shape
carat
color
clarity

Genius or ridiculous? Fun poll

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun "poll". I didn't add a formal poll but what do you think? I came home to this today. Background-my MIL has been our full time caregiver bc DH just went back to work and our nanny doesn't start until the 6th. It's kinda driving me crazy.

When she saw the look on my face she said, "I can explain. DS2 kept bumping his head when he ran by."

Think I should keep it? :lol:

_3303.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of a countertop that pees and needs a diaper.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the alternative?

Do you have an unused leopard print pillow around?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GENIUS!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :wavey: :love: :wavey: :love:

At least she didn't go get one of your bras to rig up over the offending sharp edge!!!! :lol:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was torn between "wow, pretty macgyver of her!" and "what the...?"

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant. That's a keeper right there :bigsmile:
Actually solves the problem very neatly, too!

And definitely save this photo for the kiddo's wedding ::)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

I'll go with genius, it got the job done!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brilliant! There are parents that have kids with scarred eyebrows all over the world wishing they had thought of this sooner! :lol:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I wish this had been on the corner of our glass coffee table when I was a kid. I'm one of those toddlers who received a scarred eyebrow! :doh:

I say it's genius! :clap: :clap: :clap:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It's a good idea, but I can tell you from experience that if left on too long, the tape might leave marks on your cabinets/countertops (depending on the material they're made of). The previous homeowner of my house used that tape to tape a laundry room cabinet door closed and you can still see the marks where the tape was peeled off years ago.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Necessity and rest of that addage...I'd say brilliant! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it is ridiculous...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
marymm|1461721158|4023994 said:
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it is ridiculous...

It's so ridiculous that it's genius; like a cannon made out of a tree trunk or a boat made out of nothing but duct tape!!! :bigsmile:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've already removed it because well, it looks like crap. And I'm afraid the tape won't come off. I may consider temporary corner guards or just remind my kids no running in the kitchen!

It's been a trying few weeks for all of us with MIL being here full time. We're looking forward to going back to normal so she can just be a doting grandma and not primary caregiver. Last week she let the kids draw on my concrete front porch with crayon. :o At least this I can giggle at and move on.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the mom of two boys-- genius!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
MIL has been there for a few weeks??? Wow. That would be, um, interesting. Kudos to you for maintaining your sanity :D I love my MIL, but it would be ugly if she stayed longer than about a week - and the feeling would be mutual because I'm pretty sure she'd get sick of me/us after about the same amount of time.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
" Depends" :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the mother of a son with a scar through his eyebrow, I can say its genius! Years ago, we took the corner guards off our coffee table for one day - one day - Christmas. Of course, we ended up in the emergency room and he ended up with the scar :cry: Without fail, every single person who came in contact with our son in the ER (e.g., techs, nurses, doctors) all said "coffee table?"!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1461723384|4024016 said:
" Depends" :lol:

Stahp!!! No mocking the elderly here!

I think it's brilliant but I did roll my eyes. My mother had every sharp-ish corner of her house covered in special foam corner thingies when she was taking care of my niece a few days a week. She is a firm believer in babies living in bubbles! We all kind of laughed about it but she was very firm and said "hey, no baby here has ever died on my watch!" Some people believe in overkill and you-can't-be-too-careful. I'll take that over neglect any day. I have an almost 4 year old and my house is totally not up to par as far as childproofing, and believe me, my parents let me know that every time they come over. Still, my kid has managed to survive for almost 4 years... and my brother and I grew up running wild in the woods on a farm every day, so there you go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a grandma, I say genius! Ugly but functional. I babysit 2x a week and safety is super important. I would feel terrible if something happened under my watch!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1461731144|4024059 said:
My mother had every sharp-ish corner of her house covered in special foam corner thingies when she was taking care of my niece a few days a week. She is a firm believer in babies living in bubbles! We all kind of laughed about it but she was very firm and said "hey, no baby here has ever died on my watch!"

I absolutely hate the idea of 'bubbling' a child! I may not have any kids yet but when I do I will be sending them out in the dead of winter in a singlet and shorts with no shoes, bringing them into the wilderness with me where the words 'clean' and 'hygenic' are another language, teaching them how to deal with Aussie wildlife in the safest possible manner.

To some parents it's irresponsible parenting, to others it's the way children should be raised but aren't nowadays thanks to video games and other vices. For me it's how I was raised and I don't know any better (at least that's my story and I am sticking to it!).

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I can't help but love her for wanting to protect your little one from harm. It's a temporary solution, but she had everyone's best interest at heart.

