carat
color
clarity

The comforts of home..

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For as long as I can remember, I only used Cuchina hand soap in my kitchen and bathrooms. When it became more difficult to find (IRL vs. online shopping) I switched to L'Occitane products and ADORE them. Love the verbena, or lavender or shea butter...well just everything!

And I've always used Henckel knives. Sure I've had other fancy Japanese knives, but I found they actually broke during use. I stick with what I know!

cheers--Sharon

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
packrat|1461973427|4025316 said:
Going to check out that air freshener, thanks Jordy! I'm a nervous wreck about my house all the time--a husband, 2 kids, four cats and a dog who sometimes pees on the back deck and rolls in it..I'm always worried my house smells funny. I have a plug in Glade oil thing and a Scentsy pot in the kitchen.

Not much for comforts here...I do compare square footage of toilet paper and prices tho! One of the kinds is so soft it leaves like..lint all over. I think it's the kind w/the baby on it. We don't use that anymore.

It's quite potent stuff so just be careful with it! The first time I ever used it I put about 6-8 pumps into our bedroom and it made my eyes water (and cleared up my nasal passages :lol: )

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
does the scent last quite a while when you spray?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3 pumps of the yellow spray in our bedroom would last for 8 hour or so but it's so potent that it doesn't just cover odours, it kills them. The orange bottle isn't so strong and you can put more pumps into a room than the yellow bottle without destroying your nasal passages but I do prefer the yellow bottle. The reason I got it to begin with was that it instantly removed the 'wafting aroma' in the cabin of a shark boat after a day out, I didn't think that was possible at the time without a small crew of slave labour. Now I know why my dad had kids :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My horribly unpopular, unsolicited opinion is that I cannot stand smelling fragrance from laundry detergent on other people, in their homes, walking by houses, or basically anywhere. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but in the past few years I have become really sensitive to it and feel a little panicky until I get away from it now. (I know, I know...I feel like a weirdo even saying it.) I guess it just seems so ...artificial?

If I need to get any type of stain out of any type of textile, I use BIZ powder detergent. Application and timing are important, but the product itself is nothing short of miraculous, and it doesn't have an overpowering scent. For everyday laundry, Purex unscented liquid detergent, or sometimes unscented ALL or Tide Free. My husband buys all that stuff, I just tell him to get unscented, so I'm not sure what all the proper names are.

Pendleton blankets. Indoor/outdoor/beauty/brand heritage. Also, hand-made, hand-pieced quilts commissioned by a local quilter. Nothing like it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1462045598|4025577 said:
My horribly unpopular, unsolicited opinion is that I cannot stand smelling fragrance from laundry detergent on other people, in their homes, walking by houses, or basically anywhere. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but in the past few years I have become really sensitive to it and feel a little panicky until I get away from it now. (I know, I know...I feel like a weirdo even saying it.) I guess it just seems so ...artificial?

If I need to get any type of stain out of any type of textile, I use BIZ powder detergent. Application and timing are important, but the product itself is nothing short of miraculous, and it doesn't have an overpowering scent. For everyday laundry, Purex unscented liquid detergent, or sometimes unscented ALL or Tide Free. My husband buys all that stuff, I just tell him to get unscented, so I'm not sure what all the proper names are.

Pendleton blankets. Indoor/outdoor/beauty/brand heritage. Also, hand-made, hand-pieced quilts commissioned by a local quilter. Nothing like it.

Not so unpopular as you imagine Monnie--I feel the same way. When I bought our Miele appliances I was thankful they had a sensitive powder. No (laundry soap) scents makes sense.

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Sharon--I thought I was the only one!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love everything about my bedroom. I invested in custom floor to almost ceiling built-in closets when I just could not stand my old dressers and how inefficiently space is used. Best money I ever spent. No more space issues. I also had them installed in my kids' room and it cleared up so much space for them too. Love my bed. Nothing fancy. But I love hard sleeping surfaces so I have only one mattress on top of a platform. Love my Egyptian cotton sheets. I bought them so long ago. It seemed like a lot to spend at the time but I haven't bought bedding in years. So it was worth it. My little simple human garbage cans all over the house. So convenient. A roomy bathroom. Never feel cramped in it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same here re fragranced detergents, etc.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1462050309|4025597 said:

Not alone, add me to the list too! I couldn't walk down the detergent isle of the grocery store with my mom as a kid. Still partially hold my breath and breathe shallowly through my mouth. I use Ecos detergent, and white vinegar for bleach and/or fabric softener. Clothes smell like... nothing! :love: :))

I can appreciate the right scent in a home, but it's a rare scent that captures me vs. makes me uncomfortable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1462059552|4025635 said:

Not alone, add me to the list too! I couldn't walk down the detergent isle of the grocery store with my mom as a kid. Still partially hold my breath and breathe shallowly through my mouth. I use Ecos detergent, and white vinegar for bleach and/or fabric softener. Clothes smell like... nothing! :love: :))

I can appreciate the right scent in a home, but it's a rare scent that captures me vs. makes me uncomfortable.

