Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline threa

Rfisher|1461446347|4022871 said:
Acinom|1461394157|4022684 said:
Rfisher: thanks for sharing the additional pic! It's such a beautiful stone and necklace design! How did you envision it originally? It's a very elegant design amd it looks beautiful on you. I knew that Adam designs jewelry as well, but I have only bought a stone from him. What does his design process look like?

Oh- I hope I didn't mislead you! It wasn't really custom that involved drawings/CADs. I sent him an inspiration pic that's all over Google images, and stated I wanted a thinner more delicate "0". I also was questioning bezel /prongs, and was advised it would be like a hybrid with both. I was leaning towards the bezel, but I was ok with bezel plus prongs for durability. He brought up that the back of the pendant would be solid, but I'm really glad it is not. I feel it would really look like it came from a gumball machine.
I received it with the heavy duty "0", but it doesn't detract from the stone too much as I was worried so I'm ok with it. It also has no hint of a bezel, just long prongs that are not really even. That's probably due to the stone, I don't know. I'm also afraid if I get it elongated to 17" chain length instead of 17 total length, it will flip without weight of the bezel to hold it.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm debating on whether or not to have it re-worked.

To my eyes it looks really beautiful. But if you had something different in mind and the result is different than agreed, I would contact Adam.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My Paraiba ring has arrived! I am so happy with the results - Yvonne really deserves a big thanks for putting up with my questions and anxiety, she really made a beautiful ring! :love:

More photos on SMTB: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-brazilian-paraiba-halo-ring-from-yvonne-raley-is-here.222461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-brazilian-paraiba-halo-ring-from-yvonne-raley-is-here.222461/[/URL]

Here are a couple of photos that I didn't include in the SMTB thread.
pearparaiba.jpg hanaparaiba.jpg

pinkjewel, after receiving the ring, I would say that the outer row of 1mm Paraiba is noticeable and does help round out the overall look of my ring because my center stone is somewhat elongated. I think this is because of the contrast between the platinum and the paraiba. If it were diamonds in a white metal I wouldn't bother as engraving would work just as well, however in my opinion the 1mm Paraiba should provide sufficient color contrast with the metal setting. :wavey:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Mochiko it's gorgeous! Oh you'll feel so glamorous with that on your finger :love:

What size are the bigger paraiba meelee?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

mochiko42|1461649425|4023640 said:
My Paraiba ring has arrived! I am so happy with the results - Yvonne really deserves a big thanks for putting up with my questions and anxiety, she really made a beautiful ring! :love:

More photos on SMTB: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-brazilian-paraiba-halo-ring-from-yvonne-raley-is-here.222461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-brazilian-paraiba-halo-ring-from-yvonne-raley-is-here.222461/[/URL]

Here are a couple of photos that I didn't include in the SMTB thread.
pearparaiba.jpg hanaparaiba.jpg

pinkjewel, after receiving the ring, I would say that the outer row of 1mm Paraiba is noticeable and does help round out the overall look of my ring because my center stone is somewhat elongated. I think this is because of the contrast between the platinum and the paraiba. If it were diamonds in a white metal I wouldn't bother as engraving would work just as well, however in my opinion the 1mm Paraiba should provide sufficient color contrast with the metal setting. :wavey:

Thanks so much for your input!! Mine is in rose gold, but I think the paraibas still would show up nicely. Off to convo Yvonne and see if it's too late to add the outer row =)

And, I really love how your ring turned out!! :love:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1461649425|4023640 said:
My Paraiba ring has arrived! I am so happy with the results - Yvonne really deserves a big thanks for putting up with my questions and anxiety, she really made a beautiful ring! :love: :wavey:

Congratulations! So pretty!
Your pictures are even more beautiful than the vendors. Enjoy!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

This little cutie is on its way to me. I loved Yvonne's ring so much that I basically had mine made exactly like hers. I debated just a bit too long about adding the outer paraiba melee, but I think I'll love it as is and if I decide they can still be added later. I will post more photos once I receive it.

il_301.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Woohoo! Your Paraiba cab looks gorgeous in rose gold pinkjewel :love: :love:

Personally I love the engraved outer edge as it adds additional oomph and contrast. I cannot wait to see your pics. Did Yvonne send you any more pics? :naughty:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Acinom|1461784893|4024257 said:
Woohoo! Your Paraiba cab looks gorgeous in rose gold pinkjewel :love: :love:

Personally I love the engraved outer edge as it adds additional oomph and contrast. I cannot wait to see your pics. Did Yvonne send you any more pics? :naughty:
thanks, Acinom! I also love the outer engraved edge- it's just that rose gold tends to just blend with my skin, so I thought about adding the melee. I also have this photo from Yvonne- but it doesn't really show much more.

il_302.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pinkjewel|1461782924|4024243 said:
This little cutie is on its way to me. I loved Yvonne's ring so much that I basically had mine made exactly like hers. I debated just a bit too long about adding the outer paraiba melee, but I think I'll love it as is and if I decide they can still be added later. I will post more photos once I receive it.