Of course, now you HAVE to invest in miles of bubblewrap. Use it to cover every stinking corner of the house!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1461732988|4024065 said:
monarch64|1461731144|4024059 said:
My mother had every sharp-ish corner of her house covered in special foam corner thingies when she was taking care of my niece a few days a week. She is a firm believer in babies living in bubbles! We all kind of laughed about it but she was very firm and said "hey, no baby here has ever died on my watch!"

I absolutely hate the idea of 'bubbling' a child! I may not have any kids yet but when I do I will be sending them out in the dead of winter in a singlet and shorts with no shoes, bringing them into the wilderness with me where the words 'clean' and 'hygenic' are another language, teaching them how to deal with Aussie wildlife in the safest possible manner.

To some parents it's irresponsible parenting, to others it's the way children should be raised but aren't nowadays thanks to video games and other vices. For me it's how I was raised and I don't know any better (at least that's my story and I am sticking to it!).

Jordy, I agree! And here's the funny part: my parents let my brother and me roam free around their wooded property with ponds and all kinds of places to basically die in when we were kids! We did the craziest things, ran around with bb guns, knives, you name it! Now all my mother wants to do is protect protect protect and my brother and I just sort of die laughing internally because we know she was a totally hands off type of parent with us! My dad had us out in the woods all the time and taught us survival basics and had us riding around on the side of the tractor, etc. Things that people would call Child Protective Services on parents today! We also didn't have a seatbelt law back then...times have changed for good in some ways. I don't know if my child will have a similar upbringing at all. We were just at my parents' a few days ago and my mom was worried that the girls were going to trip on a hole in the yard (it was basically a divot about 8" deep) and break a leg. I mean, when I was little she just handed us a referee whistle and said "if you get in trouble signal me with this." :lol:

I think there is a balance between helicoptering and neglect with regard to parenting. It's definitely a fine line. I hope I can teach my daughter all the things she needs to know and call in experts when I don't know the answers, I guess. Parenting is crazy, but one hopes that common sense prevails and our kids will grow up strong and healthy despite pressure to raise them with all sorts of training wheels!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIL and I have a decent relationship. We get along just fine but have very different interests and personalities so not much in common aside from the kids. This is the perfect example. She tapes a diaper to the corner of the counter so DS2 doesn't hit his head where I would just remind the kids that running in the kitchen isn't permitted. DS2 actually whacked his head recently on a window sill. He was goofing off, tripped and hit his head mid-fall on the sill. It resulted in a huge goose egg with a scrape down the middle. It's pretty much gone with a faint hint of yellow and a scar from the scrape. She told me I should see a plastic surgeon about the scar.

I do realize we're so fortunate to even have someone who is willing to help so much. But for all of our sanity, I'm glad it's short term. And I sure do hope this nanny works out!

PS - at 72 she can physically keep up with the kids no problem. She's in better shape than me. It's the emotional side of caring for them that gets the best of her. She just wants them to happy and that's her focus. Trying keeping a 5 and 3 year old happy at all times is exhausting....and you're unlikely to succeed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how did I miss the Depends! :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1461761660|4024131 said:
MIL and I have a decent relationship. We get along just fine but have very different interests and personalities so not much in common aside from the kids. This is the perfect example. She tapes a diaper to the corner of the counter so DS2 doesn't hit his head where I would just remind the kids that running in the kitchen isn't permitted. DS2 actually whacked his head recently on a window sill. He was goofing off, tripped and hit his head mid-fall on the sill. It resulted in a huge goose egg with a scrape down the middle. It's pretty much gone with a faint hint of yellow and a scar from the scrape. She told me I should see a plastic surgeon about the scar.

I do realize we're so fortunate to even have someone who is willing to help so much. But for all of our sanity, I'm glad it's short term. And I sure do hope this nanny works out!

PS - at 72 she can physically keep up with the kids no problem. She's in better shape than me. It's the emotional side of caring for them that gets the best of her. She just wants them to happy and that's her focus. Trying keeping a 5 and 3 year old happy at all times is exhausting....and you're unlikely to succeed.

Yes, I suppose that you are lucky that you have a MIL who wants to help. Mine is not much into the grandma thing. Actually, I'm pretty sure she finds children - including her own grandchildren - irritating.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momhappy, everyone's entitled to their own feelings but geez! My children are well behaved but, like any, can get under your skin. If my MIL is ever annoyed with them she never shows it. I think they and her own children are more important to her than anything else.

Q

Queenie60

Clever idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results