I find this so fascinating, since I am the exact opposite. I absolutely LOVE the scent of "fresh laundry"/detergent/fabric softener, it makes me feel happy and calm. That's what I love about hearing opinions, is that there are definitely some smells that make me feel horrible but others don't mind, and this is the opposite case.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1462055489|4025626 said:
I love everything about my bedroom. I invested in custom floor to almost ceiling built-in closets when I just could not stand my old dressers and how inefficiently space is used. Best money I ever spent. No more space issues. I also had them installed in my kids' room and it cleared up so much space for them too. Love my bed. Nothing fancy. But I love hard sleeping surfaces so I have only one mattress on top of a platform. Love my Egyptian cotton sheets. I bought them so long ago. It seemed like a lot to spend at the time but I haven't bought bedding in years. So it was worth it. My little simple human garbage cans all over the house. So convenient. A roomy bathroom. Never feel cramped in it.

The built in closets--we're going to do that too. Our bedrooms are so small, with the dressers in there it's horrible. I'm pretty excited about it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1462025041|4025484 said:
Does anyone have a recommendation about where I can get a good white fitted sheet for a queen-size? I had a Ralph Lauren one which lasted for years, until it tore, and now I have a Martha Stewart but I've only had it a couple of years and it has a small tear. When I go shopping it's all sheet sets, which I don't want - I just want one fitted sheet which is good quality without paying a fortune.

What is your budget for a fitted sheet hon? I'm really picky about my linens. I used to stick to Wamsutta. In general their stuff lasts a really long time, but I wasn't that happy with the last 2 sets I bought from them.

I have to spend on my sheets thanks to my mattress. But Cuddledown generally has fabulous quality and sells the fitted sheets separately. Their sateen and their percale are both great.

When I have a lower budget I usually wait for a 20% off plus free shipping coupon at the Company Store. I find their Classic Solid Sateen to be quite nice. Their other stuff is more hit or miss. THEY HAVE 20% off right now, actually. I would recommend you give this a try. They do wrinkle though. So if wrinkling is an issue for you, I recommend you pass on the Classic and go for the wrinkle free type. http://www.thecompanystore.com/300-thread-count-wrinkle-free-sateen-sheets/e5g1-ps-a14.html

I also have had good luck with JCPenny's wrinkle resistant sheets for my guest room-- I bought according to the reviews posted and went for the ones with the most and highest reivews. But I can't speak to their durability. Those sheets get used 3x a year.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may not be tidy, however, I love every bit about my home, including the mess, as it is my mess that provides me with some form of normality and familiarity.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1462025041|4025484 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation about where I can get a good white fitted sheet for a queen-size? I had a Ralph Lauren one which lasted for years, until it tore, and now I have a Martha Stewart but I've only had it a couple of years and it has a small tear. When I go shopping it's all sheet sets, which I don't want - I just want one fitted sheet which is good quality without paying a fortune.

Jambalaya, I did an online search for you at my favorite store for sheets-Restoration Hardware but unfortunately I couldn't find the bed linens I love sold separately. You have to purchase at least the fitted sheet with the top sheet and pillow cases so no go. Sorry. I do love their sheets though and we use them almost exclusively.

One other recommendation I can make though is believe it or not IKEA. We purchased a couple of sets from them as spares and I do like the feel. Not as luxurious as the Restoration Hardware sheets but you know, really comfortable and at a great price point. And you can purchase them separately too. I cannot remember exactly which set we purchased from them but here is a queen fitted sheet you can purchase separately.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90314478/

canuk-gal said:

Not so unpopular as you imagine Monnie--I feel the same way. When I bought our Miele appliances I was thankful they had a sensitive powder. No (laundry soap) scents makes sense.

cheers--Sharon

rainydaze said:

Add me to this list. Me too. I hate fragrance like that coming from people and it can make me sick. I cannot even walk into a shop full of candles because the scent is too overpowering.

