shape
carat
color
clarity

East-West set oval diamond

meka5

Rough_Rock
So I have been looking around for something a little more "unique" when it comes to engagement rings. My girlfriend is creative/artistic and definitely has a style of her own. I went from looking at rounds to ovals, and then to a sideways set oval. I checked it out with a few different bands, and I like the look. My question is, what are people's thoughts on this? I went to Solomon Brothers (in Atlanta) here today, and I mentioned what I was thinking, and she immediately kind of brushed off the idea...saying she wouldn't recommend it...it would look dated after a while, etc...said if my girlfriend hasn't given me any indication she wants sideways oval, I should definitely avoid it. Safe advice, I'm sure...but is it that crazy? What do people here think about the look of an east-west set oval diamond??

Thanks!

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I'm an oval girl... I love the e/w. Orientation.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I came out in a rash for a change a couple of years ago, and was really hankering for an e-w oval.
I would be careful to avoid bow tie though. while bow tie isn't enough to put me off an oval depending on the stone, I became worried that the effect might be greater to my eye if the stone was placed east west.
It would be great to be able to see the oval in person (or seek the personal advice from a trusted sales rep) regarding the bow tie effect on the stone you choose. the style itself can look very contemporary and eyecatching though!

Another alternative is to consider a setting that gives an oval look. Tiffany does a nice one of these:
Tiffany ribbon.

Hearts on Fire also does some interesting settings.
Hope this photo comes out...

tiffany_ribbon_ring_1.jpg

hearts_on_fire_optima_halo_ring.png

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Love the idea of E/W ovals or emerald cuts! Sounds like your girlfriend would be up for a different look but if you want to be sure, you can drop hints or ask one of her friends to ask her under the radar before you go out of your way to design her one. This is a very unique look and even if your girlfriend has unconventional taste, it doesn't necessarily mean she wants an unconventional engagement ring. I attached some E/W ideas. This jewelry company plays with a lot of E/W designs too: http://singlestone.com/index.php?page=home..
Good luck and please come back to post what you come up with!

exoval.jpg

ewemerald.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think EW oval rings can look very nice. Have you two been ring shopping? That can give you an idea what style she seems to like.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE e/w ovals. And I think it's definitely unique without being unique for the sake of being different, but still traditional enough to be an e-ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm good with an E/W oval...but only because you said your GF has her own style/artsy etc. I love that first one posted
by ElleElle. Really pretty.

A N/S would be a much safter choice but...if you think she would like it I think its ok.

I wonder if you can have one set with a donut in the shank so if at some point she does decide she wants N/S they could
just cut it out, turn it and put it back in. Probably wouldnt be as easy as it sounds but I think a really good bench might
be able to do it as long as there are no diamonds on the shank/donut.

Also wanted to ask what size fingers does your GF have? What size stone are you looking at? If your GF has larger, shorter
fingers then I dont think it would be very flattering (best to stick with N/S). If she has normal or small longer fingers then
E/W would be find.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
PLEASE listen to the sales associate on this one and do not go E/W, I think the idea of an oval cut is great (but do watch out for the bowties like others mentioned) and ovals are beautiful (I was looking a them but ended up going cushion), and I like to be unique, too, (which is why I did not opt for a round b/c so many have them, however I would definitely take an Old European Cut round any day since those are rare to see!)

BUT when I look at an E/W set oval it makes the center stone end up looking so much smaller to me than it really is, and it looks awkward to me-- like I just want to take it and turn it around like it is "supposed" to go...

You can always get her an E/W set colored stone ring down the road at some point (I had one actually, an aquamarine E/W halo it was really really beautiful, however under no circumstances would I have wanted that for an ering design, especially since that aqua was super huge already so it wasn't looking smaller facing that way, so unless you have like a 4 carat center diamond I wouldn't consider it, it will look smaller.

