shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's ring - help/advice needed!

DanLees91

Rough_Rock
When my grandmother passed away a few years back, this is one of the rings she was wearing. It's not her engagement ring and nobody in the family has any idea who bought it.

It has a marking... 1.42 (potentially the carat?). We will get it cleaned up and ask a professionel for some advice but if anybody has any thoughts just from the picture, they would be gratefully received!

20160528_231144.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you please post more photos? at least one head-on that shows the facet pattern?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. From the one picture you posted, it looks like it could be an antique cushion, and it's obviously a lovely setting! It looks like this is a beautiful ring! Take it to someone you trust, or send to someone who is recommended here. Don't take it to just any jewelry store. If you want to clean it, you can use a soft toothbrush and blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. Please post a million more pictures!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it might be an antique hand made setting, too. Post some profile shots as well as a magnified image of the face of the diamond.

DanLees91

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies, very helpful. I have tried to upload a few more photos, hopefully these paint a slightly clearer picture. Thanks.

20160530_083843.jpg

20160530_083528.jpg

20160530_083557.jpg

20160530_083717.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it's an OMC 100%. Old Mine Cut (or Miner Cut). If it was cleaned just before pictures it is likely a warmer color range stone typically found in these diamonds. If it wasn't cleaned by you before the pictures, please clean it according to directions posted above. A clean diamond is a pretty diamond. Looks pretty clean inclusion wise. And it has a large culet, tiny table and super high crown typical of the cut. I do think it is likely that it's over a carat and that perhaps that is the carat weight listed in the ring.

The setting looks to be a nice example of an Edwardian- late-Victorian solitaire ( later half of 19th century), if I had to guess (and I am guessing on the setting, make no mistake). Setting looks secure and stone looks snug in there, which is great.

I personally would send it to Old Miner-- David Atlas for appraisal. He has a lot of expertise in old cuts and will give you a top of the line appraisal. Do not just go to any old GIA graduate gemolgist at a local store for an appraisal. There is a bias against old cuts (despite their current revival) and you will likely be told it is junk in need of re-cutting.

http://datlas.com/

If you are Los Angeles you can also take it to Singlestone in the Diamond District and ask Ari if he will appraise it for you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! both diamond and setting. Love that culet. Looks well-cut and crisp.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful! I love the setting! Very special heirloom!!!

What kind of advice are you wanting? Are you trying to insure it or sell it?

DanLees91

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies. Certainly not looking to sell it. I was hoping to use it as an engagement ring later this year, keen to keep it in the family and make use of it, seems far too beautiful to be collecting dust.

I should also add I'm based in Oxford, England. It's currently much, much too big so I'm not certain we will be able to use it anyway as I would imagine it's too big to be resized.

DanLees91

Rough_Rock
Sorry, didn't really answer your question. I am just keen to find out as much as I can about it before deciding what to do with it. Ultimately I'll be getting it insured.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The mounting looks like a very common British solitaire ring that is endemic to London where I frequently went for buying merchandise in the later 1980s and 1990's. These could be found in 18kt white gold and in platinum in every shop window and arcade jewelry store and likely still can be seen everywhere. It was a great mounting design, delicate yet durable, and may still be in production in a few shops. Looks like a nice old cut diamond, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DanLees91|1464613603|4038046 said:
Thank you for your replies. Certainly not looking to sell it. I was hoping to use it as an engagement ring later this year, keen to keep it in the family and make use of it, seems far too beautiful to be collecting dust.

I should also add I'm based in Oxford, England. It's currently much, much too big so I'm not certain we will be able to use it anyway as I would imagine it's too big to be resized.

So glad you are keeping it! It is a treasure! What size is it now and what size would it need to be sized to? It has a good chance of being sized unless it is a 10 and you need to go to a 3 or 4, maybe. I would go to a high end jeweler that would hopefully have a good bench.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I know of a good place in England, specifically deals with old cuts. Will look it up and post info later for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results