I LOVE this!! The rose gold and hauynes really add such a rich, regal touch to the whole ring, it could be something worn by Queen Cleopatra (or Liz Taylor as Cleopatra! Right next to the Taylor-Burton jewels :lol: ). The engraving is beautiful too! :love: Please post a ton of pics when you get the ring.

I debated getting hauynes for my ring but finally went with diamond instead as I was concerned about long-term maintenance since I'm outside the US and hauyne is even rarer than Paraiba, I don't know any jewelers here that know how to work with it. I did ask Yvonne to send me some spare Paraiba melee to set aside (just in case).

Could I ask what width you made the shank? It looks very well proportioned. :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beauty! Enjoy!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

mochiko42|1461798166|4024355 said:

I LOVE this!! The rose gold and hauynes really add such a rich, regal touch to the whole ring, it could be something worn by Queen Cleopatra (or Liz Taylor as Cleopatra! Right next to the Taylor-Burton jewels :lol: ). The engraving is beautiful too! :love: Please post a ton of pics when you get the ring.

I debated getting hauynes for my ring but finally went with diamond instead as I was concerned about long-term maintenance since I'm outside the US and hauyne is even rarer than Paraiba, I don't know any jewelers here that know how to work with it. I did ask Yvonne to send me some spare Paraiba melee to set aside (just in case).

Could I ask what width you made the shank? It looks very well proportioned. :)

thanks, mochiko!! It's a very different look for me as I'm usually much "safer" with my color combinations! I debated diamonds instead of hauynites for mine-lol!! I bought extra hauynite and paraiba melee, too- just in case!!! I figured I'd never be able to match either one if I needed them later. As far as the shank size- I left everything stock and didn't change her regular shank. I did have a discussion with her about the width prior to setting and need to look back at my convos, but 3mm comes to mind because I wondered if it would be too thick, but in the end decided I liked the proportions with the ring since it is fairly substantial.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Rfisher|1461798802|4024357 said:

Beauty! Enjoy!
thanks Rfisher- can't wait to get it and see it in person!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

mochiko- just looked up my convos and Yvonne's response is that the shank is 3mm tapering to 2 mm.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pinkjewel and mochiko - Yvonne's large Camellia paraiba ring has always been one of my favorites and you are both sooo lucky to own one! They both are stunning :love:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats to all that have beautiful paraibas added to their collections! :appl: I absolutely love this thread!!! Can't wait for more goodies to ogle at.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

lilmosun|1461807642|4024412 said:
Pinkjewel and mochiko - Yvonne's large Camellia paraiba ring has always been one of my favorites and you are both sooo lucky to own one! They both are stunning :love:

lilmosun- the camellia ring has been one of my faves, too!! And when I first saw Yvonne's personal paraiba camellia I knew I wanted one very similar and although my paraiba is smaller and bluer than hers I think it's close enough. =)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mochiko your new ring turned out beautifully!
Seriously, I'm in love!!! :love: :love: :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pinkjewel, I am in love with Yvonne's ring too. I'm glad you had one made to look like it...gorgeous.
I can't wait until you have it in hand...and post all those personal pics. :naughty:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Omg Mochiko and PinkJewel what fabulous rings. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mochiko and PinkJewel I love that you are ringsisters while the rings each have their unique character. Great choices both!!
Two stunning Paraiba projects and a great showcase of Yvonne's work.

_3330.jpeg

_3331.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125 had a tropical flower ring made by David Klass: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-paraiba-flower-ring.222552/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-paraiba-flower-ring.222552/[/URL]

Her ring has such an amazing color play!
Impatiently awaiting her own pics once her ring has arrived :love: David Klass and elle_71125 truly made the Paraiba center stone glow with that vibrant row of pink.

_3341.jpeg

_3342.jpeg

_3343.jpeg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone, I took a few photos which I hope will be educational and helpful for those who collect blue-green stones. :)

Pictured are Brazilian paraiba tourmaline (the turquoise cab), Mozambique green cuprian tourmaline, gem silica, and blue-green Afghan tourmaline.

Of the two copper-bearing tourmalines, the Mozambique stone is faceted and has more sparkle and neon. The Brazilian cab has a gentler glow but is still neon, it's definitely a paraiba. However it's not as sparkly or as strikingly neon as the green Mozambique stone but I suspect part of the subtlety of it is also due to the difference between the cut (faceted vs non faceted).

