shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of double cleansing. I wipe with a cleansing cloth, apply my product, and I'm off to bed :shock: For those of you who double cleanse, can you explain your process (obviously, it's cleansing twice, but I just wanted a little more detail about your process).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1461241350|4021999 said:
I've never heard of double cleansing. I wipe with a cleansing cloth, apply my product, and I'm off to bed :shock: For those of you who double cleanse, can you explain your process (obviously, it's cleansing twice, but I just wanted a little more detail about your process).

The first cleanse is using an oil-based cleanser and the second cleanse is using a water-based cleanser.

1st cleanse - it can be in a solid or liquid form, mineral oil based or mineral oil free. It is used to remove oil-based impurities because oil will pull or attract other oils such as sebum, sunscreen, and makeup. The first cleanse will emulsify with water, so you will lather it up, adding a little more water each time before continuing to massage your skin, then rinse it all off.

2nd cleanse - it can be either foaming or non-foaming. It is used to remove water-based impurities such as sweat and dirt, and any remaining traces of oil from your first cleanse.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1461239551|4021993 said:
ckrickett,
The ingredient list for the Innisfree sunscreen looks clean. What is your skin type? I don't wear makeup anyway, so looks like it is worth ordering to trial.

I have combo skin and it is very sensitive. Some products immediately turn me red and get my skin to burn. This sunscreen causes non of that. definitely worth a trial.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1461241617|4022002 said:

The first cleanse tends to be oil based to remove makeup and sunscreen. Physical sunscreen is very difficult to remove. It isn't pure oil though, but an emulsion that lathers when mixed with a little water, then rinsed off. The second cleanse is to remove the usual dirt, grime, and any traces of oil from the first cleanse.

Yes this. Makes you skin very clean and ready for the products you put on next (treatments, creams, moisturizers). Sometimes if I wear a very heavy face of makeup I add an additional cleanser - Oil-gel/foaming/ then I will use Tatchas Rice Enzyme Cleanser or a cleansing exfoliator.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy, chrono explained it perfectly...

I use Jojoba* oil first (DH likes to use Grapeseed* oil - he feels like it has more slip - so find one that works for you). With dry face and dry hands, I apply the oil and massage it gently but thoroughly all over my face and neck.

Then I take a cotton oval, wet it, and gently wipe the oil from my face and neck, using both sides.

Then I take the Toleriane cleanser, clean with that (no cotton oval this time), and rinse.

(*these are not cleansing oils per se so they don't emulsify like if you bought an oil designed for cleansing. One for cleansing will also more likely rinse cleaner. But I love that these oils are single ingredient, no fragrance, etc. and I actually *like* that the oil doesn't completely get washed off. My skin feels moisturized after.)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to those of you who explained your double cleansing process:)
I might give it a try. I have pretty normal skin that is probably best described as combo - slightly oily around my nose, but dry in other areas (like upper lip, etc.). My concern with an oil cleanse, is that my skin has had some completely unexpected (but thankfully, occasional) break-outs around my chin area. I have always had pretty good skin, so this is unusual for me, but probably not unusual considering my age (40's) and hormone changes. Can anyone recommend a good oil product for cleansing that won't contribute to blemishes?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1461244903|4022023 said:
I might give it a try. I have pretty normal skin that is probably best described as combo - slightly oily around my nose, but dry in other areas (like upper lip, etc.). My concern with an oil cleanse, is that my skin has had some completely unexpected (but thankfully, occasional) break-outs around my chin area. I have always had pretty good skin, so this is unusual for me, but probably not unusual considering my age (40's) and hormone changes. Can anyone recommend a good oil product for cleansing that won't contribute to blemishes?

I love Banila Co. Clean it Zero cleansers.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
AFAIK it is based on Japanese geisha women cleansing their makeup from their faces. They would use an oil to remove the makeup, and then another cleanser to ensure their faces were clean. I have no idea how true that is, but that's what I was always told about it.

