shape
carat
color
clarity

Abortion Ban Victory in OK

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow seeing the quotation that Jane Smith had posted in what I guess is called "meme" form, caused me not to read it carefully. Today I did and was very impressed. I couldn't copy it from her posting, so I went elsewhere on the web to find it and quote it. I had never heard of Sister Joan Chittister, but what I read about her impressed me very much. She is my kind of person.

I never posted about the recent death of Father Daniel Berrigan. Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/nyregion/daniel-j-berrigan-defiant-priest-who-preached-pacifism-dies-at-94.html?_r=0

However, I couldn't help but think of the Berrigan brothers again when I read about Sister Joan Chittister. Father Daniel Berrigan and Father Philip Berrigan (who later left the priesthood) lay everything on the line to oppose the Vietnam War and then later wars, Father Daniel Berrigan protesting against Iraq and Afghanistan into his 90's because of his pacifism. He also opposed abortion. But these were men of principle, men who truly valued life and went to jail (again and again) to try to save innocent lives being lost in foreign wars. They were not dictators and oppressors who sat safely in legislatures and made rules for others to follow.

Sister Joan Chittister said, "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

I am very glad that I saw this. I will remember the phrase, "pro-birth". It is easy to be "pro-birth" if it is someone else whom you are trying to force into pregnancy and childbirth.

I have always been against late-term abortion. In my own opinion, early on an egg and a sperm join and are have no ability to feel. I do not see them as a human being.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, the term "meme" comes from the French word meaning "same." In internet terms it means to share the same thing over and over again. Neat, huh!? :bigsmile:

One of my first teachers was Sister Joan. She has retired but I saw her a few years ago when I moved back home. She is a good egg, as well. The priests you spoke of who were pacifists and fought against war and abortion are the kind of people I have respect for. Not because I agree with their beliefs, necessarily, but because they took it to the fullest extent and opposed all killing. What I have a hard time with as far as *some* in the pro-life movementis that while they are adamantly opposed to abortion at any stage, they are NOT opposed to going to war with other countries and picking and choosing whom to kill. You won't abort, but you'll send your son to die in a war where other people's kids are also being killed? How messed up is that? :shock:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1464102398|4035755 said:
Deb, the term "meme" comes from the French word meaning "same." In internet terms it means to share the same thing over and over again. Neat, huh!?

It is, actually, ironic that I never understood the etymon because I speak French. However, I always heard the word, when it was written amongst English words, pronounced as "meem" in my head. The French word for "same", "même", is of course, pronounced "mem". Thank you, Monnie!

Deb :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1464106550|4035785 said:
Deb, the term "meme" comes from the French word meaning "same." In internet terms it means to share the same thing over and over again. Neat, huh!?

It is, actually, ironic that I never understood the etymon because I speak French. However, I always heard the word, when it was written amongst English words, pronounced as "meem" in my head. The French word for "same", "même", is of course, pronounced "mem". Thank you, Monnie!

It is in fact pronounced meet ::)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464227604|4036344 said:
AGBF|1464106550|4035785 said:

It is in fact pronounced meet ::)

Meet with a "t", not meem with an "m"? Or "meet" in the sense that there is a long "e" sound rather than a short "e" sound?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I pronounce it meem. have I been saying it wrong??? Gah. This is what I get for trying to be a part of what the young'uns are doin these days.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I resorted to an on-line dictionary since Niel didn't reappear instantly. :read: She must have meant that "meme" had a long "e" sound. When someone on a dictionary site pronounced it, the person said, "meem". ;))

Deb
:saint:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whew. I'm hip. And also with it. :lol:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I pronounce it "meem!" :lol:

Didn't meant to start a controversy. People pronounce words all kinds of ways, so I remain unconvinced there is a right or wrong way!

Was merely pointing out the etymology of the term. :saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1464251705|4036435 said:

Didn't meant to start a controversy. People pronounce words all kinds of ways, so I remain unconvinced there is a right or wrong way!

When you start pointing out things like etymology on a website visited by people of different sexes and religions it can only lead to trouble. When Ella bans this thread, it will now be your fault, Monnie. And up until now, things were going so well. An abortion thread! And you ruined it!

Deb

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1464229096|4036356 said:
I resorted to an on-line dictionary since Niel didn't reappear instantly. :read: She must have meant that "meme" had a long "e" sound. When someone on a dictionary site pronounced it, the person said, "meem". ;))

Deb
I did sorry. My auto correct isn't as hip as we are, apparently lol

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1464254186|4036441 said:
monarch64|1464251705|4036435 said:

When you start pointing out things like etymology on a website visited by people of different sexes and religions it can only lead to trouble. When Ella bans this thread, it will now be your fault, Monnie. And up until now, things were going so well. An abortion thread! And you ruined it!

Deb

:lol: Mme. Bell (my high school French teacher) would be proud! Which reminds me--did you hear about this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9097054/Mademoiselle-banned-on-official-French-forms.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1464276361|4036514 said:
:lol: Mme. Bell (my high school French teacher) would be proud! Which reminds me--did you hear about this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9097054/Mademoiselle-banned-on-official-French-forms.html

No, I didn't, Monnie, and if you hadn't told me I wouldn't have known. I find that I keep up less and less with the laws and customs in France and Italy. My husband sometimes doesn't believe me if I tell him that one of our relatives (technically, his relative) has told me of a change of law in Italy. He just cannot comprehend that society could change so much. [That occurred when a cousin's wife told me that her last name was such-and-such, not her husband's family name. My husband refused to accept that that could be true. He told me that I was wrong. ;)) ] I feel a little nostalgic for the term, "mademoiselle", though. I filled out many forms with my "nom de jeune fille" (maiden name). Since French people always greet you and say good-bye to you with your title, it used to matter whether you were "Mademoiselle" or"Madame". So I also have fond memories of being asked which I was and engaging in conversation about my marital status at the épicérie (grocery store).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-The students in my seventh grade French class used to call our French teacher (Mademoiselle Montgomery), "Millie" due to the abbreviation for "Mademoiselle" (which is "Mlle"). I wonder if that was commonplace in the French classes of students all around the US!

Deb
:read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results