carat
color
clarity

Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom law"

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

I prefer Mumford & Sons' approach instead of Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams'. By donating proceeds from the concert scheduled before the law was enacted, the fans get to enjoy the show, workers who support the concert and venue get income, and the LGBTQ community benefits. Performers shouldn't disappoint fans because a crappy law came into being after tickets were already sold and related travel arrangements may have been made.

Mumford & Sons to Donate Profits From Charlotte Show to LGBTQ Organization
By Jeffrey Clayton

Mumford & Sons will play to a sold out crowd in Charlotte Time Warner Cable Arena on Thursday night.

The band will donate all of their profits to a new fund that will “support those who have made it their mission to pursue love and justice.” They will start by making a donation to a Charlotte-area LGBTQ organization.

Mumford & Sons shared their message with fans on Facebook:

“Dear friends,

We will be playing a show tomorrow in Charlotte, and recent events in North Carolina have got us talking a lot as a band the last few days, so we felt compelled to say something in advance to you.

As a band that relishes welcoming everyone to our shows and promoting tolerance, we do want to take a stand with the people of North Carolina who this week are shouting loudly against intolerance, fear and discrimination.

Over the years we’ve looked for ways to contribute to the vitality of local communities and, in that spirit, we’re now creating a charitable fund to support those who have made it their mission to pursue love and justice. We will be donating all of our profits from this show to this new fund. And we will start by making a donation from it to a local LGBTQ organisation.

As always, we will open the doors to our show to anyone who wants to come, and are excited to get down with the people of Charlotte.

M, B, W & T”

This gesture is in response to the controversial state law known as “HB2” and the “Bathroom Law.” The law overturned a non-discrimination Charlotte ordinance that extended protections to the LGBTQ community. Bruce Springsteen and Ringo Starr are among the artists who have cancelled concerts in North Carolina to protest the law. Other artists, including Jimmy Buffett, have spoken out against the law while still planning to perform in the state.

http://chapelboro.com/news/entertainment/mumford-sons-to-donate-profits-from-charlotte-show-to-lgbtq-organization

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1460580549|4018944 said:
ruby59|1460580303|4018941 said:
They have been doing so for years. Get over it.

I always shake my head when I see this type of response.

What are those who disagree supposed to get over - our opinion, our concerns, our rights.

I am sure you do not appreciate that response from people who feel bathrooms should be separate and that you should just "get over it."

It is not those who embrace the future who should "get over it", but those who cling to the past.

Equality will take time, but because equality is moral it is inevitable.

What drives me crazy is that so many (most) people will talk about acceptance or if they can't choke out that word, they will at least say the word "tolerance." But when the rubber hits the road, the real truth comes out. People aren't as accepting as they seem and they start squawking about "their rights" as if they are somehow MORE important than the rights of people who are "different" than everyone else.

The only small detail of this bathroom issue that has changed at all is the fact that certain people were made aware of the fact that transgender people use the restroom of their choosing. Before this enlightenment, the general public did not give this issue much thought. How do I know transgenders were using the restroom of their choosing? Because I have never seen a dude saunter into the women's restroom and take a wizz.

This is an issue that never bothered anyone before this newfound awareness. This tells me that no one has been harmed while transgender people have been using their chosen restrooms. This also means that imposters could have come up with the ultra clever plot to dress up as a woman and assault her at any given time... Is this a common means for assault against women? No. I doubt it ever will be.

This is just a new way to stigmatize a group of people who is already incredibly stigmatized. Transgender people are hunted down and beaten, they are killed, just for trying to be themselves. Their attempted suicide rate is 41%. The way we treat the transgender population should not only be about acceptance, it should be about compassion. We should be extending compassion, not prejudice or disgusting, unfounded rhetoric toward a vulnerable group of our society.

So when I say get over it... I totally mean it. I mean get over yourselves. Open your eyes. There are people in our society that are being attacked because they are different and it is unacceptable.

We've done this so many times already in our history. It has NEVER worked and it has always been a horrible mark in our history. When will we ever learn?

hay joe

Shiny_Rock

I thought most of you liked big government.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I would like to suggest that all the pee that could not be peed in the restrooms of peoples gender identities be collected and brought to the NC legislature.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1460681212|4019469 said:
I would like to suggest that all the pee that could not be peed in the restrooms of peoples gender identities be collected and brought to the NC legislature.

Seconded. I live in Indiana, and women here call Mike Pence's office to report their menstrual cycle activity since he is so interested in the contents of our uteri.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

screen_shot_2016-04-14_at_6.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My son's school (for 5 to 11 year olds) introduced a rule towards the end of last year that any child that was transgender or felt threatened could use which ever bathroom they wanted. It's a small Aussie school, they can't afford to build a new bathroom. When they introduced it they explained to all the kids to be respectful of others when using which ever toilet, and it is only in place for children that specifically do not wish to use one particular bathroom for a reason and not to randomly use the wrong bathroom.