I use an oil cleanser, the one I love is from DHC. You apply it to dry skin with dry hands, and work it over your face and eyes, then add a little water to emulsify it. Then you rinse. Then you would follow with another cleanser, I use a foaming one from LaMer (the cleansing gel) to make sure my face is fully clean. I don't use a toner because I've never needed one.

I usually get into the shower and put a few pumps of the DHC in my hand, work it over my face and eyes well, and then start with the water before rinsing. Then I go about my shower, and then wash my face with the La Mer toward the end. I use my hands some days, a Clarisonic with the softest brush they make (cashmere) some nights and a baby washcloth on others. Then I rinse that, and get out. I NEVER dry my face with a towel, only with a fresh piece of paper towel. You never know what's on your body towel.

Then I start with my Vitamin C serum (One Love Organics), and if I am using Retin A that night, I apply that next. Then I put on my "other stuff" which rotates. My last step right now is Cerave night cream, which seals everything in. I make sure there's at least 1 hour between my last layer and going to bed though. Because otherwise my stupid CPAP mask ruins it all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used Banila Co Zero for a while, then decided I didn't like the feeling of a film on my face. I am current testing Botanic Farm grain ferment cleansing sherbet and I love it right off the bat. Having it be mineral free is a bonus.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1461239551|4021993 said:
Missy,
I've never heard of cotzskincare so thank you for the recommendation. It's been nearly 2 days now - any skin improvement yet?

Nothing yet Chrono but not expecting anything so soon given the tiny amount I am trying. Though bad results can happen immediately good results take lots of time in my experience.

Hope you find a good sunscreen soon. I really like the Cotz Face. It has no chemical sunscreen ingredients like so many of the others and I find it so calming.

momhappy|1461244903|4022023 said:

momhappy, here's a list you may find helpful. FYI I found even the non comedogenic oils comedogenic on my face but your skin seems less sensitive so this list might be helpful for you.

https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

This list of ingredients has been derived and compiled from various sources including the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. For more information that includes an irritant rating go to www.acne.org

0 - Will Not Clog Pores
1 - Low
2 - Moderately Low
3 - Moderate
4 - Fairly High
5 - High

Oils & Butters

Almond Oil - 2
Apricot Kernel Oil - 2
Argan Oil - 0
Avocado Oil - 2
Baobab Oil - 2
Borage Oil - 2
Calendula Oil - 1
Camphor - 2
Castor Oil - 1
Cocoa Butter - 4
Coconut Butter - 4
Coconut Oil - 4
Corn Oil - 3
Cotton Seed Oil - 3
Emu Oil - 1
Evening Primrose Oil - 2
Flax Seed Oil - 4
Grape Seed Oil - 2
Hazelnut Oil - 2
Hemp Seed Oil - 0
Jojoba Oil - 2
Jojoba Oil Sulfated - 3
Linseed Oil - 4
Mango Butter - 0
Mineral Oil - 0
Mink Oil - 3
Neem Oil - 1
Olive Oil - 2
Palm Oil - 4
Peach Kernel Oil - 2
Peanut Oil - 2
Petrolatum - 0
Pomegranate Oil - 1
Pumpkin Seed Oil - 2
Rosehip Oil - 1
Safflower Oil (Carthamus tinctorius) - 0
Sandalwood Seed Oil - 2
Sea Buckthorn Oil - 1
Sesame Oil - 2
Shea Butter - 0
Soybean Oil - 3
Sunflower Oil - 0
Tamanu Oil - 2
Wheat Germ Oil - 5
Shark Liver Oil - 3

Waxes

Beeswax - 2
Candelilla Wax - 1
Carnuba Wax - 1
Ceresin Wax - 0
Emulsifying Wax NF - 2
Lanolin Wax - 1

Botanicals

Algae Extract - 5
Aloe Vera Gel - 0
Calendula - 1
Carrageenans - 5
Chamomile - 2
Chamomile Extract - 0
Cold Pressed Aloe - 0
Red Algae - 5