Sky56 said:
Haha Missy - we are so much alike. Scott TP fan for decades. And I came to the very late realization that I like Apple the best.

stracci2000|1461943603|4025114 said:
Missy, I'm with you about Scott tissue.
It's the only brand I buy.
A long time ago my grandmother told me that you get so much more square footage of paper from Scott than the other brands. I started to compare brands, and she was right.
If you stand in the store, and start looking at the square footage, you will be amazed at the difference.

Yes Scott TP is the only one I like. The others are too soft or too something else for me and there is no substitution when it comes to my Scott TP! You could say nothing comes between me and my Scott TP... 8-) :lol:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1462063378|4025648 said:
rainydaze|1462059552|4025635 said:

I find this so fascinating, since I am the exact opposite. I absolutely LOVE the scent of "fresh laundry"/detergent/fabric softener, it makes me feel happy and calm. That's what I love about hearing opinions, is that there are definitely some smells that make me feel horrible but others don't mind, and this is the opposite case.

I love the scent of laundry too. I've used Downy for years (as did my mom) and laundry doesn't smell right without it. I really dislike the smell of perfume, candles and body care products though.

Things I love at home:

Ditto the simplehuman trash bins. DH bought one when we first bought our house and I scolded him for spending so much. He was right though. It's wonderful. The bag never sags, the lid is easy to open with a foot, which I'm convinced is less germy, and we've had ours for three years and it's like new.

We bought a "Chef'n PopTop Microwave Popcorn Popper" from Amazon when our air popper died. It's amazing and now I'm addicted to popcorn before bed.

We are Charmin people. The soft kind, not the strong kind. We talked about it before cohabitating. It was a huge issue for both of us. I rough it at work and I mean that literally. (I'm also a big fan of Preparation H wipes but that's a TMI story)

I have a Jacuzzi tub that I use regularly. It's amazing how it makes my joints feel better and I'm so much more relaxed afterwards. I hate the sound of the jets and only turn them on the clean it so any large soaking tub would do for me.

I'm also picky about bedding. I bought a down comforter and duvet cover from West Elm. I sleep with my dog so they get washed frequently and still look great. I also have some isoCool pillows from BB&B that I love. I was having terrible headaches every day and the pillows seem to give me some relief. I have Wamsutta sheets also from BB&B. Not the highest thread count but somewhere in the middle and my sheets feel so good. We have a sleep number bed and I love it too. When I saw the price I was prepared to hate it and return it, but I sleep so well on it. DH likes the bed hard (I don't know why he doesn't just sleep on the floor) and I like it soft. It's kept us happily in the same bed.

Fiestaware. I love the way it looks but it also heats up in the microwave. Food stays so much warmer on warm plates/bowls. I'm a freak about hating cold food. (warm food that has gone cold, not cold food as in a salad)

I have a rainbow vacuum from the 80's. It looks just awful and it's ridiculously inconvenient to use but it does such a good job of cleaning. I also have a tile vacuum that I use all the time. I don't remember the brand but it was advertised as an electric broom and it's perfect for tile.

Speaking of tile, I have gel kitchen mats too and ahhhh. They are so nice on my feet and joints. I'll be happy when we upgrade to wooden floors but right now we have tile (and I have lots of bling) and the tile kills me.

I'm also a hand shower kind of person. We have a Delta and it's got great power. I never even removed the water reduction feature and it works really well to remove shampoo/conditioner from my hair.

It's not necessarily a home thing, but I was gifted a Yeti can insulator for Christmas. I love a good, cold soda and the Yeti really does keep it cold for a long time.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy... IKEA how could I forget? Thank goodness for their duvet covers! So much easier washing duvet covers than comforters when you have fur babies!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven't gotten the air freshener yet, but I did buy Scott tp this morning. Took me forever to find it tho good lord-another joy of small town living-there's few choices and the choices you get are mostly a lot of a few, and then a couple random single choices. Scott happens to be one of the random single choices--prob'ly why I've never tried it-can barely find it! Kinda weird to think I might have converted tp based on recs from a jewelry forum...buuuut here we are..

I like the smell of fresh laundry. I like the detergents w/the febreeze or whatever scent, and sometimes when I wash our TKD uniforms I use the Unstoppable bead things so they smell really nice when we're practicing. I don't use fabric softener but I like that smell too. I like smells.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving this thread!!