Some of the parents objected, the Principal who is very forward thinking ignored them. I asked my 8 year old how it works and he said if kids feel bullied (which most of them don't because its a great school) or if the minority (we are talking probably one or two) want to use the other gender's bathroom they can. The kids themselves don't make a big deal about it.

If there are clear rules written from a place of tolerance and respect obviously with children it can work. It seems to me it was many of the parents that had to change their mindset not the kids, the kids don't attack or pick on the very small minority that do use the new system and those that use it don't abuse the system or the other children. Any child that goes into the wrong bathroom just to be funny, to watch other children or to generally cause mischief, the parents are phoned. A discussion is had by the school and the parents and if they have misused the toilets as deemed by the school, the child is put on detention and are punished so the children do not abuse the system. The school also knows about the one or two children that might use the other bathroom and all the staff are aware and therefore like the children do not make any sort of fuss that those children going in and out of the other bathroom.

Notes were sent home that any parents that wanted their children to be able to use the other bathroom, or indeed both bathrooms, should have a dialogue with the school that way everyone was on the same page in protecting the safety and rights of ALL the children in the school.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1460685219|4019499 said:
My son's school (for 5 to 11 year olds) introduced a rule towards the end of last year that any child that was transgender or felt threatened could use which ever bathroom they wanted. It's a small Aussie school, they can't afford to build a new bathroom. When they introduced it they explained to all the kids to be respectful of others when using which ever toilet, and it is only in place for children that specifically do not wish to use one particular bathroom for a reason and not to randomly use the wrong bathroom.

Some of the parents objected, the Principal who is very forward thinking ignored them. I asked my 8 year old how it works and he said if kids feel bullied (which most of them don't because its a great school) or if the minority (we are talking probably one or two) want to use the other gender's bathroom they can. The kids themselves don't make a big deal about it.

If there are clear rules written from a place of tolerance and respect obviously with children it can work. It seems to me it was many of the parents that had to change their mindset not the kids, the kids don't attack or pick on the very small minority that do use the new system and those that use it don't abuse the system or the other children. Any child that goes into the wrong bathroom just to be funny, to watch other children or to generally cause mischief, the parents are phoned. A discussion is had by the school and the parents and if they have misused the toilets as deemed by the school, the child is put on detention and are punished so the children do not abuse the system. The school also knows about the one or two children that might use the other bathroom and all the staff are aware and therefore like the children do not make any sort of fuss that those children going in and out of the other bathroom.

Notes were sent home that any parents that wanted their children to be able to use the other bathroom, or indeed both bathrooms, should have a dialogue with the school that way everyone was on the same page in protecting the safety and rights of ALL the children in the school.

How beautiful, and simple! :appl:

Interesting it's adults, not kids, who flip out about all this.
This gives me hope for the future.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes it was the adults that flipped out, complained, sent in letters etc. The principal has lots of guts. He makes sure that all the staff and kids are on the same page and that no kids abuse the system period.

I asked my 8 year old how he would feel if one of the girls used his bathroom or went with him and he shrugged his shoulders and said "who cares" meaning he has more to worry about in life than that. One if his best friends is a girl who is a complete Tomboy anyway so I doubt it would bother him at all.

I think we the adults teach and lead by example, in this case if we demonstrate not to make a big deal about it, and make sure ALL the children are safe and have rights, the children themselves are both respectful to others and don't make a big deal about it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1460682103|4019476 said:

Seconded. I live in Indiana, and women here call Mike Pence's office to report their menstrual cycle activity since he is so interested in the contents of our uteri.

I read about that yesterday (the first day I got my computer back and learned about the campaign). I like the campaign women are waging against Mike Pence. I wonder if we could hone VL's suggestion in any way so that it could be put into actual use (in the way that the Mike Pence campaign is being put) to make North Carolina's governor feel the sting.

I mean, I am assuming that people will not-in actuality-pool their urine and bring it to the NC legislature. But maybe they would bombard the North Carolina legislature-or governor-with tweets abut a subject parallel to that of the Menstruating Women of Indiana.

Also: it has to be unconstitutional to force women to bury or cremate "fetuses" they miscarry. As one woman pointed out on the webpage I read, there is no way for a woman to know how many fertilized eggs she may have lost that she once carried! If she doesn't know a fertilized egg is there, how can she give it this proper burial the law requires once it is expelled? And can you imagine having to have a funeral for an embryo that is a day old? It is beyond bizarre. I think that Mike Pence should be require to pay funeral expenses for all the embryos that have to be buried.

