shape
carat
color
clarity

eternity ring shimming?

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I've seen some references to shimming an eternity ring when it needs to be a bit smaller. I can't seem to find any images of a shimmed ring on pricescope or on the internet in general (images of rings with sizing beads seem to be fairly easy to find in comparison)

Does any have a picture of a ring that has been shimmed to understand what it looks like?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a diamond eternity channel-set band smoothed along the inside for the purpose of making it ever so slightly larger - it worked!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
motownmama|1429574451|3865072 said:
I had a diamond eternity channel-set band smoothed along the inside for the purpose of making it ever so slightly larger - it worked!

Me too! But I don't remember anyone doing the opposite.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the opposite is adding sizing beads to make a ring smaller.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
motownmama|1429582947|3865135 said:
I think the opposite is adding sizing beads to make a ring smaller.

I've also seen flat bars used, but never in an eternity. The spinning of the ring with sizing beads would drive me bonkers and I'm a huge fan of them. I have then in both my ering and a favorite antique rhr that I didn't want to size.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Ponder

Would you be able to posts any pictures of the flat bars in your two sized down rings? Seems like that is the closest to what I am looking for so far.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have knuckle problems so most of my rings have a sizing bridge in them. The size of the bridge can be adjusted and I like them better than beads. I don't know if this would work with your eternity band.

_29297.jpg

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
There's also something called "sizing cushions" (apparently a flatter version of sizing beads), but the only example I have found of these is the following thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-balls-vs-sizing-cushions.37856/

The above thread includes a picture of the following ring (belonging to Jazmine) showing the two small cushion-shaped bumps at 5 & 7 o'clock in the shank:
ring464ja.JPG

If anybody has any additional information about such "sizing cushions" (or perhaps a more accurate terminology that will generate better search results), or any personal experience, please post.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
drk14 , thanks for digging. I found that picture as well. It seems to be the elusive unicorn.....no more images like that.

Catmom....thanks for the picture. I was hoping for something flatter.....what Ponder mentioned sounded promising.....a picture would be awesome to see if it is what I am sort of imagining.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
drk14|1429653209|3865502 said:
There's also something called "sizing cushions" (apparently a flatter version of sizing beads), but the only example I have found of these is the following thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-balls-vs-sizing-cushions.37856/

The above thread includes a picture of the following ring (belonging to Jazmine) showing the two small cushion-shaped bumps at 5 & 7 o'clock in the shank:
ring464ja.JPG

If anybody has any additional information about such "sizing cushions" (or perhaps a more accurate terminology that will generate better search results), or any personal experience, please post.

This was the thread I was thinking of and I don't know of any other images. You are going to need to talk ti a jeweler to see what is possible. What is the size change you are going for? Anything over maybe 1/2 size may not work, but then I'm no expert.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Ponder, so you have sizing beads? I think I misunderstood and thought you had bars.

I did read more of Jazmine's old posts....thanks for or ting me past her image from whiteflash

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
edelweissmaedl|1429664026|3865577 said:
Ponder, so you have sizing beads? I think I misunderstood and thought you had bars.

I did read more of Jazmine's old posts....thanks for or ting me past her image from whiteflash

Yes, I have several rings with beads. Some are very round, some are little lumps of gold, but they prevent spinning and slippage for me without requiring sizing down. I do not like tight jewelry.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
I have 2 eternity rings with flat bars inside to make them smaller. Each ring has 3 bars; they look like bumpers and run the length of the ring top to bottom. Mthey're rounded and look like speed bumps. Very comfortable and work well for me - this way I can wear the rings in either hand (different finger sizes and also knuckle issues). I added them after purchase, very easy.

One suggestion if you're considering this: have your jeweler make the bars as large as you need - and then some. It's a lot easier to file them down than to add more metal after the fact. We filed them down slightly in one ring after I wore it a few weeks and now it fits perfectly.

I find the flat bars far more comfortable than previous sizing beads that I've had in other non-eternity rings. They're just grippy enough without being painful and I'm not even aware they're there. For me, it's been a terrific solution.