Vitamins & Herbs

Ascorbic Acid - 0
Black Walnut Extract - 0
Tocopherol (Vitamin E) - 2
Vitamin A Palmitate - 2
Panthenol - 0

Antioxidants

Beta Carotene - 1
BHA - 2

Minerals

Algin - 4
Colloidal Sulfur - 3
Flowers of Sulfur - 0
Potassium Chloride - 5
Precipitated Sulfur - 0
Sodium Chloride (Salt) - 5
Talc - 1
Zinc Stearate - 0

Thickeners, Emulsifiers, Detergents

Carbomer 940 - 1
Hydroxypropyl Cellulose - 1
Kaolin - 0
Magnesium Aluminum Silicate - 0
Sodium Laureth Sulfate - 3
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - 5
Sorbitan Oleate - 3

Alcohol, Esters, Ethers, & Sugars

Polysorbate 20 - 0
Polysorbate 80 - 0
Sterol Esters - 0
Behenyl Triglyceride - 0
Butylene Glycol - 1
Cetearyl Alcohol - 2
Diethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether-0
Glycerin - 0
Glyceryl Stearate NSE - 1
Glyceryl Stearate SE - 3
Glyceryl Tricapylo/Caprate - 1
Glyceryl-3-Diisostearate - 4
Hexadecyl Alcohol - 5
Isocetyl Stearate - 5
Isopropyl Alcohol - 0
Laureth 23 - 3
Laureth 4 - 5
Octyl Stearate - 5
Oleth-10 - 2
Oleth-3 - 5
Oleyl Alcohol - 4
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG 400) - 1
Polyethylene Glycol 300 - 1
Polyglyceryl-3-Diisostearate - 4
Propylene Glycol - 0
Propylene Glycol Monostearate - 4
SD Alcohol 40 - 0
Sorbitan Laurate - 1
Sorbitol - 0
Steareth 10 - 4
Steareth 100 - 0
Steareth 2 - 2
Steareth 20 - 2
Wheat Germ Glyceride - 3

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been very happy with both One Love Organics' Vitamin B cleansing oil and the DHC Cleansing Oil. Neither have given me breakouts. I've even mixed them together on occasion. My standby is DHC. Prior to that (like 10 years ago), I used Shu Uemura.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really cool list missy - DH's skin is much reactive and sensitive than mine so it's good to have that handy.

I'm in the market for a vitamin C serum - ame is yours crazy expensive and off the bat do you know the type of vitamin C it contains?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow, missy! That is a comprehensive list - thanks so much for sharing it:)
No wonder coconut oil seemed to make my face break out - it rates a 4 :-o

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Explains why my skin never liked coconut oil by itself. My MIL swears it's the best thing since sliced bread. I personally beg to differ. At least this validates my concerns.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad the list is helpful for you CJ, momhappy and Yimmers. Coconut oil can be so clogging on the face especially. But everyone is different (as your MIL demonstrates Yimmers). Meaning just because something has a high comedogenic factor doesn't mean it will clog your pores though if you are prone to that it will. :((

Interestingly enough in late 2014/early 2015 I tried cleansing with hemp oil (rated a 0 comedogenic factor) and I kept breaking out with papules. I didn't make the connection right away because that was when I was having trouble with my skin and I thought no it could not be the hemp oil it is rated as 0 clogging. Once I stopped it to see if that was the culprit the paps went away and I never tried the OCM again. It just goes to show that we are all so different with what our skin likes and doesn't like.

Also be careful with Petrolatum and Mineral Oil. Even though they rank a 0 they are occlusive and can cause skin issues. Not for everyone of course and my skin is super reactive however some useful info that might be helpful for you. Don't use these 2 ingredients together.