Don't get me wrong, folks. I am not making light of dead babies. My current cleaning woman, who has become a friend, has three children...two in elementary school and a 25 year-old daughter in medical school. But she gave birth to a stillborn baby between the 25 year-old and the two little boys. She went full term and the baby was born dead because he strangled with the cord around his neck. She named him Chad Michael and has his birthstone on her mother's ring. Now that was a baby who could have lived outside of the womb had tragedy not intervened. But not a two-day old fertilized egg.

The way we women are built, we cannot mourn every miscarriage. For those of us who are married or just fertile and having heterosexual sex without birth control, miscarriages are going to happen with regularity.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1460580303|4018941 said:
They have been doing so for years. Get over it.

I always shake my head when I see this type of response.

What are those who disagree supposed to get over - our opinion, our concerns, our rights.

I am sure you do not appreciate that response from people who feel bathrooms should be separate and that you should just "get over it."

I know for a fact that I have shared bathroom facilities with more than one transgender woman - that I was aware of. One was a colleague who transitioned during the time I knew her, the other was an older woman who worked at a guest house I was staying at. I've no idea where each was in the gender chance process - I used one stall, they used another, and it simply wasn't an issue. Each presented herself as female, though I suspect that most adults would realize that had not been born that way, though I think most would also be able to tell the difference between a transgender woman and a male trying to pass as a woman.

However - In no way would I want either of these women, or any other transgender woman, to be forced to use a men's bathroom facility. I think that forcing them to do so is putting their safety at risk. Think about it: both were (in all likelihood) using female hormones, and therefore had aggression impulses and muscle tone similar to women rather than men. It's not a stretch to imagine them using the men's facilities and running into some drunk yahoo who for whatever unfathomable reason feels that their gender choice undermines his sexual identity... the result would not be pretty.

By the way I lived in co-ed housing co-ops with co-ed bathroom facilities way back when I was in college. We're talking about teenagers and young adults here, with lots of hormones coursing through their veins. It was never an issue.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid said:

Haha my favorite suggestion yet! :Up_to_something: :bigsmile: I nominate VapidLapid for President please. :appl: :appl: :appl:

VRBeauty said:
By the way I lived in co-ed housing co-ops with co-ed bathroom facilities way back when I was in college. We're talking about teenagers and young adults here, with lots of hormones coursing through their veins. It was never an issue.

Exactly and same here. My college dorms were co-ed too including the bathrooms and shower facilities. NEVER a problem.
So many have trouble respecting the rights of others simply because *they* are against the way transgendered (or fill in the blank of any discriminated group of individuals here) people are living their lives. Pure and simple from my point of view.

calvinandhobbessexualdiscrimiination.jpg

calvinandhobbesondenial.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

Housecat-- I loved your last post. I think you are 100% on target. Really good post!

VR Beauty-- Your last post also resonated with me. Why would we want to expose transgendered women to the possibility of a violent reaction by having to use a mens bathroom.

Many yrs ago I read a book called "Advise and Consent". I remember staying up till four in the morning reading because I was so engrossed in the story. It was my first exposure to a compassionate treatment of a man that was homosexual. His very young partner committed suicide. While I cannot say that my attitude changed toward gays at that time, I knew that no matter what, there could be no earthly reason anyone should have to commit suicide over this. No one should be exposed to the violence of others or made to feel so bad that they take their own life because they are different. So, let's stop thinking they are men, they are women now.

Annette

Zlata

Rough_Rock

"So, let's stop thinking they are men, they are women now." smitcompton

This is the golden truth of the matter.

We had an employee, a man who wore dresses and skirts, occasionally a kilt. He had a grey beard and long grey hair. He identified as a man, so he used the men's room.

Another employee was a man who later transitioned to a woman. She used the women's room.

Gender identity is innate and is not related to sexuality or outward appearance, such as clothes.

Of course, same for a woman who transitions to a man. He may use the men's room.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree completely with you both Annette and Ziata.

They are who they are now and we should think of them the way they think of themselves.

Yesterday was another great example of why I think bathrooms should be for all (Multigender) and not segregated.

We were cycling and one of our normal bathroom stops in Ocean Grove appeared to be open. Yay. So we stopped and lo and behold it turned out the men's room was indeed open but the ladies restroom was closed. Why? :confused: No clue. However easy enough to fix.

My dh stood guard while I used the men's restroom and then he took his turn. A few other women had come by then and we stood guard for them too. Listen, it's 2016. A bathroom is for necessities sake and not a luxury OK? Let's make it easier on everyone and just let everyone use the restroom of their choice. Or better yet let the restrooms be for everyone and not segregated into men/women and other. For goodness sakes let's behave like the civilized people I know we are and let's all just get along. ::)

Posting a pic from our restroom stop in Ocean Grove.

womensroomclosedbutmensroomopenluckyformeidontmindusingthemensroomjpg.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, is that post for tying your horse?

