CR7PkrK70

Here's a 1.20 ct, beautifully cut, RIGHT at your budget, WITH a halo: $10,095

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-20ct-round-brilliant-diamond-halo-ring-by-brilliant-earth-gia-g-vs2#.V1CSZfkrK70

Not trying to push any of these rings, just trying to show you what you can really get for your budget!

Alternatively, with many pricescope vendors, you can pick out your individual diamond and pair it with a setting you like.

For instance, most of Jewels by Grace's settings are $1,000-2,000 depending on the metal you use and the design you pick. So you could decide on a setting, get its cost, then work backwards to figure out how much you want to spend on the diamond. Or you could by a simple stock setting with no stone in it (<$1,000) and send it to someone like Jewels by Grace and have them find a stone in your specs that will fit the setting.

There are MANY options!

Joel21

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to get some inspiration here. I just started looking at rings and I am so lost as to what she would actually like so I'm here on this forum looking for any help that I can get. I need ideas on how to get her to show me what she likes without asking her directly.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joel21|1477571870|4091094 said:
I was hoping to get some inspiration here. I just started looking at rings and I am so lost as to what she would actually like so I'm here on this forum looking for any help that I can get. I need ideas on how to get her to show me what she likes without asking her directly.

When the friend gets you those pics, come HERE and post them. And do NOT buy anything from Kay or Jared. Low-quality crap. :angryfire: The experts here can find you better stones and better settings. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Joel21

Rough_Rock
Soxfan, that is really great advice. I know I'll be back on this thread with pictures of my own so that the experts here can assist me too. Thanks for helping us newbies out. This process can be really frustrating when you don't know what you're doing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results