shape
carat
color
clarity

new article for Pricescope knowledge base?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know this is an unusual post but I am looking for a new topic and thought I would "crowd source" some ideas. :geek:

From time to time we contribute content to the Pricescope knowledge base. These articles can be on practically any topic interesting to the pricescope community. Previously we have provided a number of articles on diamond grading at AGS Laboratories, articles on bridal designer brands, and even one on the amazing Gravity Light.

https://www.pricescope.com/articles

We will soon have some time to develop a new article for submission and would love to get your thoughts on topics that would be useful/interesting to visitors to this forum. :read:

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Can we have an article on Feathers. That includes information from GIA on what they grade as feathers.

There are still some people who need to be brought upto speed with what constitutes feathers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gr8leo87|1463005743|4030438 said:
Can we have an article on Feathers. That includes information from GIA on what they grade as feathers.

There are still some people who need to be brought upto speed with what constitutes feathers.

gr8,
Thank you for the suggestion. Have you read this article already in the PS knowledge base?
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/diamond_feather_inclusions_durability_risk

It's a pretty comprehensive article and includes additional observations and opinions from a number of leading experts. Let me know if you think there are still open questions about this topic that would benefit from further discussion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure whether there is an article on this, but the recent discussion about color and undertone really needs to be in an article here so we can link it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1463240788|4031653 said:
I am not sure whether there is an article on this, but the recent discussion about color and undertone really needs to be in an article here so we can link it.
That is a good topic. Not sure it would be a full article in itself, but certainly a worthwhile sub-topic of color grading. Maybe adding a section in this article would be an idea:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/ags-laboratory-color-grading-diamonds

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1463241441|4031663 said:
That is a good topic. Not sure it would be a full article in itself, but certainly a worthwhile sub-topic of color grading. Maybe adding a section in this article would be an idea:

It could be added into that article, except the undertone issue is not lab specific.

It would also need to be where other basic information on color is. It is of concern that people order J color stones from virtual vendors and I do not think they normally discuss undertone with the buyer.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-color

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1463241960|4031666 said:
Texas Leaguer|1463241441|4031663 said:

It could be added into that article, except the undertone issue is not lab specific.

It would also need to be where other basic information on color is. It is of concern that people order J color stones from virtual vendors and I do not think they normally discuss undertone with the buyer.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-color
I see your point. The wiki article is probably the best place for it. Might also update the AGSL article with some info on how they treat tone.

Thank you for the suggestion DS!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the merits of using a "cut score" to judge fancy cuts?

Just kiddin' :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please forgive me as ive seen the more recent articles but don't know if this was an article 10 years ago -

I'd like more info on diamond treatments. Pros vs Cons. Which are permanent, which aren't, how common are they, why are they done, how do they change the value of the diamond. Are there new technologies?

Meaning clarity and color enhancements.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gr8leo87|1463005743|4030438 said:

Yes, the fact that any break which does not reach the surface is plotted by GIA as a crystal. If the report says the
word 'feather' then it DOES break the surface. The mark on the report is also showing where the break is and the shape of
that break on the surface and not the shape of the actual feather. Also find out if AGS grade diamonds in the same way. Why is it that
buyers have not been told this piece of important information for years but told check the feather on the diamond you
are considering does not break the surface? That is now known to be impossible as it must break the surface or it would be
plotted as crystal. I know some jewelers said this may have been changed or done different in the
lab than in lab teaching. Some buyers have bought diamonds with crystals but crystals very often have tiny
breaks around them due to pressure and these are still crystals. Does this mean feathers have the strain released but crystals
are still harbouring it inside of the diamond? I know strain has been a topic before. It has been said that all feathers start as
crystals so that is why there is a connection to crystals just that the feather has broken through the surface. I think these answers can only be answered by GIA or not answered at all in that case they should not be brought up to make sales or discourage sales from other jewelers. The fact that GIA have written on their site that durability is only a 'clarity' issue from I1 and lower too but this is not what is taught here.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I really don't know if what I want to know falls within what you want to do, but I will continue on.

1. I would so enjoy seeing pictures of the stores of the vendors here. I was quite taken with Garry's store--beautiful to look at.

2. When you develop your own brand as in "White Flash", Good as Gold ? , Brian Gavin diamonds, High Performance diamonds, are you hoping you could become another tiffany, Cartier, or other well known name? Is the name White Flash the important part or the branding of ACA diamonds. I would like to know what the goals of the ownership are for their future. Just a matter of curiosity.
I call it the inside look.

mANY tHANKS,

Annette(Which is the important part A or nette) :naughty:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smitcompton|1463255820|4031712 said:
Hi,

I really don't know if what I want to know falls within what you want to do, but I will continue on.

1. I would so enjoy seeing pictures of the stores of the vendors here. I was quite taken with Garry's store--beautiful to look at.

2. When you develop your own brand as in "White Flash", Good as Gold ? , Brian Gavin diamonds, High Performance diamonds, are you hoping you could become another tiffany, Cartier, or other well known name? Is the name White Flash the important part or the branding of ACA diamonds. I would like to know what the goals of the ownership are for their future. Just a matter of curiosity.
I call it the inside look.

mANY tHANKS,

Hi Annette,
As for pictures of stores, you can see ours by going to our website. At the top of every page is a yellow bar with a link. There is also a video on the page.

The brand question probably varies from company to company. I can probably address it in a general way from our perspective without it getting promotional, but I will have to think about the best approach. I can say that we don't expect to become Tiffany, but we do aspire to be thought of in a similar way in terms of quality and consistency.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smitcompton|1463255820|4031712 said:
<Snip>

Clearly the whole is greater than the sum of the two parts!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could use a pear/marquise/oval cut and performance article that discusses the different facet possibilities.

Also I could use a radiant article.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1463277595|4031812 said:
I could use a pear/marquise/oval cut and performance article that discusses the different facet possibilities.

Also I could use a radiant article.
Are you and TyTy conspiring to get me in deep trouble around here? :shock:

Just kidding, I totally agree with the need.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What about one talking about different metal colors and stone color grades. With yellow gold making a comeback, and people being more open to lower color diamonds, this might be a good topic to have on hand. It seems as though there is no consensus about how the metal color affects how a lower colored stone faces up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results