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=petrolatum&search_group=everything&&showmore=everything&atatime=50

https://www.futurederm.com/the-truth-about-petrolatum/

Because petrolatum traps moisture and water-based ingredients under the skin, it can essentially “trap” non-comedogenic ingredients used together with petrolatum under there, causing stronger reactions (Allergy). Be sure to avoid ingredients like lanolin, coconut oil, squalene, mineral oil, and isopropyl myristate when using petrolatum (

Just a general list some might find helpful.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/top-tips-for-safer-products/

http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/

Sorry for all the links but I thought some of you might benefit from them so just adding them here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,
Thank you for the list. It is good to have it all written down for easy reference. For me, I have to stay away from coconut oil, mineral oil, and tree tree oil because they cause closed comedones (white bumps) on my face. Alcohol (ethanol and denatured alcohol) dries out my skin and if in large amount, can also cause breakouts.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yimmers|1461289852|4022288 said:
Explains why my skin never liked coconut oil by itself. My MIL swears it's the best thing since sliced bread. I personally beg to differ. At least this validates my concerns.

Yes, I tried coconut oil based on the recommendations of many, but it just wasn't good for my face. I do love it, however, for my hair - I use it as a deep conditioner at least once a week and it does wonders for my hair.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1461264199|4022133 said:
That is a really cool list missy - DH's skin is much reactive and sensitive than mine so it's good to have that handy.

I'm in the market for a vitamin C serum - ame is yours crazy expensive and off the bat do you know the type of vitamin C it contains?

Vitamin C Ester. It's actually why I switched to that despite the price from the one I was originally using and not getting any results from. I started reading up on Vitamin C products and learned that L-ascorbic acid was not really shelf stable, and a friend of mine that is a chemist told me that L-ascorbic acid should be in a dark bottle at all times, which most, if not all, of the serums I was finding on the market were not being stored in. She said if light hits it, it's toast and it has a ridiculously short shelf life (ie like 2 weeks.) It also won't play nice with retinoids and other skincare products, it cancels them out. But ascorbyl palmitate isn't as light sensitive, has a longer shelf life, but obviously lasts longer in a darker bottle and will play just fine with nearly everything.

My bottle usually lasts me 6-9 months. I use one pump for my entire face right out of the shower, usually 5 days a week, I skip a couple days, and I only use it at night. I also like their cleansing oil.

At One Love Organics, we use Vitamin C ester, also known as ascorbyl palmitate, because it is a more potent source of Vitamin C, is less irritating to the skin, and absorbs more readily than L-asorbic acid. It is also more stable in topical solutions, ensuring a longer shelf-life and protection from free radical damage. For these reasons, the Vitamin C ester in our Vitamin C Facial Serum performs at much lower percentages than typical, L-ascorbic acid based serums on the market.

Why haven’t you heard of Vitamin C ester? Vitamin C ester is less popular in skin care products because it is much more expensive (168% more expensive, in fact) than L-ascorbic acid. In addition to Vitamin C ester, our Vitamin C Serum contains an abundance of ultra-concentrated, plant-based and bio-available ingredients naturally rich in Vitamin C:

Organic Rosehip Oil: A potent superfruit from the rose plant, rosehip is particularly high in Vitamin C content and is one of the richest plant sources of Vitamin C available. Rose hips are also rich in lycopene, essential fatty acids and antioxidant flavonoids.

Baobab Fruit Oil: The Baobab fruit has six times more Vitamin C than an orange. Rich in vitamins A, C, D, E and F, sterols and the amino acid lysine (crucial in the creation of collagen), baobab oil absorbs quickly, is very moisturizing and encourages skin elasticity.

Organic Green Tea has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C. Green Tea works in synergy with and boosts the efficacy of Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which is also included in our formula.

Organic Seabuckthorn: This cherished superfruit is rich in antioxidants, essential amino acids, vitamins A, C, E, and is one of the most powerful sources of the rare Omega 7. It provides an average of 10 times more Vitamin C than oranges and is the third richest source of Vitamin E in the plant world.

