shape
carat
color
clarity

Today is national walnut day, and some awesome recipes

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking up walnuts today because I eat so much of them - I have them every day, either for a snack, or in my oatmeal, or in my yogurt - or all of the above. I just love them, and I love them even more because I know they're so good for you.

And I found out today happens to be National Walnut Day.

I also ran into this blog...with some of what seem to be super delicious healthy recipes that include walnuts (the oatmeal one looks amazing.)

So I thought I'd share. :))

If any of you make the recipes (since it usually takes me forever to make things by the time I get around to it) ::) let me know how they turn out.

http://deliciouslyella.com/ingredients/walnuts/

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite walnut dishes is...FESENJAN - Persian chicken In pomegranate walnut sauce! Party in the mouth! Mmm... Need to get some ...soon! :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put several in my morning steel-cut oatmeal.

Then our doggies and birdie get some walnut too.

Yum Yum Yum.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love walnuts, thanks for sharing CJ.

My favorites are pistachios and cashews and almonds however. I eat them by the pound each week lol. :oops: :lickout:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a recipe I recently took to a baby shower for my niece. It got rave reviews and several people asked for the recipe. Delish!
(not as sickeningly sweet as all the sugar might suggest, the sour cream cuts it)

Christmas Candied Walnuts

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
6 c. walnuts

Put sugars into saucepan and mix; add sour cream. Stir while cooking to the soft ball stage. Turn off heat and add vanilla, stir til fairly thick. Add the nuts and stir to evenly coat. Turn out onto a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot (I skip this step, don't think it needs it) Let nuts cool and break apart.

Enjoy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to share this recipe.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/warm_green_bean_salad_with_toasted_walnuts.html

INGREDIENTS
DRESSING
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar

Red Wine Vinegar Italian Style
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons walnut oil
SALAD
12 ounces haricots verts, (see Ingredient Note) or green beans, stem ends trimmed

Green Beans

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
6 cups mâche, (see Ingredient Note) or Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size

PREPARATION
To prepare dressing: Whisk shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
Cook haricots verts (or green beans), uncovered, in a large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender; 3 to 4 minutes for haricots verts, 4 to 6 minutes for green beans. Drain, refresh under cold water and pat dry.
Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
To prepare salad: Combine the beans, tomatoes and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing. Divide mâche (or lettuce) among 6 salad plates. Spoon bean mixture onto the greens, sprinkle with the walnuts and serve.

TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Blanch beans (Step 2) up to 8 hours ahead; store in the refrigerator in a plastic bag lined with paper towels.
Ingredient Notes: Haricots verts is simply French for "green beans." However, the term is often used for the very slender beans, also called French beans, found in produce markets.
Mâche ("mosh"), also known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores and farmers' markets.

NUTRITION
Per serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 827 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).

_3680.jpeg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipe Missy, that dressing sounds simple and yummy. My kind of recipe!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys!

kenny do you feed them walnuts as a treat or because they're good for them? or both? (I wouldn't think that nuts would be "suitable/safe" for animals - but guess they are. Wonder if they're safe for cats? I'll look it up.)

Pinto, FESENJAN sounds delish...heavy...but delicious!

Thanks missy and Ellen for sharing those recipes!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a really old Walnut tree that my husband cut down several houses ago (long story and I was in tears at the time but apparently it was full of grubs, was a danger to everyone and had to go.....) and when it had walnuts, the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos loved it, they went crazy over Walnuts so they are not dangerous to birds.... Cockatoos look cute in ones or twos but we used to get this huge flock of 100+ of them all screeching loudly at sunrise and sunset, which drove us nuts...... :lol:

I love Walnuts on top of chocolate icing on top of chocolate cake.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1463666297|4033507 said:
kenny do you feed them walnuts as a treat or because they're good for them? or both? (I wouldn't think that nuts would be "suitable/safe" for animals - but guess they are.)

Thanks for making me curious.
I looked it up and some nuts are okay, but others not recommended for dogs.
Per this link I'd better nix the walnuts for the doggies.

They'll be mad. :angryfire:
They run into the kitchen when they hear me prepare my oatmeal.
They stare holes through the back of my head till they get their walnut.

http://www.wagthedoguk.com/2014/08/22/bad-nuts-for-dogs/

Walnuts are okay for parrots though.

Thanks. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let them know auntie CJ was looking out for them! ::)

(man they're going to be so confused when papa just stops giving them walnuts. :( I feel bad for them. And for you.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1463675926|4033566 said:
Let them know auntie CJ was looking out for them! ::)

(man they're going to be so confused when papa just stops giving them walnuts. :( I feel bad for them. And for you.)

Well, I'll give each a peanut.
They love those, and they're on the OkieDokie list.

Thanks again.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I make stuffed Acorn squash with walnuts (or pecans, depending on what I have). Cut squash in half and clean out. Fill void with nuts. Place cavity-side down in pan with about 1/2 to 1 cup of water. Bake for 1 hour at 350. Remove from pan and put butter and brown sugar on top and enjoy. SO GOOD!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the recipes everyone. That fresenjan looks so good! I love muhammara, so will probably love this. And so much history!
"This rich, tangy Iranian chicken stew from Azita Houshiar is a highlight of the Persian holiday Shab-e Yalda, a winter-solstice tradition that predates Islam by thousands of years." - The NY Times.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like walnuts best soaked.

Get whole raw walnuts. Soak them in water over night. Peel and enjoy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith|1463803863|4034308 said:
Thanks for all the recipes everyone. That fresenjan looks so good! I love muhammara, so will probably love this. And so much history!
"This rich, tangy Iranian chicken stew from Azita Houshiar is a highlight of the Persian holiday Shab-e Yalda, a winter-solstice tradition that predates Islam by thousands of years." - The NY Times.

Fesenjan is a difficult dish to make if you've never had it. I hate it, but my husband (my Italian American husband) loves it. Actually, many Americans like it. My grandmother was a pro at making it. And I make it OCCASIONALLY ( I learned it from my grandmother), but with pecans because I don't like it with walnuts, actually.

I hated it as a child. I don't like sweet stews. And this one is VERY unfortunately looking. I used to call it tar pit stew.

It's supposed to be very tart and sweet, balanced between the two. You have to get good quality pomegranate molasses. Make sure the walnuts are fresh and not old. Use lots of onion and fresh good quality turmeric.

Also it is BEST with game fowl. As the meat has enough flavor to stand up the sauce. If you make it with chicken breast it can get lost, so use dark meat as it is more flavorful. Turkey thighs are actually pretty good with it. One of the few dishes that's better with turkey than chicken.

You should try it at a GOOD persian restaurant first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results