shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I missing with this pear? Graded incorrectly?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463084846|4030903 said:
Well I purchased that h colour stone. Hopefully it's a nice one. I know gypsy's reputation around here so I feel more confident than if I chose myself. I hope I didn't screw it up deciding between the chubbier pear over the bigger facing one. Now onto the setting.

I think either would've been nice -- of course, the chubbier one was my fave, so I'm glad you chose it! :love:

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your help and replies. It was nice to have some dialogue with someone who knew more about what look for with pears.

I know I'm relentless with questions. Just wondering if the good/good grade is worrisome? I know pears are different. Etc but this pear should sparkle nicely? Look alright in a pendant?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85 said:
Thanks for all your help and replies. It was nice to have some dialogue with someone who knew more about what look for with pears.

I know I'm relentless with questions. Just wondering if the good/good grade is worrisome? I know pears are different. Etc but this pear should sparkle nicely? Look alright in a pendant?

You're right... Fancies are totally different. [emoji4]

It should look great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You picked a nice one! Please look up Tiffany bezel pendant pear for recommended bezel. It's nicest I've seen for pears. I think heavy bezel is mistake if high polish-- consider matte/ sabdblasted if you do thick bezel otherwise stone gets lost.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1463091209|4030928 said:
You picked a nice one! Please look up Tiffany bezel pendant pear for recommended bezel. It's nicest I've seen for pears. I think heavy bezel is mistake if high polish-- consider matte/ sabdblasted if you do thick bezel otherwise stone gets lost.

Thanks Gypsy for suggesting a few, appreciate the help.

I can't seem to find the bezel you are describing using google. I also have very little idea for the setting, especially considering I never really debated on a bezel. Is there a picture of what you are describing?

I agree that a thin bezel is the way to go. As little light blockage as possible, more just to accentuate the pear shape.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bail is the hardest part. So many bails, especially the cheap ones, are ugly. Also important is the chain. So what you want is this.

You want a very thin high polish bezel ( no thicker than 1mm bezel, preferably thinnr) and a fixes DELICATE bail that is only thick enough for the chain (the chain will not be removable). And a .8mm-1mm cable chain. No thicker.

13172-4_tiffany_bezel_pendant.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a close up. That stone is only a little larger than yours. The key is delicacy.

pear_bezel_pendant.jpg

pear_bezel_0.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... I think the bales look kinda sloppy. I'd get a bezel pendant made such that ilthe chain slides gracefully through the bezel's backside, allowing for more attractive appearance and less chance of flipping.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't agree. That's a 60 point stone, and the extreme close up is a knock off, not a real Tiffany one (yellow one is Tiffany, you can see the differences) it's just the only one I saw on google that was close enough. The stone is just a little larger than the OPs stone. Bezels with invisible bails do flip a heck of lot.

I think the tiny bail is a nice look.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
I don't agree. That's a 60 point stone, and the extreme close up is a knock off, not a real Tiffany one (yellow one is Tiffany, you can see the differences) it's just the only one I saw on google that was close enough. The stone is just a little larger than the OPs stone. Bezels with invisible bails do flip a heck of lot.

I think the tiny bail is a nice look.

...just preference. Mine doesn't flip at all. The invisible type adds weight and helps with flipping. Without some form of weighted backing, they just roll around.

Since he's not buying Tiffany, what vendor makes makes the one you mention? I couldn't find anything that didn't look cheap.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would use either BE or David Klass personally or, Grace's bench, or BGD (they've done all my bezels and they are excellent). They all do bezels. You want a vendor that you've seen great bezel work from, especially in extreme close ups.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
I would use either BE or David Klass personally or, Grace's bench, or BGD (they've done all my bezels and they are excellent). They all do bezels. You want a vendor that you've seen great bezel work from, especially in extreme close ups.

Agreed. I'd add CVB to that list as well. Her bezels are amazing. [emoji7]

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
There are a few good benches in my area, so I'm going to take a tour to a few and look at some of their work. I'm not sure what type of bail she'd like, so hopefully get to see a couple.

Any idea of the length of chain? 18 inches? Is that a good size for an everyday/semi-formal purpose?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85 said:
There are a few good benches in my area, so I'm going to take a tour to a few and look at some of their work. I'm not sure what type of bail she'd like, so hopefully get to see a couple.

Any idea of the length of chain? 18 inches? Is that a good size for an everyday/semi-formal purpose?

