shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

S

SparkliesLuver

Good size, well cut, nice color, great price. :)

Nigerian Tourmaline
1.83 cts
7.6mm round brilliant
$201
This tourmaline comes from an alluvial deposit near Ibadan, close to the border with Benin. It has a medium to medium/light peachy pink color under incandescent lighting and a hot pink color in natural light. Cut from a beautiful nodule, it is flawless at 10x and very bright.
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=5066

t-1586g_1358_general.jpg

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I am glad someone posted this ring. Can someone comment on the second picture in the listing please? For my own education, is it normal for the stone to look like that? Is it a bad picture? Thanks! :confused: I think the ring is lovely!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the second picture may be photographed in very low lighting. For example- daylight in a room without overhead lights on but far enough away from a window that no light shines on the stone. Or....the picture is taken with the camera obstructing the lighting source. No doubt the stone will look like that some of the time, but maybe just in the worst lighting. Hard to tell without the stone in hand.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is very nicely cut, but it's my opinion that the cutting is all this ring has going for it. The stone is very gray, bicolor and looks to be included. And I'm not big on jewelery but those prongs are very large, too large and square to be flattering to my eye.

Its so rare to see a Montana Sapphire with pleasing color. Some people love them, I don't see the appeal.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1457923991|4004767 said:
The stone is very nicely cut, but it's my opinion that the cutting is all this ring has going for it. The stone is very gray, bicolor and looks to be included. And I'm not big on jewelery but those prongs are very large, too large and square to be flattering to my eye.

Its so rare to see a Montana Sapphire with pleasing color. Some people love them, I don't see the appeal.

I have noticed that many Montana Sapphires have a greyish tone to them. Glad to hear you opinion on this stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilysweet|1457922031|4004743 said:
I am glad someone posted this ring. Can someone comment on the second picture in the listing please? For my own education, is it normal for the stone to look like that? Is it a bad picture? Thanks! :confused: I think the ring is lovely!
There isn't a "normal" for all stones because each CS will have its own quirks. Note that there is a large eye visible inclusion (step cuts show this more easily) and the stone is silky, all of which has been disclosed by the seller.

Greg,
The prongs are called tab prongs, very specific to an antique style meant to highlight the shape of the stone and wide shoulders.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1457923991|4004767 said:

Tab prongs are often preferred for square cuts. The side diamonds are bright and lively, and the gold is rich and modern. Overall it has a very generic yet organic feel. Very rabecca overmann.

The stone and style may not be to your taste, people can see for themselves if they like the color, and the style is actually pretty popular now

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not an expert and can't speak for every Montana out there, but based on looking at mine, I'll say that light source REALLY matters in terms of the color and character you see. Natural light on overcast days is the best, but mine goes dark steel greyish-blue under many of the lights in my house. From other pics I've seen this is a more pronounced shift than you might get with sapphires from other locations or that are more pure colors. They definitely tend to be grayer. I'd guess this ring looks closer to that second picture indoors most of the time, and guessing the first picture is under really ideal lighting. I still think it's beautiful, but montanas are really not for everyone :)

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
deskjockey|1457967145|4005061 said:

I'm not an expert and can't speak for every Montana out there, but based on looking at mine, I'll say that light source REALLY matters in terms of the color and character you see. Natural light on overcast days is the best, but mine goes dark steel greyish-blue under many of the lights in my house. From other pics I've seen this is a more pronounced shift than you might get with sapphires from other locations or that are more pure colors. They definitely tend to be grayer. I'd guess this ring looks closer to that second picture indoors most of the time, and guessing the first picture is under really ideal lighting. I still think it's beautiful, but montanas are really not for everyone :)

I'm also so happy that someone posted this ring! I've been oogling it for a while during my own search for a Montana sapphire. I think it's beautiful and really hope that it finds it's way to a lucky owner's hand soon! Considering it's size, that it's set in 18kt gold and what I've learned about these stones, the price is very reasonable as well. The wonderful thing about Montanas is that they look different in every kind of light, just some light is more complementary than others. Thank you all for the wonderful discussion! It's great to hear everyone's opinions! :twirl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1458150432|4006179 said:
If I didn't already have one almost exactly like it, I'd snap it up...so someone should! :)

Tourmaline
7.55cts
11 x 11 x 8mm
$1,300
https://neweragems.com/product/tourmaline-7-55-cts/

The problem I have with Jordan's photos (I assume that's one that Jordan might have cut and photographed?) is that he makes it more of a "glamor" shot than a straight, neutral background photo. In other words, its hard for me to gauge the real color of the stone in hand in normal, every day lighting. But that said, if its anything like its glamor shot, its a very pretty stone!