Let me know if any more questions. image_3392.jpg

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the picture Gemmyblond! Is your other eternity ring similar where the bars match up neatly on the existing setting metal like what you posted or does the other one looks different? (just trying to find as much variety in the examples as I can)

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome! Happy to help.

My other eternity ring is a channel set baguette band. The 3 flat bars are the same - each one runs from the channel on one side of the band to the channel on the other side. Very simple and was easy for my jeweler to do. They look identical. They take the ring down a full size when needed (although it's still ever so slightly loose on smaller finger, but OK when stacked) yet still lets me wear it on the larger finger and get it past a larger knuckle.

Good luck.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is kind of old, but I wanted to revive it because I have an eternity that is a bit too large. Since I'm in the process of having CVB make a new setting, I wanted to have my bezel eternity sized (if possible).

My current ering setting is size 5 1/4 and eternity is 5 3/8... the band only stays on because of the ering setting. I am having the new ering setting sized to 5 1/8 and would like one bezel taken out of my band (whatever size that would be is okay with me). It bothers me because it sticks out past my ering. Not the end of the world, but ya know... ;))

So, is this done? Caysie is going to check with her bench to see if they can resize it, but I was wondering if any PS members have experienced this. Was it relatively easy? How did it turn out?

Here are some photos of my eternity...
bezel_1.jpg bezel_2.jpg bezel_3.jpg bezel_4.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* BUMP * 8)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have removed a bezel from a few of my eternity rings no problem. Two different jewelers. So it can be done successfully

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dannyandterry said:
I have removed a bezel from a few of my eternity rings no problem. Two different jewelers. So it can be done successfully

Thanks so much DandT! Was it a pricey repair?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm it's been years but I want to say it was under $100. But I also think it's who you use if you are doing something else it might be less or included with another service perhaps. I had it lumped with other projects for one jeweler and another one included the service becuase I bought the ring pre owned from them. But I know what you mean about the ring being a little too large that it sticks out not necessarily the design rise off the finger.
Good luck.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dannyandterry said:
Hmm it's been years but I want to say it was under $100. But I also think it's who you use if you are doing something else it might be less or included with another service perhaps. I had it lumped with other projects for one jeweler and another one included the service becuase I bought the ring pre owned from them. But I know what you mean about the ring being a little too large that it sticks out not necessarily the design rise off the finger.
Good luck.

Thanks so much for the information! [emoji8][emoji8]

Sg1972

Rough_Rock
F14C5597-3F02-4EDF-A8B6-CD20BFABDD11.jpeg 38909B7B-C89D-4ADF-98DA-44069F395296.jpeg I am having the same problem. 2 months ago I had an eternity ring made. I insisted on having it made slightly large (the jeweler advised me it wasn’t my true size but I was worried about my fingers swelling in the Florida heat).
After wearing it for a while I am constantly worried that I will loose it. It slides over my knuckle too easily.
Today I got in touch with my jeweler to ask about downsizing by half a size. His reply was that ‘it wasn’t really possible, they could maybe put some metal on the inside to keep it from spinning, but no great solutions’.
Has anyone successfully had the inside of their ring shimmed? How did it turn out? Can you post pics please.
My ring is a comfort fit with no holes on the underside.
Any ideas? 1A10587F-E539-487B-AA18-FC6B786F7381.jpeg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for a sizing bead solder small peice of gold and some flatten them just a bit.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T is right about how to go about this, but this thread is from 2015, if you want a comprehensive review of input/ideas, why not start a new thread, Sg1972.
Good luck!

Sg1972

Rough_Rock
B8E9C1E2-6FB1-40C7-B521-729D15453764.jpeg 7AE6E2AF-A21A-43D4-9A69-6CF099B274CC.jpeg F7B9C65E-2D7E-4371-BBC9-CD23D192DE87.jpeg
Thought I would post an update.
The jeweler was able to put a small half moon of platinum inside the ring. This has tightened it up half a size and of course means it can be removed if my finger size ever goes back up.
It’s totally invisible when worn and very comfortable, I wouldn’t know it was there.

Reactions: D&T

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Great idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results