shape
carat
color
clarity

PSpers like to see the arrow at a prong or between?

4Moonlite

Rough_Rock
I just want to know PSers like to see the arrow directly at 12 clock or between 11 and 1 clock for 6 prongs?
My priority references are;

1. Gia number exposure
2. Hiding the inclusions if any
3. Darker arrows on the top 12 (clock) evenly. It will be irritated me if I see the darkest arrow pointing at 3 or 9 clock.
Should I talk directly to the setter Or we leave all of theses to the setter to make that determination.

Did you have a chance to talk to the setter when you have a custom ring make? Or just communicate with the seller?
Any tips to know and need to communicate with the seller to avoid a disappointing at the end when I'm receiving a ring.
Just want to hear your opinions.

Elepig

Rough_Rock
Personally, I wouldn't mind either one, for a six prong or four prong.

When I recently purchased my setting (4 prong) from a B&M, and had them set the diamond I purchased from WF, I told them I wanted the laser-inscribed number of the diamond viewable.....and I wound up with the top arrow at 11:30-45ish. The way the arrows sat when done, didn't even cross my mind until I got it home and noticed where they landed. At this point, I don't care and don't want them messing any more with my ring/diamond. They about cried when I didn't go with one of their diamonds and canceled the one I had on hold.

No, I didn't talk to the in-house setter. The sales person wrote out any instructions I had. Had I to do it over again, I'd ask if they could tackle both issues...viewable inscription and arrows arranged either way (instead of off-center) if manageable. If not, seeing the inscription would be priority, for me. You have to move your ring in a certain way to see the arrows anyway. Most of the time, you can't.

Oh, and from what I can see, the arrows are the same 'darkness'.

4Moonlite

Rough_Rock
Elepig|1462307288|4026708 said:
Personally, I wouldn't mind either one, for a six prong or four prong.

When I recently purchased my setting (4 prong) from a B&M, and had them set the diamond I purchased from WF, I told them I wanted the laser-inscribed number of the diamond viewable.....and I wound up with the top arrow at 11:30-45ish. The way the arrows sat when done, didn't even cross my mind until I got it home and noticed where they landed. At this point, I don't care and don't want them messing any more with my ring/diamond. They about cried when I didn't go with one of their diamonds and canceled the one I had on hold.

No, I didn't talk to the in-house setter. The sales person wrote out any instructions I had. Had I to do it over again, I'd ask if they could tackle both issues...viewable inscription and arrows arranged either way (instead of off-center) if manageable. If not, seeing the inscription would be priority, for me. You have to move your ring in a certain way to see the arrows anyway. Most of the time, you can't.

Oh, and from what I can see, the arrows are the same 'darkness'.
I'll try to communicate with the seller with my references and hopefully the setter get my message. I'm referring the arrows right at the center than off the center. Thank you for your feedback.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never see any dark arrows, just so you know. They all flash white light. Dark arrows are from camera obstruction and a well cut diamond will not show darkness at a normal viewing distance. How a diamond is set may partly be due to the number of prongs and their placement.

Here's a picture where you can see arrows due to the camera being close. The top arrow is in the 12:00 position and that would probably be my preference.

leontiffany5.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mostly setters are pretty busy doing what they do, and that doesn't involve much talking on the phone or reading and responding to email. Often they aren't a direct employee of the seller. The combination of those two means that it's routinely difficult to arrange a direct phone or email exchange with them. This is part of what the seller is for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is good when the seller of the diamond can set it. Jewelers like Whiteflash do this routinely without asking, usually. And as Neil said, yes, you communicate your wishes to the jeweler, not to the bench.

4Moonlite

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1462363013|4027056 said:
I never see any dark arrows, just so you know. They all flash white light. Dark arrows are from camera obstruction and a well cut diamond will not show darkness at a normal viewing distance. How a diamond is set may partly be due to the number of prongs and their placement.

Here's a picture where you can see arrows due to the camera being close. The top arrow is in the 12:00 position and that would probably be my preference.

The diamond setting in your photo is exactly, I want to see how it set on my ring.
I never see the diamond in person just from the photo that seller has sent to me therefore it may like the case you you said.

Thank you DS and Neil for your expertise feedback.

4Moonlite

Rough_Rock
I'm very disappointed with Adiamor about how they set diamond on the ring. I told them not to set low,
I want to see clearly the culet from side view. Once I paid them the communication turned out difficult. When I received it. I instantly knew this diamond was set too low.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results