Depending on her build, I'd say 16-17"...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1463105855|4031058 said:
Stive85 said:

Depending on her build, I'd say 16-17"...

How tall is she and about what clothing size does she wear, or what is her weight (you may not know any of these, if you don't just post a picture of her (but edit her head out).

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
About 5'3 and about 145-150 lb I'd say. Average size i think, with very gorgeous curly blond hair. She has curvy hips, but not too curvy (size 8 sound right?)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do 16 inches.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on neck size, honestly. I am 5'7" and 130 lb, size 4-6, and I CANNOT wear 16" necklaces/pendants. They are way too short for me and don't sit right. I need 18".

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619 said:
It really depends on neck size, honestly. I am 5'7" and 130 lb, size 4-6, and I CANNOT wear 16" necklaces/pendants. They are way too short for me and don't sit right. I need 18".

For me, 16" was just a bit too tight for my liking, and 18" was too long. I ended up getting 17", and it's perfect!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I'd try to sneak and measure one of the chains she wear daily...

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1463159919|4031313 said:
OP, I'd try to sneak and measure one of the chains she wear daily...

Unfortunately she doesn't really have a chain that I could go off of. Few years back in my early 20's, before I knew much about jewelry, I bought her a small (terrible looking at it now) bezeled RB necklace, which she liked, but found the chain too small. I will measure it tonight and go off that.

I have sent the picture gypsy posted of the bezel from tiffany's to a local and trusted jeweler who said 3-5 days and about 400 CAD to set it, which seems reasonable. I just need to decide if I want the pendant fixed ont he chain on loose? I do like the small bail better than the invisible for the pear, as I find you want that drop look (if that makes sense)

Thanks again everyone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to pop by and say - nice stone - good choice!

I like the double bezel idea for a setting; a stone of that weight will need a little help to hang correctly without getting flipped around all the time.

Good luck and hope to see what you end up with. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop said:

I like the double bezel idea for a setting; a stone of that weight will need a little help to hang correctly without getting flipped around all the time.

I agree. It's gonna flip all over unless it's weight from the back.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463108722|4031087 said:
About 5'3 and about 145-150 lb I'd say. Average size i think, with very gorgeous curly blond hair. She has curvy hips, but not too curvy (size 8 sound right?)

This made me chuckle! It doesn't just sound "right" - it sounds delightful! :))

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1463162866|4031331 said:

I will definitely post a picture! Can you give me an idea of what you mean by double bezel? (sorry, not familiar with bezel and never really considered them)

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Do both just mean do the invisible bail? With two loops on the back of the bezel that the stone runs freely through?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463167533|4031373 said:
Do both just mean do the invisible bail? With two loops on the back of the bezel that the stone runs freely through?

The invisible bail can be made such that you achieve the drop look that is so pretty for a pear. It would be at the very tip of the point.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1463168039|4031375 said:

The invisible bail can be made such that you achieve the drop look that is so pretty for a pear. It would be at the very tip of the point.

I see what your saying. That's what you mean by double bezel? Again, sorry, my setting knowledge isn't very good! The Tiffany style you think would just flip to much if it were fixed to the chain?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463168169|4031377 said:

I see what your saying. That's what you mean by double bezel? Again, sorry, my setting knowledge isn't very good! The Tiffany style you think would just flip to much if it were fixed to the chain?

By "double bezel", I imagine a thin bezel around the pear with two rows of milgrain... kinda like this ring. It has two delicate rows of milgrain, adding heft in the metal, but doesn't look "heavy"... If that's not what she meant, then I'm not sure I understand. milgrain_1.jpg

If the pendant is fixed on the chain, it will never hang in the middle without her constantly having to adjust it. I had one like that, and it drove me crazy (hence changing to the invisible bail).

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1463168603|4031379 said:
Stive85|1463168169|4031377 said:

By "double bezel", I imagine a thin bezel around the pear with two rows of milgrain... kinda like this ring. It has two delicate rows of milgrain, adding heft in the metal, but doesn't look "heavy"... If that's not what she meant, then I'm not sure I understand. milgrain_1.jpg

If the pendant is fixed on the chain, it will never hang in the middle without her constantly having to adjust it. I had one like that, and it drove me crazy (hence changing to the invisible bail).

Ohhhh. I see what you mean. So there's no way to have a very elegant bail (low key like the tiffany one) and have it sliding? Would that help it stay facing forward?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results