4horse.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1460990176|4020784 said:

I'm no equestrian expert, however 2010-2012 I ran a pub with one of those out the front. Yes it was for horses and yes we would have people tie their horses up out the front and come in for a beer and meal. The local police used to hate it and kept begging us to get rid of it but it used to be a big hit with customers that had kids, so I hid behind the pub's heritage listing in order to keep it and keep the customers on horseback coming in :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gee whiz, there's nothing like a guy with a 'horse-thingie'! :cheeky:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now we just need Jambalaya to complete the vaguely inappropriate comments and I'm good for today! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1460991480|4020789 said:
kenny|1460990176|4020784 said:

I'm no equestrian expert, however 2010-2012 I ran a pub with one of those out the front. Yes it was for horses and yes we would have people tie their horses up out the front and come in for a beer and meal. The local police used to hate it and kept begging us to get rid of it but it used to be a big hit with customers that had kids, so I hid behind the pub's heritage listing in order to keep it and keep the customers on horseback coming in :bigsmile:

Yes Jordy is exactly right. I don't see many horses in Ocean Grove but it is a quaint historic town with lots of lovely original touches. And I am happy to report both the men's room and ladies room were open on Monday. Progress. :cheeky:

I will add that I use the post for stretching during our long bike rides when we stop for our bathroom break in OG. So it is very versatile and multifunctional. :bigsmile:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

We have family in OG and go every summer. I've been to that spot countless times and have never noticed the horse rail. You know I will be looking for it this summer :)

That Ladies room has always been open when I've looked for it. I wonder if there was an oversight in opening it that day, or maybe a maintenance issue. Though if that were the case, surely a little sign on the door would have been helpful. Happily, you had your hubby to stand as watchman for you.

To the original subject. As long as I have my own stall, I have no concert about who else is in the restroom with me.

KK

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KaeKae|1461130955|4021529 said:
Missy,

We have family in OG and go every summer. I've been to that spot countless times and have never noticed the horse rail. You know I will be looking for it this summer :)

That Ladies room has always been open when I've looked for it. I wonder if there was an oversight in opening it that day, or maybe a maintenance issue. Though if that were the case, surely a little sign on the door would have been helpful. Happily, you had your hubby to stand as watchman for you.

To the original subject. As long as I have my own stall, I have no concert about who else is in the restroom with me.

KK

KK, I remember and often think of you when we ride through OG. Maybe this summer if it works out we can meet in OG. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yesterday a federal appeals court in Richmond, Virginia decided a case that will settle this issue.

"Weeks after a new North Carolina law put transgender bathroom access at the heart of the nation’s culture wars, a federal appeals court in Richmond, Va., ruled on Tuesday in favor of a transgender student who was born female and wishes to use the boys’ restroom at his rural Virginia high school.

Advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people note that the ruling from the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit applies to North Carolina, where the controversial law approved last month limits transgender people to bathrooms in government buildings, including public schools, that correspond with the gender listed on their birth certificates.

As a result of the ruling, those advocates say, that portion of the North Carolina law that applies to public schools now clearly violates Title IX — the federal law that prohibits gender discrimination in schools.

'Our expectation is that the North Carolina schools reverse course immediately, as in tomorrow,' Sarah Warbelow, the legal director for the Human Rights Campaign, an L.G.B.T. rights group, said Tuesday night."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/us/appeals-court-favors-transgender-student-in-virginia-restroom-case.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

We're working on our plans now. Looks like I'll be there the last week of June thru the first or second week of July. I'll let you know when the plans are set!

KK

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KaeKae|1461185859|4021811 said:
Missy,

We're working on our plans now. Looks like I'll be there the last week of June thru the first or second week of July. I'll let you know when the plans are set!

KK

:appl: Looking forward to it!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't know that people were boycotting Target because of their support of transgender rights - I have not seen any protests and I've been to Target at least 2x/week in the last month. I'm glad that I was supporting them even without knowing it. I have mixed feelings about sharing a bathroom with males but I understand the bigger goal - and I know that if I was born male but every bit of me felt female (or vice versa) - whether or not I had an operation - it would really bother me if I had to use the men's bathroom. I would feel as if society was declaring that being transgender is not "real"or worthy of equal treatment.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/target-boycott-reached-boiling-point-140049014.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah. I've been shopping at Target as much as I can. And I've even talked to the manager of our local store and told him how much I support their stance and that I've increased by spending at their store as a result.

BIGOTS are coming out of the woodwork everywhere. It is a sad time to be an American.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's actually a nice idea Gypsy - I'm sure the managers and employees are taking some kind of heat on a daily basis over this (in addition to the usual heat they get from people.) :[

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for sharing this CJ and Gypsy. We love Target but don't get to go there very much but now we will and continue to support them by making it our priority to get there and buy stuff from them. Thanks for posting this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results