shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller 3 stone ring quality?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell Yekutiel your concerns. He will make sure they are addressed.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177 said:
Argh, so Yekutiel called me and said that Vatche's setting does a 84% diameter ratio, so .5ct side stone (each) to 1 ct. center, otherwise it will be extra to change the proportions. He found really nice .5 ct diamonds for me and is going to price everything real well (although way more than I wanted to pay). I will look at them with my diamond next week, but I don't think I will be happy with that ratio. The Stuller ring had way smaller sidestones and I just don't care for the larger proportions on my finger (although it could be the setting is more the issue). My options:

• Yekutiel will custom make a ring for me. He won't even offer Stuller since it is too thin.
    Go with my local jeweler for the Stuller anyway and source my sidestones myself to get certed.
    Scrap the idea since the above options make me nervous. I was going to get a second RHR with a 1 ct. old cut in a bezel setting, so I could repurpose this diamond instead.

What would you do? I am panicking! :cry:

Oh goodness, I had no idea that Vatche's setting is for an 84% ratio. That's unfortunate (in my opinion!). I would stick to your guns with the 0.3 sides though as I think that's a really elegant ratio with your center stone. Even if you ultimately go with the Stuller I don't think I would go with your jeweler since you mentioned you don't completely trust them to set your stones perfectly. Also, I still think you should get another quote for the Stuller to price compare.

If your heart is set on a 3 stone, then that is what I think you should get! Here's an old thread I had saved in my research for 3 stones. I wish the OP posted photos of the gallery, but it really looks beautiful. In the first link he was deciding between 2 CAD's and I actually really like the one he didn't go with (it's the red wax model). It's not a true trellis, but it has some swoopy curves which are really nice.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-setting-advice.186239/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-setting-advice.186239/page-2[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-is-ready.187048/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-is-ready.187048/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-and-i-have-pictures-to-prove-it.188638/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-and-i-have-pictures-to-prove-it.188638/[/URL]

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1463420868|4032327 said:
Oh goodness, a sales person who had to guess on the sizes of the stones in the sample ring? Yikes, that is pitiful. I have a 1.65 ct mrb that I am thinking of making into a three stone is why I asked. I like the proportions of that first 3 stone you posted.

I am glad you were talking about a mrb center! lol! Scared me for a second! But by all means with .30 up, I would want graded side stones.

Hi Diamondseeker! I hope you see this! I called and made them measure the stones on the Stuller setting. The center is 7mm and the sides are 3.8mm, so probably 1.25ct and .2ct each sidestone. The size of the sidestones sure surprised me but she measured a couple of times. Does it surprise you? I thought I would pass on the info since you asked.

Also, now you got me thinking on the center stone size, because I really like the look of the stuller which has a larger center. Darn you! :lol: I am now going to ask the jeweler I got the 1 ct from if they can get bigger. I highly doubt it though, at least with a nice cut. I was quite shocked that they had a nice cut 1ct.! (The only reason I bought it was because I had some old earring studs that I totally overpaid for 10+ years ago, so I traded them in. Net, net this was my best option.) I also have asked ID Jeweler what they can get in a 7mm stone, since I most likely will be keeping the 1ct. I know... then I will have 2 MRBs for an RHR and no old cut with this option. Thank goodness I like MRBs!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy - Thanks! I tried on some more 3 stones today and I definitely like the smaller sides. I let Yekutiel know that today.

JDDN - Thanks for the links! They are really helpful and I am leaning toward this option, although I am hoping it can look more like the Stuller!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not go custom. It's not for the faint-hearted! Ask Yekutiel about a Unique Settings mounting. See what he thinks. It will be better quality than the Stuller, and there are tons of different size combinations.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fyi this is the Unique Settings mounting that comes closest to Stuller #121882 (and Vatche #319), and it is lighter in weight than the Stuller even tho' it has more metal. So I'd be surprised if Yekutiel considers it a better choice than #121882.
http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/32786

Have you thought about using pears, instead of MRBs, for the side stones?

3stone_with_pears.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1463609777|4033334 said:
diamondseeker2006|1463420868|4032327 said:
Oh goodness, a sales person who had to guess on the sizes of the stones in the sample ring? Yikes, that is pitiful. I have a 1.65 ct mrb that I am thinking of making into a three stone is why I asked. I like the proportions of that first 3 stone you posted.

I am glad you were talking about a mrb center! lol! Scared me for a second! But by all means with .30 up, I would want graded side stones.

Hi Diamondseeker! I hope you see this! I called and made them measure the stones on the Stuller setting. The center is 7mm and the sides are 3.8mm, so probably 1.25ct and .2ct each sidestone. The size of the sidestones sure surprised me but she measured a couple of times. Does it surprise you? I thought I would pass on the info since you asked.

Also, now you got me thinking on the center stone size, because I really like the look of the stuller which has a larger center. Darn you! :lol: I am now going to ask the jeweler I got the 1 ct from if they can get bigger. I highly doubt it though, at least with a nice cut. I was quite shocked that they had a nice cut 1ct.! (The only reason I bought it was because I had some old earring studs that I totally overpaid for 10+ years ago, so I traded them in. Net, net this was my best option.) I also have asked ID Jeweler what they can get in a 7mm stone, since I most likely will be keeping the 1ct. I know... then I will have 2 MRBs for an RHR and no old cut with this option. Thank goodness I like MRBs!

Not a single thing wrong with mrbs! Thank you for the measurements! That sounds more like the proportions in that picture with the smallest side stones on the three-stone ring chart. I really like that, too, and I sincerely think a 1.25 would work better in a right hand ring.

I would give your jeweler these measurements if you decide to see if you can trade the 1 ct stone:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results