shape
carat
color
clarity

Found after 70 years, someone's hope.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
This ring and necklace, carefully wrapped and secreted away, represents the last glimmer of hope for a Jewish woman and her family. Hope that they won't be robbed, hope that they are maybe just being resettled.
This ring and necklace hid well. The nazis never saw them or even knew they were there. The cup, their hiding place, was liberated, but it's owners, probably not.
This ring and necklace has been passed by a thousand times by strangers, never knowing of the beauty of the hope that lay inside; until one day when time overcame the cup, and someone saw them for the first time in seventy years.
This ring and necklace will not be worn by their owner, nor her children or grandchildren probably never born. But they will be admired again, and they still carry with them the hope for a better future.

http://auschwitz.org/en/museum/news/gold-ring-found-under-a-double-bottom-after-more-than-70-years,1200.html

_3694.jpeg

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
So, so incredibly sad. A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of hearing my friend's great-uncle talk about his experience as a Holocaust survivor and it struck me that I'm probably part of the last generation that will get to hear these stories first hand.

And I find it unbelievable that there are people (some of them in my own family) who deny that the Holocaust even occurred.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1463746515|4033935 said:
So, so incredibly sad. A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of hearing my friend's great-uncle talk about his experience as a Holocaust survivor and it struck me that I'm probably part of the last generation that will get to hear these stories first hand.

And I find it unbelievable that there are people (some of them in my own family) who deny that the Holocaust even occurred.

I wish I found it unbelievable. I don't, though. Too many people lack the capacity for critical thinking and are total sheep who will believe anything anyone tells them when it appeals to their own ego. How did Hitler gain a following in the first place, you know? :shock:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting this J. I am always struck in reading stories of how the Jewish people (and others) dealt with life under Hitler, of their incredible ingenuity. Think The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heartbreaking. The holocaust is one of those topics I can take in in only small amounts.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1463769547|4034087 said:
Trekkie|1463746515|4033935 said:

I wish I found it unbelievable. I don't, though. Too many people lack the capacity for critical thinking and are total sheep who will believe anything anyone tells them when it appeals to their own ego. How did Hitler gain a following in the first place, you know? :shock:

This.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results