shape
carat
color
clarity

I've reached the end of the internet and still no ring.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to float Caleb Meyer as an artisan with some just-different-enough antique-inspired settings -- even though your recent posts suggest maybe you are looking for a more elaborate setting. ;-)

http://calebmeyer.com/showcase.php?collection=Diamond%20Rings&status=forsale

I love this one:
1.70ct K VS2 (EGL), no good photos of the facet pattern, but comfortably in budget

ETA: Just saw you require platinum -- he does work in platinum, too. I'm more posting it for the style, not for the off-the-shelf options. :)

screen_shot_2016-05-26_at_14.png

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
I have definitely been there and felt that, numerous times!

I remember leaving one chain jewelry store feeling absolutely defeated. I thought for sure I NEEDED a colorless, flawless, gigantic, etc. stone to even be remotely satisfied because the stones in the stores were soooo disappointing! However, take a deep breath knowing you are in good hands here.

My boyfriend and I searched for almost a year for the perfect stone and setting. We did a lot of homework and we went to jewelry stores and online websites daily trying to pick out the details from all the stones and settings we felt were most important to us. We finally ended up purchasing the most perfect stone and setting from trusted PS vendors and we could not be any happier. I almost feel like I can never go to another jeweler again because nothing else will match the literal perfection in the craftsmanship of my setting and the precision cut of my stone.

Don't rush and don't settle. It will be worth it in the end!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
iwantsparkle|1464294226|4036606 said:
http://www.beverleyk.com/bridal/mounts/r11215.html

gypsy - this one is pretty. I feel like this could be worn solo?

I wonder if it is in my budget (and could fit) a stone 1.5 carat.

Beverly K is very affordable. That should be around 3000-3500 even in platinum. Ask Wink at High Performance Diamonds for a quote on the setting.

He also specializes in beautiful round stones.

If you stick to I-J color I think you will be fine with a 1.5 carat stone. I would probably advise to with a 1.3ish stone though unless you have a lot of space between your knuckles. Have you tried anything similar on? Where are you located? We can help you find a store near you to try things on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
iwantsparkle|1464294428|4036608 said:
iwantsparkle|1464294226|4036606 said:
http://www.beverleyk.com/bridal/mounts/r11215.html

gypsy - this one is pretty. I feel like this could be worn solo?

I wonder if it is in my budget (and could fit) a stone 1.5 carat.

Oh snap - I am digging this one, too:

http://www.beverleyk.com/bridal/mounts/r10675-a-d-d-m.html

Think it looks too "chippy" or complicated/busy? Meaning, there are so many little things going on?

I kind of like that it has an east/west shape going on. (as much as a setting can with a round stone, lol)

I guess I am also basic in the sense that I'd like as big a round stone as possible (affordable) that is still eye clean.

So, I am not yet sure what that means as far as capping the price of the setting.

No, not to complicated at all. It's gorgeous, seriously. Very elegant and art deco in style. And would look fantastic as a stand alone ring.

You are attracted to art deco inspired settings. I think you will be fine with this one and a 1.5 carat stone. Again shoot for I color. Again call High Performance Diamonds for the price of this setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
iwantsparkle|1464294872|4036612 said:
I didn't get a chance to reply to everyone but I did click all of the links and I do appreciate the help!

I'll be back later. Off to a meeting.

I did want to ask all of you about these rings:

1. general feedback? I understand that rings are so personal, but someone told me this one looks like a "class ring" - which I hate to say caused me a little doubt.

I would want this with a 1.5 center stone. (Maybe that makes it better? Maybe worse?)

http://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/90-carat-vintage-art-deco-engagement-ring

2. What about this one? I think that stone looks really yellow - and I wonder if it is overpriced or just about right?

I did contact them and they said it they could make me a replica setting in platinum (different center stone would be needed).

http://raymondleejewelers.net/products/products-page/diamondsdiamond-engagement-rings/vintage-style-1-52ct-old-european-cut-diamond-engagement-ring/

I think these are both examples of rings that wouldn't necessarily need/fit a band because of the shape. I could just wear it as an everything ring. (Not just an engagement ring). Plus I am sure I could always convince the BF to buy me a pretty band later if I wanted to wear a band alone. :)

Looking for a critique of these rings and/or links to other rings that could be alternate or even improved versions?

First one is too large for a 1.5 carat stone. But something like it would be lovely.

Second one is IMO very overpriced. I doubt it's a true K. Looks much more tinted.

You can easily get something like that. Look at the first couple stones I posted for you. The Canera Round. And the AVR. Those are trust K's and will be a creamy white color in some light, white in others. Those would be the best choice. And they leave you plenty of money for a nice setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call Adam at Old World Diamonds (NY).

Show him those settings. The Beverly K and the two in the post I just responded to. The one from Erstwhile. Ask him to send you pictures of similar settings he has in stock. He has a lovely setting selection, it's just not online. And his prices are very reasonable. And he has gorgeous old cuts. I would ask him for an 11k old cut in I-J color and eyeclean at 1.5 carats and ask him to send you pictures.

Post everything here for us.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, Those two are stunners! I would love to own the second one if I could. It's so pretty!!!!! OP, these two reflect bold vs delicate, but both beautiful!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparklySoprano|1464394098|4037164 said:
Gypsy, Those two are stunners! I would love to own the second one if I could. It's so pretty!!!!! OP, these two reflect bold vs delicate, but both beautiful!

Ohh, I love the 1.58 carat one :) It's incredible and would look great!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty.

Okay, the more I think about it - the more I think I am leaning toward a bezel halo.

Either:

1. Something with a little extra going on so it could stand alone. I don't love split shanks, but maybe there is something else I haven't seen?

2. Just abandoning the 'one ring total' idea and going for a halo + dainty band.

But you know what stresses me out? I don't see how bands can fit neatly alongside many halos (maybe not flush, but close enough)?

That plus the fact that I really want everything for $15k max, so now that means finding a lesser expensive halo ring in order to afford a band, too. Maybe. Ugh.

I emailed Love Affair Diamonds and she did say that it would be no big deal to take one of their halos and make it a little lower profile.

I like the Clara:
https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/CvBs-Signature-and-Custom-Sett/The-TClaraS-Halo-Setting-8-Featu/i-s7qdX7X

The clara is shown with a 2 carat stone. I wonder would a 1.5 center look teensy or also quite eye-catching like that? I wish I could see it with a 1.5ish stone.

I am wondering, though, if I would like a less floral halo and more perfectly symmetrical/round one?

Does anyone feel like suggesting more halos for me - ones that meet the above descriptions?

I'll keep scanning the links/retailers suggested, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Seville halo. I think it's a standalone and will look amazing with a 1.5 carat stone.

The CVB ring is nice too, also a standalone. And I think I'd prefer it with a 1.5 carat stone.

I personally prefer the Seville one in terms of style.

The gallery of many halos can be made to fit a completely flush fit band. I have one such ring myself. You just have to know what to look for.

This one could be modified for a flush band: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-casablanca-halo-setting/

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/vintage-platinum-milgrain-engagement-ring-pid-1060-44.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The issue with the flush fit band is the low profile requirement. You can't really have a stable large halo design AND a flush fit band AND low profile. So it's either the low profile or the flush fit band .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know CVB has made the Casablanca with just under 1 ct! So I am pretty sure she can make the Clara with a 1.5 ct. I agree with Gypsy that 1.5 is a good size for a halo. I really love the Casablanca but my stone would make the ring too big!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results