S

SparkliesLuver

Yay! :appl: Super happy someone scooped it up. Please, please post pictures when you receive it!

bianka

Rough_Rock
I read in another thread that colored stones are moving more slowly . . . Bumping this in hopes that there are good deals out here . . . .

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
12803004_10207293574715669_1570252123880879795_n.jpg

Perfect heart shape, listed by Johannes Orstadius on FB. :love:

Orange/red spess heart, eyeclean.
6.89 ct 12.79 x 11.06 x 6.84mm
Previously $1277, now reduced to $500!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1462280568|4026506 said:
12803004_10207293574715669_1570252123880879795_n.jpg

Perfect heart shape, listed by Johannes Orstadius on FB. :love:

Orange/red spess heart, eyeclean.
6.89 ct 12.79 x 11.06 x 6.84mm
Previously $1277, now reduced to $500!

Just came here to post this one! It's incredible, and I hope a PSer snags it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this on the Mastercut website. Huge and gorgeous!

Pics first:
36228.jpg
36225.jpg

Description from Dana:
Sale Price:$ 1,190.00
Clarity:flawless
Color:Green-Blue
Cut:Freeform tapered rectangle
Notes:I have had this material since 1998 and bought it from a gentleman whose family was the largest Australian opal importer in the USA. They were from Texas and when their son was cleaning out the storage sheds he came across a bag of gem silica and I was fortunate enough to be able to pick from the bag. This along with my jelly gem Sugilite, Australian opal, and imperial Chrysoprase are my all time favorite cabochon gems... This is a flawless piece and will make a very fine piece of jewelry !!!
Origin:Ray Mine Arizona
Size:21.8 mm long x 13 Widest and 11.3 Narrowx6.5mm, 15.76 carat
Treatment:none

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1462403781|4027368 said:
I think this is a fantastic deal: https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/1-dot-21-carat-precision-cut-burmese-spinel-neon-pinkish-red-price-reduction
I was the original owner and this price is way less than I paid a few years ago, on sale!

1.21 ct, 6.6 mm, 550 dollars.

THANK YOU so much for posting this as I've regretted not buying this stone since joining PS! I had never spent that much on a stone, was new to the concept of buying gems on-line and sort of set on a magenta mahenge. I've kept the picture (below) ever since as my ideal for a hot pink. When I later figure out it was probably an NKOTB pink, I was really kicking myself. Anyway, I contacted the seller who confirmed from my picture (below) that it's the same stone and it's finally mine!! :dance: I feel like I've come full circle. It was meant to be from the start, right?

thumbnail_wv_spinel.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have warmed the cockles of my heart, lilmosun! I hope you love the stone and post many pics of how you set it! :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very happy the Mahenge is now in the hands of another PSer! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1462449358|4027554 said:
I'm very happy the Mahenge is now in the hands of another PSer! :appl:

Do you mean Mahenge or the Burmese formerly owned by NKOTB? ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh? I meant the Burmese pink spinel.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1462483445|4027819 said:
Eh? I meant the Burmese pink spinel.

Yes it's Burmese...but it looks like it came from Mahenge :love:

Shortly after joining PS, I got pulled into all the pictures of mahenges and started a thread about wanting one. A very nice PSer let me know about a friend who had a hot pure pink Burmese spinel that I might be interested in. She had been holding onto it because of the color despite owning lots of top pink spinels. While I was tickled by her reaching out (especially as I was new to PS), I really didn't know enough about what I was looking for. Admittedly, I probably passed in part because I had "need a Mahenge" on the brain....despite being told it looked just like a top color mahenge and side-by-side pictures of the stone next to various Mahenge spinels. NKOTB - please thank your friend (if you remember who she is and she doesn't see this)....I probably wouldn't have jumped on it this time if she hadn't contacted me and I hadn't regretted it since. I remember her asking, without pressure, why country of origin mattered (now I know that no one will ask but here, lol). And yes, I will keep you posted with pictures :)

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
ooh, great buy, lilmosun! :appl: Can't wait to see what you do with it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've done very well lilmosun! That Burmese is lovely. Please take pics when you get it. :))

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I like everything about this stone. Color may not be super "ideal" but it is very very good.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?147038103

Price $2465
Color description Medium Violetish Blue
Light source Studio Daylight
Clarity Eye clean
Shape Round
Cutting Portuguese
Length 6.70 mm
Width 6.70 mm
Depth 4.1 mm
Weight 1.450 cts
Enhancement (H) Heat Enhancement