shape
carat
color
clarity

Giving my engagament ring a facelift

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I always get the best setting info here.

I have always had a few minor problems with my engagement ring, and I'm thinking about giving it a bit of a facelift. I'm not sure what can be done to it, leaving the actual ring in place. It was blessed by a priest at our wedding, and this means a lot to me. I don't want a new setting. It's a pretty standard late 90's 3 stone ring in platinum.

1. The side trillions don't sparkle. I'm guessing they don't have a very good cut since the clarity and color are good. Or are trillions just duds? They have some white light return, but they seem kind of flat, and have little fire. Is it relatively easy to get them replaced? How do I go about doing this?

2. The prongs. I've always been very "meh" about the prongs. I had them re-tipped recently and they look like junk. I really want to get them redone by someone who knows that they are doing. Is is possible to have blobby prongs remade in to graceful claw prongs? It's a standard basket setting.

Which brings me to #3-

3. The profile is very boring. I'm thinking this one is something I will have to deal with, but it would be nice to add some interest to the side view, since I see it so much. Maybe some little diamonds to the basket or something. Would that be impossible at this point, since I don't want a new setting? I also don't want to change how it looks from the top.

If any of this stuff can be done, how do I go about doing it? Are there any vendors your recommend that will just remake the prongs? It seems like kind of a small job.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post some pictures of your ring?

I think a lot depends on what you are OK w/ replacing of the ring?

Prongs can be redone and baskets/heads of the ring can be replaced while using the original ring shank. Shanks can be engraved, milgrain can be added, etc.
Is keeping the original center stone and the shank enough?

I am going to have my engagement ring reset using the original main stone as well as the 6 side/accent stones, but the setting is going to be completely new.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can we see pictures?

Lots of people have had prong rehab and it works just fine, but it sounds like that's not really all you'd like. I'm sure any vendor will happily sell you a new pair of side stones, provided they fit in your setting.

I also agree that when you get into replacing all this stuff, and all your left with is the shank- is that going to be enough of your original ring to retain the sentimentality?

I'm assuming you also had your wedding bands blessed at your wedding? What about resetting the engagement ring stone into something you like better, keeping the original blessed wedding band? You could get the new ring blessed on your anniversary (or, asap, whichever makes you more comfortable.) Also, if you're Catholic, there are blessings for gold on Epiphany, so lots of people get their rings etc blessed then as well.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm having trouble uploading pictures. Apparently my husband has filled both of my computers up with Go Pro videos.

The profile view looks pretty much identical to this one on the WhiteFlash site:
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/set-in-stone-threestone-ring-settings-810.htm

The only difference is that the outer prongs on the trillions are v-prongs and don't connect all the way through like on the WhiteFlash example. They are rounded trillions, if that makes a difference, as well, in the sparkle of the stones.

I'd like the shank to stay the same. That counts as the ring, in my opinion, and I do like the face up look, aside from the prongs on the center diamond. The trillions are set slightly differently from the top than other 3 stone rings I have seen, and I like that. Instead of prongs nearest the center stone they are set with a very small bar, and then a v-tip prong on the point. The ring pinches in slightly at that point. I'm trying to find a stock setting that looks like it until I can get some photos, but I'm striking out. It seems like most 3 stone settings with trillions have prongs on all 3 of the trillions' points. All in all I love the ring, there are just a couple of little details that could use some polish, in my opinion.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I tried to upload from my phone. Hopefully this works.

So you see the prongs are a joke. And this is the re-do, they were worse before.

_3563.jpeg

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bump. Any suggestions? What work could be done, and who would you recommend to do it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you give us a straight on head shot?

My thoughts were...

Lower the center stone...while fixing the prongs.
Replace the trillions if they dont sparkle.
What about engraving on your shank? I think that might be lovely plus...your center basket bar is wide enough
to engrave so you could do it there to tie it all together.
Similar to EvangelineG's ring...except I might only do the engraving on the top of your shank and not the sides.

Here is another one that shows the basket bar engraved. The top of this shank is also engraved. This beauty belongs
to Michelez.

Just a few ideas for remodel...

Both those rings I posted are David Klass beauties. I wonder if he would take on a remodel. I know he has "fixed" other peoples
rings so maybe so.

evangelineg_ring.jpg

engraved_basket.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the bottom side showing the engraving on that Michelez ring I posted above...

show_engraving.jpg

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry the quality is terrible. My dexterity is poor and rings are hard to photograph. It's not that yellow in real life, the walls in that room are mustard.

_3585.jpeg

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The engraving is a really good idea, so thank you for that.

I do like it set high, though, because then I can see the stone from every angle. It's an antique cut (if you look close you can see the culet), and I like seeing all the little wonky details. If the basket was thinner, it could be lowered, but would it be as strong structurally?

The ring is platinum, in case I didn't mention it. The whole photo skews so yellow in that picture it looks like unplated white gold.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And a side view.

_3586.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the prongs. Way bigger than they need to be. I wonder if maybe its the angles that the trilliants are
set at that might be causing them not to sparkle. I wonder what they look like when they are not set? I think it just needs a little
face lift . If you do any engraving then you wedding band will need a little face lift to go with it.

