shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to get a 2mm basket setting for asscher cut

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, anyone know where to get a 2mm basket solitaire setting for an asscher cut diamond? I have looked around and they are either 1.5mm, or 2mm and don't have basket heads. I am trying to avoid custom work seeing as it should be a common ring to find! Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think any local jeweler can order that (go to an independent jeweler with a good reputation and not a chain/mall jeweler). They aren't going to stock asscher settings in house, because they may never or rarely sell asschers (asschers are definitely not common). But they have catalogs with all types of settings and heads and they just order one to fit your stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do realize a boxy basket will make picking your wedding band harder and that you will never have a flush fit with a straight band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Stuller?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
You do realize a boxy basket will make picking your wedding band harder and that you will never have a flush fit with a straight band.
Good FYI Gypsy! I didn't consider this when I incorporated a boxy basket into the design of my EC solitaire. Thank god I have long fingers and my ring finger is a 9 so I can afford the gap.

Gypsy said:
Have you looked at Stuller?
Stuller is a great place to look for ideas.

I have to recommend reaching out to Yekutiel at IDJ because the custom solitaire he created for me was impeccably finished, proportional to the diamomd, and reasonably priced.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have short stubby fingers, so I have to consider stuff like that.

Listen you spent a pretty penny on that beautiful stone. If you are just looking for a temporary setting for it, for now, I get setting it in a stock 2mm solitaire.

But if this is your permanent setting, then I highly recommend you put that beauty in a platinum custom setting.

Stuller settings that avoid a boxy basket and would allow a flush fit band and would fit an 8mm asscher. I don't know that the shanks are 2mm, so you would have to check that.
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122455/11145739/?groupId=121881
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/123059/12509322/?groupId=193785
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/123060/12585931/?groupId=194064

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what a 2 carat asscher looks like in a lovely custom (boxy) setting: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-classic-asscher-cut-diamond-solitaire

And that's not as boxy as most (including the Tiffany style).

That setting, in platinum, would be a little less than 3k. I would get that, or something less boxy setting, made by Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera. I personally would not use Leon, but there are many threads on that issue, and you can make up your own mind. To get you started: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-has-been-your-experience-with-leon-mege.216033/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-has-been-your-experience-with-leon-mege.216033/[/URL]

That one is not a cathedral setting. I personally prefer cathedral settings, but that's a personal taste thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful replies! Yes, I had been on stuller site for awhile before posting this thread last night because I couldn't find anything like it. I had my eye on exactly this

http://www.stuller.com/products/24144/?groupId=90367

And I was looking for a 2mm peg shank that would accommodate that head. By basket I meant that inner lower ring so my mistake if you guys took it to mean something else. I love that stuller head because I want to be able to see the cutlet and the side profile for light to reach the stone. I had my previous 1 ct asscher in a regular 4 prong head and I don't think it did the stone justice.

This is also an exceptional find which seemed to have evaded my searches on the stuller site. Thanks Gypsy!

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/123059/12509322/?groupId=193785#/mounting-options

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that setting will be lovely. Make sure you get it set by a jeweler who does great prong work. IDJ would be a great person to set your stone. You can get lovely claw prongs for the stone and it would look fantastic.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Also, why do you recommend platinum for it Gypsy? just your personal preference? I currently have all platinum rings but was kind of getting tired of jewelers charging me more because "it's harder to work with." I had a terrible jeweler who had all 5 star ratings ruin one of my rings...he completely burned most of my pave diamonds because he didn't know what he was doing with platinum, not to mention the prongs looking terrible and uneven. Nightmare

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
clearfading said:
Also, why do you recommend platinum for it Gypsy? just your personal preference? I currently have all platinum rings but was kind of getting tired of jewelers charging me more because "it's harder to work with." I had a terrible jeweler who had all 5 star ratings ruin one of my rings...he completely burned most of my pave diamonds because he didn't know what he was doing with platinum, not to mention the prongs looking terrible and uneven. Nightmare
Ouch - I think that jeweler's bench would have also done a number on your pave and prongs if your ring was white gold :errrr: !

If the majority of your rings are platinum, and you LIKE how they are wearing, I'd suggest going with platinum as well. BUT if you need any adjustments made to your ring, go with a PS recommended vendor. They are all used to working with white gold and platinum alike.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly it sounds like you have crappy jewelers around you.

When you say they get five stars. From WHO? Any time you see reviews of jewelers you have to understand that 99% of people wouldn't know a good jeweler if one bit them.

What to look for: custom settings in all metals you are considering done IN STORE. By an on site bench. And someone who you can talk to, and who will take the time to pull out jobs they have completed and done and are waiting in their store for pick up, that they will show you.

I like platinum for many different reasons. Primarily because I like the heft of it and I like how it looks polished up (I get my rings polished every 1 year to 18 months). Yes, it does cost more to get it worked on. But most alloys of white gold need to be plated and the upkeep there adds up as well. If you do want a Stuller setting you have the option of going for one of the X1 (14 or 18kt) white gold that they have, that don't need plating. That said, whenever you get it worked on, you need to make sure the jeweler is familiar with that alloy and uses THAT EXACT ALLOY if they are sizing the ring or whatever.

Where are you? We can usually recommend a few decent jewelers in your area to check out. There are a lot of us, and our people are everywhere! :lol:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Haha, YES I would CLEARLY agree I can't find a decent jeweler around here. I did go back to that nightmare place and get ALL my money back but I am still fuming because I had to pay someone else $550 to fix what he did so I have wanted to stick him with that bill too. Where's the justice? I am in Charlotte, NC. I have dealt with Sumpter's jewelers here since that nightmare experience and have liked everything they have done.
He pulled out items that they custom make and was proud to show me their work. Any recommendations are great too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are in luck. diamondseeker is local to you. Post another thread sharing your experience and asking local jewler recommendations titled " Local jeweler in Charlotte, NC." And see what the local peeps say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results