For an ering I would not do it at all, other rings sure why not if you want (but I don't think it would look good at all without a huge stone) but please don't do it! An oval is such a great cut b/c when set the regular way, will always look like a bigger stone size and elongates the finger, I love them! But it will just look like a band set E/W and then will look even more "off" IMO with a wedding band under it, like she just has 2 bands, and you would lose the large stone look by setting it E/W (doesn't every girl want her ering stone to look as big as it possibly can? :)

I say absolutely go for the oval (with a gorgeous halo setting, or even google Blake Lively's engagement ring, that was an oval set in rose gold, and was gorgeous, gorgeous, you can get unique with the setting or the gold color, rose gold could be awesome IMO) but I beg you please don't go east west, I think for an ering it would be a big regret! Clearly my opinion is different than some of the other posters on here, but those are my reasons :) Good luck!

Sorry to be so blunt but trying to give my real opinion, good luck I know you will pick something beautiful and unique, but please follow the associates advice and don't do that for an ering, of course this is only my opinion but I am def with the sales associate on this one, despite some of the nicer looking pics from other posters, I still wouldn't do it!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of E-W design not just with ovals but other cuts too. It's not a dated but unusual look. I wouldn't reject it right away but just investigate a bit more because SA and others in this thread are correct in that you need to figure out if your GF likes this design. She might be a traditional round kind of girl even though she's artsy. What kind or style jewelry does she currently have? Has she ever pointed out a piece IRL or magazine and said she liked it?

Here is one of most admired PS rings. E-W set marquise. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1402496746|3690841 said:
I'm a big fan of E-W design not just with ovals but other cuts too. It's not a dated but unusual look. I wouldn't reject it right away but just investigate a bit more because SA and others in this thread are correct in that you need to figure out if your GF likes this design. She might be a traditional round kind of girl even though she's artsy. What kind or style jewelry does she currently have? Has she ever pointed out a piece IRL or magazine and said she liked it?

Here is one of most admired PS rings. E-W set marquise. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

I adore that ring baby monster! Its just done so well. Its elegant and a real beauty. I would never look at that ring and
think it needs to be turned N/S. But I think she (the girl) designed her own ring so you've got to be really sure that its
something your GF would love.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I really prefer a N/S orientation for ovals - I think one of the prettiest features of an oval is the elegant, lengthening look it has on the finger. IMO a N/S setting adds finger presence and just looks very graceful. That said, I'm pretty traditional, and you mention that your SO wants something unique, so maybe she'll like it. I think I'd try to figure out some way to find out for sure though.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm a fan of e-w diamonds in semi-bezels or bezels myself! I just happen to have an e-w EC in a Sholdt semi-bezel so I'm here to cheer you on :appl:

Here are a couple of links for you to look at, all modern bezel styles:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-22-i-if-select-ideal-east-west-oval-14k-wg-engagement-ring.179161/ LOVE THIS :love:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-east-west-oval-bezel-e-ring.182051/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-east-west-oval-bezel-e-ring.182051/[/URL] Full Bezel :))

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/[/URL]
Another cool semi-bezel :sun:

If you decide to go N-S, here's a link to a Maevona setting that I love: http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA6_STR

They also have an e-w with or with-out pave: http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA33_EOR_OV

I have an oval spinel that I'm going to set e-w for a RHR . Interested to see what you decide. I have chosen the unique clean sleek look in my jewelry. I wouldn't be thrilled with a pave covered thin shank ring like the famous Blake Lively humongous oval. It would be going back for a plain sleek setting! Too much pave IMHO. If you are going with a 1ct to 1.50ct more typical size diamond, setting it e-w will give you a much bigger look.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have an E/W set oval, so I'm a bit partial. I think it's a nice look, but maybe see if you can hint and make sure she would like it too.

pendant013.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1402497789|3690850 said:
Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I really prefer a N/S orientation for ovals - I think one of the prettiest features of an oval is the elegant, lengthening look it has on the finger. IMO a N/S setting adds finger presence and just looks very graceful. That said, I'm pretty traditional, and you mention that your SO wants something unique, so maybe she'll like it. I think I'd try to figure out some way to find out for sure though.