Organic Acerola: A tropical plant also known as the Barbados cherry, Acerola can contain as much as 90 times more Witamin C than oranges, is an excellent source of Vitamin A, and is prized for its ability to brighten and even skin tone.

See what we mean? You simply can’t compare One Love Organics’ Vitamin C Serum to those containing common L-ascorbic acid. It’s in a class all its own! Need more proof? This carefully designed formula was named one of the TIA Five Best Vitamin C Serums of 2014 by anti-aging expert Marta Worhle at Truth in Aging.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vitamin C serum I use is Wishtrend / OST C21.5, which is the alcohol free version and comes in a dark bottle. I store it in the refrigerator and you'll know whether it has oxidized by its colour as it should be clear. I've been using it for over a month and it is still clear.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1461335365|4022425 said:
The vitamin C serum I use is Wishtrend / OST C21.5, which is the alcohol free version and comes in a dark bottle. I store it in the refrigerator and you'll know whether it has oxidized by its colour as it should be clear. I've been using it for over a month and it is still clear.
What is the active? Is it l-ascorbic?

The OLO comes out a super light, maybe yellow color, in my hand. That's a mix of the oils and the ester.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1461367834|4022618 said:
What is the active? Is it l-ascorbic? The OLO comes out a super light, maybe yellow color, in my hand. That's a mix of the oils and the ester.

Yes, it is L-Ascorbic and it comes out clear.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone tried the serums from the Drunk (drunken?) elephant? I have been hearing a lot about them recently

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess I am too scared right now to try a Vitamin C serum. However, I got my tax refund and did a little splurging at Sephora. I picked up the Skin, Inc. serums. Buy 3 and the mixing bottle, and you pay for the price of 2. We'll see how they work out. I bought the one with co-Q, licorice root, and the ceramide. Wish me luck!

People do seem to like Drunk Elephant online but those tend to be those makeup bloggers. If you do try it, let us know!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I might get a serum or 2 once I use up what I have,. I have so many different products waiting to be opened (I don't like to open anything new until I have used up something). And I want to use those first

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers|1461378653|4022650 said:
I guess I am too scared right now to try a Vitamin C serum. However, I got my tax refund and did a little splurging at Sephora. I picked up the Skin, Inc. serums. Buy 3 and the mixing bottle, and you pay for the price of 2. We'll see how they work out. I bought the one with co-Q, licorice root, and the ceramide. Wish me luck!

People do seem to like Drunk Elephant online but those tend to be those makeup bloggers. If you do try it, let us know!

Good luck Yimmers!!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone use SK-II Treatment Essence? It was on RueLaLa recently and despite the high price tag, I purchased it. I'm hoping it's worth it... Also, I'm not seeing the results I had hoped for with Grandelash - has anyone else been disappointed with it?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1461432912|4022814 said:
Does anyone use SK-II Treatment Essence? It was on RueLaLa recently and despite the high price tag, I purchased it. I'm hoping it's worth it... Also, I'm not seeing the results I had hoped for with Grandelash - has anyone else been disappointed with it?

I use it and I LOVE it!. I also use the SK-II lotion as a toner, and their eye cream.

The essence is amazing, and I saw a difference in less then a week. My complexion got better, and my skin was softer.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Good afternoon beauties--I received a sample of Laneige Water Sleeping Mask this morning with my new issue of Allure magazine. The instructions are to cleanse and then apply and keep it on overnight.

I use Isomers products and the only thing I use overnight is their soy serum.

Has anyone used this new product or have you tried anything else in this line? My skin is in really good condition, but there's always room for improvement. On the other hand, I'm afraid of waking up blotchy, red or broken out.

Thanx for any help you can offer.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I haven't used Lanieges water sleeping mask but I have tried their products in the past. I have very sensitive skin, and none of their products caused any irritation or redness for me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1461432912|4022814 said:
SKII was a HUGE allergic reaction for me. The amount of yeast was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results