Do you like claw prongs? If you like it set high then by all means, leave it high. You might look around and see if you can find
some engraving that you like. Engraving will go nicely with an old cut stone.

Here is a link to an engraved 3 stone just FYI.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2-6uWwNfMAhXIHB4KHb1vBywQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1800loosediamonds.com%2Fvintage-style-3-stone-engraved-diamond-engagement-ring-1797.html&psig=AFQjCNGoppLbsejz7So_VADWGsXR1zcTLA&ust=1463244312798469

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do like claw prongs. In fact, I was hoping to be able to put in double claw prongs, just for a little added security, plus I think they're pretty. I'm ridiculously attached to that stone, and I don't want to risk losing it. I'm a terrible photographer, but it is a stunner in person. There's just something charming about the older facets and goofy girdle.

I'll contact David Klass and see if he is willing to do some work on it. I'm going to be in LA in a couple of weeks to pick up some more bee hives, so maybe I can make a run to where he is and see what he says about fixing it up.

Maybe I need to let some of the sentimentality go, too. It's not like we're less married if I need a new setting. My husband certainly doesn't care as long as I keep the center diamond. I need to think about it more.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From someone who just set an OEC, I certainly understand why you are keen on your stone. I hope David Klass is willing to take
it on. I think he would do a wonderful job!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are wanting a whole new setting! There are too many things to change about this one to get it like you really want. As for the trillions, they just probably aren't going to be as brilliant as a round no matter how many different pairs you try. I personally think round sides of a similar size as the trillions would give you what you are wanting, but matching two old cuts to go with your center will require some searching.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1463177893|4031455 said:
I do like claw prongs. In fact, I was hoping to be able to put in double claw prongs, just for a little added security, plus I think they're pretty. I'm ridiculously attached to that stone, and I don't want to risk losing it. I'm a terrible photographer, but it is a stunner in person. There's just something charming about the older facets and goofy girdle.

I'll contact David Klass and see if he is willing to do some work on it. I'm going to be in LA in a couple of weeks to pick up some more bee hives, so maybe I can make a run to where he is and see what he says about fixing it up.

Maybe I need to let some of the sentimentality go, too. It's not like we're less married if I need a new setting. My husband certainly doesn't care as long as I keep the center diamond. I need to think about it more.

I love the ideas that everyone has given you.

Just thought I would share my idea that if you do go ahead with major changes or even a new setting, you could ask your priest to give another blessing over your rings. Maybe even have a little vow renewal, if you and your husband would be up for that?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the record I love your center stone. :love:

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

I think I'm going to contact David Klass and see if we can stop by when we're in LA later this month and see what he has to say about fixing it up. Does anyone know his address by any chance, or even what part of town he's in? We're already driving about 2 hours to get these bees, and I don't want to add too much additional drive time on top of that. LA can be kind of a pain. I feel like I want someone who knows what they are doing to look at it and let me know what is possible and what's not.

Having it blessed by the priest is nice, but not the "same." We had this at our wedding ceremony and it was the ring used during the sacrament of marriage, and I don't want to change that. But then again, we have my wedding band which went along with the whole thing, so there's that as well. And I am going to have to get a second wedding band for when my hands are so swollen I can't wear my original set, and that doesn't bother me. I might be overthinking it all. I need to pick my husband's brain a little bit more.

Diamondseeker, my center stone is an oval, not a round, and I think round side stones would look odd? I do want to keep with the 3 stone, however. I like the oval and trillions. The more I look at the pictures and stare at it, the more I realize it's kind of clunky. I've never loved the way the center stone was set, but it wasn't worth my time trying to do something about it. I'm working on getting a RHR from DBL, and as I work through what I want in this ring, I'm realizing more that this setting isn't doing my center stone any justice, and the little details are bugging me.

Essentially, I want graceful claw prongs on the center stone, maybe better cut trillions on the sides, and something in the profile that has some "wow" factor for me. But I like the face up, and would like it to stay pretty much the way it is, prongs aside. At the very least, the prongs need to be fixed. They're not even or symmetrical, you can see where they cut them and put the new ones on, they're clunky and just a flipping mess. And they catch on everything.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass is at 607 S. Hill Street (California Jewelry Mart building); here's his Facebook page with phone number & map of location:
https://www.facebook.com/david.klass.jewelry/

Were I in your shoes, I too would want to preserve as much of the ring as possible. But maybe you'd consider shields to be a nicely distinctive, appealing substitute for the trillion side stones, which you aren't thrilled with? (I think shields could lend themselves to being bar-set on the one end, as you'd prefer.) As a visual aid, here's a Leon Mege oval ring with with double claw prongs holding the center stone & a shield on either side:
https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/three-stone/r6580-detail

And here's LM's page on side stones that includes a pic of shields standing solo (fair warning: I think LM has a great eye/sense of aesthetics for side stones, but he is very opinionated on the topic & doesn't shrink from letting the reader know his dim view of, e.g., trillions)
https://leonmege.com/sidebar/item/119-diamond-side-stones

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results