I agree with Junebug mainly because I have longer thin fingers and the north south position looks much prettier on my hand. I have a couple engagement rings and in all honesty have found that you have to try different shapes on your finger to know what looks best. There are so many rings that I love the look of but they somehow don't look quite as nice on my finger as they do on someone else's. I suggest you have her try rings on and let her decide what shape and type setting she prefers. Although this will ruin the surprise factor if that is what you were trying to achieve.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer N/S for me - I think it looks great on others.

Would you consider a coloured diamond or stone? That would make it more unique.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
That e-w Maevona setting is stunning. Unique, creative and classy all at the same time. Great find woofmama.

lindyloot

Rough_Rock
My brand spanking new East West (horizontally set) oval. petite micro pave band. In general, I hate the rampant overuse of pave chips on the halo, double halo or triple halo and on 3 sides of the band and prongs....yech. THAT said, because rings these days are so ornate, a solitaire solitaire seems "naked" . It was a toss up between a thin (plain) yellow gold band and the palladium petite pave. The yellow contrast to the white stone would have added a bit of interest. It was purchased thru Brilliance (ask for Anthony). In actuality very few east west ovals that aren't too industrial or too eaten up by the pave stones that make a 1.25 ct stone a "4 carat ring!) So these guys just set stone horizontally in a stock setting! Initially started off w custom department but we figured it was unnecessary. Love the finished product!

_30705.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
This Sholdt oval is my favorite! :love: :love:

sholdt_oval.jpg

bilson

Rough_Rock
lindyloot|1433043119|3883168 said:
My brand spanking new East West (horizontally set) oval. petite micro pave band. In general, I hate the rampant overuse of pave chips on the halo, double halo or triple halo and on 3 sides of the band and prongs....yech. THAT said, because rings these days are so ornate, a solitaire solitaire seems "naked" . It was a toss up between a thin (plain) yellow gold band and the palladium petite pave. The yellow contrast to the white stone would have added a bit of interest. It was purchased thru Brilliance (ask for Anthony). In actuality very few east west ovals that aren't too industrial or too eaten up by the pave stones that make a 1.25 ct stone a "4 carat ring!) So these guys just set stone horizontally in a stock setting! Initially started off w custom department but we figured it was unnecessary. Love the finished product!

lindy - hopefully you see this post. i'm currently shopping for a ring for my GF that is very similar to the one you posted last year. i was hoping to get a few more details about your ring (l/w ratio, diamond size, etc.). also was hoping to get some tips on east west settings. i see they didn't have to do much custom for yours. how did that work? i really appreciate any advice you can give, or anyone for that matter.

gorgeous ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bilson|1460995944|4020812 said:
lindyloot|1433043119|3883168 said:

lindy - hopefully you see this post. i'm currently shopping for a ring for my GF that is very similar to the one you posted last year. i was hoping to get a few more details about your ring (l/w ratio, diamond size, etc.). also was hoping to get some tips on east west settings. i see they didn't have to do much custom for yours. how did that work? i really appreciate any advice you can give, or anyone for that matter.

gorgeous ring!

i suggest you start your own thread. people will be happy to help, and youll probably get more info in your own thread

topknot

Rough_Rock
Ovals are by far my favorite stone and have been for years! I love the look of the E/W but I think I would get sick of it overtime. One reason I love oval is for the elongated look epecially since my fingers are long and thin, and I feel like overtime I would regret it not being set the normal way. But if your gf loves different and artisc things, maybe show her a picture and see what she says!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
junebug17|1402497789|3690850 said:

I agree with Junebug. I'm an oval girl, and while I love the look of an E/W orientation, it would look awful on my small hands/short fingers. If your gf has long, elegant fingers, then it might work, but it's a factor to consider....no girl wants something that makes her fingers look stubby! :shock:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm another who likes the look, but it looks horrible on my hands.

That said, if your lady is creative and artistic. I think maybe going for soemthing 'different' just by the seat of your pants is a mistake. She probably has a pinterest page or a strong idea already of what she likes and doesn't like.

So I think you should probably do some research on what HER likes are. YOU are not going to be wearing the thing. so forgive me for being blunt, but what you like isn't really what matters here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results