shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for novice please

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I have been a long time lurker but am finally posting. I am looking to buy a stone to upgrade from my original 0.85 ct I color, SI1 stone. For a number of reasons that I won't bore you with, we are working with a local jeweler instead of trying to sell the stone and and purchase through an on-line vendor.

I have a basic understanding of the 4 C's. Today I was shown a stone that is GIA certified, 1.29 ct, VS2, K color, triple Excellent. The dimensions are as follows: Table: 55, Depth 61.5, Crown angle: 35, Pavilion angle: 40.8. From what I can tell these seem "good" (not as good as they could be I'm sure) and the stone looked beautiful to me.

My main concern is color. The stone faced up white, but from the side there was a very faint yellow tint. The stone will be mounted in a white gold setting with melee that is probably around I in color. I compared the new stone to my old stone and it is slightly warmer. My old stone never looked at all yellow to me, from any angle. Budget is a consideration and the price is right but I'm concerned if the color might bother me once the wow factor of having a larger stone wears off.

My questions are, from the information I have provided, do you think that this is a nice stone? I'm wondering if I should have the jeweler order some stones that are say, J color but SI1 or SI2 in clarity. I know it comes down to my own preference, but would you prefer a K VS2 or a J SI1, if size and cut were similar?

Thanks in advance for any help!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you are already questioning the tint in the K compared to your older stone, if it bothers you a little now, it will keep bothering and maybe compounded later. So for you I would request the J and higher color. My personal sweet spots are J and K colors and fancy colors but it took me years to decide that and many many diamonds :wall: with all color range.

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
I'm a consumer, not an expert. I agree with the previous poster that the color will bother you in the future. I recently bought a diamond in H, but could still see enough yellow that it bothered me. I ended up returning it. The whole return process is annoying and costly, so if I were in your shoes, I'd figure out your minimum threshold for the 4 C's.

Feel free to post your criteria and price limit here. There's a lot of experts you may be able to find you a diamond. Nothing beats seeing it in person though.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
A K color will definitely show color from the side. FYI Tiffany Co only sells "I" color diamonds and higher, suggesting that most people won't notice yellow color. I suggest going H or higher because you would more likely see a contract between I color and other diamonds (like if there are other diamonds in the engagement ring or wedding band).

The dimensions you listed are very good for a diamond, but you can't hide body color on a K. Also, even then, you'd want to see a well-shot picture of the diamond to know things are lines up well, and an idealscope image if possible. Generally, if the arrows are nice and lined up in a well-shot photo and the dimensions are good, the vast majority of people won't be able to tell the difference between that and a super super precision cut diamond. Add in the fact that most people don't keep their diamonds crystal clean, and the difference is a wash (pun intended).

Your best bet is H SI1 (or SI2 if you can find one that looks eye clean on James Allen or a place like it)with no worrisome cleavages and nice dimensions like the one you found.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the opinions. I am trying to work with my local jeweler for the time being, as opposed to selling, buying & setting all at different places. My husband is more comfortable working locally & as this is a large purchase I'm trying to let him have a say!

I definitely don't feel like I need to go to an H, as I have an I and don't see any color. It is probably a good idea to see some J color stones. I'm very excited that I've found such a great cut at a local jeweler though and hate to let it go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let it go. I agree with the other posters. A K will bother you if it at all bothers you now it will only be magnified as time goes on. So even if it is a great stone it is not great for you because it is a K. Remember a deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want. There will be other beautiful stones more suited to your needs I promise you. Good luck!

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
To answer your question above, I, myself, would prefer a K color VS2 over a J color Si1. The reason being I absolutely love K color diamonds. There is warmth there but I love it and I think a K is the prettiest of the warmer stones. There is just something about that amount of tint that appeals to me. Your eyes might be telling you the same thing. They might like the tint you're seeing. But I also do not expect a K color to appear white. I am not looking at it as a white stone, I know it is tinted. I like clarity and I prefer a K over a J. My eyes do not like J, or G colored stones. All that said, my e-ring is H, Si1. Because it provides a nice balance of the 4Cs and I just thought it was such a pretty shape. I would love a VS2 but in my size I'd lose too much weight so I keep my SI1. That stone spoke to me and that is the most important.

I'd ask the jeweler to look at some Js. There are high and low Js and some low Js can appear more yellow or tinted than a K. I think it is due to K being a narrower range. J is a large range. Something fun is to have the jeweler show you 3 or 4 diamonds in your range without telling you what they are and allowing you to find the one that speaks to you. Then check the stats and see if you like them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will regret compromising to get a K if you do not like it in the store. I suggest I/J range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results