Missy.....if you don't mind me asking....which Restoration Hardware sheets have you loved? I've wondered about my sheets since I wash them in either warm or hot water, but oddly I've noticed many sheets say to wash on cold. Maybe it's odd for me because I put sheets in with towels sometimes and I always wash towels in warm or hot water.....

One household item I can't live without is my plain old concoction of vinegar and water to clean almost anything and everything. I keep a spray bottle in the kitchen and we clean our hardwood floors with it too.

Not sure if this counts but....I can't live without Crocs as house shoes, LOL!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1462338488|4026985 said:

I have the BEST story about crocs; I used to wear them on my old boat and my dad's boat due to their comfort, grip and ability to get soaking wet. I remember having a shower and seeing all these dirty spots on my feet and spent about 10 minutes trying to clean them off before I realised that the dirty spots was actually my croc tan spots :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a fantastic experience with my duvet and sham set from Restoration Hardware. It was the Cypress Italian Paisley in Fog. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1498007 The cotton sateen was so soft and lovely. It didn't wrinkle too much and was super durable. I actually had two duvets and switched them out each time I washed them. I had this on my bed for 6 years. And I have 5 cats. Great set.

I just re-did my bedroom and bought this duvet and shams set, which is the linen, and I am less happy with it. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6451739&categoryId=cat1860011 It's beautiful. But unless you wash it on cold and use air dry it is like burlap, and I'm not happy washing my linens on cold. And drying a duvet on air takes forever, plus, in the new washer and dryer the thing balls up like you wouldn't believe. It takes 3 HOURS to dry it, and I have to un-ball it every half hour. So... total pain in the neck.

So I would TOTALLY buy another sateen set from them. But another linen, nope.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving this thread!!

Missy.....if you don't mind me asking....which Restoration Hardware sheets have you loved? I've wondered about my sheets since I wash them in either warm or hot water, but oddly I've noticed many sheets say to wash on cold. Maybe it's odd for me because I put sheets in with towels sometimes and I always wash towels in warm or hot water.....

One household item I can't live without is my plain old concoction of vinegar and water to clean almost anything and everything. I keep a spray bottle in the kitchen and we clean our hardwood floors with it too.

Hi JDDN, we have bed linen from the Restoration Hardware Italian collection. 100% cotton and so soft.
I think this is the set we have. We got it so long ago I am not completely sure but it is from the Italian hotel collection.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6451696&categoryId=cat6110227

We wash it on regular setting but not with the towels. I like to wash our bed linens separately from everything and we don't use delicate setting but normal setting and dry it on normal setting too. Years ago I used to wash and dry them on the delicate setting (because like you that's what I read was best) but found out my dh was using the regular setting and it washed and dried just fine no issues. We have our Restoration Hardware sheets for well over a decade and while we switch between the sets we have never had an issue. 4 cats and counting. 8)

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
The best purchase we've made by far is our Casper mattress and pillows. We've been married for 15 years and have had traditional mattresses in the past. This is so much better! I have bought and tried at least 50 brands of pillows in the past and these are the best.

I work from home and love our walnut desk we bought from Crate and Barrel, it's a beautiful thing to look at where I'm sitting for hours every day.

We are slowly renovating and furnishing an old house so our list of needs and wants is long. We are trying to invest in pieces we'll be happy with for a long time, which means sometimes we have to wait on purchases and not act on impulses. It's slow progress.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
There are very few brands I'm loyal to--I tend to buy what's on sale. There are a few things that are a constant in my home, however.

1. Basic H cleaning solution-- http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Organic-Cleaning-Concentrate-Gallons/dp/B008PBNHBA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462376677&sr=8-1&keywords=basic+H

My mother and father used to use Basic H for everything (my mother used it for cleaning, my father used it on the lawn). it is completely organic and has 1,000 uses. I keep a spray bottle and use it on everything--mirrors, windows, granite, stainless steel, wood, electronics, bathroom, in the car--and it cleans everything so well. Plus with 2 kids in the house, I like not using anything harsh (since I feel I'm constantly cleaning the kitchen and table). Also, it has no smell (for those who have sensitive noses--I actually love the smell of cleaners, so it's a con for me)

2. Magic Erasers. Enough said.

3. Thick, cotton towels. I think other PSers like the restoration hardware towels, but I have some turkish cotton towels from Amazon that are really thick and I really like them. http://www.amazon.com/Luxury-Hotel-Genuine-Turkish-Cotton/dp/B00O2QJX7E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462376924&sr=8-4&keywords=thick+towels

4. High count sheets. I got these from Overstock last year and love them: http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Grand-Luxe-Duetta-Egyptian-Cotton-Sateen-Deep-Pocket-1200-Thread-Count-Sheet-Set/7752996/product.html?TID=MyAcct:MO:OR:razz:rodName I love crawling into bed at night.