The non-paraiba stones have strong saturation but lack the unique glow.
The Afghan is very bright and clean but does not glow (it is not copper bearing), while the gem silica (which is copper-bearing) has strong color saturation. It has a slightly waxy jade-like lustre (as it's a type of chalcedony), it glows subtly, but not in the neon Paraiba way.

I find them all beautiful in their own way. :lickout:

20160430_145247.jpg 20160430_145343.jpg

Another photo, with a couple of loose stones (Namibian teal tourmaline, and a natural blue topaz asscher).
rps20160430_153738.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mochiko your post is very educational as well as droolworthy :love: :love:
Thank you for sharing your photo's and insights :appl:

And... One of "our" Paraiba's is Jewel of the Week!!!
Congrats Mochiko; your ring is stunning.

_3344.jpeg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1462007642|4025442 said:
Mochiko your post is very educational as well as droolworthy :love: :love:
Thank you for sharing your photo's and insights :appl:

And... One of "our" Paraiba's is Jewel of the Week!!!
Congrats Mochiko; your ring is stunning.

Thank you Acinom. Definitely one of 'our' Paraibas! :D I feel like it's a shared achievement for the CS forum!! :lol: We retook the Jewel of the Week, lol. In truth, all of the credit has to go to Yvonne and her team including Brandy for the CAD and Pierre for the milgrain.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A word of reflection...
We have been seeing the most gorgeous
jewelry created with the equally stunning
Paraiba and Copper bearing stones.
We seem to have created our own trend.

But are we making choices because the
stones are our taste or are we being
stirred by the trend.

In any case: ensure that a stone has a
stunning and saturated color and glow
for your own taste. And that the pricing
fits with the quality. Only buy from
recommended and trusted vendor with a
good return policy.

What do you think. Are we creating our own
trend and let ourselves get carried away?
Would love to hear your opinion.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1462002015|4025434 said:
Hi everyone, I took a few photos which I hope will be educational and helpful for those who collect blue-green stones. :)

Pictured are Brazilian paraiba tourmaline (the turquoise cab), Mozambique green cuprian tourmaline, gem silica, and blue-green Afghan tourmaline.

Of the two copper-bearing tourmalines, the Mozambique stone is faceted and has more sparkle and neon. The Brazilian cab has a gentler glow but is still neon, it's definitely a paraiba. However it's not as sparkly or as strikingly neon as the green Mozambique stone but I suspect part of the subtlety of it is also due to the difference between the cut (faceted vs non faceted).

The non-paraiba stones have strong saturation but lack the unique glow.
The Afghan is very bright and clean but does not glow (it is not copper bearing), while the gem silica (which is copper-bearing) has strong color saturation. It has a slightly waxy jade-like lustre (as it's a type of chalcedony), it glows subtly, but not in the neon Paraiba way.

I find them all beautiful in their own way. :lickout:

Another photo, with a couple of loose stones (Namibian teal tourmaline, and a natural blue topaz asscher).

Wow, Mochiko I love this post! Very educational for anyone thinking/admiring that blue green color in stones. As a fellow blue/green collector I ADORE all of your stones. So unique each in their own way, and all gorgeous. Great job! :appl: :appl:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is no different than mahenge stones, the French side collection, using VC, LM, or SK, rose gold, transition from yellow gold to white/platinum, halos, old cuts, FCD's.

Forums and the Internet have increased and magnified what has always been.

Eta:
As far as letting ourselves getting carried away, I think commenting on that now is at an inopportune time.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher|1462131857|4025907 said:

I think it is no different than mahenge stones, the French side collection, using VC, LM, or SK, rose gold, transition from yellow gold to white/platinum, halos, old cuts, FCD's.

Forums and the Internet have increased and magnified what has always been.

Eta:
As far as letting ourselves getting carried away, I think commenting on that now is at an inopportune time.

Hope you don't feel as though you can't comment on this due to my thread, Rfisher. I definitely do not take it personally. For me, paraiba is something I've been coveting since I joined PS, but after really considering how much my "vision" would cost, I needed to take a step back. But I think Acinom brings up a great point here, since everyone has their own taste and getting caught up in a trend won't end up making the wearer happy in the long run. I'll have to see my cab to know for sure whether it's my "dream" stone, or whether I need to accept that the stone I want isn't realistic at this point in my life/career/salary level. I'd love to hear more opinions!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think Acnimon's post raises good points, but perhaps RFisher is pointing out that it isn't unique to paraibas (and wondering if placing it here suggests we should question our paraiba purchases which I am sure wasn't the intent)?

There IS a PS effect and the board should come with a warning :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results