Love these threads--I got a lot of great products from the beauty thread, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

ETA: Wanted to add Farrow & Ball paint. We re-painted our main floor a few years ago and used all Farrow & Ball. The colors are so beautiful and the pigment is so rich. I really love it. We still used Benjamin Moore in the upstairs bedrooms, but when we eventually re-paint, I'll be using all Farrow & Ball.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1462341476|4027003 said:

I have the BEST story about crocs; I used to wear them on my old boat and my dad's boat due to their comfort, grip and ability to get soaking wet. I remember having a shower and seeing all these dirty spots on my feet and spent about 10 minutes trying to clean them off before I realised that the dirty spots was actually my croc tan spots :lol:

OMG Jordy, that is TOO funny!!! I actually first discovered how incredibly comfortable Crocs were on a sailboat ride in Bali. After that I was hooked!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1462343279|4027009 said:
I had a fantastic experience with my duvet and sham set from Restoration Hardware. It was the Cypress Italian Paisley in Fog. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1498007 The cotton sateen was so soft and lovely. It didn't wrinkle too much and was super durable. I actually had two duvets and switched them out each time I washed them. I had this on my bed for 6 years. And I have 5 cats. Great set.

I just re-did my bedroom and bought this duvet and shams set, which is the linen, and I am less happy with it. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6451739&categoryId=cat1860011 It's beautiful. But unless you wash it on cold and use air dry it is like burlap, and I'm not happy washing my linens on cold. And drying a duvet on air takes forever, plus, in the new washer and dryer the thing balls up like you wouldn't believe. It takes 3 HOURS to dry it, and I have to un-ball it every half hour. So... total pain in the neck.

So I would TOTALLY buy another sateen set from them. But another linen, nope.

Oh, thank you for linking those! The Cypress Italian Paisley is gorgeous and it's on sale!!!

And good to know about the set in linen. I always wondered if lined would be high maintenance and you just confirmed my suspicion. Can you return it to RH? Tell them they are stiff as burlap when you wash per the instructions? I feel they may at least give you a store credit.....

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1462357031|4027035 said:
I'm loving this thread!!

Hi JDDN, we have bed linen from the Restoration Hardware Italian collection. 100% cotton and so soft.
I think this is the set we have. We got it so long ago I am not completely sure but it is from the Italian hotel collection.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6451696&categoryId=cat6110227

We wash it on regular setting but not with the towels. I like to wash our bed linens separately from everything and we don't use delicate setting but normal setting and dry it on normal setting too. Years ago I used to wash and dry them on the delicate setting (because like you that's what I read was best) but found out my dh was using the regular setting and it washed and dried just fine no issues. We have our Restoration Hardware sheets for well over a decade and while we switch between the sets we have never had an issue. 4 cats and counting. 8)

Ahh....those look so luxurious and soft and I'm loving that they've held up for so long on regular cycle! Thank you for linking them for me. I think I'll try some out and see for myself!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1461943603|4025114 said:
Missy, I'm with you about Scott tissue.
It's the only brand I buy.
A long time ago my grandmother told me that you get so much more square footage of paper from Scott than the other brands. I started to compare brands, and she was right.
If you stand in the store, and start looking at the square footage, you will be amazed at the difference.

I only buy Scott tissue too. The others leave behind....stuff. :shock:

I'm also all about Gain flings, fireworks and dryer sheets. I LOVE the smell of Gain! DH even got us a Gain Amazon Dash button! :lol:

Meyers hand soap and cleaning sprays are some of my favorites, too.

And Bona hardwood floor wet cleaning pads. LOVE them!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1462383099|4027210 said:
jordyonbass|1462341476|4027003 said:

OMG Jordy, that is TOO funny!!! I actually first discovered how incredibly comfortable Crocs were on a sailboat ride in Bali. After that I was hooked!

They're great for boats! They're also an incredibly versatile bit of footwear, we once turned one into a bait for a gamefish :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results